Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Occlusion Online: PC Wips *Nudity*

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Indecom polycounter lvl 16
So i was recently commissioned to create texture and animate the playable races for an mmo. I figured i might as well let you guys see what i'm doing get some crits from you if you have any you'd like to share.

The first character is the Orc, an rpg standard, except i like to think i added some flavor to what could have been a rather drab concept. I like how most of it has turned out, except for the legs, the way i have my coordinates and polygons laid out could likely have been done much better, but i will see what i can to rectify that. Feel free to do any paintovers if you like.

Beauty render:
OrcBeauty5.png

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    haha, nice stlye, although I have nothing against cocks on models (on the contrary, I'd be the first one to add one) but you should have put those polies into more details into critical deformation areas (shoulders, back, elbows, butt) and shape (toes, back/butt again, etc)
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i still do have a lot of polygons left to use, i'm at 2000- in a 3000 limit. I can still go in and make those changes. The penis will be in one of those removable patches on the characters body, when you swap it out for a loin cloth or pants or whatever. so, the poly count will pretty much be the same whether its there or not.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    lol, penis.

but seriously, i noticed a strange error in your anatomy. I did a quick paintover.

I think correcting this issue could make it AWESOME!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, nice paintover Keen, lol.

Not sure if they buyers would take the alteration as well as i however. :P
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    so when you say "i like to think i added some flavor to what could have been a rather drab concept." you mean you added some cock! :D so the plan is to animate the cock bouncing up and down too then? :D
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah, no. I was referring to the stylized appearance and exaggerated overall form.

However, if anyone has anything to say about something other than penis, that would be great, otherwise, you can stop filling the thread with comments that dont actually provide me with any help at all, since thats what i came here for after all.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    The overall style is good, the geometry looks nice, maybe arc the back a bit more because the size of the arms make the character seem to be a lumbering type. The willy could go though, if its an MMO I'm not sure how well it would fit. Unless theres a hole in the market.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'll have to refrain from given crits for the time being as it's not screaming 'orc' at the moment, just 'creature'
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Well, he did say it's a interchangable part and for all we know, the concept could require that he model the penis so I don't think crits on whether it should stay or go will help him.

Nothing really to crit that hasn't already been said (add more loops for deformation in the elbows, arc the back). More mass outward in the chest area, it's looking pretty flat, which doesn't work with the massive arms and shoulders.

I'm curious to see how the head will turn out and match the current body you have going, keep it up. I think the head will drive the rest of the model.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i am definitely taking those into account, and altering the mesh. Work has begun on the head already, and i might retopo, not sure yet. I'll see how the head turns out.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Indecom wrote: »
    hah, no. I was referring to the stylized appearance and exaggerated overall form.

However, if anyone has anything to say about something other than penis, that would be great, otherwise, you can stop filling the thread with comments that dont actually provide me with any help at all, since thats what i came here for after all.

you came to polycount for that?

all people come here for is cock.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, well, if thats what i wanted, i'm sure there are much more suited places for that kind of thing, lol.

at this moment, i'm trying to decide on how i want the face to turn out. I did sketch it out before hand, but i dont really like the design, so i think i'm going to play a bit, and look at some references and try to come up with a coherent style and appealing look.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So is this an adult oriented MMO? Never seen any game that would allow for that extra appendage, so why would you need or want it on the model?
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    Penis

captainobvious.jpg

Its the first thing I noticed to. IF your going to add genetalia to a model you have to do it tastefully...make it relate to your character in some way. Be sure this creature has a reason for running around with that little dude hangin' out.

As for topology, I would add another edge loop around the forearms and in the back to make it a little more rounded.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah the only MMO i've seen which should technically allow for nudity, is the Daemonettes of Slaanesh in WAR (the miniatures all have one bare breast). but even WAR turned them male =/
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    The overall style is good, the geometry looks nice, maybe arc the back a bit more because the size of the arms make the character seem to be a lumbering type. The willy could go though, if its an MMO I'm not sure how well it would fit. Unless theres a hole in the market.

ha ha ha ha
    awesome

lets see the head
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a wip shot of the head so far, might tweak it still.

orchead2.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah the only MMO i've seen which should technically allow for nudity, is the Daemonettes of Slaanesh in WAR (the miniatures all have one bare breast). but even WAR turned them male =/

hey now, that was because of the GW redesign! Anyway, we can't have exposed boobies in a T rated game.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any crits on my head design guys? it doesnt look too great but hopefully the texture will help add some needed character, unless you guys can give me som crits or do a paintover to help out.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    The top of the ear seems flat, lacks crease.
    Anyway, we can't have exposed boobies in a T rated game.

There was a time where that could happen (*cough*Icewind Dale*cough*Hexen II*cough*)
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thats a pretty easy fix i think.

Oh, more to that list, Elder scrolls 1 and 2 and daggerfall.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he looks happy to be an orc =P

the traditional green orc has a few distinct features:
    -small and wide nose
    -strong jawline
    -strong browridge

of course this is all just stereotypes. not evey orc I've met irl looks this way
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to step away from the stereotype a bit here. But i can go in and tweak some things to make him more distinguishably orcish.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhoymand wrote: »
    he looks happy to be an orc =P

the traditional green orc has a few distinct features:
    -small and wide nose
    -strong jawline
    -strong browridge

of course this is all just stereotypes. not evey orc I've met irl looks this way

He could be a half breed or something, but really to be an orc he needs a strong jaw and fierce brow.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    age of conan dude

Yes, every female in AoC, including demon pets and enemies...sometimes NPCs, have fully exposed jiggly breasts. No one plays it.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell if i had a good computer i'd be playing that man. Maybe i should make my cousin download it.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i think the nose and eyes are too human looking not even of the cool human variety, but the generic boring human variety. push the forms around like u have in the body.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    Yes, every female in AoC, including demon pets and enemies...sometimes NPCs, have fully exposed jiggly breasts. No one plays it.

I played it on release. didn't even finish my free month. funcom owes me $50
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, been playing with this guy today a lot, exaggerating things, moving things, cutting and pulling points. Let me know if i'm getting closer:

orchead4.png

I might just redo the cheek bones.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    much better.
    ya, redue the cheekbones and try another go at the temple geo and eyes. do you or they want the characters to blink or look around? what's the inside of his mouth going to look like? will it open, will he yell or talk? WOW's characters have teeth and geo pupils that move around and they've modeled lids that blink over them.

i really like how you show the model in shade view like this, you should use the vertex shading to your advantage, it can be frustrating to smooth everything out at times, but it pays off huge in the end, imo. don't forget to test lighting from the sides and under.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I have since tweaked and re cut the cheek bones. I'm not liking the eyes too much so i might start them from scratch with some good reference.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    in that last shot his pecs look way tiny, this guy needs to start workin out. those lil things could not even move those big ass arms..
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, i'll take a look into fixing that.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay i got myself a new computer and a new graphics tablet, so i've begun texturing this bad boy.

I'be getting the basic shading and lighting done first, then i'm going to go in add some extra texturing and detail, and refine the lighting, and maybe tweak the color levels, here is a progress shot thus far:
    OrcTexturing.png

More work:
    orctexture2.png

Can anyone point me to any tutorials to paint textures more realistic and subtle? I like how mine look but, i like it better if i could make it look like this:

http://www.bobotheseal.com/personal_work/Bliz_BoBo_Orc03.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Just by comparing this to Bobo's orc, some suggestions:

-Use broader, less plastic like highlights, skin really isn't all that shiny
    -Add color variation (like the red on Bobo's orc's nose for example)
    -Your over all skin tone is to saturated, it reminds me more of grass than orc flesh
    -Don't just use a darkened version of the skin tone color for shading, the hue of the color changes due to blood in the skin and the color of the light, notice Bobo didn't use dark green but a yellowish brown for shading
    -Don't outline every anatomical feature, this isn't shading, think of the model as a whole taking into consideration the direction light is coming from. Some bounced ligh can also add interest.
    -Try to use colors that complement each other, and add interest and vibrancy to your model, the green, dark green and light green combo your using at the moment isn't very interesting, notice the variety of color on Bobo's texture

Hope that helps
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Generally, If you can't subtle-shade, you should, but I believe you can make any approach work 100% if you just keep at it.

Considering your previous work most of Jaco's points are valid. At this point I'd only suggest making the head lighter than the body. You're gonna have to work this one more for proper crits though.

http://www.horribledeath.com/tutorial.htm

http://www.horribledeath.com/images/wip/orc/
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the replies. Liking the tuts you posted shotgun, i'll definitely be taking these things into account and likely restarting my texture after getting some practice in.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    pectorals look weird like theyre being crushed by the shoulders
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    I think his penis is too small.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so far you've been on this character for over 2 months acording to your posts, what is the timeline for completion of this mmo? is this a paying gig or one of those "you will get paid when we start making money" deals?

as for comments on the model i'm not a fan of the style. never cared for the generic make the hands and feet large and it is stylized frame of thought. speaking of which, looking at the occlusion online site, the other characters there do not follow the large hand / foot "style" will they be adjusted or will the game be a missmash of looks.

as i posted before the pecs are tiny small as the guys forehead, if you want him to look powerfull beef up those pecs and upper torso.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, work is slow on this guy mostly for the fact that the old computer i was working on it with died and i had to get a new one shipped out. However, I'll take those things into account, maybe make the mesh a more subtle exaggeration. pay is half up front, half upon completion. there are a total of 12 characters that need to be done with a final pay of 250 dollars, including textures and several animations per character. Pay isnt too high since its a low budget project, and once i get my texturing method down, the rest should come fairly easily.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    $250 for 12 fully textured characters, rigging, skinning and animation?
    I think you're undercutting pretty much everyone in the world there. At professional rates you're usually looking at around $50 per hour, so you have 5 hours to finish all of this!

Obviously if it's just a side project and you don't mind working on this stuff then it's not a problem, but that pay is insanely low. Most freelancers would expect more than that for just one diffuse texture.

That said, it's coming along pretty well. I agree with the crits on the painting, it's looking quite "outlined" at the moment, I'd also try to work in more hue shifts between the shadows and the lighter parts.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yikes, MoP is right there. I suppose it's better than nothing if you're trying to get experience and exposure. Asian sweatshops pay better than that.

If you conservatively estimate that you can spend 5 working days (8 hours) per character, you are making about $1.92/hr. Even this figure is extremely unlikely, since you'd have to rig, skin, and animate a whole character in one day.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    "I suppose it's better than nothing if you're trying to get experience and exposure" yeah thats pretty much teh idea slum.
    I believe its one of those "we cant pay much but we can pay atleast" better than all the "we'll pay when we starting making money-alot of companies are showing interest!!" kinda thing like rhinomonkey said.
    personally, i understand where the OP is coming from with the money thing (better than nothing and/or whatever you can get) and it doesn have ANYTHING to do with the international rates tbh.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, thats another reason why my work is slow. Pay is low, so i'm also trying to find other paying jobs i can do too, to help increase my revenue lol.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orc.gif heres a brief paintover in the lowest resolution possible to show where i think the most obvious problems are,, the upper boddy shape
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea okay i see that, and i like the changes. I'll go in and tweak it, see what i can do, then post a progress shot
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my giff compresion raped it, but i also added some yellows browns and reds into it
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i see that. Thanks. Work began yesterday on redoing the texture using some of those tutorials as a base as well, so i'll be adding a lot more color variation.