Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: GED

Replies

• kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    He needs a little yellow box of thoughts :). It's turning out well Ged, grats.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks kary, I worked some more on the textures I think its just about done, now I just need to fix the seams and get him rigged and then work on a base.

dp_textures3.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    pilot_portrait2.jpg

quick sketch that turned into a scifi portrait.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    did this for the gameartisans pirate mini concept challenge
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    the 2nd one is better but his shoulders still blend in with the bg.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah looks sweet- you got a gnarly tangent going on with the beard an collar. shoulders are pretty small, and his silhouette needs cleaning up to pull it off of the BG.. The face is awesome, It would be nice to do it some justice and finesse this piece a bit further.

Also it would be REALLY bad ass if you had a really hard light coming down from the light source in the back. Backlighting is always awesome.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    right thanks guys, good crits I will work on that tangeant and the backlighting constructm, I have already got backlighting in there but I kept it subtle but now I see that has made him actually blend in with the background more rather than less. I will hopefully be able to put them into action before the deadline :) thanks alot
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • Spleytus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Ged nice Sketchbook, you been practicing a lot :D thats the way,
    love your studies,models and your paintings, that girl is very awsome.
    Indeed this sketch thing aint just nice to show your stuff and get some feedback but will also provide a lot of info for everyone that may needs it, thanks for showing it m8 bye.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks alot spleytus, yup always moving on with new ideas. heres a texture done for the gameartisans challenge, model by slaught. Was good fun, I only spent 5 hours on it and it probably shows but I liked the result anyway.

goatmonster_final.jpg
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    deadpool looks ace. really insperational thread so far too
  • Crumplecakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your Deadpool model is kick ass, well done!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the complements, deadpool is now in max with JIstyles shader, I will show it soon hopefully.
    finally found some time to do a little of my own 3D work.

dpbase_low1.jpg

working on a base for deadpool and trying to remember how to biped rig so I can get him posed :/
    base is probably around 1500 tris and has a 1024x1024 normal map and some AO in diffuse.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive been brushing up on rigging as it is not my strong point, just trying a simple biped with mocap to test some extreme movements, backflipping ballet dancinging deadpool lols

been working on this rig a few hours and still loads of trouble areas with it :(

viewport shots - no lighting, jistyles shader
    deadpool_rigging.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good to me man- your too hard on yourself :P. your painting weights right?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    konstruct wrote: »
    looking good to me man- your too hard on yourself :P. your painting weights right?

thanks :P I'm selecting vertices and assigning them to links, every time I fix one I find a few others which are doing something funky. I will try painting weights, maybe it could be faster or easier.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah defiantly look into painting them- doing it vert by vert is more for really low poly stuff. Also, try moving your bones all around as you paint, like move the arm into a really extreme position, and wrangle the verts into place via painting thier bone influences.

good character choice btw. deadpool is a badass
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Something about the poses seem a bit too inorganic, or just unnatural. I don't know if that's just me, but the ballet pose especially sticks out to me in this way.
    I dunno though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Something about the poses seem a bit too inorganic, or just unnatural. I don't know if that's just me, but the ballet pose especially sticks out to me in this way.
    I dunno though.

its mocap animation so the model isnt really made well enough to use it...for instance I think a well made female model with edgeloops in the right places would be amazing with the ballet mocap data. It was just to test the rigging not to pose him
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Heres him posed on the base in Xnormal.

Construction shot
    deadpool_construction2.jpg

some beauty shots just to see both sides of him
    deadpool_beauty.jpg

any tips for presenting these sort of shots?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    He feels a bit too shiny to me right now. I'd also like it if you rendered on a more neutral tone background instead of black. Also, the character is pretty small in that picture, so as far as presentation, the character needs to take up more of the frame.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some nice complimentary color lights- with a heavy backlight
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    hey Ged, very nice character you pulled off ! You might wanna try a more exagerated pose e.g:
    http://en.marveldatabase.com/Comics:Cable_&_Deadpool_Vol_1_12

btw.Great presentation! I dig the light setup in your "all maps" screen shots, looking real good!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey guys thanks for the tips, I will see if I can put them into action, I originally wanted it to look as if he had just dived out of the window but Im not sure wether his mesh will go mad if I push the rig too hard. As for the lighting, I will try and get xnormals fake back lighting in there.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work GED, I particularly like the diffuse shot, I think its your strong spec that's throwing off the final image.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Update, slight edit to color and spec, added emissive cause I forgot it earlier. Same models and textures, just different lighting in these 2 shots.

Better?

deadpool_beauty2.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnormal sounds snazzy n all, but if its restricting your beauty shot lighting setup then I`d say- F- it and just knock out a bad ass 3 point set up in your 3d app of choice. also, I`d get some bones in those fingers (ooh sounds dirty) and do a hand pose too as that is sticking out a bit as looking stiff.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    konstruct wrote: »
    Xnormal sounds snazzy n all, but if its restricting your beauty shot lighting setup then I`d say- F- it and just knock out a bad ass 3 point set up in your 3d app of choice. also, I`d get some bones in those fingers (ooh sounds dirty) and do a hand pose too as that is sticking out a bit as looking stiff.

The problem I find is that the normals and textures look deeper and just generally better in xnormal but the lighting in max is better. Well I will see what I can do to the fingers and try lighting it in max,=/
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    the left image is really nice! i'll see if i can come up with some crits..
    -don't render on a black background
    -maybe lower the camera a little, so you literally look up to him, and make him seem more heroic.
    -pose some of the fingers to be either more relaxed, or more fighting-ready like.
    -maybe try some more poses and then decide which is best?

keep it up! looking forward to more!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks guys. This is a bit of an improvement. I dont want to spend any more time on this character Ive been spending an hour or 2 a week on him for a few months now I really want to move on.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im done with this, I really must move on now. =P

DP_beauty_final.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    something from a few months back that I didnt show anyone

mini_city.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    been playing with mudbox2009, this is my first sculpt in it just to get used to the tools.

africandude.jpg

about 512000 polys
    diffuse,bump,spec 2048
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I liked jackwhats little studys so I decided to copy some frames from movies/tv shows so that I can learn more about colour and lighting and mood.

paintheroes1.jpg

also a bit of a speed test this one took 1hr 30 mins
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    paintheroes2.jpg

took a bit longer for this one but it was more fun, about 2 hr 30 min
  • dummeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dummeh polycounter lvl 18
    Those heroes frames are really nice
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks dummeh heres a quick search and rescue robot character I just painted up.

searchandrescue2.jpg

I imagine that this is a manned robot sitting inside the visor part.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I havent had much time to work on this so its a bit of a thoughtless painting but its for gameartisans deathknight mini challenge :P just working on a good base of values before I put colour and texture in.

deathknight4.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think Im done with this, it was just a bit of fun, didnt really have time to take a serious stab at this

deathknight8.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    decided to go back and work on my old polycount fps weapon challenge entry

rifle20.jpg

got the lowpoly pretty much done, its a bit highpoly 5200tris but its just a portfolio piece so I dont want to restric myself too much. Now Ive gotta figure out a fast effective way of unwrapping all this. I could use max or maybe roadkill, what would you guys recommend for something like this?

Ive heard of chuggnuts plugin for max...what does it do?
    Ive used roadkill but found it a little wierd and it was annoying exporting all the pieces seperately so that they dont get in the way of eachother in roadkill viewport.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're not going to want to hear this, but I prefer the lighting and contrast in the next-to-last Deadpool screenshots :D
    The last one just really kills the normals, I think.
    Nice colour-studies, by the way! You inspired me to want to do some of my own. Time to dig out the Bladerunner dvd, I think.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    MightyPea wrote: »
    You're not going to want to hear this, but I prefer the lighting and contrast in the next-to-last Deadpool screenshots :D
    The last one just really kills the normals, I think.
    Nice colour-studies, by the way! You inspired me to want to do some of my own. Time to dig out the Bladerunner dvd, I think.

Thanks MightyPea I totally agree about the normals being blown out on the last deadpool render I did, I just wanted to use a 3 point light setup cause xnormal didnt have true 3 point lighting so I had to use max...but overall I still think it looks better in xnormal so I might use that to do a quick render of him there before I put it in my portfolio website.

:) Still got one more of those little colour/mood studies from heroes that I want to paint :P
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks to konstruct :P

heres the 3rd heroes quick paint took about an hour and a half on this one

paintheroes3.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice man, I like that robot-
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    started doing some 3D sketching in 3D coat, Im excited about this :)

heres one I did during lunchbreak at work last week.

kingcaznor.jpg

and heres a quick 2hr sculpt of a creature done on the weekend from just one voxel sphere, tools arent perfect yet but Im definitely impressed by 3D coat even in this alpha stage

brino.jpg

brino2.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty cool man, I`ve had coat downloaded for a while now, but have yet to try it out. Its cool to see you really push its voxel tech. I still dont fully understand how it does what it does, but you definatly seem to be flexin it,
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was done in 3dCoat? I gotta check it out again, really neat man.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks konstruct and ploon yeah Ive been trying the 3D coat 3.0 alpha, the voxel tech is way more flexible than I thought. To make that creature I really just brushed a sphere to make long blobs come out of it and then sculpted them into limbs etc. My voxel sculpts are still a bit blobby and not very detailed or refined but thats just due to the fact that I havent had alot of time to really push the detail and the brushes were a bit difficult to control in my opinion but that was partly due to my computer having some brush pressure issues but it is an alpha :) really looking forward to the final release.

I also tried the 3d coat retopology tools yesterday and honestly enjoyed using them too.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I did a quick sculpt last night before bed to test out using the snake brush for some hair, about 45 mins

ninjagirl.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    riot_police4.jpg

just an idea I had this morning, might make this guy in 3D

the things on his arms are wind blasters, like leaf blowers but these ones are used for crowd dispersion :P