Home General Discussion

You know what really grinds my gears???

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    People that dont get that you are working and not "playing in the computer" when they decided to share their life experience changing trip to the doctor to tell them they have a cold.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    anyone get sucked into meetings that could've covered your end of things in 3 sentences? Seems that only 1 in every 5 meetings I go to I have anything to contribute or gain since all our sprints and scrums only deal with engineering side of things.

It chaps my ass when I get called into a 1 or 2 hour meeting and sit there twiddling my thumbs when the manager is telling us we need to step up production for deadlines.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    aaaaarrghhh, aaaaargggh : people (okay, it's just one) that come over to talk to you whilst simultaneously chomping down on their fucking lunchtime sandwich. Like you couldn't expend a tiny bit of external and self respect and wait a couple of minutes to do either? That could be the most supremely arrogant, punchworthy thing i've ever encountered in my entire life
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    on the same token, people who come and badger you right as you're eating your sandwich. just fuck off for a moment!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    people that swagger through the world like some ultimate gold-plated all powerful deity just cos they've dropped a sprog.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    people that constantly ask questions just because they can't be bothered to think of the answer for themselves. And where the bloody hell do you think i got the answer to this problem then?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Agh, yes, that one is painfully constant.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    FUCKING loudmouth students who have the screaming voices of a group of hyper nine year old girls and therefore have no idea what fucking planet this is, and if they don't shut the fuck up very very soon i'm going outside, getting into my car, and am driving up and down the street systematically running them over at speed as soon as they pop their stupid hollyoaks haircuts into view. SHUT THE FUCK UP
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    rooster wrote: »
    on the same token, people who come and badger you right as you're eating your sandwich. just fuck off for a moment!

i have that SAME problem in TF2.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    i have that SAME problem in TF2.

Fatty. :P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    spending all day helping others then realising my schedeul is getting screwed, tommorrow headphones on means no helpy helpy
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waiting for xnormal to render a Ao map when you should be in bed, and you gotta work tommorow. fuck fuck fuck, i want more cores more cores i tell thee with legs and arms and make art buttons.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Management saying that one of the main expectations are 'honesty and integrity' when clearly management is stunningly disorganized with people pushing for insane overtime and told to be proud of it. Even more stunningly full of shit when hearing management droning on about mission statement.

There's also the occasional circle jerk of emails at work regarding trivial matters.

Say what you want about it but it happens.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    pliang

Perhaps a bit much of a rant.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1&2. Assholes that freak out cuz of naked model pictures for modeling, and call me gay T.T"
    3. the time max takes to start, i could take a shower and get dressed by then...
    4. complaining little kids on CS:S, and faggot CS:S Admins that ban me cuz i OWN them
    5. In TF2, udering som1 wo knows it, then stops to reload their shotgun.....
    6. brazil/rio render times.....
    7. useless crits on projects that i just started.... i.e. "it would look better if you added a texture" LMAO
    8.to tired to keep typing.....maybe later *yaaaaawn*
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    suprore

not really
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    people who go to anime cons to score pussy
  • Master_v12
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    my colleagues really get on my nerves, not a single day goes by without one of them making a racist remark! it's terrible. i say to them that what they say is ridiculous and they suck, but they are just too stupid to understand. and now when i say something about it it's like: "you said so already yesterday...".

was this long enough to grind somebody's gears?
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    People spelling "colleague" wrong :)

...and people who correct other people's spelling on the internet
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    "I know you don't have much space to work with there... but could you make that 2x2 pixel area more round?"

People who have no fucking idea what they're saying... who incidentally are also the art director.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Smirnoffka: Group punishments, people thinking that you are constantly angry? Yeah, that seems like symptoms of the military.
    I am a happy or "neutral" person most of the time. But for some reason, everyone percieves me as an angry guy. That grinds my gears.

People when given orders sighing, and saying "but why do i have to do that? i did it yesterday! someone else's turn now!"
    It's not a punishment, its a job. I chose you to do it because you are good at it.

People who bitch and whine about being in the army. Here in Sweden it is voluntary. Why the hell are you whining if you signed up by your own free will?

When everyone thinks that you are a god when wielding a pencil. Okay, i do draw a lot. But that doesn't mean i am a master cartographer!

How come cosmic horror is so hard to transfer into a video game? Or a mod? I hate being stuck!
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    People that text you back 5 hours later, making you dig through your sent messages cause you can't freakin remember what the hell you were talking to them about.

People that hum along with the music they've got in their headphones.

Everything thats been posted in this thread about the office bathrooms, office kitchens and office farting.

People that can't hold their alcohol.

Karaoke.

People in the office that think that you can/will help them with ANYTHING computer related when you're wandering around because you're in the art/software dept. "Hey if I print this email will it have the To and From info on the top?" I dunno, hit the f'ckin print button and find out! We're not hurting for paper.

Religious nuts in the office that take any sign of international trouble as the sign of the upcoming apocalypse and start talking about how Revelations said that or this, and then end their little spiel with "Well, at least I know where I'M going." Which basically means, "Well, at least I know i'm going to the big cloud in the sky while the rest of you godless heathens all burn in hell."

My boss using buzz words that have no meaning. "They want hyper-realism!"
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    spending the morning trawling through loads of utterly shit portfolios while hungover, and then finding one that seems quite good but also turns out to feature a character design and texture lifted directly from one of your own paintings
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Portfolio websites made entirely in Flash with tiny pictures, no way of enlarging them or saving them. Use some common sense!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People that want to see funny out takes and have no clue how much added work they actually are...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People lining at the groceries paying for a bag of oranges with a credit card, please get some cash together.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    pliang wrote: »
    People lining at the groceries paying for a bag of oranges with a credit card, please get some cash together.

Dude, whatever. People paying at the grocery store with a check. It's always old ladies, using a damn check instead of a check card. Filling the damn thing out, asking where they are, damn it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Dude, whatever. People paying at the grocery store with a check. It's always old ladies, using a damn check instead of a check card. Filling the damn thing out, asking where they are, damn it.

and zero one hundre... "pardon me do you have a pen that works"
    Christ lady, here, use my finger *stab*

Then there's the 8min they spend folding up the check book, getting the next check ready, putting the receipt in a very specific pocket, getting their keys out, putting the purse on their shoulder and finally stepping aside so you can pay for your purchases that have already been rung up in the meantime.

My mom is one of these people, she complains that people try to muscle her off the check stand all the time. "you can have it when I'm damn good and ready". "Mom, they just want you to step into the modern times and keep moving". "I'm just going to take my time the more they push."

It also grinds my gears when I'm at the self check, and some asshole stands right behind me, or even puts their basket on the stand before I'm done ringing everything up. I don't like you hovering over my shoulder as I put my pin in. and I don't like you drawing attention that the stuff in the stand hasn't been rung up. The last time it happened I put the guys basket on the floor and pointed at the checker watch dog/overseer who smiled.

While I'm at it, it also grinds my gears when people try to hold places in more then one check stand, trying to stay in which ever one looks to be faster. It's really annoying when they try to fake like they just aren't paying attention... Bring your spouse/sig other and stake out two check stands like everyone else... but don't float =P
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    photoshop just NOT responding to hot keys, resulting in me hammering the key like a mad man and each button jab adding incremental anger.

Photoshop just not picking up on print screen'd clipboards, needing a relaunch and then working perfectly. Great, cheers.

Games journalists increasingly mentioning more and more tech in their reviews, like it impacts on the games playability or we need to know...
    and on a follow up, games journalists spreading misinformation about the tech used leading to 13 year old fanboys on message boards claiming they know stuff about engines when theyre just wrong.

Lord help the next generation.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    pliang wrote: »

i don't understand why this would annoy you?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    It also grinds my gears when I'm at the self check, and some asshole stands right behind me, or even puts their basket on the stand before I'm done ringing everything up. I don't like you hovering over my shoulder as I put my pin in. and I don't like you drawing attention that the stuff in the stand hasn't been rung up. The last time it happened I put the guys basket on the floor and pointed at the checker watch dog/overseer who smiled.

When you're behind someone who doesn't have a damn clue how to use the self-checkout...

Machine: Please scan your first item, then place it in the bagging area.
    Guy: Scans and places it back into a cart. Then tries to scan his next item.
    Machine: I'm sorry, please place the previous item in the bagging area.
    Guy: Fruitlessly tries to scan the item several more times, each resulting in the self-checkout machine repeating the same phrase. Finally places the original item in the bagging area, scans the second item, then places the first back in the cart...
    Machine: Item removed from bagging area, please place the item in the bagging area.

God help them if they have produce or some other item that doesn't have a barcode on it, its like asking them to perform brain surgery...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, add self check machines that don't have an opt out of instructions. I know what the hell you're going to say, and I'm 10 steps ahead of you so just button it and print the receipt already.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    I think can be condensed down to "women at checkoutrs". Old ones especially.

They'll wait patiently while all their stuff goes through and gets bagged and away before acting utterly taken aback at being asked to pay for what they've just bought and spend half an hour rooting in their handbag for a purse. Exasperated by the elderly ones counting out the exact change in 1,2 and 5 pence pieces before realising they haven't got enough and then pulling out some notes to pay with.

Every male in the queue has their wallet out and an amount that's rougly correct in their hand before their stuff gets put through the scanner.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polycounters.... esp dedicated polycounters... bunch of bastards all of them
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Women.

When their not "grinding my gear", they really grind my gears.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    - people who have negative thoughts towards bacon salt
    - people who don't think Peggle is an awesome game
    - the weirdo in line glaring at me while i try to buy some fucking oranges
    - cat food
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    People to spend their time trying to pay with loose change or not having their money ready when they get to the till so the spend 5 minutes digging around their bag to find their wallet.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Luxury wrote: »
    Women.

When their not "grinding my gear", they really grind my gears.

this
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    dealing with freelance when your still green and newb to it...
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Waiting at the bus stop for twenty minutes only to have the bus drive by you without stopping because the stupid bastard driver didnt see you, then having to chase it down the street to catch it at the next stop. I mean, it's a great work out. But goddammit.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Talon wrote: »
    I think can be condensed down to "women at checkouts". Old ones especially.

They'll wait patiently while all their stuff goes through and gets bagged and away before acting utterly taken aback at being asked to pay for what they've just bought and spend half an hour rooting in their handbag for a purse. Exasperated by the elderly ones counting out the exact change in 1,2 and 5 pence pieces before realizing they haven't got enough and then pulling out some notes to pay with.

Every male in the queue has their wallet out and an amount that's roughly correct in their hand before their stuff gets put through the scanner.

well glad to see that this isn't just in America. pisses me off.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    You know what really grinds my gears?

Chauvanisitc men. :D
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't been following but...

Office washrooms. Pubes on the urinal. Clogged toilets.

Exercising purely for the sake of exercise. I miss running for the hell of it and sports as a kid. Now it's gym memberships and fuckin Bikrams yoga. Ug.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    headaches when you need to get work done, but you had a few beers and can't take aspirin cause it will fuck my liver in half.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My little turtle wont stop biting my big turtle, Im about to bacon salt that little fucker.