Home General Discussion

Mudbox 2009

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hmm mixed reviews from you guys so far, seems like it needs a small patch to fix the stuttering or compatability maybe? I will have to try it out at work, my home pc needs an upgrade...do I get a discount for having bought mudbox 1.07?
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Selection and Sculpting delay of 3 seconds. Black faces on non-smooth shaded mode. So much hope.. so much fail.

I'm using the latest driver for everything.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    it is a shame this program is so nearly there and has loads of really nice features yet, there are so many problems with it
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    No problems here for me! The new stamps and stencils eliminate so much hassle for me since I'm not so hot at making brushes.

I love the new tools too, since I'm still learning sculpting its nice to see explanations, and know exactly what I'm getting with each tool. The contrast tool is pretty sweet!

Even with my computer upgade I couldn't really get the old mudbox to go much higher than a couple million polys without chugging. Now I'm up to 4-8 with no slowdowns. Yay quick doodles.
    doodle.jpg
    something simple like this would have taken me so long before, not for experts I'm sure, but I was amazed how quickly I doodled that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8mill seems to be butter smooth, 32 mill seems to run about as well as mudbox1 with 2-4 mill on this system(workable but not smooth). Quad core 6600, 8 gigs of ram, xp 64 and 8800 GT. Seems pretty awesome so far.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I have a quad core, 8800gt, vista 64, and 8 gigs ram. Haven't had any slow downs messing around with the bull untill I got to 41 million polys. Still, just rotating around the canvas I have like 100 fps, but slows really bad when actually sculpting.

Nevertheless, this is clearly overkill at 40 million, and it runs perfect at 4-5 million for me.

I did notice some weird delays with the human mesh though like others have mentioned.

In any event I am really pleased with the app so far. Can't wait to start an actual project with it.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol
    the question is. who needs 40mllion for anymesh?

tried it and i dunno. i still like zbrush the best. maybe its because i dont seem to have tablet pressure in mudbox :(
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Tablet pressure may be a bug or something. I also haven't got tablet pressure with the x64 version. The 32 bits worked better, but not properly, pencils with strength 100 didn't do anything if i don't press hard on the tablet :S, very weird all.

I did the same test with 32bit version, 33m at level 7 with the full body object, all smooth on viewports and editing, but impossible to paint with the tablet problem i commented. Furthermore, when i close the program, my system was like dead... i needed to restart, incredible.

I feel more confortable working with Zbrush, no "alt" for rotating, and faster workflow with my custom interface. I'm quite disappointed, i was expecting to see something great and not this :(.

I'm thinking they put the trial very soon :)
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Download, Install, Start, Crash......Cry
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    mudbox09_doodle.jpg

Having a bit of fun with the demo. From a sphere 1 hour.
    Didn't use the previous versions of Mudbox much, but I can see this one as being very useful.

I miss the clay tubes brush from Zbrush, but I can replicate it in MB Im fairly certain.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Colemerson wrote: »
    Download, Install, Start, Crash......Cry

waah me too! I start it.. see the splash image with the ugly fox/wolf thingie then it asks me if i want to send a failreport to microsoft :(. FAILreport.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    qualified hardware still isn't up yet...
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=11734002

getting the pause with wacom as well although it seems better than navigating with a mouse... ( wheel scroll zooming with mouse is a bit better as well )

It looks like nvidia display is werking fer everyone having good experience??
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    mudbox09_doodle.jpg

Having a bit of fun with the demo. From a sphere 1 hour.
    Didn't use the previous versions of Mudbox much, but I can see this one as being very useful.

I miss the clay tubes brush from Zbrush, but I can replicate it in MB Im fairly certain.

Same here. What I did was export the claytubes alpha from Zbrush and used it as a stamp image with the Wax Tool. In the tool setting I changed spaacing to 0, buildup to 30 and removed the faloff by moving the points all the way up.. and voila claytubes in mudbox! :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    downloaded, installing... be back later with opinions.

-caseyjones
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    bitmap wrote: »
    lol
    the question is. who needs 40mllion for anymesh?
    I do. A lot of 3D sculptors do. You sometimes start out with a basemesh, which turns into something that the basemesh wasn't designed for, and you need to retopologise to get the most out of it. Being able to crank it up to 40M polygons can save you from having to do that. Sure, if I work on something purely personal and have all the time in the world I can do this, but in a production environment when things need to get done this can be a real time-/lifesaver.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Why is there no poly-redistribute brush? Something that I can brush over an area where one part is super low poly and the other is super hi poly and it just redistributes polys so it has equal distribution while retaining volume...

or is it there?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't had a full experimentation, but I was able to to push beyond 20mil polies (didn't really try to keep going to see where it died). Unfortunately sculpting at that res was virtually unworkable, a lot of delay and a lot of lag. Rotating and panning in the viewport is perfect and runs seamlessly, but as soon as I zoom... We are back to chug city.
    I think my homes PC just falls on minimum system specs, I'll check it out at work tomorrow and see how I go.

-caseyjones
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow Ive just tried it at work during lunch for a bit under an hour and Im loving it! =D heres my first try

mudbox_test1.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roo: where you say you had better experiences with higher bit-depths for textures, that's where it fucks up for me. No matter how small, a 32-bit texture won't work for me. If I make it small (256) it just won't paint, but I can move the brush around, whereas with a 2048 32-bit texture, it'll hang for a few minutes every time I try to paint... but still fail to make any mark.
    I'm confused as to how the specmaps work, though. I'd imagine painting black with 100 strength would absolutely kill all spec, but it doesn't, and when I paint 100% white, it actually leaves a white mark that's only visible when the specmap's on (so I'm not accidently painting on the diffuse, I mean)
    Could it be the shader? I'll have to look into that some more.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    radeon 9250 will earn you a blank white screen instead of your viewport.

that said it's probably what you deserve for using a 9250.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Japhir wrote: »
    waah me too! I start it.. see the splash image with the ugly fox/wolf thingie then it asks me if i want to send a failreport to microsoft :(. FAILreport.

Exactly what happens for me. I ran mudbox 1 fine but my trial ran out :( Now i can't find the original one.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik wrote: »
    Same here. What I did was export the claytubes alpha from Zbrush and used it as a stamp image with the Wax Tool. In the tool setting I changed spaacing to 0, buildup to 30 and removed the faloff by moving the points all the way up.. and voila claytubes in mudbox! :)

I was trying to duplicate the claytubes in mudbox too. After experimenting a bunch i pretty much got the exact brush you came up with. There still is a major difference in the way zbrush and mudbox handle their buildup brushes. Also, using custom brushes is pretty laggy.

claybrushcomp.jpg

Mudbox builds up from underneath, while zbrush builds on top. Mudbox is way more user friendly, but if I have to mess with a bunch of settings to get a brush to work correctly I might as well stay with zbrush.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Vert splitting a feature of wireframe mode? Strange!
    Painting appears to be very poor, need to play more perhaps.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Claytubes is only necessary because Zbrush's other tools are so messed up, though. Just get used to what mudbox has, you dont have to fight it like you do ZB.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thats nonesense, claytubes is a really powerful and great brush to sketch with, instead fighting it you could also work _with_ it, i started with hating zbrush and got used to its weirdmode programstructure but in the end its great and powerful its unusual and far from beeing perfect but it gives me what i need to work, while the new mudbox only gives me eyecandy, a mspaint like colormanagement but also great performance on the right system. Both tools have their strengths but right now i'll stick with zbrush in production as is just has way more possibilities.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on cgtalk there is mention that catalyst 8.1 drivers are working for ATI users.

no good fer 4800 series tho? as 8.7 is the minimum driver supported?

maybe werth a looksee fer users with older ATI cards
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    while the new mudbox only gives me eyecandy, a mspaint like colormanagement

speaking of which...

anyone know a werk around fer no eyedropper color picker
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Dusty: To get 100% similarity you would need a combination of the Wax and Fill brushes in one brush so sadly that`s not gonna happen afaik. One thing you can do is go over the valleys again with the brush and then smooth it out.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clay: there is one though, aren't you seeing it? There's no ctrl-colour picker though, which is a pain.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    Why is there no poly-redistribute brush? Something that I can brush over an area where one part is super low poly and the other is super hi poly and it just redistributes polys so it has equal distribution while retaining volume...

or is it there?

I am not sure but I think it does this automatically now. For example, the exact same mesh in Mudbox 1 *seems* to be far lower rez at higher polycounts
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik wrote: »
    Dusty: To get 100% similarity you would need a combination of the Wax and Fill brushes in one brush so sadly that`s not gonna happen afaik. One thing you can do is go over the valleys again with the brush and then smooth it out.

Yeah thats what we determined at work, its just not possible to perfectly reproduce it without combining brushes in mudbox.

Suprore- The claytubes brush is one of my favorite and useful brushes, I concept with it alot and use it to throw down quick shapes.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Tablet pressure may be a bug or something. I also haven't got tablet pressure with the x64 version. The 32 bits worked better, but not properly, pencils with strength 100 didn't do anything if i don't press hard on the tablet :S, very weird all.

I did the same test with 32bit version, 33m at level 7 with the full body object, all smooth on viewports and editing, but impossible to paint with the tablet problem i commented. Furthermore, when i close the program, my system was like dead... i needed to restart, incredible.

I feel more confortable working with Zbrush, no "alt" for rotating, and faster workflow with my custom interface. I'm quite disappointed, i was expecting to see something great and not this :(.

I'm thinking they put the trial very soon :)

i installed the new wacom drivers then i added mudbox to the wacom panel and changed the buttons so i can have pan and zoom in the pen and voila. i have tablet pressure now. :)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I think ideally I'd use ZBrush for the brunt of the sculpting, and then I'd go in at a higher subdivision level in MB2009 and add all the microscopic details if needed. It's not too crazy an idea, I think..
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice plan, thought of that too, but mudbox is only fast as hell if the geometry comes out of mudbox, importing a X-Mio objects results in same slow handling as before, and as you can't reconstruct or import level 1 from zbrush and then level X as a layer, you won't get any advantage
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Then maybe if the box looks good I can buy it for that, and have it stand on my desk and look all pretty like.

[EDIT] Now I'm just being mean. I'm sure the team worked hard on this product, so it deserves a closer evaluation. I'll keep using it now and then. I've been meaning to get one of those GTX 280 cards, so once I have that I might get the kind of eye candy I was expecting (and don't need).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hmm don't you guys think the painting tools are sortof pointless if there is no cavity masking?

Painting the creases darker or more saturated ... darkening specular maps in the cracks ... thats pretty much the bread and butter of nextgen texturing huh!
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    It s been mentioned in the beta board numerous times. Altho the answer was it is the foundation for future texturing enhancements, tweaks and features.
    I am too very disappointed that the painting tools are the way they are, but pretty confident some updated will be released during the year (altho no official word on this).
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    color picker = hold down i
    it sets the model to flat-shaded temporarily and switches to color-picker
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    is there a way to turn down the power on the freaking smooth brush? even when I make it literally .001 strength it's way too strong. anyone know what I mean, or how to fix this? I just want it really subtle.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx make sure your model is scaled properly. If it's too big or too small it can cause all sorts of issues. An easy way to check the scale is to import one of the base meshes included with the program, then just scale yours up to match.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    pea: damn that sucks.. I seem to be in the minority with the good experience :/ (give it time, I've not pushed it very hard yet)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    adamlewis wrote: »
    bounchfx make sure your model is scaled properly. If it's too big or too small it can cause all sorts of issues. An easy way to check the scale is to import one of the base meshes included with the program, then just scale yours up to match.

this is exactly what I'm doing. I'm using their base bust for practice but every smooth I do is insanely strong
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: I know! Although they do say it's possible in the manual, it's sort of ballsy to claim so, as here's how they continue:

You can create paint masks to mask regions of your model when you paint using the Projection tool as follows:

* Paint a black and white image on a plane and export the paint layer and then load the image as a stencil. Use the stencil as a projection mask. (WHATTHEFUCKGUYS!)
    * Create a paint mask to mask sculpted cavities using the Ambient Occlusion filter.

Then, read the instructions for doing the latter here:

http://download.autodesk.com/esd/mudbox/help2009/files/WS73099cc142f48755-4607e7cc11b1cfff571-2725.htm

Then, smack forehead.

edit: Roo: I'm just using 8-bit, but I've only used it to quickly give something a colour, rather than actually paint decently. I'm too much of a sculpt-noob to be wasting time on painting :D
    It seems to work alright in 8-bit, though.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    also curious as to what brushes everyone uses the most? I've been going with sculpt, grab, pinch, and flatten, (not using smooth as much since its' being harsh for me), and I just don't get the results I'm looking for, like, It's really hard for me to shape the eye area or the bottom lip. anything with round protrusions like that just comes out really weird. :(

just takes practice, I guess?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    this is exactly what I'm doing. I'm using their base bust for practice but every smooth I do is insanely strong

just subdivide, last time i used it, smooth was way too hard on low levels and way to soft on high polygonal levels ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flatten, inflate (I forgot the mudbox term for it), knife, err... I'm really liking a lot of the other ones as well, but I haven't gotten around to using them much yet, or customising them to my liking. The scrape-brush is great, as is the inverse of that (fill?), I suspect I'll get to use those more as I go along.

edit: agreed, smooth is a bit strong on lower levels, and hardly useful on higher ones.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup MightyMice that's exactly what I was about to try!
    Seems like the logical workaround... when one's vidcard does support the ambocc filter! Mice does not hehe.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that amb occlusion painting sounds horrible...
    simpler to just bake it afterwards in 3d prog no? I mean its a step in a process, you dont really need it while painting do you? (maybe I'm just being simple here)
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    i tend to cut across the grain here and consider mudbox to be a really disappointing piece of kit

there's near literally been no advancement made to the workflow in this release. and mudbox falls flat shit on its face in this regard ( in my opinion ). a traditional 3D app paradigm far too strictly adhered to. this ' artisan on crack '. just doesn't cut it for me
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    bounchfx wrote: »
    also curious as to what brushes everyone uses the most? I've been going with sculpt, grab, pinch, and flatten, (not using smooth as much since its' being harsh for me), and I just don't get the results I'm looking for, like, It's really hard for me to shape the eye area or the bottom lip. anything with round protrusions like that just comes out really weird. :(

just takes practice, I guess?

I use scrape brush a LOT. This is my 2nd head model sculpt ever. Doodling with claytube brush like (like the tip above in this thread) then refined with scrape / Grab only.

small_head.jpg

Try it, it is really addictive as A brush, and I rely on this a whole lot more than flatten nowaday. Also, smooth brush with a flat curve, or should I say no curve falloff, can be really used as a flatten brush. Worth a try I guess!
    but yeah practice is key. My 1st head sculpt was really bad, and this one tourned out OK...at least for me who never do characters heh =D