Home General Discussion

Mudbox 2009

robioto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
robioto polycounter lvl 18
http://area.autodesk.com/mudbox_preview#performance_preview

Saw this link on Tweak. Interview with Dave Cardwell and a small video demo of new features. GPU powered interactive HDRI and AmbOc on a 25mil mesh interactive in viewport. Crazy stuff.

Photobucket link

http://vid258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/robioto/performance.flv

Interview with Dave Cardwell
The Area: What kind of performance enhancements can we expect to see in the upcoming version of Mudbox?

Performance was one of the big things that people wanted to see improved in Mudbox, from Mudbox 1 and we've completely re-architected the rendering engine and the brush engine to increase the performance several times in the application. What you're going to see in Mudbox 2 is a completely new rendering and brush engine that's going to give you the ability to visualize the entire model with all the high resolution details on screen at once, and not just small local subdivision regions. And so this will allow you to, as an artist, make better decisions about the characters or the environments you're actually working on. But it's also going to give you the ability to present that asset to your art director, client or the director of the project that you're working on.

The performance is geared towards the rendering speed, camera interactivity and also brush speed. Also the amount of polygons you can subdivide too. And how fast you can subdivide...actually changing level speed. That was really slow in Mudbox 1, we've actually improved that a lot. File size is another thing we have been able to reduce. The amount of memory that the files take up on disk has been reduced. So you're seeing all those performance enhancements and you're going to get that in Mudbox 2.

The Area: Does that mean that the architecture has been completely rewritten?

The architecture for the rendering and the brush engine has been completely rewritten. We've actually implemented a stamp-smoothing algorithm that was in development for ten years - the same algorithm that was used in Studio Paint. So you're going to see much smoother brushes. If you remember in Mudbox 1, if you do really tight circles and curves, you end up with a really faceted line - you won't see any of that anymore. And also have explicit control over stamp spacing. That's going to help you in applying textures and patterns in a very controlled way. And for sculpting, it's just going to mean a lot smoother strokes, and very little lumpiness. Performance improvements all around. In some cases, we've had to enhance a significant portion of the code to be able to accomplish this. A lot of code has been enhanced from Mudbox 1.

The Area: Are you taking advantage of hardware and multi-threading?

The entire application is GPU accelerated and of course, the graphics card has multiple threads, the main CPU processors in some instances, we are using multi-threading for certain things, but we're currently not using threading across the entire application. What that means is that the application still could get a hell of a lot faster in the future. One of the nice things about being at Autodesk is that you get a heads-up on the technology that's going to come down the pipeline from various hardware manufacturers, be it graphics cards or processors. And so based on this, we're making sure Mudbox is in a good position to take advantage of all that stuff as it comes out. And soon as it's out there, we're going to be able to take advantage of those technologies with Mudbox because of the code changes that we're making now.

The Area: What about hardware needs - do you need a hi-spec'd machine?

Do you need a supercomputer? No. There's going to be a recommended hardware list, just like all the Autodesk products, but you can run it on significantly less powerful hardware. But there will be a qualifications chart. It will basically qualify in a very similar hardware configuration as Maya. Just as an example, we're running Mudbox 2009 - that's what we're calling it, Mudbox 2009. I'm running it here on my laptop, a Dell 1520 Inspiron with an 8600 mobile graphics card and I can work with very very high polygon counts at extremely interactive speeds. Even if you had a super computer to run Mudbox 1, it's much faster than Mudbox 1 ever was. So it's a huge improvement, like several times, not just like 10, 20, 30 percent, but we're talking like a few hundreds of percent faster than Mudbox 1.

The Area: Is this what you used to record the video?

No. To record the video, the video that's shown on AREA now, I used my home workstation. I'm running a 64-bit, Windows 64. Actually I've got two graphics cards I use. I use an 8800 GTX which runs extremely well, but for the video I used QuadroFX 4600...it's got a lot of ram on it. It's not necessarily significantly faster than the 8800 GTX cause that runs equally as well for Mudbox 2009. But yeah I'm running Windows 64, with 8GB ram, QuadroFX 4600. It's a computer you'll want to use if you're doing production work. You don't want to limit yourself based on hardware and computers are pretty cheap nowadays anyway.

Replies

• Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess with Autodesk behind them, we can expect to see Mudbox really improve, and such we're seeing. :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Jonathan wrote: »
    I guess with Autodesk behind them, we can expect to see Mudbox really improve, and such we're seeing. :)

I really can't tell if you're being serious or not
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Is this the same Autodesk that has done so much to update 3ds Max and make it a relevant program in today's workplace?
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I'm being serious.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Am I the only one that's getting links and ads at the top, a bunch of links down the left side, and absolutely no content on that page?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle you're not the only one. I tried in IE as well.

Jonathan: sorry to say, but fact is Autodesk really has not innovated. Nearly every addition to 3dsmax can be linked to xsi, houdini, maya, etc having it a release or two before. Autodesk looks to be going more and more the route of EA sports. Slight updates every year.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    The link worked earlier. Maybe they moved it or are updating it for a proper news release or something.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Jonathan wrote: »

I see nothing. Which should now be expected from Autodesk updates.
    (seriously, the page is blank. Are they reinstalling it?)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    let's get back on topic before this becomes a 3dsmax trashing thread :) we've already had a couple of those before.

If mudbox is handling such levels of detail it'll be nice, but I hope they're adding more to it than more polies on the screen with hdr and ambient occlusion.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved content to first post.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Blank paqe for me too :(

Was there any information on when Mudbox 2009 would be released?
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There wasn't mention of it on that page and the video was just a performance demo with no audio (but amazing anyway). I'm uploading it to photobucket and will post here when finished, it's taking a while.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I was going to ask if you had the video cached.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Considering how overdue this damn upgrade is, I better get a free upgrade >:[
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photobucket added to top
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's up again.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    very cool, i wish i could try it ^^
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool..

Since it has ambient occlusion in the viewport, I wonder if there is an option to bake it out.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    robioto wrote: »
    Photobucket added to top

If you don't mind my asking how did you manage to capture the video?
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    How fast would Mudbox 1.0 be on the type of Machine he has used for the video ?
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I used a download manager that has an option for downloading flvs. There are some addons for Firefox that do the same thing.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18

He just saved the flv video. there's extensions for firefox that let you do this.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Well it sounds good.

tsk 2009 =/...so lame.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17

there might be a firefox extension that allows you to do it.

Always eager to hear about new tools! ty
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding Autodesk, what I meant was, perhaps more financing for R&D, as Mudbox is great but doesn't have that robust of a toolset.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    such uninspiring naming conventions........yeha at least call it MUDBOX uber XTREME 09
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I just hope they improve how the brushes work; right now it's way too easy to get patchy or blobby results from any sort of stroke.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle, they did say that the brush engine had been rewritten, and it's much easier to get smoother results, not blobby strokes.

Still though, I can't really see anything there that would make me want to ditch Zbrush. So far, I have never wanted a 25-million-quad mesh (although even that when they were showing it, had a triangle/poly count of 16xxxxxx in the viewport counter so I'm not sure what they were talking about), and there's nothing demonstrated in that video which I can't already do in ZBrush.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe sure but the much bigger screen real-estate alone is well worth it :P And no feedback slowdown due to canvas size!
    Anyways, can't wait.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Still though, I can't really see anything there that would make me want to ditch Zbrush. So far, I have never wanted a 25-million-quad mesh (although even that when they were showing it, had a triangle/poly count of 16xxxxxx in the viewport counter so I'm not sure what they were talking about), and there's nothing demonstrated in that video which I can't already do in ZBrush.

That could of come in handy for me a few months back, Scuplting a 21 million poly wall for work, Zbrush was crying alot... :p
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    lets see how mudbox works on normal machines. Not all ppl have a workstation with quadro fx 4600 and 8 gigs of ram at home hehe.

Mudbox is the simpliest app i have ever used, but zbrush is pretty good although is pain in the ass to learn.

A bigger canvas size in zbrush makes editing slower. One thing i hate of mudbox, is the filesize, crazy! like we had teras of HDs... 500mb 300mb... damn
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahaha, Per is right on the money , I feel the same fucking way.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, good points Per. I guess you guys will be buying Mudbox 2009!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look here, my wallet sprouted utters, I better take it over to the Autodesk Dairy asap.

I was hoping for more then just performance tweaks, hopefully they have some more announcements coming soon. I've never really pushed Mudbox to the point it would melt so performance was never really an issue. Sure Mudbox is easy to learn because there's 7 tools and only 3 anyone really uses.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging on Mudbox, I like, we use it at work, it works great for what it does. I was hoping for it to compete instead of tow the Autodesk line of standard version "un-grades".

I agree with per about the ZBrush learning curve and general unfriendliness, but it has a lot to offer and it would be great if Mudbox stepped up to that level and was able to retained its approach to user friendliness. But I'm not sure anyone can do that without convolution of the interface.

Bottom line, I'm getting tired of buying the same copy of software when the only difference is a 09 sticker over the 08 label. Thanks for spending all your time fixing something I never really had an issue with... Hopefully they have more news coming.

Features I'm still holding out hope for:
    (I'm sure there are some work around for some of this, but for a program that "just works" they have a few things that need to "just be fixed" so they can "just work".)
    - Retopo...
    - Selective sub-d that doesn't break the mesh into pieces.
    - Get rid of the weird layer rules that prevent you from sculpting on lower layers. Or organize layers in sub folders according to the level of sub-d they belong to.
    - Mirror axis that works on its own axis not on the objects axis (it can start there but should be movable) and it shouldn't use some crazy "select two polys and hope it works" voodoo.
    I have a lot more but I have stuff to do...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Great to have ya back, Per ;)
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    i use zb 'cause i have to. it works. it gets the job done. but what a fucking cunt getting there. like standing on your head to take a shit
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    tacit math wrote: »
    i use zb 'cause i have to. it works. it gets the job done. but what a fucking cunt getting there. like standing on your head to take a shit

Hahaha, awesome visual.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely agree with Per. I dont need that overdone interface I just need a brush to sculpt with.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per, Painting eh? I've only heard rumors, I'll cross my fingers for a big announcement at siggraph, I wasn't able to find any concrete proof that painting will be included in this version, and even less news about how it will actually work. I'd probably drop ZBrush if Mudbox came out with some quality paint tools. It would also restore a tiny bit of faith in Autodesk to deliver the goods. Granted its not the 3dsmax team working on Mudbox...
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    zbrush is so easy, what's wrong with you guys!?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea, zbrush is easy, once you know which 3/4 of the buttons should just be labeled 'crash' and 'flip out'. :p
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't needed to have patience for well over a year now. I don't call waiting that long having patience. I just call it silly =]

ZB has always had performance - fake or otherwise, it gets results and that's all that counts for me. MB2 getting a performance boost isn't enough for me to upgrade either. I've had that for so long I take it for granted. It's the other stuff I need more now. Like awesome masking and grouping/visibility features, mesh extraction, transpose and deformation tools, which when combined with masks simply fucking rock. That shit speeds up my process more than performance does. I rarely work with a single mesh that pushes more than 3 million polygons anyway.

3d is fake so I don't get it when people complain about zbrush being fake at 3d. I really don't give a shit about what kind of monkey math is happening under the hood, so long as I get my results.

Painting is the only reason I'm interested in mudbox 2 at this point. But I want to see it and try it for myself before I upgrade. Still waiting for modo to remove the suck from its painting tools after 2 years so I'm not going to drop money on another program that does it half assed (I put way more faith in the skymatter guys getting it right than lux for what it's worth).

I don't care who wins the best software award though. I'll happily switch apps like a whore with six virginias if it benefits my work.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Really, pretty much anyone who says Zbrush is just as easy to use as Mudbox once you learn it has never used both seriously.

Spend a few hours with Zbrush and you can get good results. You're still grappling with a camera that makes no sense, bizarre canvas/subtool systems, and brushes that, while you can get some results from once you get used to, really don't do things in a very effective way.

Compared to mudbox even the simplest elements of zbrush, like the standard brush and smooth, are awkward and joyless. I spend more time grappling around the smooth tool trying to get it to work how i want it to in ZB than i do sculpting, whereas in mudbox it's perfect right from the start.
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per128 wrote: »
    what do people in general really need them for on a regular basis? Instead of zbrush users continually saying how cool those tools are, what about giving some examples of how we can use them to seriously improve our efficiency?

with mesh extraction , transpose and other thingies you can do 3d concepting on the fly with little or no restrictions. You can explore ideas, you can let your imagination run wild, without worrying too much about technical stuff. I kinda prefer mudbox, but ZB ain't the scariest 3d boogyman in town
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Suprore: The camera seems okay when you turn on local and the Y (instead of the XYZ) on the right of the main UI.

Most people are using the clay, or claytubes, now instead of just the standard and it has a nice feel. I've not really had a problem with the smooth though so I might be easily pleased.

___

Per: Just on that distinct look point, is that referring to the red wax shader and the exaggerated forms it gives?

I tend to prefer the fast shader, or one of the simple clay ones. The material system is mildly interesting, but it feels superfluous. It's handy to get a change in read (like flipping something in PS) or making a high poly look more interesting, but I don't find it a big change in workflow.

Otherwise ZB is more natural for concepting work as iatriki said. If you're coming in with tight meshes and know exactly what you want to get out there wouldn't be many advantages to ZB.

The ZB UI just doesn't seem that distractingly unnatural to me now. MB is still more natural, but (contrary to Suprore) I don't find ZB is pulling me out of what I'm doing any more -- which it did before 3.1, and some of the plugins they've released.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Per tells it how it is. The worst part of Zbrush, aside from never feeling in real 3D space with your model is the perspective. It makes it really hard to make decisions on proportion because once you import into Maya it looks totally different.

Subtools for example.. Why do I have to append a 'polymesh3D1' before I can import another obj? All work arounds and hacks. Yes, the software *CAN* do allot but it's fundamentally flawed and it's gonna come back and bite when the shit hits the fan and it needs to move to true 3D.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per: Then mudbox is all you need. But just because you can't 'imagine' any other uses for what ZB offers doesn't mean others can't. I make use of all that other stuff almost on a daily basis. You can have the simplest most perfect base mesh in the world and it will never account for changes required from higher up long after a design has been 'finalized'. That's got nothing to do with MY planning, nor my ability to make a good mesh. I know all about cages and planning for shit. I've been building, rigging and animating stuff from scratch for too long to not have something sink in along the way. =]

Zbrush is freedom, plain and simple. I'm the first to admit the GUI isn't hot shit, but it ultimately has little influence over my decision to use it or not. And some of the actual UI elements, like masking and working with polygroups are pure fucking genius. Seems to me like those who pan it solely for it's UI issues are the ones that haven't used the program to its fullest extent. I got over that a long time ago. I like the fact that it isn't just a stripped down set of brushes that only cater to a game or film modeling grunt's needs because I need it to do more than just 1 or 2 things.

I can build an entire character in z without ever leaving except for the final, low poly mesh and I can do it a lot faster than I can with wasting time in a polygon modeler. There is freedom in that that makes 'old school' polygon modeling much less important. It doesn't eliminate it by any stretch, but it definitely cuts down on the bs and modeling with polygons still involves a lot of bs, no matter what software you use or how long you've been doing it.

The problem most people have with zbrush is that they are trying to fit it into such a tiny, constricted, standardized process that it's no wonder they get frustrated with it. I wouldn't want to use it either if that were the case, much like I don't like using a big bloated studio app for something as simple and non-pipeline critical as modeling. Why not build a bust or something simple like that in mudox? I would. I like simple tools too and I go out of my way to research anything that might make me faster, or just able to enjoy my work that much more while I'm doing it. I'm just glad I was given the option of using both ZB and MB at work because I've definitely had a need to be able to do more than just sculpt some details on a single mesh since I got here.

With zbrush I really don't give a shit what my art director tells me to change. I can do it, at any stage, which makes it invaluable for iterative work and I can do it on the fly while he's standing over my shoulder - especially at the start of a project when nothing is nailed down and it's more important to throw as much shit at the wall hoping something will stick. But even moreso, jeebus forbid, at a later stage in production when you really don't want to be doing that kind of thing. It shouldn't happen, but it does, and when it does I'm definitely glad I have zbrush to work with.

Anyway, like I said, would be nice if mud would expand the toolset to cover other areas that fall under sculpting, for those of us who need it. I don't care who comes up with an idea first. I only care about who implements it better in their software. If that involves a little copying and leapfrogging each other's tech, that's cool too.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Super wrote: »
    Subtools for example.. Why do I have to append a 'polymesh3D1' before I can import another obj? All work arounds and hacks. Yes, the software *CAN* do allot but it's fundamentally flawed and it's gonna come back and bite when the shit hits the fan and it needs to move to true 3D.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=057154 they released that a few months ago, makes multi obj imports as painless as any app.

I don't have much of a the problem with the camera, if my persp fov is set to 70 in both zb and max it's reasonably close.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I enjoyed zbrush from day 1.

To me mudbox was the bigger pain to use with this keyboard shortcut stuff.

I could never do without zrush, it absolutely rocks.

if I need to change the base mesh I can reproject the mesh easily on to the new base.
    subtools and layers are great also.

polypainting is great for blocking in colour

the only thing I like about mudbox is the display, looks more like a traditional 3d app display,.

I have messed around with mudbox a bit , but when it comes to the crunch there is too much

stuff it can't do and will always be playing catchy up with zbrush.

it s like some people like lightwave but I always found that a bit odd to work with.

i find mudbox in that category, but probably would learn it if I had to.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigh, this is descending into 360 vs PS3, Tastes Great/Less Filling territory...
    What is it about digital artists that gets them so attached and worked up about their weapons of choice ?