Home General Discussion

House Rejects Bail out

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    This is when i wish i had money extra money...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever you do, don't withdraw thousands of dollars like some silly people have been doing.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, you want it in rupees
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    i think its a good time to buy some stocks,
    things will get back to normal some year,
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm really wishing i would have kept more of those Chinese yuan bills, those 1000 yuan bills would be worth lots!

back in 98 it was $12 = yuan 100 or 1= 8.333, now its 1 = 6.842
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    hmmm really wishing i would have kept more of those Chinese yuan bills, those 1000 yuan bills would be worth lots!

back in 98 it was $12 = yuan 100 or 1= 8.333, now its 1 = 6.842

yep my wife just went back to shanghai china to visit her family,
    she took her check book with her that works internationally,
    better than exchanging usd for China Yuan Renminbi,
    also good old visa cards works just good, :)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Run on The Banks anyone?

-777 = Not a lucky number
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    pliang wrote: »
    Run on The Banks anyone?

This is actually part of the problem and would only make it worse. It also doesn't make any sense because if everyone does it they may have their money, but it'll be worthless if the economy completely tanks...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We surrender! I don't know who to but we surrender! Can we have our money back now?
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    This is some scary shit right here. o_o im waiting for people to start jumping out of office buildings...

Funny tho, wen you're broke, the stock market falling appart just
    seems more like a sale than the end of the world :x
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    SELL SELL SELL...

(time to invest in some stocks i think...)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    My sister sent me this. I was going to show it yesterday, but today seems like the perfect time. :D

http://www.fedupusa.org/

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/

Enjoy. I for one don't see how a 700 billion bailout will do jack shit to the trillions of dollars of debt this corrupt banking system created. Banks are only allowed to lend a certain amount of money legally and the banks that are collapsing lent out more money than they legally could. So this shit happened. The fact that people can't pay their loans is sort of irrelevant because lenders shouldn't have been lending out more money than they could afford or had.

Well I took all my cash and bought gold, bitches. LOL wait... atm is saying my money is worth -1000000 usd. I had two hundred dollars there yesterday. I want to buy gold ... noooo I had 200 dollars now mexican dollars are worth three times as much the damn US dollar... oh why.... make it stop. Nooooo!!!!

Shit happens that's how I look at it. Worse case scenerio we get bats and go pillaging. :D

This sucks.

Maybe Palin's experience, you know the fact that Canada and Russia are near her state, her experience will help bail us out. maybe she knows how to make the US dollar go up in value with snow.

If the economy tanks does that mean the end of the top 1% rich pricks running the world to shit in this country?

I thought the bail out for the rich was coming, this was indeed unexpected. Plot thickens. I wonder what comes next. Another bail out plan. :D
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well just found out only stock that made any money today was,
    Campbell Soup Company lol,
    guess there getting ready for the soup lines,
    that was a bad joke, :)
    http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:CPB
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    see there is hope, I wonder how bounty did.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Time to get a little greedy....

And yeah running on the banks was never a solution....it only causes banks to collapse since everyone's making withdrawals
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I've noticed that when Bush tells Congress that something must be done. It's probably best they ignore him, and put some more thought into what really needs to be done to improve a situation. Just take it one day at a time. This whole bailout situation, sounds like jumping out of a burning plane without a parachute.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sage wrote: »

Enjoy. I for one don't see how a 700 billion bailout will do jack shit to the trillions of dollars of debt this corrupt banking system created. Banks are only allowed to lend a certain amount of money legally and the banks that are collapsing lent out more money than they legally could. So this shit happened. The fact that people can't pay their loans is sort of irrelevant because lenders shouldn't have been lending out more money than they could afford or had.

:D

I haven't heard anything about banks lending more money then they are legally allowed to. My understanding of the situation is that so many people are failing to pay back their debt that the banks are becoming unable to operate. In that I mean, that it seems that a bank is legally obligated to have a certain amount of cash on hand in order to open for bussiness, and banks are almost to the point where they can no longer do so. If banks start collapsing then the domino effect will put us into another great depression.

The 700 trillion obviously would put our nation in more debt to the chinese, but I can't see how debt is worse than inviting another true depression. Not to mention, that if the market actually does turn around, our gov will make a profit off of this.

One of the more interesting arguments against the bailout I've heard is that once the government becomes this involved in our economy, that they'll never leave. Since I'm usually a bit anti-regulation, that kinda scares me.

I do very much agree with you though sage that too many loans are given out too easily and that this is a key cause of the situation we're in.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The bailout as it was, wasn't a great idea. While that's true, something needs to be done quickly. The world economy is at stake here, not just our own. The EU markets fell nearly 270pts, and the Nikkei fell 545pts. We are the largest importer and exporter in the world. Without us, all economies will collapse. Everyone (including ourselves) CAN recover, though. We've done it before. The government is panicking and trying to push a band-aid over the gushing wound. It won't work like that.

People need to understand that everything will be okay. When people panic like this they make it worse. It's the PEOPLE that are now hurting the economy, not the mortgage issues. Two lenders collapse from bad deals, and everyone screams FIRE! Then they proceed to yank all of their money from the market. When that happens, a void opens up. Those stocks are just sitting there, worthless. Values plunge, more panic sets in, more people sell. Over and over until the entire house of cards comes down.

Keep your damn money in the market. Pulling it out is the dumbest thing you can possibly do. You are insured up to 100,000 by the FDIC on personal lines, and most retirement accounts are insured up to 250,000. Considering how young most of us are, I doubt anyone has that much in their accounts.

Re-balance your portfolios - choose stocks that are going to do well in the coming slow times. Spice companies, soup labels and low cost stores. With family budgets tightening up, nobody is going to splurge for organics, fast food, eating out or party gatherings. They're going to buy bulk meat and starches, chicken and rice. Spice companies do well because people need to jazz up that boring food. Walmart and Target are predicting good holiday sales, since they are low priced stores. Their stock should fair well over the next few months.

Vice stocks will also do well. Alcohol, tabaco, gaming and gambling stocks will all fair well. During hard times, they always have.

Be smart, don't panic.

*edit*
    -sigh-
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahwz_k5JvuB8&refer=worldwide
    This appears to be in addition to, the 700billion bailout. So that's a nice 1.3trillion nugget. FFS.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, time to makes some lemonade out of these lemons... Hopefully we`ll go into a new dark age (plauges n all), followed by a Renaissance, which means a bad ass surge of art moments.

*crosses fingers*
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    konstruct wrote: »
    Meh, time to makes some lemonade out of these lemons... Hopefully we`ll go into a new dark age (plauges n all), followed by a Renaissance, which means a bad ass surge of art moments.

*crosses fingers*

people didn't take baths back then didn't they? They also didn't have standard underwear. Dirty sweaty balls don't sound fun to me... I'll pass on the bad ass art.

I say invest the money u pull out in guns. Can never go wrong with them. :D
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    aesir wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything about banks lending more money then they are legally allowed to. My understanding of the situation is that so many people are failing to pay back their debt that the banks are becoming unable to operate.

The majority of the this shit-storm comes from Sub-Prime loans, it's almost totally responsible for the credit crunch. A greedy practice that made a few people wildly rich, whilst raping all the banks from within. It's a complex subject to understand, so I'll let wikipedia explain for me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_lending

They should never have been allowed to create such a system as its doomed to fail while only helping the high risk banking elite.

So far from being the publics fault for borrowing, it's more the case of the banking institutions for allowing something so greedy and ridiculous.

Let them burn. start again. Bush be damned.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Let them burn. start again. Bush be damned.

Amen
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    in order to let them burn, we have to light ourselves on fire first, right?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burn baby burn, disco inferno!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    in order to let them burn, we have to light ourselves on fire first, right?

you can't teach a lesson to a drunk by giving him more alcohol.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dow comes back big,
    Third-highest point gain ever for blue-chip
    measure comes on bets that a bailout plan can get passed,
    what a turn around,
    http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/30/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm?cnn=yes
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    now that's how you make politicians talking about the economy interesting to watch!

nice find dublin
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    It really doesn't matter what happens at this point. I don't really buy the sub-prime explanation. That is just another symptom. People were eager to borrow when the prime rate was low, and the prime rate was low because the Fed was trying to spend us out of a recession . We used all our money on stupid purchases and now it's gone. There is no undo button.

If what happened to Japan in the 90's is a good indication of where we are headed (and it is), expect a decade of economic stagnation.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like her, she is a smart articulate person... I'll take 100 more of her for congress please! I have to wonder what is she doing in politics? I thought that was just meant for dumb ass brainless puppets. Nice to see that there are a few real people in politics.

Her is to hopping that the dow end s up higher than it was last week by the end of this week. That would be... interesting.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »

If what happened to Japan in the 90's is a good indication of where we are headed (and it is), expect a decade of economic stagnation.

a lot of those financial guys are still living in the park near my house.

too ashamed to go home you see...

however, Japan was rich due to it's earning ability not it's spending ability. Before the bubble burst there was practically zero unemployment, not a good contrast to whats happening now.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    lesson learned?
  • greenj2
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they just passed the revised version...
    Goodbye, money. Nice knowing ya.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    help USA Chuck Norris!
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    just like to be the (*edit) second to say the bailOut has passed congress...and I believe bush had already agreed on it. get ready for it, Im running to the ATM right after I post this. :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still has to pass in the house Doesn't it?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Oui

Awesome find Marcus as well, that was really refreshing to hear.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    just like to be the (*edit) second to say the bailOut has passed congress...and I believe bush had already agreed on it. get ready for it, Im running to the ATM right after I post this. :)

Stop that! People like you are the ones killing the banks by taking all your money out
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, yea take your worthless paper out of the worthless repository of worthless wealth. Maybe it will keep you warm in the coming apocalypse...

I think now is the time to get a loan and start a chicken farm. I hear in agrarian society they trade like liquid gold, right up there with coffee, smokes and vodka.
  • seanv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    We used all our money on stupid purchases and now it's gone. There is no undo button.

Four more reasons why the bailout stinks:
    http://www.growthink.com/content/no-bailout-4-reasons
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the amendments to the bill are just insane.
    Seriously. The majority of the money goes directly overseas, to pay debt.

Some of the money goes to race car track owners. W T F. RACE TRACK OWNERS. FUCKING NASCAR!? Backwater, boondock f'n bush. Although it sounds like they're tightening the tax bracket around them, they're still getting a $100million dollar piece to shore things up? I can't believe that.
    Sec. 317. Seven-year cost recovery period for motorsports racing track facility

Track owners want to be able write off the cost of their facilities on their taxes over seven years - a depreciation timetable many of them have used for decades. But the IRS has wanted to stretch it to at least 15 years and has raised questions whether the increasingly popular tracks really belong in the same tax category as amusement parks.

Auto track owners are simply trying to get out of paying more taxes - which they'd have to do if they deducted less every year. These owners have gotten plenty of tax breaks over the years from states and localities eager to get speedways. The provision would be extend 2 years till the end of 2009 and would cost 100 million. The provision encompasses all facilities including grandstands, parking lots and concession stands.
    Wool research fund? <- What in the love of god is THAT ($148 million)
    Sec. 325. Extension and modification of duty suspension on wool products; wool research fund; wool duty refunds
    Remember the Exxon Valdez? Yeah, there's money in the bailout for the plaintiffs of that case from NINETEEN YEARS AGO ($50 million)
    Sec. 504. Income averaging for amounts received in connection with the Exxon Valdez litigation
    This is a joke, right? Each gallon of rum gets a $13.50 tax on it. There's a permanent law that gives them a REFUND of $10.50 (normally). This amendment gives them a $13.25 rebate, making their tax per gallon just $0.25. Cost to you and me? $200 million.
    Sec. 308. Increase in limit on cover over of rum excise tax to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
    Gets better. A $3.3billion dollar amendment that applies to only 5 states (Texas, Nevada, Florida, Washington and Wyoming). This allows people to deduct all paid sales taxes from their federal income taxes. Unreal.
    Sec. 201. Deduction for state and local sales taxes
    These are just a few of the highlights. This legislation is loaded with all kinds of nonsense like this. Seriously, this bill was the biggest robbery of the American people in history.

What's best? None of us citizens get any of it. Each American citizen (including children) now has an extra $3000 of debt on their heads.

Excuse me while I take a government brand to me ass...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice find Vassago. It's always funny how politicians fight over what bills where voted for and against amongst each other. This of course being a strong talking point in the debates.

"He voted against funding the troops!". No, he voted against the other filler that would be thrown in and harmful if passed.

4 years ago, Kerry was constantly attacked for being a "flip-flopper", for voting against bills related to issues he supports. The reason, he tried to often explain, was due to the harmful filler included in the bills themselves. It's not a vote against, it's a vote to revise further to protect the American people.

All in the House and Senate are involved in this, and yet it's still a heated discussion point each election year. It's derails from the important topics.

There are many harmful inclusions to this bill that can hurt the Nation more than help. Yet, our "elected" leader, feels it necessary to go live, and speak to the American people, to rush it through Congress. Listening to him push the importance, I felt uncomfortable. The people, and the ones concerned with our overall well being in the long run, know well enough not to support this bill. Only a couple more months left to deal with this stupid decisions.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldman Sachs
    Obama, Barack (D-IL) Senate $691,930
    McCain, John (R-AZ) Senate $208,395

Citigroup inc
    Obama, Barack (D-IL) Senate $420,912
    McCain, John (R-AZ) Senate $274,401

Jp Morgam
    Obama, Barack (D-IL) Senate $417,969
    McCain, John (R-AZ) Senate $175,675

Morgan Stanly
    Senate Obama, Barack $318,070
    Senate McCain, John $228,672

Both candidates bought and paid for by the companys that put us in this mess in the first place. These Motherfuckers are luaghing there asses off . They just succeeeded in ripping off 700 billion dollars from the American People...probly a Trillion dollars. And anyone who thinks the house not passing the bill was in the interest of the American People, take a look at all the bullshit tacked on to the bill...The 13 or so representitives they needed to pass the bill knew thay had the Senate by the balls and they said give us what we want, or we vote nay. Thus money for Nascar, Rum, and god knows what other bullshit.

So how long do we let them steal from us..till we can't afford health insurance, till we cant afford gas, till we cant afford bread
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I thought about mentioning this in the "does voting matter thread", l but it seems a better fit here. I think the best way to show an oppressive government you are unhappy with the services they are rendering is to move someplace else. Unlike a lot of other countries that have real capital (ie, factories), most of US capital is in the form of people. So if it gets bad enough the really skilled people may just leave. Then things will get much worse for those people still here.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Its interesting to watch peoples reactions to things like this. Most the people that are pulling money out are the same people that use the word "they" every time someone is at fault. In the end, things dont just happen, people make them happen. So instead of saying "they" lets get names, and lets head hunt. As far as im concerned, if someone is in a position of power, and purposly fukes over citizens for personal gain...thats treason.