Home General Discussion

House Rejects Bail out

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    "They"= Morgan Stanly,Goldman Sachs,Citigroup inc,Jp Morgam, any financial institution that stands to gain from the bailout....Write your congressman, ask that the executive officers of these coporation be brought up on treason...but first go to http://www.opensecrets.org/ and see if they have already been paid for....and even if he/she hasnt, Goldman Sachs owns 90% of the senate- Not to mention secretary of Treasury Paulson

It's almost impossilble to get elected into any critical office without the help of these tyrants...and even if one lone voice happens to slip in, the mob of the bought and paid for will keep them in check
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    Gets better. A $3.3billion dollar amendment that applies to only 5 states (Texas, Nevada, Florida, Washington and Wyoming). This allows people to deduct all paid sales taxes from their federal income taxes. Unreal.

Very weird...

I'm a business owner in TX and we don't even have a state income tax. I genuinely don't mind paying taxes as long as our government does something decent with them.

My business is a general partnership, so our federal tax rate is 15%. Our state quarterly sales tax rate is 8.25%. This basically cuts out federal income tax rate down to 6.75%. Add on top of that the other stuff I write off consistently, and we will hardly pay anything. That's retarded D:
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    sonic wrote: »
    Very weird...

I'm a business owner in TX and we don't even have a state income tax. I genuinely don't mind paying taxes as long as our government does something decent with them.

My business is a general partnership, so our federal tax rate is 15%. Our state quarterly sales tax rate is 8.25%. This basically cuts out federal income tax rate down to 6.75%. Add on top of that the other stuff I write off consistently, and we will hardly pay anything. That's retarded D:

There actually isnt a law that requires you to pay federal income tax. Its inforced illegally, and money is used to pay off private investors of the us. Watched a whole documentary on it a while back. Interesting stuff.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Sonic - you misunderstood that. It has nothing to do with state tax. This allows you to deduct sales tax from your federal taxes.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago - I know it has nothing to do with state tax. What I meant was that our sales tax is 8.25%, and our federal income tax is 15%. Since we can deduct our sales tax from the income tax, it basically makes our federal income tax only 6.75%.

I mentioned the state income tax just because we already pay very little due to not having a state income tax and they reduced it even more. For small to medium businesses this may be a good thing, but for big businesses it is giving them a HUGE break.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    stimpack wrote: »
    There actually isnt a law that requires you to pay federal income tax. Its inforced illegally, and money is used to pay off private investors of the us. Watched a whole documentary on it a while back. Interesting stuff.

tell that to Wesley Snipes
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article3671886.ece
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In light of Zeitgeist 2, I thought it was interesting that the rationale for the bailout in regards to the consumer is that we can get credit more easily to continue purchasing... to continue to put ourselves in debt...

So another record plunge for the Dow today! Thanks, government, for listening to the will of the people and passing this bailout quickly!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    On the bright side, its not our debt, its this gov's so if we kill this gov and put in place a new one we would be debt free.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    stimpack wrote: »

If you're referring to Zeitgeist, it's completely wrong. US Residents DO have to pay income tax, as stated in your constitution.

It is Title 26 U.S.C. based on the 16th ammendment. It's long, boring and complicated, but it is all there.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sup_01_26.html

Here's a webpage dedicated to all the untrue anti-tax arguments:
    http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html

Cool documentary, but LARGE parts of it are completely untrue.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Ok guys, I hate to bump a dead thread, but I figured I'd chime in on the tax exemption thing that Vassago mentioned.

I met with my CPA yesterday to go over some stuff, and I asked him about the rule. He told me that TX and the 4 other states in the bill have actually been able to do this for 3 or 4 years. The part in the housing bill is just a renewal in order to avoid going through the lengthy process of making a new bill just to renew one that they found successful.

He also explained why we can do that. As I'm sure most of you know, Texas and the 4 other states mentioned do not state income tax. We do have above average sales tax, though. In all other states, you have always been allowed to deduct your state income tax from your federal income tax if you own a business. In TX, since we don't have a state income tax but instead a higher sales tax, they allow us to deduct our sales tax from the federal income tax.

So yeah :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Sonic, I still do not agree with that bill, ever. We get to write off our higher sales tax, while the rest of the US is stuck with a $3.3billion bill? It's cheeseball.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Well, actually, every other state is able to exempt just as much from their federal income tax. They are just doing it in the form of deducting state income tax rather than state sales tax. It comes out to be almost the exact same (sometimes even more).

Either way, I still don't support it :p I don't mind paying taxes just as long as the government does good shit with it!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic wrote: »
    Either way, I still don't support it :p I don't mind paying taxes just as long as the government does good shit with it!

You should not pay taxes, then, I hear there's actually no way to enforce the income tax.
  • Rick Stirling
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    sonic, it seems the republicans don't believe thats true.