Home General Discussion

You know what really grinds my gears???

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "ok I'd like to know who splashed piss all over the mens bathroom?"
    "I couldn't help it I was attacked by the pubeleweed while I was going, I had no choice but to run. It gave chase so I fired back..."

... and now we know...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    - People who think their modeling app is superior to all others.

FFS people, each app has it's strength's and weaknesses. Imo, I don't think any app beats Max's modeling tools. They're fantastic out of the box, simple as that. Maya has amazing animation and texture editor (hypershade) options. Softimage also has great animation tools, python and spline tools. I'm tire of hearing "in Maya we could do this..." or "Softimage is better because..." shut the hell up and model already. :D

- People who always have to get the last word in, no matter what
    If your last remark doesn't contribute anything other than an ego boost, shut the fuck up.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    control freaks - fucking hate em

passive aggression- I once had a art director who stirred his tea in a passive aggressive manner.

He would punctuate his authority with louder clinks of his teaspoon.

commuting - need I say more- train passengers with bleeding music from their ipod whatever want shooting

and kids who play loud shit on their phones on the bus.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People who think their modeling app is superior to all others.
    I don't think any app beats Max's modeling tools.

:D

Taken out of context, sure, but don't deny me my pleasures.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate it that even though the company I work for makes a LOT of money, they don't get a license for a decent engine. I'm stuck on a prehistoric engine with crap shaders with even crappier settings. I mean alpha's don't even sort remotely correct for crying out loud. And on top of that, dealing with this pile shit could be made a hell of a lot easier if the powers that be decided to actually invest some time in refining our tools. I must lose around 3-4 days in every month of productivity just by wrestling with shitty tools and exporters.

Publishers. We spent ages working on a game, blood sweat and tears.... then publisher asked us to put in a special effort JUST before a beta submission to add some polish, earlier than expected, because they wanted to hold a marketing event of some kind. Fair enough, so we crunch like hell on both polishing for the event and bug-fixing for the submission. The event happens, where we find out to our dismay that instead of showing your awesome version with all the nice graphical polish, stable build etc - they show PRE-ALPHA version because they were 'more comfortable' showing something they had been using for ages. And I mean, this thing was bloody terrible looking and crashed at just about everything. Good one. Clueless muppets.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with the Smokers onegrinding my gears.
    One company I worked over the smoking area, and just for the hell of it I timed how long they stood outside bullshitting and wasting time. For the week I was paying attention they took approx 6 hrs out of the week, that was 3 of them who formed like girls going to the john. 6 damn hours, lets say we give them 5 hrs per week, thats a total of 20 hrs a month! So if we add it up for a year, it's 240 hrs, which is 6 weeks smoking and wasting time ( 40 hr work weeks ) Then bitch that we have to do crunches when in reality they are a major cause of it.
    Another thing that grinds my gears, is people that check my math and tell me if I am wrong...I draw for a career, not do fucking math!

Spark
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    right now OSX pisses me off to no end. only a matter of time until this mac gets a free flight out of the window!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pea - ya bastard ;)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Those damn artifacts you get while painting textures in zbrush....anyone know how to avoid that bullshit???
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i missed the old school polycount - this new look isn't it - i liked that you had to be registered for a month before you could get an avatar. i would gladly go back two visual overhauls ago.

new functionality is awesome, but qft!
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -I hate how spec maps and bump maps look together. It's like friggin fisher price injection-mold plastic. At least don't put it on everything! Graaaah, matte finish is nice too!

-How normal maps means you have to model everything twice, and that silhouette design is becoming more bland! People are afraid to make a straight edge!

-Haze-sistance: Halo Gears

-Where are my giant robots? COmmmon ZOE 3!

-I don't have money for a new computer to run these awesome games people keep talking about!

-Come back Homeworld! DAMN YOU! YOU BLEW IT UP!
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    you mean the smear you get when painting textures in ZB? Maybe avoid the perpendicular faces and turn off fade.
    Rens wrote: »
    "People who like to piss on others dreams and goals."

i fucking hate this, everytime i meet people and they ask what i do,
    i tell them i want to be an (game) artist, that i do alot of things like 2d, 3d, sculpting ect

they just look at me like i have no future and just move on, no respect what so ever.

Haha I hear that. I just finished at a community college, but there's a big university in town. So it's always hilarious to see some people's smiles turn disingenuous as their eyes suddenly search for someone worth their time when I say I went to a community college - studying 3d art, no less.

So now I'll go by frat bro T.J. Pounders, majoring in business at the university :D
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    i hate saying something in private to friends and it spreads through the studio causing an uprising against you. Because it was repeated and blown out of proportion.....etc.

i hate that you can only trust a handful of people in the game industry.

I hate when people steal your ideas.

I hate that you cant talk about projects because higher ups are scared of leaks, but the "secret" information is released just a week later. With little to know reactions//////
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark wrote: »
    I have to agree with the Smokers onegrinding my gears.
    One company I worked over the smoking area, and just for the hell of it I timed how long they stood outside bullshitting and wasting time. For the week I was paying attention they took approx 6 hrs out of the week, that was 3 of them who formed like girls going to the john. 6 damn hours, lets say we give them 5 hrs per week, thats a total of 20 hrs a month! So if we add it up for a year, it's 240 hrs, which is 6 weeks smoking and wasting time ( 40 hr work weeks ) Then bitch that we have to do crunches when in reality they are a major cause of it.
    Another thing that grinds my gears, is people that check my math and tell me if I am wrong...I draw for a career, not do fucking math!

Spark

I had a boss once that was part of the smoker group. He would walk through and round up all the smokers for a 3-5min break about ever hour. putting them at the bottom of the call que and pushed the rest of us up.

2 techs started smoking again just to get extra breaks and schmooze his ass off when a position opened up.

The guy was a huge ass but for some reason never really cracked down on me, and I neither smoked or worked particularity hard. Well I did work really hard modeling stuff in my spare time which we had a bunch of, and he did like the few custom maps/characters I made for UT, 2003-4.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    not being about to get the stomp box i want :(
    not one for a guitar, looks like a peice of wood with a jack coming from it. You hit you foot on it to get a rymthm when you play an instrument, in my case the didj.

also not having any inspiration to do any 3d work even thought I got weeks until I start college again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Strangers or people I've just recently met in group settings who ask me if I'm "okay" at seemingly random times for no discernable reason other than that I'm not actively speaking at that moment. I don't tend to have an insupressable stream of small talk and running commentary spilling out of my mouth at all times. Evidently to some people, that's a sign of being somehow not "okay".

And the way they say it makes it sound like they honestly think I'm literally mentally retarded and might have just shat my pants or something. Like, "Hey, you doin' alright buddy?", "Y'okay man? Ya sure?". Like, YES, I'm flipping fantastic! I'm doing phenomenally! If I've somehow not bore an unconditional constant smile for 3 seconds, or gone without having something to say for two minutes, it's simply because I'm so illimitably awestruck at how sublimely OKAY I am. How are YOU holding up there, sport?

/rant
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hahaha amazing and yes - agreed!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I get that sometimes fly_soup. I had just finished a stressful day at work and I was tired. The

guy tells me to cheers up on the bus.

He was drunk and high so I am thinking its easy for you to say chill out or whatever, because

you haven't had the shitty day I have had and you are blind pissed, now f off.

I like a few beers but i hate random drunks in the street, like in Dundee when I went to the

cash point and was almost mugged by a drunk local, who kind of threw himslef at me,

swearing and cursing.

I was tempted to smack him one, but just calmly walked off instead.

Shortly after I was short changed in the fish and chip shop by 5 quid:0
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    kids on kotaku or ign boards claiming they know shit about how to make games and how they'd have made it better, at the ripe age of 14.

Games journalists thinking its now their god given right to spread misinformation about game tech when it bears no relevance to the end user.

Those same aforementioned kids claiming designers have never seen colors other than grey and brown. Next kid who says that gets an e-stabbing.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    People in office environments who constantly bleed their music through their headphones, day in and day out, making the rest of us listen to it. I'm okay with it from time to time, but when it's a constant habit, I draw the line there.

People who have a problem with other people but complain "anonymously" on forums about it instead of doing something about it. So I'm going to address this and the above mentioned issue on Monday :P

(Other than that, some fun reading in this thread.)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    what I hate more East , is that when you mention it , they look mortally wounded as if you just

told them there was no santa or say stuff like , 'you can really hear that'?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    People who think I'm deaf because they can hear the music coming through my headphones. My particular headphones tend to project a lot of sound, so it's not actually turned up THAT loud.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    coworkers ripping ass then commenting on it. BLUUPT Ohh, that's a warm one, gonna stick for sure............UGH
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    fly_soup wrote: »
    Strangers or people I've just recently met in group settings who ask me if I'm "okay" at seemingly random times for no discernable reason other than that I'm not actively speaking at that moment.

Yeah, or people always saying 'Gee you look happy Tom,' or something of that description. I'm not usually angry/upset/miserable ect, its just the fucking way I look. My neutral face is not an ecstatic one. Sure, I may LOOK angry, but I'm fucking not. I even got failed for an exercise out bush once because, and I quote 'I looked as if I didnt want to be there'. WHAT THE FUCK WOULD YOU KNOW?! AM I TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE NOW NOT ONLY AN INSTRUCTOR BUT A MIND READER?! fucking hell, it pisses me off to no end.

When I'm angry, you will know. Because I talk in CAPS.

And that is what grinds my gears.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Let's add chewing bubble gum with your mouth wide open to my list. Andy, if you're reading these forums, I'm looking at you! :poly121:
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    When your 3d app has a button capable of crashing your computer in a position where it's easy to accidentally press.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    thomasp wrote: »
    right now OSX pisses me off to no end. only a matter of time until this mac gets a free flight out of the window!

embrace the hate! Took me a fair few months to start to notice the difference.

People getting in my space on the commute to work grinds my gears especially.

People who in the office would rather shout over the partitions instead of going over and having a normal level conversation also annoy me. Thats why I make use of headphones.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    so.. let me see if I am reading this right, basically you all hate each other?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... and bunch of antisocial sociopaths, never saw that coming... =P
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People. They're the worst.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    ThatDon wrote: »
    coworkers ripping ass then commenting on it. BLUUPT Ohh, that's a warm one, gonna stick for sure............UGH

ooooh, I'm that guy.... sooorrryyyyyyy :P Cant help it, I was raised to find dick and fart jokes to be endlessly funny without merit.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Smirnoffka wrote: »
    Yeah, or people always saying 'Gee you look happy Tom,' or something of that description. I'm not usually angry/upset/miserable ect, its just the fucking way I look. My neutral face is not an ecstatic one. Sure, I may LOOK angry, but I'm fucking not. I even got failed for an exercise out bush once because, and I quote 'I looked as if I didnt want to be there'. WHAT THE FUCK WOULD YOU KNOW?! AM I TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE NOW NOT ONLY AN INSTRUCTOR BUT A MIND READER?! fucking hell, it pisses me off to no end.

When I'm angry, you will know. Because I talk in CAPS.

And that is what grinds my gears.

hahahahha, you know Smirnoffka I got the same shit when I was at one of my reviews where I used to work. My bimbo manager told me at my review I looked like I'm always angry and that I seemed like I didn't want to be there. She then proceeded to say how I only meet expectations even though there was maybe one other coworker that worked as hard as I did and everyone else just talked shit and did the bare minimum. What a wonderful place to work that was. It seems if you are quiet and serious these days you are angry and hate the world. I felt like telling her, no I only hate lazy useless pricks that only talk shit all day and think they worked hard, like you. :D What no smile?

You know what else grinds my gears, when you quote a price for freelance work which is dirt cheap barely twenty bucks an hour and the potential client looks at you like you just stabbed them in the heart. My response to their reaction usually goes something like this... If I wanted to make minimum wage I would work at Walmart or Mac Donalds. :D Soo annoying... LOL
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Hidden rasism

Hidden bullying at work ("yada yada...wahaha..no no ..im just kidding")

Rasism

Bullying
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka - I get the EXACT same treatment. My face apparently looks evil and pissed off when I'm just relaxed and calm (or I guess even pissed off, when I'm working). I just concentrate a lot. I have a lot on my mind! :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Modelers who leave their creativity at the door and need a concept artist or art director to decide every last detail for them. "What's the shoelace on his shoe supposed to look like?"

i agree and disagree on this, ever heard:

"no thats not what i thought about" ?

well thank you why didn't you just communicate it (the artdirector) or draw it (the concept artist) before it's done?
    There is nothing i hate more then having a day of work for a "next/current gen" Asset, bad planning/communication/concept and then having to redo the whole crap because the client doesn't like whats interpreted into the rough concept.
    Sometimes it's just easier to ask before

Also stuff like "we need this and that asset" only the description, for instance "give the horse some gaiters" well ok done and then "no thats not what gaiters for a horse look like" in this case they actually do the person just didn't know there are more then just one model for horse gaiters did something like this http://www.reiten.de/Reitartikel/Bilder/Gamanschen.jpg
    and the clien thought of something like that
    http://picture.yatego.com/images/45002202431960.3/Eskadr._Gamasche_Flexisoft_9_Farben.JPG
    again, thank you why didn't you tell me before how you want it? i just searched for the (to me) best looking refs on the web and did an interpretation of them not just a copy of it
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Fat fuckers on a 7 hour flight who need to take up 6 inches of my seat and leave me pressed up against their hot flesh ripply shoulderbeef, refusing to let me sleep because they need to constantly shovel crisps into their fetid maw.

CUNTS.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    man 6 pages of gears being grinded. You guys need a group hug already :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    My wife had a 15 hour flight like that and the guy smelled really bad/was 'really' fat

he even got a bit fresh with her , cheeky barsteward.

My wife pretended to be asleep for the whole 15 hours.

She even asked the stewardess if she could move but it wasn't possible.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm so easygoing that people get angry at me because I don't get angry
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Smirnoffka - I get the EXACT same treatment. My face apparently looks evil and pissed off when I'm just relaxed and calm (or I guess even pissed off, when I'm working). I just concentrate a lot. I have a lot on my mind! :)
    My wife brought it up one day. Turns out I was scowling and my glasses were casting a devious shadow on my brows. I updated my prescription (got rid of squinting/furrowed brow) and switched to contacts and suddenly everyone was a bit more friendly and less fearful. Even a few people commented that I seemed happier. When I was still my grumpy cantankerous self.

It's funny on days I wear glasses I notice people are a bit more cautious around me like they can't gauge my mood so they play it safe.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm so easygoing that people get angry at me because I don't get angry

When me and my wife are bickering I respond to her like 99 percent of the time with either sure, ok or im sorry...and she gets so angry when I do not fight back. It takes WAY to much energy to squabble, or be anything but happy lol
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Quokimbo that reminds me of my ex, it seems for her fighting = intimacy on some weird level. I asked her once, why she got so into having sex with me after we fought, it was more of me listening to her rave, talking calmly to her or upset, then the whole deal would usually end in bed... The problem was I'm not into bickering and she would get really pissed if I referred to how fits as bickering. So the fact that sooooo many women think that when a man is quiet is a sign of bad times, that really FUCKING GRINDS MY GEARS!!! Such BS I always thought that if you partner is bitching and screaming at you for stupid shit that was the sign of bad times, but no, no I have it backwards. The aholes that do that are the good guys. What a load of shit!!!

Alex
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    People who go to a place like McDonalds or any 'Mc'job similar, (IE: a place where no training required to get a job)... and DEMAND perfect service.

Give the guy/gal a break, that person is in transition, nobody sees themselves as having a career in a place or position like that...

Obviously there are exceptions (personal attacks or something) but in general people who "want to speak to the manager" or complain about service on a 5$ meal, really piss me off.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »

Exactly. Concentration and intelligence is the key. People who walk around fat dumb and happy with a big moronic grin on their face and call me an ever so hilarious ironic name (eg. Princess or smily) grind my gears. I just quietly remind them that if they understood the how to do difficult things they would also not be smiling.

Mind you, perhaps I do look a little angry...

angry.jpg

..but it doesn't mean that every man and his dog has to remind me.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    looks like you need more fiber in your diet
  • levin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levin polycounter lvl 16
    people who put my calculator in jello

office_dwight_800x600.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    looks like you need more fiber in your diet

Now, at least that comment is constructive.

(Runs and buys wonder white with extra fibre)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    The clucking hens..... I'm sure you can figure this one out. XD
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    quokimbo wrote: »
    it takes way to much energy to squabble, or be anything but happy lol

qft
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow drivers in the left lane...
    li'l wayne...
    Tomatoes
    When im playing Halo, and my sticky turns into a bouncy...
    When flash kills firefox...
    people who text you back "What?"...MOTHAFUCKA IF YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE TEXT THE FIRST TIME READ IT AGAIN!!!....
    That is all for now...