Home General Discussion

Democratic or Republican

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Not old enough to vote, not smart enough to care.

Politics are for politicians, anyways
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the people who want to be in charge are the least fit to do it. there's some quote to that effect..

the rest of us need to be involved or there'll be trouble
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn this thread is moving fast (as I sort of expected).

My real problem with offshore drilling is that it will become a fix that solves nothing. If it somehow manages to lower the cost of gas, people will go back to driving gas guzzlers and the demand for new energy vehicles will dry up. Then we'll build up demand again, and the offshore drilling won't be able to sustain things. Then we'll be right back to where we are now.

Funny, the offshore drilling didn't exist before Bush came to office, and the gas prices jacked up. There are other things that need to be done to correct the gas prices, and offshore drilling is not it (short term or long).

Trust me, these gas prices are killing the economy here in Michigan, where auto sales drive everything. The big three were too arrogant about their SUV sales, and weren't looking at the changing needs, so this area is hurting now. These idiots still don't know how to make a gasoline economy vehicle that can compete with anything foreign and they wonder why they are losing money :/
  • Jonathan
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Jonathan wrote: »
    I will be voting for McCain/Palin

Well the important thing is that you vote so don't forget to show up at the polls on November 6th!
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    No country for old men! Obama all the way... if i was able to vote that is. But honestly speaking, I hope things turn out better this time for you guys. Things that happen in the USA also effect other countries
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i feel like if obama wins, everyone will be more confident in our country's future and the economy will do better everywhere.

I feel that if mccain wins, he'll do smart conservative things that make the economy better.

If I win I will construct a giant solid gold statue of a penis and place it in the center of Iraq for all to see.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    im teh liberal!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You guys keeping things civil has really got me all worked up!

*whipes the single tear away*

haha..
  • Ferg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    i feel like if obama wins, everyone will be more confident in our country's future and the economy will do better everywhere.

I feel that if mccain wins, he'll do smart conservative things that make the economy better.

Well that is if mccain lives long enough to do anything. Then hes replaced by the crazy religious zealot who spends the rest of her term "fixing" the country of all non christian things.

I used to like mccain back when his personal views were his own. Now it seems everything i remember him campaigning on in 04 has been reversed/revised to be a perfect bush clone. To me it seems like he lost what would have made him a good president.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    It's certainly not this simple, but I think generally you can split the voters in the U.S. between the people who's heads just explode after watching Palin's speeches at her church and those that agree or accept them. (And then those that will never even hear about them but still vote)

To say that we're following God's Plan in the Middle East... the terrorists on 9/11 were doing God's work, too. But I guess if, in your mind, your God is winning, that makes them the right God. (Search for The Crusades on wikipedia if you need a hint)

There are plenty of people that believe in the End Times so strongly they will do whatever they can to make it into reality. I know it sounds like I'm over-reacting to Palin, but these are people that have control over NUCLEAR WEAPONS. I hate when people use fear to make a point, but that is genuinely scary to me.

I agree, McCain seemed like a reasonable choice the first time he ran, but this time around he's literally reversed half of his views and flat-out lied about others. How does that not bother people? America just depresses me now because even if Obama wins, the fact that this election could even be close is really sad.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea tgz, that does remind me of palin. She scares the ever loving shit out of me.... Jesus christ that bitch is scary. I watched some speech she gave to some high schoolers on youtube... McCain better not die if he gets elected.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Offshore Drilling :

We only have about 3 percent of the worlds oil reserves (I'm not including oil shale). If we drill more here in the US the oil won't stay here it will go onto the world market because we don't have a nationalized oil industry ala Venezuela. So the argument is that we produce more oil put in on the world market and drive prices down. How can we do that when we can only supply 3% of the world oil supply? Do people really think that OPEC would let the US drive the price of oil down? OPEC holds a lot more oil than the US and therefor more market leverage.

The argument then moves to a compromise (which Obama supports) whereby oil companies get to drill in more spots but lose their subsidies, that money is then used to invest in alternative energy sources. Think of all the things we make out of plastic, it all comes from oil, replacement hearts, hips, knees, fake boobs, food packaging, cds, paper coatings, car parts, Michael Jackson's skin, etc... when oil is such a fundamental part of things that support our existence why would we want to continue to burn what's left in gas tanks?
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    double post :P
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 18
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    I used to like mccain back when his personal views were his own.

yeah, totally. mccain was interesting at one point, a rare republican with principles that were actually in line for what the party once stood for, not what it's been purchased and rebranded as. Seems like in order to get the nomination he had to transform into this comic-book supervillain party stooge, though, and now he's basically more of the same.

I'm voting for obama. He actually has policies that he's not afraid to articulate at his party's convention and in debates, he's not releasing a new attack ad every other week, and he's behind Science.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    I knew, didn't care.

Seriously? That's pretty sad man. Seriously, I know that the sensationalistic headlines American politics cause are eye catching, but it's a pretty low day when you care so much about that and totally disregard political events actually pertaining to you and your life, is it not?

Meh, maybe it's just me.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I thought this was something related to the republic of MARS, silly me! :poly142:

Who will do the best? the world is now a shit, both "bushes" were bad and we expect someone better to solve the things they did bad, like Clinton on his days after bush father.

Petrol speculation 4 the win? gun manufacturers 4 the win? more wars?

I'm not from USA, but like all this will have influence on Europe, I say OBAMA!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Seriously? That's pretty sad man. Seriously, I know that the sensationalistic headlines American politics cause are eye catching, but it's a pretty low day when you care so much about that and totally disregard political events actually pertaining to you and your life, is it not?

Meh, maybe it's just me.

I've also never really paid much attention to Canadian politics and I don't know what are we electing right now. Here's your chance to educate us Tulkamir! :) what the hell is going on in my country?!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i'm not registered!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I vote Paris Hilton and Rhianna ! woot !

Seriously if I was over there Id be going for Obama.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    If Obama wins, I'll seriously be looking for work in a new country. Regardless that he's a Democrat, I don't think he's ready, or right for this country at this time. With the kind of external issues we have coming from the middle-east and north Korea, I don't feel he's experienced enough to be able to function properly. Maybe in another 4 years he might.

In my eyes America would be much weaker with Obama as president and plowing through changes without a care in the world.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Xenobond wrote: »
    If Obama wins, I'll seriously be looking for work in a new country. Regardless that he's a Democrat, I don't think he's ready, or right for this country at this time. With the kind of external issues we have coming from the middle-east and north Korea, I don't feel he's experienced enough to be able to function properly. Maybe in another 4 years he might.

In my eyes America would be much weaker with Obama as president and plowing through changes without a care in the world.

So you put your faith in a 72 year old that has had a bout with cancer and his hockey mom sidekick? I understand your point to a degree but with Pallin on the ticket experience is no longer guaranteed for either choice.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Ozymandias wrote: »
    In regards to offshore drilling, .... It will take close to a decade before this "new oil" becomes available for us to use, and if we are going to spend a decade in pursuit of more energy, shouldn' t it be renewable sources of energy that will solve our oil problem.

Why is it always one way or the other? Why can't it be both? Picken's Plan seems to look pretty good...

http://www.pickensplan.com/about/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH!
    SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH!
    SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH!
    WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!
    HARDCORE GAY SEX!
    TERRRR!

Obama.

edit: the possibility of Palin being President F'ing frightens me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    Why is it always one way or the other? Why can't it be both? Picken's Plan seems to look pretty good...

http://www.pickensplan.com/about/

When I first heard he had launched a plan I thought oh great a greasy ol oil man is gearing up to rape and pillage more natural resources and stall renewable energy, but was dead wrong.

He said he would talk to both of the candidates at the same time or wait until the next president was picked before he started lobbing the white house directly. I really admire that about him and his plan is pretty solid. He's also very open to listening to what people have to say and making changes to his plan. I personally think its the best way forward and I really hope that most if not all of the ideas are picked up in whoever's energy plan.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    What qualifies you to be President? There is no experience a person can have that will qualify them to be President IMO. There is no other job that carries that kind of decision making and stress. The way I see it, neither of the candidates are experienced. What I vote on is based on who shares my views the most and I feel isn't feeding me shit... because that's all a vote can ever be based on anyway (a feeling). You don't know what any of these guys will do once in office.

For example, as I mentioned earlier and TGZ stated, McCain use to have opinions that I agreed with, and I felt he could do well. Then he realized he had to become more of a Republican puppet to get their backing, so that's what he's done. Now I can't stand him and I don't agree with anything he's puking out lately. On the same point, maybe he's just doing what he needs to get his party to support his election, then he'll go back to what he use to believe... I just don't want to take that gamble. Then to have Palin in there too... my decision was sealed at that point.

For the record, I usually voted outside of the two main parties, simply to show my distaste for either candidate. Obama is the first time that I honestly feel a candidate may shake things up a bit... and this government desperately needs a shakeup.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    I've been following the race closely, for some reason. Entertainment, I suppose.
    So basically most of you are voting for an individual rather than a political party, which means the whole system is broken from the get-go. No wonder how out of the countless of super-intelligent and inspiring great people in America not one of them is in the presidential race.

Now you're left with the suave and shallow hollywood stereotype and the unbalanced zero-charisma veteran.

I think there's something to the future visions of sci-fi literature where massive corporations govern countries. That's basically the same as you have now, only more efficient and involving less BS.

There have been quite a few times I was forced to vote down party lines and couldn't vote for the person I wanted to (or my ballot wouldnt' be counted) because they where "on the other side". Bullshit, we shouldn't have to put up with ineffective morons because they belong to the popular party. If the Governor I wanted to see make into the general elections I had to vote for the rest of the idiots in that party. Now that Wash St has a top two rule, we now have candidates not ruling parties, and the best people are actually starting to filter into our state government. I'd like to see this happen on a national level. The party system is killing us.

The ideas that lead to party the dead lock, that paralyzes our government is responsible for so much of the governments misdeeds. They need to be reminded that we are one America and we need to work together not two parties that need to tar the other no matter the cost. I could care less about wrong doings of the other party, I want to know what they're going to do once they get in. chances are I already know what they did wrong, we don't need to hear it again again, when we should focus on the future.

Even if either presidential candidate makes into the office and actually tries to change things they'll have a hard time. Why? Party dead lock in the house and senate. The president can't actually force change without their support.

With the current party system, in order to actually get anything done, we'll need each state to vote along the same lines as the presidential election. Once we have a matching set, we can get things moving. The problem is that means voting out some great people because the last president was a douche, and possibly voting in some morons just because they belong to the right party at the right time.

With sweeping elections it also makes it easy for industry to filter people into the government. When there are only two candidates on a ballot and only one of them has a real shot (thanks to party affiliation) it makes it really easy to slip the wrong people into the right job. You don't need a strong qualified candidate, just someone loyal.

More then likely the states won't agree to vote blindly and will actually pick the the best candidates it can (because most people are fed up with the system), so we'll end up in deadlock again.

Neither national party gets it, and as long as they are sitting fat dumb and happy they could care less with the course of things. They talk a good game so they can continue in their fat dumb and happy ways. Once their in they always slack off and use the party divide as an excuse to not get things done. Why is it that we hear the same issues each election and the problems never get solved?

Its a fundamental flaw in American politics. One that showed its ugly head many many times in the current presidents speeches, especially to the UN and other countries. Your with me or against me, no compromise, no listening to the other side. Do what America wants or get out of the way.

America, does not play well with others... Keeping the party system the way it is will only further frustrate the problem and do nothing to reverse it.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond wrote: »

Just don't forget to show up and vote on November 6th!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perna: I agree, scifi writers often seem to just be ahead of the curve, fortunately and unfortunately :( I would say that most people that actually give a shit are voting for a party, but you're probably right that the majority of Americans are voting for an individual.

The problem to me is that while we like to think all Americans can unite under whats best for our country, there are people that think we need to be at war teaching the rest of the world the right way to do things, as well as refusing to help our own citizens because they should be helping themselves. I was raised by a single mother and we were on welfare at times, and I have talked to a lot of people that say welfare is just a way of taking care of lazy people. You can guess what I say to them :P I have actually heard people say that poor people have more children to get more welfare checks (this was at my college where half of the students were the children of Houstonites with oil money).

I don't pretend to know the answer, though. I think the party system is flawed beyond repair because of the back and forth bickering, and not actually working towards what would help Americans in general. I also think a large portion of U.S. citizens aren't concerned with helping Americans in general; they want to help themselves and believe everyone should be capable of helping themselves, even though this is never the case. This extends to a global level, as well.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a more serious note, I think we all know who we REALLY want for president:
    i1H.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Tulkamir wrote: »

Meh, maybe it's just me.

Relax Mitch, I care about as much as our political parties as I do theirs. I'm simply looking for discussion.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Obama is trying hard to be a middle-line democract -- this raises hope that his administration will be more focused on capability to manage the country and less stark party lines.

Mccain is way too conservative, his administration would be abhorrently partisan; pandering to one side works great in elections but not so well when objective management is concerned.

Obama may not have the experience to deal with every issue that comes at him, but who is? He's not going to be singlehandedly leading the country, I don't think any president ever has. He seems capable and popular enough to gather some good people around him to make up for his inexperience.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gov Schwarzenegger is great. I have family in Southern California and they fully support him. They're also firmly Dem's and didn't vote for him, so that has to tell you something. I have yet to hear a speech hes made that I didn't agree with almost everything the guy said.

http://gov.ca.gov/ has every speech he's ever given. Video and text.

He has made some great (but hard) choices when it comes to education and the environment which gets him in trouble with some groups, but he sticks to what he believes is the best move and when you cut through the sound bites and political crap, he's doing a great job.

Sadly this is probably as far as his career will take him, he's disqualified from running for President.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    republicans are fags lol!

i'll be by the swings at 2:30
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I didn't vote for Arnold, and while I think he's done some shitty things (we're in a budget crisis, lets cut education!) He hasn't fucked the state up as much as I expected. . .
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I remember when Republicans hated McCain, "he might as well be a democrat!" and alot of Democrats loved him because he seemed like a level headed guy who was a unifier.

So it's unfortunate to see his turn to hard-core republicanism but the Bush administration showed that for a Republican to win all they need is support from their base.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    From what I've heard (most of my family lives in CA), Arnold has fucked it up pretty horribly. I guess it depends on who you ask.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can just imagine Arnie for Prez: "Mr. Schwarzenegger, what is your stance on Iraq?"
    "Nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be shuah!"

:P

There's people on both sides of the fence about Arnold, and I'm in Texas so I'm not too qualified to say anything about him, but seriously he seems to at least be trying and succeeding in some fashion to make things less bipartisan, which I think is awesome. I would take him a lot more seriously as a candidate than McCain.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    BTW would someone post a link to where to get registered to vote.

Does anyone know where you can do that on the 360? I keep hearing that you can, but have yet to find it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    www.justvote.org
    www.rockthevote.com
    www.google.com

MSG partnered with Rock the Vote, I think its part of the dashboard, I haven't checked yet.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'm impressed with how long this has lasted. I'm a durn furn'er still so I can't vote but it sure is an exciting soap opera.
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's strange, actually. I (despite being English, not American) care considerably more about American politics than UK politics. At least with American politics there is a clear, distinctive difference between the two major parties and their candidates. Over here, both sides have been merging into one for years, and now I honestly can't tell the difference between them, which has unfortunately led me to complete apathy towards the whole process, because its a farce. All I know is that the people at the top are pretty much completely incompetent, and even the bright young things like Milliband are just clones of what we had before. Everything else is just petty arguments and power-struggles.

There isn't enough true youth in politics, which is I think why we have the problems we have. Change comes from the youth, in all facets of culture. Slamming politicians because of their 'lack of experience' is, in my opinion, short sighted. It should be about their ideas and possibilities, their potential, not how well they recite old and outdated political dogma.

And then we have the essential problem of professional politicians. When people can make a really good living out of being a leader, rather than being a leader because thats what they ARE, thats when we have a bit of a stickler on our hands. Leaders are unfortunately necessary for humans (adding to my general dislike of humanity and its fucking *stupid* ways), but those leaders should be leaders because they are visionary, and because they can help their people move forward, not because they can make a career of it.

Just my tuppence.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    I didn't vote for Arnold, and while I think he's done some shitty things (we're in a budget crisis, lets cut education!) He hasn't fucked the state up as much as I expected. . .

Well, to be fair, pretty much EVERYTHING has gotten cuts. All state workers are getting minimum wage. They cant even live on that... Thats just how it goes when you have no money. If only the federal gov understood this...
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    palin.jpg
    fuck it, I'm voting red.
  • ebagg
  • Joshua Stubbles
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    LOL

I don't know if this counts for anything, but if the rest of the world got to vote in this election, Obama would be president.

As for the Canadian election; I'm with Adam. I think the general indifference is that we're pretty sure (and hoping for) another minority government.

It's a very likely possibility that EVERY party will severely mess things up for us in drastic ways, no matter who we vote for. A minority government will likely just mess it up less, and a lot slower.

:)
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Well, I'm gonna agree with Noam Chomsky on this one....

"The United States in a fake democracy, and it's citizens are hardly more than irrelevant onlookers".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZuHAqjI3CY[/ame]