Home General Discussion

Democratic or Republican

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i just ruined my pants with a drink that doesnt even exist in america, its a mixture of coke and orange lemnade, these things are pretty simmilar, so i think i would be a democratic, because mixing similar things requires gay marriage... and the drink tastes pretty darn good

as you can see, even 2 cants can be worth nothing...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Whoever gets in it is likely they will get voted twice...think about Clinton and Bush.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Pliang, that would depend on whether or not they actually do a good job. Clinton did, so he got a second term. Bush's first term was also fantastic. Hell, the first few months of his second were also great, seeing the stock market move higher than it ever has in history. Then he blew it to shit. But you get the point :)

After reading up on some Palin facts from many sources, I'm heavily leaning towards Obama now. I was pretty much on the fence until this. Unless I can get some serious reassurances from McCain, I'll have to vote dem this time around.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Pliang, that would depend on whether or not they actually do a good job. Clinton did, so he got a second term. Bush's first term was also fantastic. Hell, the first few months of his second were also great, seeing the stock market move higher than it ever has in history. Then he blew it to shit. But you get the point :)

Define "fantastic". Bush's first term was not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. They just ran an extraordinary campaign. Probably the best campaign in history (can you imagine what would happen if Swift Boat ads came out against McCain? It'd be a disaster, but against Kerry, with two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star, they were fatal... you even had members of Congress making fun of his service). Well a great campaign by Bush and an awful one by Kerry.

Combine that with, exactly as pilang said, very high reincumbent election rates, and we'll very likely be electing the same person in 4 years.
    http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/reelect.php?cycle=2006
    1. Incumbent Presidents who run again, win. This was true of 12 of the 16 (Now 14 of 19, with BushvClinton, ClintonvDole, and BushvKerry) races in this century when an incumbent President was re-nominated. The four exceptions: Taft in 1908, Hoover in 1932, Ford in 1976, and Carter in 1980 (And Bush in 1992). In addition, two other incumbents probably would have lost if they had run: Truman in 1952 and Johnson in 1968.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n4_v44/ai_11925690
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    pliang wrote: »
    Whoever gets in it is likely they will get voted twice...think about Clinton and Bush.

It's impossible to say, but I'd be willing to bet that if not for 9/11 Bush would not have gotten a second term.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »

That video sent me into an Obama youtube binge all weekend. That was awesome.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    My shallow observations are clearly indicative of scientific fact, because i have either 100 posts or am pliang.