Home General Discussion

Warhammer Online - Has Gone Gold!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
So we have now officially "Gone Gold". It'll be interesting to see people joining up and playing in the world that's been made. I know I plan on playing.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/pressreleases/20080826.php

Replies

• Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Whew!!! Lovin' it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    cool, i guess it still hit the streets on the 18th. At least i can get some more beta love next weekend.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I plan on playing! I actually know absolutely nothing about the game. I want it all to be a surprise!! im not doing beta. Just gonna grab the game, install and randomly select a class/race that looks interesting and start exploring. Hope it turns out to be as much fun as ive built it up in my head.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Polycounter's who have worked on this game, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, why would i want to play this game?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    congrats! too bad the beta doesn't work yet (or i didn't get invited or something, for the europe beta)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Congratulations on the gold \o/

I have it on preorder so I'll play at least for the "free" 30 day period. Don't feel I have the time anymore to grind away in an MMO when there's always new things to be learned here in real life.

Should be fun, though :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The 'open beta' for those that preordered doesn't start until Sep 7th, the preview weekend was this past weekend.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Play it for the RvR, on the preview weekend I played from first level to 10 in RvR only

I wish there was a tactic to slow my xp gain so I wouldn't out level the rvr lake, I'm playing the RvR for fun not trying to grind xp or rp, that's gotta be a first for MMO's right?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Polycounter's who have worked on this game, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, why would i want to play this game?

brome right around a month ago i was like "meh this game will do ok, but i doubt it will be anything amazing"
    then a few weeks back when beta was going i hopped in and started playing with the unwashed masses. and to my suprise it was tons of fun. i played all i could and am now sad the beta is down.

i hate most mmol but in this i just roam around and kill other players.. from first level on up.

even if i had nothing to do with its production i would play this.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Seriously. This thread needs more EA Mythic people :p

Even more seriously: Being a European, buying the European version off of Direct2Drive UK, will I be able to play on US servers as well as European ones?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I can't wait. I'm going to pre-order it this week and this will be my first pay-as-you-go MMO I've played and willing to pay to play!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I really want to check it out. Is there any kind of trial period like you get with WoW?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slum i can't say 100% but i'd be willing to bet there would be, its pretty common for mmo
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    the preview weekend was fun, still some bugs and things that Mythic has acknowledged and working on. Looking forward to open beta and live retail. First MMO where I really can't decide which class to play, out of the 4 I tried in the PW, 3 were a blast to play. grats guys!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    shit, I may have to try this

we're gonna need a who's-where-in-warhammer thread... I might want to brutally destroy-- I mean team up with -- some fellow counters
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Play it for the RvR, on the preview weekend I played from first level to 10 in RvR only

I wish there was a tactic to slow my xp gain so I wouldn't out level the rvr lake, I'm playing the RvR for fun not trying to grind xp or rp, that's gotta be a first for MMO's right?

DarkAge worked the same way a couple years into it. Sheesh, does that mean that I wasted 4 years of my life playing MMOs (between DarkAge and WOW). I vowed never to go back to an MMO again. I'm proud to say I've been WOW free for two years straight. I can't enjoy those kinds of games in moderation so long as PVP is involved.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I too was sure things would be ok and the game would do well once launched but was going to play it just to see how everything came together in the end. I made a character to play during the Preview Weekend knowing that most people in game would be from the general public and I changed my opinion from "Feeling obligated to play something I helped make" to "I really am having fun playing this game and want to play it more". I was sad as well come Monday to find the beta servers turned off. I had been playing as a Witch Elf for the Dark Elves. It was a lot of fun. I too liked playing in the RvR Scenario setting the best. It almost felt like Battlefield sans the vehicles. I'd just run up on the opposing team and stab with my daggers for poison and keep moving around to rack up some kills. I will definitely play upon our formal retail release on a regular basis. It is a good feeling to want to play what you worked on. That is for sure.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Slum wrote: »
    I really want to check it out. Is there any kind of trial period like you get with WoW?

MMO trials usually happen after a year (maybe a little less) of its birth. usually.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Open beta and I'm guessing a free month of play with purchase of game?
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats to all polycounters involved, definitely a nice title to have under your belts!

I played the beta last weekend and it was heaps of fun, there's so much to do to break the monotony of typical PVE quest grinding.

I've got the collectors edition on pre-order to play with a bunch of guys from work when the retail release drops in September. I'm a sucker for those collectors edition trinkets. :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I might give it a shot, I was vaguely tempted by World of Warcraft, but I've been a Warhammer fan for years, so I'll see if I can at least last the out-of-the-box month :)

I'm loath to pay a monthly fee for any game though, it'll have to be bloody addictive or else I won't keep playing :(
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats! This game better fucking do well or EA execs may be breathing down our necks...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    grats all round.

i'll be playing as a High Elf Jedi Kni... i mean, Swordmaster. or a White Lion. (i'm a HE player on the table).

personally though, i feel there might have been better success if they had set this in the 40k universe, as the only "decent" sci-fi MMO's so far have been laughable.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I wouldn't call PlanetSide laughable by any measure.

But yeah, hopefully W40k will show up soon enough as an MMOFPS (really, the whole MMORPG genre is feeling a bit stretched thin..). We are probably at a point where a good MMOFPS is really doable, and the W40k setting would be perfect for it.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't call Tabula Rasa laughable either, contrary to other peoples opinions. I had more fun in tabula than any other mmo to date.

Here's to hoping Warhammer gets the success it deserves.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to 3/4 of Polycount for working on this, credited and uncredited alike ;)
    I'm still not sure whether or not I will be picking this up... Most of the guys in my studio have it pre-ordered or are planning to get it on release.
    Regardless, it looks great and I've heard great thing about it, so you guys should be proud and best of luck on the success of the game.

-caseyjones
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my pre-order and waitin to smash some 'eds. I was very skeptical for a long time but the game seems to have taken shape in the last couple months, Ive read nothing but good things.

Oh and Planetside is one of my favorite games of all time, forever.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh, and of course there's the fact that unlike most other MMO's... warhammer orcs are PROPER orcs >_>
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    congratulations to all who worked on, what looks to be, this awesome game title; credited or not.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I've usually been bagging on this game for such a long time. Most of it was because some systems were still hold overs from DAOC that were probably being used until the new ones came online.

However, in the last few months I've been able to see many cool things come into the game that really changed how I felt about it.
    • The lighting system with the light maps and ao maps, how they can be tweaked per region/time of day are really neat.
    • The specular level on players had been fairly low and hard to even know if it existed. More recently the value seemed to get bumped up and looks a lot better now. The specular maps on the terrain had also finally been turned on. It's like the other half of the art that was made finally decided to show up.
    • The new painted skydomes with better cloud layers and effects make it enjoyable to watch the time transitions.
    • We finally have persistent effects able to be played on weapons. For me as the lead artist in charge of items was really important for me. It was also a big headache because we had to go back through every single weapon and add geometry for where the effect would be contained in. This will be most noticeable on the Empire Brightwizard Staves.
    • Lastly, one of the neat things for me was seeing the Cannons, Bolt Throwers and other Siege equipment come alive and you can actually use them. Reminded me of using the stationary guns in Battlefield 1942.
    Anyway, I made sure to play during the preview weekend too, and I had a lot of fun. Didn't do any of the scenarios though. Still not sure if I like PvP yet. Will probably try it out and kill some noobs during open beta.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats guys.

One question if you could possibly answer.

The one thing that broke my heart about DAOC (enough to the point i have not played one since) was allowing dual accounts to be played which to me destroyed my favorite part of that game. RVR. Is it standard and allowed right off the bat or is by any chance not in the game?? A.K.A buffbots.

Depending on this will be a big basis on my desicion to buy the game.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like two instances of the game running at the same time? or do you mean dual boxing?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond wrote: »
    like two instances of the game running at the same time? or do you mean dual boxing?

Well yeah,typically used in Daoc to have one toon specifically for buffs(concentration based) and one player buffed to the teeth.

In rvr it threw off any sort of balance and it began this arms race to buy a bot to do so and where in the past you could find a group for xp ,people would decline because they were botted.

In rvr it meant that if you did not have a second buffing account it meant you were at a sever disadvantage and in my opinioned it ruined the game,especially the rvr aspect and it began the slow and eventual decline of the game.

I want to give this game a try but if Mythics view on this is the same i will automatically pass.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just looking on the website, and one thing i'm extremely disappointed at, is the lack of "correctness".

for example, Dark elves have never, and will never, had male sorcerers. it's the decree of Malekith, and his mother, Morathi, that only witch elves may ever learn mystic arts. under pain of torture, and sacrifice.

i would have expected them to have gotten rid of the deciple of khain class, and integrated that with the witch elves, and instead have included classes like the executioners of har ganneth, or even the corsairs.

just nit picking i guess, but if you are gonna make a game that is about another game, you should get it right >_<
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    JO420 wrote: »
    In rvr it meant that if you did not have a second buffing account it meant you were at a sever disadvantage and in my opinioned it ruined the game,especially the rvr aspect and it began the slow and eventual decline of the game.
    Something tells me that if many players of WAR get a second subscription, Mythic/EA won't object. They might not condone the practice of buffing accounts openly, but I'm sure you can count on them rubbing their greedy little hands together ;)

Besides, it'll be difficult to enforce it. People are going to get multiple accounts for their spouses/kids and run them off of the same IP addresses when they play together as a family event.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    gir - having worked with Games Workshop before, I can attest that they keep careful watch over everything, down to the belt buckles used. Literally. If it's in there, it must fit into canon in some byzantine way.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    and where the fuck are the dark elf assassins?

god i'm such a fanboy >_<
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64373
    Link to a thread that mentions EA's attitude on botters.
    I guess by using Punkbuster, it'll make it easier for the support teams to track down these kinds of things and stop them.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    The problem with Punkbuster is that it doesn't really work. Sure, it works to prevent the random scriptkiddie with a memory hacker tool, but against the more established programmers of bots (the ones who make bots that actually work) it's fairly toothless.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Xenobond wrote: »
    http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64373
    Link to a thread that mentions EA's attitude on botters.
    I guess by using Punkbuster, it'll make it easier for the support teams to track down these kinds of things and stop them.

Not the kind of bots he is talking about. He is talking about a player using a second account with say a cleric or druid buffing his main char with statbuffs. Not a problem in war tho because there is no classes with any great amount of buffs and afaik there are no concentration based buffs at all only time limited ones.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gir, i believe somewhere it mentions that mal is pardoning sorcerors so they can help with the war, but mentions he will probably slaughter them all when its finished. so it helps him by adding more troops, and gets them all out of hiding

and i think as far as buff heal bots, most of the class mechanics make it where they don't do well as just bots, like most healers have to fill other roles to make their heals work good.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It'll be interesting to see how this one stacks up against WoW, seems like MMOs these days will attract people away from WoW momentarily, then they all go right back to WoW.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Any screenshots with the lightmaps out yet?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the beta players have been releasing the best shots, here's one I like (click link for full img):
    warshot01.jpg

once again, Tracy's statues gettin all the luv

oh yeah, have to pimp the first model I made at mythic, the sweet order flag
    justin_flag_order.jpg
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sold. I just wished i had pre-ordered the CE. :/

Anyone knows where i can find more shots with the upgraded graphics?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my rvr dwarf walls off in the background.

wall.jpg

and for somereason this dragon skeleton is one of my all time fave models
    dragon.jpg
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    dawm.. are those in game screens? that doesn't look anywhere close to what I saw in the preview weekend