Home General Discussion

E3 2008

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
Its shaping up to be an awesome e3 alot of gameplay videos coming out also alot of awesome trailers whats got you most excited? for me it has to be gears of war.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lYGH4aUZC8A[/ame]

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that trailer was awesome.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    New Resident Evil 5 trailer is sex. http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36228.html

Fable 2 looks to be pretty cool.

Halo Wars looks to be fun.

Speaking of Bungie.. looking forward to what happens when the splash page on Bungie.net changes. I read of a rumored new squad based Halo game.... hrmm...

Too Human demo: Diablo + Devil May Cry + Space Vikings == OMGWTFBBQSauceCoolness
    (though camera is a bit funky but not too hard to get used to)

XBox Live fall update is... interesting.. complete redesign of the interface. Gameshows looks fun.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Holy Fawk that gears trailer got me hard.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Don't forget Final Fantasy XIII announced for Xbox 360. That is big news. I wonder if Sony has a large counter play up their sleeves. I'm hoping for an unveiling of the new Team Ico projects.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    nacire wrote: »
    Don't forget Final Fantasy XIII announced for Xbox 360. That is big news. I wonder if Sony has a large counter play up their sleeves. I'm hoping for an unveiling of the new Team Ico projects.

YEA! That's pretty damn insane news, but I see the rumor was being milled around for awhile now. Square has made xbox 360 titles so it's not too surprising I suppose...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    The lineup sure has shaped up since last year...
  • adam
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah the id/ea partnership was crazy.... left for dead was the highlight of for me today, crazy awesome.
  • adam
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirror's Edge and Dragon Age are stealing the show for me. Fable 2's looking pretty neat, though. I also want so badly to like what I've seen of Fallout 3... but I can't bring myself to do it.

I'm interested to hear what this new IP from Ninty is tomorrow, too.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rage..... WOW

Edit: here's another off-screen cam of the trailer, better than the shacknews one i think http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/19943
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man thanks Adam for the Rage trailer, I didn't know they had a new one :P I can't wait for that game man... badass indeed.

Mirror's Edge just seems like one of those games where you have to play it yourself to see, it looks great.... but those trailers show a lack of weight, which is kinda weird since its based of momentum. (My opinion anyways).

I haven't gotten my hands on Too Human demo yet, but big up to my homies at Silicon Knights (Ontario RAWKS) :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i agree about mirrors edge, especially with the slides. Theres no way she was going fast enough to slide 15 feet unless she AND the ground were coated in grease.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    damn gears 2 looks sweet. so does mirrors edge, i think it's going to be fun no matter what. even if she is a 10 pound greased up deaf girl.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Netflix for 360, the ability to install games to the HDD, and FFXII for 360.

Bonertastic.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New 360 dash, mirrors edge and gow2 are enough to keep me excited until the end of the year :)

I think the 360 avatars are a complete gimmick though, but the voice conference chat is sooo overdue its unbelievable!
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    Mirrors edge has gotten me excited out of nowhere cant wait to play that. Rage looks sick and the new 360 dash has got me pumped :P
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    OH GOD! Just watched the Rage trailer. Holy crap!!!! YES. Buying it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    MS's conference was the worst thing i have ever watched... that shit was painful. It showed off all the shit that no one is supposed to see.

system crash: [x] gears
    slow/boring gameplay: [x] fallout 3 (i was looking forward to that game too...)
    cutting off a big game: [x] resident evil 5 (best part of the demo and they didn't get to show it)
    lack of enthusiasm: [x] the whole thing
    bad rip off other company's ideas: [x] the whole mass market section
    random bad singer: [x] lips singer, she didn't even do a good job on her own song.

I HATE THE AVATARS!!!!

The new UI is just sad looking in its blatant rip of the Wii and I tunes cover flow. Its like looking at bad UVs where they waste 75% of the texture space. WTF was wrong with the old tabs that give you the info you want and use the full screen?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    MS's conference was the worst thing i have ever watched... that shit was painful. It showed off all the shit that no one is supposed to see.

system crash: [x] gears
    slow/boring gameplay: [x] fallout 3 (i was looking forward to that game too...)
    cutting off a big game: [x] resident evil 5 (best part of the demo and they didn't get to show it)
    lack of enthusiasm: [x] the whole thing
    bad rip off other company's ideas: [x] the whole mass market section
    random bad singer: [x] lips singer, she didn't even do a good job on her own song.

I HATE THE AVATARS!!!!

The new UI is just sad looking in its blatant rip of the Wii and I tunes cover flow. Its like looking at bad UVs where they waste 75% of the texture space. WTF was wrong with the old tabs that give you the info you want and use the full screen?

lol, I'm pretty damn happy about most of it, except I don't give a shit about a lady singing. The New UI looks fine to me but I hope it's optional. Oh, and those avatars look way better than Mii's. I'm looking forward to them. It's not like you're forced to make one.. (oh wait.. are you? :P)
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im waiting for some new Wario Land footage. Also fallout looks boring. FFXIII trailer got me excited...but the storm trooper ripoffs made me gag. Gears looks okay. And fable...disappointing. Also the avatar system looks totally dumb.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, fallout 3 looks awesome. Those of you who are saying the gameplay is slow and boring likely didnt play the previous fallout games. Fallout 3 may be gritty and desaturated, but if you're expecting Gears of War, you're looking in the wrong place.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    Oh man, fallout 3 looks awesome.

Hell yea.

TGZ -

I dunno how some of you wanks always find shit to bitch about.

There are so many amazing trailers and demos happening, and all you can do is bitch, bitch, bitch.

Rage, Fallout 3, Fable 2, Gears 2, RE5, nice new menu system (Blade system is pretty bad, dunno why you wouldn't want it changed), netflix on demand, Dragon Age, Mirrors edge... like holy crap, so much good stuff.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know GodZero, for me I think they had a pretty damn good press conference.

- I personally like the avatars a lot. Anything I can collect for or customize myself is fun for me. Not to mention is an extra plus to get the missus involved in things. I enjoyed making Mii's for my entire family and I'm sure I'll enjoy the avatars even more. Shit man, I just like to be creative and the more outlets the better.

- The new dash looks nice and sleek, but I'm not sure if it will be as concise and straight forward as it is now. Regardless, revamped dash = fresh experience. I'm not sure where you're getting Wii rip off for the UI. It looks completely different than the Wii Menu despite the avatars and calling the different tabs "channels."

- I'll agree the Fallout demo wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but it didn't fall too short. I think the story, quests, npc groups, etc. will help make the game. There just wasn't enough time to get into all of that during the playthrough.

- The Mass Market scene may not be the most appealing thing to the people around here, but I definitely think it's hitting the mark for the masses. That gameshow channel is exactly the shit that my wife and all of her friends would sit and play for hours, not to mention scene it and all of the endless download packs I'm sure it will have.

- Enthusiasm, come on man it's a press conference and these folks are PR people. When certain devs tried to be enthusiastic they got "crickets" anyways so I think just shooting straight and showing the goods is probably the best approach.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited for the rest of the year in terms of microsoft, I can't wait to see what Nintendo and Sony have in store for this E3.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know i just expect people at press events to at least try and act like they are happy to be there. That way when people watch it they don't feel like they just watched a train wreck. The metalica thing was almost just as bad as if they booed him.

BTW what do you think avatars mean for us devs? With the combo of new dash and avatars its kind of the end to DLC picture packs and themes for games. Do you think this will mean that they(MS) will want us to make game themed accessory's (hair, hats, clothes, and what not)?
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know i just expect people at press events to at least try and act like they are happy to be there. That way when people watch it they don't feel like they just watched a train wreck. The metalica thing was almost just as bad as if they booed him.

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. It just seems like these folks are poor actors so their enthusiasm reeks of BS. Yeah that poor guy should have let the Metallica thing go.
    BTW what do you think avatars mean for us devs? With the combo of new dash and avatars its kind of the end to DLC picture packs and themes for games. Do you think this will mean that they(MS) will want us to make game themed accessory's (hair, hats, clothes, and what not)?

Good question man. I don't know really, but I think that would be a great idea. I also think they could still do themes for the new dash, but the gamer pics are probably goners. Who knows though, maybe avatars will be totally optional. To early to tell. :D
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    picture themes can still be used. don't know about themes though. They want to encourage use of avatars though
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    a bit late, but holy shitstorm that gears trailer is the single most awesome thing i've seen in 5 years!
    so un-hollywood cookie cutter bullshit, it makes my skin tingle with pleasure!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I was kinda meh on GoW2... though I never got into the first one. Twas pretty but eh, it didn't do it for me. Same with Fallout..

The gameplay looks interesting. I like the idea of tactical pausing/aiming. The gore looked fun, wonder how it holds up through repitition though.

I'm iffy on the new dashboard... I think the Mii60's will be fun but I hope the UI is condensed a little bit. I would like more direct access to my stuffs. Currently it's about 2 screens out of what I would prefer (much like stuff in Windows -__-;; )
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Please tell me the Rage trailer is not pre-rendered, it looks highly polished.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    That Rage trailer was hard to believe.

Man, RE5. If I can afford it, I may have to break down and get a 360 to play it. RE4 was the reason I got a Gamecube.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's all a bit "meh" for me. They look fun to be sure, but nothing spectacular.

Gears of War 2: < 30 fps (in most spots)? Still grey? I know it's a demo, and 4 months away from release, but come on

Resident Evil 5: Stupid AI still? Zombies falling through world geometry (stairs)? Give me a break

Fallout3: Looked okay, but overall seemed clunky. Hopefully it will be polished up by release

Rage looked amazing though. If that was in fact realtime and not prerendered game assets, they've got something there. Fantastic lighting, texturing and especially animation. Really looking forward to that.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    RE5 got me wet
    GoW2 looks badass - really want to try the Horde gameplay
    Netflix on the 360 - 'bout damn time
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah rage was not prerendered, all ingame. we also don't have any kind of cinematic assets or anything like that all of this is in the engine and running realtime.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    totally rad stuff V, do we have to wait for quake con for a non screen recording, i want to see this in all its glory.
    Where is earthquake to tell us how shitty this looks. like the last time they showed this stuff,
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    That Fable 2 trailer was lamesauce, funny thing is the game looks great in the game play demos they do.

Fallout 3 is going to be Oblivion with guns, I just hope they fix or don't use the world leveling thing from Oblivion
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Rage looks awesome.

I really liked the action from Mirror's Edge but I am not feeling that visual style at all. I'm also interested to see how the first-person game play feels with that kind of action; typically melee and jumping stuff in first-person doesn't work so well.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a heads up on the new dash board, it looks as though hitting the guide button will bring up a mini blade menu that is more akin to what you have now. You can apparently access this blade menu while in game as well.

So I guess you'll have the fluffy channel based dash with a quick blade menu at the press of the guide button. Reminded me a little of maya's hotbox.

-ps- That tech 5 looks great running
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Darksiders! I know I work for the company but I can't stress how excited I am of this game. It's a mix of Joe Mad style, Zelda and action Gameplay, and Post Apocalyptic settings. Sooooo fun!

- BoBo
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Darksiders! I know I work for the company but I can't stress how excited I am of this game. It's a mix of Joe Mad style, Zelda and action Gameplay, and Post Apocalyptic settings. Sooooo fun!

- BoBo

dude that looks hot!! I love these styles of games. Those big firehands guys are awesome!!

and rage is sexy, love the back-shell creature guy.

sick stuff guys.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Bobo: That looks freaking brilliant. I was feeling a bit down in the dumps about the poor
    crop of fantasy styles on show this year, now I'm the happiest I've been all year :)

Fantastic to see this kind of visual fidelity and love being poured into a fresh style of fantasy.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Amen to that. I cant wait to play Darksiders.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Was it just me...

Or was the Nintendo E3 section the biggest let down of any media show ever...? I mean, what the fuck did I just watch?

Somebody give me back my time...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Really lookin forward to the new Prince of Persia, RE5, Fallout 3, Darksiders, FF13 and Mirror's Edge. Resistance 2 and Gears 2 look like fun sequels too.

I agree with odium. The only wii coverage I see is for ports and casual games. No real gamer games looking awesome.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    odium wrote: »
    Was it just me...

Or was the Nintendo E3 section the biggest let down of any media show ever...? I mean, what the fuck did I just watch?

Somebody give me back my time...
    100% agree... watched the show while work and omg, never seens so much crap in 1 hour.

Year, you don't even have to press the right buttons or make good movements, just move like you want and you can play wii music! Doh!
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i almost shit myself laughing over the wii music crap
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Resident Evil 5 looks awesome, hope it's not based on 4 AT ALL.
    Some great advancements in technology on display here, fun fun fun.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Rage looks pretty incredible, but I have to say I hadn't looked at Darksiders much before and it looks awesome; one of the only next-gen games I'm actually looking forward to. Congrats on working on it, Bobo!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    new prince of persia looks cool. I like the art style they went with.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Slum wrote: »
    Oh man, fallout 3 looks awesome. Those of you who are saying the gameplay is slow and boring likely didnt play the previous fallout games.

You gotta be kidding - if you played the previous ones you can tell that Bethesda is taking a voracious dump on the entire series. Guess that's one man's opinion, though.

Rage looks cool.