Home General Discussion

E3 2008

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    GCMP wrote: »
    Resident Evil 5 looks awesome, hope it's not based on 4 AT ALL.

If you mean gameplay, well then you will be disappointed. It is very much in the same style of gameplay.

If you mean story, from my understanding it is going to be more a continuation of the story from Code Veronica, delving deeper into the origins of the T-Virus. Not about mindcontroled bug cultists.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    rawkstar wrote: »
    yeah rage was not prerendered, all ingame. we also don't have any kind of cinematic assets or anything like that all of this is in the engine and running realtime.

That's completely nuts dude.

I'm not even sure if more cowbell would make it better.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    odium wrote: »
    Was it just me...

Or was the Nintendo E3 section the biggest let down of any media show ever...? I mean, what the fuck did I just watch?

Somebody give me back my time...

...some might say you saw Nintendo: E3 2007...but what you actually saw was Nintendo: E3 2008.

Brian: Darksiders looks really nice!
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    aesir wrote: »
    new prince of persia looks cool. I like the art style they went with.

Out of everything so far, I'm looking forward to this the most.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Zephir62 wrote: »
    You gotta be kidding - if you played the previous ones you can tell that Bethesda is taking a voracious dump on the entire series. Guess that's one man's opinion, though.

fallout just had a really shitty presentation. They made the game look incredibly easy and thereby boring because they had all the weapons (ever heard of letting the gamer discover the cool shit instead of spoiling it beforehand and making it look as ordinary as a pistol.) and not only that but they had some cheats or something on where super gore was enabled. Why should this be in your first presentation of gameplay?? Laslty, they just had the player wander around and encounter enemies that had nothing to do with eachother that were just hanging around in the middle of nowhere, and were defeated basically by the presenter clicking a button and telling the character to shoot em in the head. They made it look so easy and boring... Who designed that presentation? Horrible. Im sure the game is better cause I cant imagine it sucking THAT bad.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    the sony presentation was good.. but i want some god of war 3 ingame footage!

and mac :D
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    The Avatars look like there gonna be fun to play with, how would someone go about making accessories for them?

Darksiders looks awesome!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    new game from the Flow guys looks infinitely cooler than any of this gears2/fallout3/yourmomsnextgensequel bullshittery

prepare to change your pants

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36158.html
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Where's the next game from Team Ico? Oh well. Maybe next year.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    That Id Tech 5 video is hotness....
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa Fl0wer looks awesome too
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i dunno ferg. Flow and that Cloud game both were more interesting than that...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rage is looking really, really nice.
    Left 4 Dead seems pretty awesome too.
    Interesting to see FF appearing on 360.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Rage looks much improved over last year's preview...and it was even fantastic looking back then.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    yah aesir, I'm not exactly sure the flower gameplay will beat their other titles, but it's still more interesting to me than most of the other games being discussed. It certainly is pretty...

Found another gameplay vid... still on the fence about it. What they've shown so far is pretty simple, I'd really like to see it with the same amount of depth that flow had. Fingers crossed.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36152.html
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rage... i hearts it!
    apparently its a franchise?
    i coulda sworn i heard mr. carmack [i think thats his name?] say 'rage franchise' when tlaking about the ea partnership...
    does that imply trilogy? =D

oh and btw,
    doom 4 on id tech 5 is what i REALLY can't wait for.. sorry but doom = too awesome. i care about it almost as much as i care about Gears of War 2 =D

final fantasy 13 was fun news. i got to throw it around to all my ps3 fanboy friends who were all 'ps3 is better cuz it has ff 13'

i hated the over-casualness of MS' conference. and i dont like the new interface _that_ much. its better than the old dashboard. but it could be better i feel

watchin the gamespot live feed right now.
    hopin for sommin awesome!
    [http://www.gamespot.com/video/live/777/]
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Ferg wrote: »
    yah aesir, I'm not exactly sure the flower gameplay will beat their other titles, but it's still more interesting to me than most of the other games being discussed. It certainly is pretty...

Found another gameplay vid... still on the fence about it. What they've shown so far is pretty simple, I'd really like to see it with the same amount of depth that flow had. Fingers crossed.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36152.html

wonder how they make the grass, looks great!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're trying to dissect his words a bit too much. By "rage franchise" he means the entire concept of the rage property and game. Nothing he said indicates a sequel.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know how I missed that one....that is very fresh! Thanks Aesir and Ferg

As for a Rage sequel, I'm quite certain I read an Id interview where a sequel was desired (if not implied).
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wow @ how bad the Sony and Nintendo conferences were.. color me extremely disappointed..

except Little Big Planet looks like fucking GOD. and Resistance 2 was very impressive as well, I really need to go and play through the first.. wasn't too big a fan of the demo though.

I haven't seen the Left 4 Dead stuff yet but I'm really looking forward to that. Oh man.

My #1 E308 news so far is BY FAR the RB2 setlist and announcements. RB>me
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Rage: Looks very consistant, very slick, though no gameplay and hopefully it's more then shooting. I'd give my best friends right arm to work on it(I need my arms to work)

Sony: At least they didn't headline with Killzone again, but really a in game sequence of GoW 3 would have saved it.

RE 5: slick.

I am Alive: Awesome premise, sick of pre rendered crap.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin at id's normally 'path'

i think they've got sequels for almost every fps they ever made?

so w00t for rage! i cant wait for rage 4!

on a more serious note
    if u've watched the gamespot live show, did anybody else think infamous was a bit too shitty a game to be broadcasted as 'omg its effin awesome and only the ps3 is good nuff for it' ?
    it seemed okay. fun for a few hours. then u kinda let it collect dust

my personal opinion about it

oh boy fallout 3 is bein shown...
    i hope THIS demo is nicer than the other ones [but i doubt it.]
    cheers
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    indian_boy wrote: »

so w00t for rage! i cant wait for rage 4!

not doing an "update" or "upgrade" to a successful product would be completely retarded, id or not, videogame industry or not.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18

Have you played all those sequels? If so, you'd know that they aren't really related. Quake 2 has nothing to do with Quake 1 and Quake 3 has nothing to do with either. Quake4 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were developed by other studios, so those don't really count either. IMO, the only property that id has developed into what really plays like a sequel is Doom, and we had to go a decade between releases there...
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah wait. i sense hate commin at me.

by sequel, i simply mean more 'parts' under the same name.
    i have indeed played em. and i know Q1 and Q2 and Q3 are of little to no relation etc etc

and vahl, yea i know.. i was complimenting id. i guess it didnt seem obvious enough, but i was actually tryna point out that seeing their history of successes, we can probably expect this to be another huge series of games.

apologies to anybody i offended or anything.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    What the hell. The Bungie announcement was canceled by the publisher. WTF...Seriously...
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    doom 4 on id tech 5 is what i REALLY can't wait for..

For me it is the next installment of Quake Arena hands down. I don't want Q4 multiplayer. I want arena! :poly127:
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    What the hell. The Bungie announcement was canceled by the publisher. WTF...Seriously...

FUCKIN' LAMESAUCE!

Way for the publisher to piss off the fan base that has made MS millions++.

I can't imagine how disappointed the Bungie team is right now. Sorry guys. :(
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    snemmy wrote: »
    FUCKIN' LAMESAUCE!

Way for the publisher to piss off the fan base that has made MS millions++.

I can't imagine how disappointed the Bungie team is right now. Sorry guys. :(

Yeah the bungie forums have been flipping out about it. I'm not even sure what's going on and I work there haha. Can't wait till they announce their next game though.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was not a good E3...why animal crossing?!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Proxzee wrote: »
    This was not a good E3...why animal crossing?!

$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    Keen wrote: »
    Yeah the bungie forums have been flipping out about it. I'm not even sure what's going on and I work there haha. Can't wait till they announce their next game though.

Its sucks, but im sure theres a good reason for it, it could even be a joke to mess with people :S
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sigh...no comment :(
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resistance 2 looked really bland. The interiors were god awful stuff.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    nacire wrote: »
    For me it is the next installment of Quake Arena hands down. I don't want Q4 multiplayer. I want arena! :poly127:

I wouldn't hold my breath for Q3A2, it would be awesome though.

Anyone else in the Quake Live Beta? That shit is totally kick ass.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    AstroZombie: i am! so much fun. I havent played in a while, but i need to!

Cool article just posted about Raven and what we showed at E3.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193932.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;10
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I think Dead Space takes my vote so far (besides a Raven title of coarse =P) . That game just looks awesome. Props to anyone working on that at Redwood EA, looks great.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    copy and pasted from a post on cgtalk.

"Fat Princess! (best name for a game ever)

This game just became my most anticipated PSN game. I can't stop laughing at the premise.

Frantic and fun, Fat Princess pits two hordes of players against each other in comic medieval battle royale. Your goal is to rescue your beloved princess from the enemy dungeon. There’s a catch though: your adversary has been stuffing her with food to fatten her up and it’s going to take most of your army working together to carry her back across the battlefield.

You can switch between five different character classes literally at the drop of a hat: the fearless Warrior, the steadfast Archer, the mystical Mage, the tireless Worker, and the deadly Priest. In order to triumph, players must combine their skills and work together. The name of the game is cooperation, whether it’s helping another player drag a log back to your castle, manning a battering ram to smash through the enemy’s front gate, or building a human pyramid to scramble over the walls.

• You can choose Classes: Warrior, Archer, Mage, Worker, Priest (you can customize looks)
    • You can gather Resources. You use it to Upgrade things like your Weapons and Fort.
    • 32 players Online. The game is also playable offline.
    • The Goal is to rescue back your princess from the opposing teams fort. Since the opponents has stuffed her so fat though you will need a lot of men to carry her back.
    • 10 Maps and additional game modes as well.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    "
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Cojax wrote: »
    I think Dead Space takes my vote so far (besides a Raven title of coarse =P) . That game just looks awesome. Props to anyone working on that at Redwood EA, looks great.

Right on Cojax! Dead Space is currently taking all of the cakes. Kudos Redwood! It's like a cross between Event Horizon and RE 4, and you can't go wrong with that kind of combination!

Dead Space Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36332.html

..and if you're still interested: Dead Space gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36342.html

I am such a fanboy over this game I had to come back and post this other trailer because it is also full of awesome!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36032.html

I should have compared this to the great and massively underrated System Shock games, as these games all share some common ground. Here's hoping.

OH yeah, and LEFT 4 Dead comes in at a very close second place for most anticipated game.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Looks like After losing ff13 exclusivity Sony decided to announce that no PS3s sold will have backwords compatibility with PS2 or PS1 games anymore:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194006.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6194006

Brilliant Sony, truly brilliant.
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fallout 3 looks awesome.
    Gears of War 2's Rendevous trailer just is plain cool.
    And of-course being a Fable fan, so Fable 2 looks great.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This just about sums it up for those who missed the press conferences. :thumbup:

20080716.jpg
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just can't wait 'till the release of Fable II and Gears of War II, but interested in how the gameplay of Fallout 3 is going to be though that's all i want.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaha gotta love penny arcade! There are no words to describe how disappointing that Nintendo conference was :(. Only thing looks good is pretty much The Conduit which wont be out till probably this time next year or later, which is good because it will only get that much better.

At least Microsoft's showing looks very strong, Gears and Fable look awesome. I'll have to wait to see more of Rage, the gfx look awesome, but gameplay, nothing was shown. Mirror's Edge just looks boring, I dont really "get it" I guess, maybe once it comes out I will see what all the fuss is about. And man, FF13 for the 360 is insane @_@.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I am really sick of this trend where companies will announce a game with what they think is a flashy and slick trailer, but then reveal nothing about gameplay, or nothing which would differentiate their stupid game from the 87 other dark first person shooters that were announced this E3. Like, OOH ITS A DARK GAME WHERE I SHOOT I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE WHERE CAN I BUY IT.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Christ, Rage looks gorgeous and Darksiders (I`d had my eye on for a while) looks exactly what I want to play!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey I wanted to post a link to the G4 interview on Halowars, along with posting the link to our site where there is the 5 long years video which is nice. We were suppossed to be in the opening Microsoft talk, but they said they need to make room for some heavy chick dancing, soooooo we didn't get in like promised. Awesome year this is going to be, the Gears 2 and Rage videos are making me drool.

Spark

G4 Interview:
    http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/videos/26921/Hands_On_Halo_Wars.html

5 long years video:
    www.halowars.com
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i've been hearing there was going to be a rts halo since the release of halo 2 but it looks sweet i like starcraft and warcraft so i want to see how this gameplay is going to differ and i wonder if the master chief is going to be like the ghost on starcraft he leads a platoon in a base but he can go in the base itself and destroy it from the inside out and is this going to be set in the past since the master chief we play in the halo game is supposed to be the last of his kind or are there other planets that earthlings don't know about that house other ones.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark wrote: »
    Hey I wanted to post a link to the G4 interview on Halowars, along with posting the link to our site where there is the 5 long years video which is nice. We were suppossed to be in the opening Microsoft talk, but they said they need to make room for some heavy chick dancing, soooooo we didn't get in like promised. Awesome year this is going to be, the Gears 2 and Rage videos are making me drool.

Spark

G4 Interview:
    http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/videos/26921/Hands_On_Halo_Wars.html

5 long years video:
    www.halowars.com

Looking great Spark, loved the 5 long years video. Thanks for the links!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire wrote: »

I have to agree. Even since the Quake1 days, I've never played Quake for the singleplayer game. That isn't to say that I don't appreciate single player fps games, however, there is something greater in multiplayer games, even if it is a story driven co-op experience.

I too am eagerly awaiting the next Arena that Id (hopefully) will release. When I heard about Doom 4, I kinda thought (meh, not another one). I just enjoyed Quake 3 Arena SO much that I wouldn't mind another version someday up the road. I know I'll be playing Quake Live as fervently as I play the boxed version of Q3A. There was just something about Q3A's design...that was solid, through and through...from the physics and feel...to the (official) map layouts and highly visible items and weapon variety, that just made the game a staple for competitive online play, imo.