Home General Discussion

E3 2008

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, the Nintendo conference was weak. Animal Crossing looks like the gamecube version. The Wii is more powerful than a gamecube, so is it wrong to ask for better graphics? it's not much to ask for is it?

Madworld is the only Wii game I am interested in at the moment. Everything else is on the 360. Sony really didn't announce anything new other than seemingly getting rid of backwards compatibility (dunno for certain about this).
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    At first my reaction to the Doom 4 announcement was... WHY?

Then in an interview, carmack said it would be idtech5 @ 30hz... Rage is 60hz and it looks stunning. He then stated that with the amount of extra fidelity they can put into the game, it would look as though doom4 was on a totally new engine in comparison with Rage.

I can't even get my head around how Doom 4 is supposed to look. That curiosity alone makes me eager to see the results.

At the last Quakecon, Carmack definately seemed eager at the possibility of an idtech5 Quake Arena... Let's hope id's new studio will focus on this after the completion of Quake Live :P

It was already confirmed that Rage isn't purely focused around shooting in dark corridors, the racing element is supposidly just as prominant.

Whilst RE5 looks incredible in places, I'm rather disappointed how closely it resembles RE4 so far... I was never a big fan of the swirly tentacle fuck-head virus.

FallOut 3 still has a lot of potential but it looks like the characters suffer as always with bethesda, it looks like a mixture of awkward modelling proportions and stiff animations.

GoW2, Dead Space, Prince of Persia and Rage are at the VERY TOP of my list.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    "GoW2, Dead Space, Prince of Persia and Rage are at the VERY TOP of my list."

couldn't have said it better myself
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    novakaine wrote: »
    yeah i've been hearing there was going to be a rts halo since the release of halo 2 but it looks sweet i like starcraft and warcraft so i want to see how this gameplay is going to differ and i wonder if the master chief is going to be like the ghost on starcraft he leads a platoon in a base but he can go in the base itself and destroy it from the inside out and is this going to be set in the past since the master chief we play in the halo game is supposed to be the last of his kind or are there other planets that earthlings don't know about that house other ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_wars#Plot
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Keg wrote: »
    Yea, the Nintendo conference was weak. Animal Crossing looks like the gamecube version. The Wii is more powerful than a gamecube, so is it wrong to ask for better graphics? it's not much to ask for is it?

I'm not bothered about the graphics. They'll do. I'm bothered that with the trailer and the feature list it is the DS game ported to the Wii and very little else.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not bothered about the graphics. They'll do. I'm bothered that with the trailer and the feature list it is the DS game ported to the Wii and very little else.

The "secret" second nintendo press conference starts in 1 1/2 hours, let's see what they announce..

wii fit 2 ;) (for the core gamers)
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »

this explains alot thanks for showing me the wiki link nice share lol everyone should read up on a decent book and this is that book.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Aside from the obvious ones (Gears 2, God of War 3, FF13, Rage, and RE5 etc),

A few I think that fell under the radar:
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - First one was AWESOME, 4-player co-op rules
    Dragon Age - Bioware Can't do wrong
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - I like these DS ones better than Symphony of the Night.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to like Dragon Age but judging from the trailer so far... It just looks like the same old LOTR clich
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Not to toot our collective horn, but did anyone catch the Mushroom Men E3 trailer? Not sure if we have anymore E3 material besides it, just curious.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    RE 5 online co-op! WOOOOOT! :D

'REVEAL Trailers' that are stupid-happy-go-lucky-kids doing stupid shit with not a lick of game footage and 100x less info than a magazine article from 2 months ago == stupid. (I'm looking at you Guitar Hero: World Tour)
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    best trailer of e3

duke nukem trilogy..in HD.

4 mins of concentrated awesome

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36747.html?type=

i wish every game trailer could be like this
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cheese-dick, just like Duke Nukem. Perfect trailer.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Selling my wii and buying an X360 from the money I got was the best choice I made last year ;)
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The art and technology of Resident-Evil 5 was looking great (pretty much the main reason I play games, art and tech :D ). Can't wait to see it first-hand. Judging from the button-prompts during gameplay, they're demoing the 360 version, which isn't surprising I guess. :)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    dawn of war II here, game to buy ^^

co-op games win, but one player are also good. There aren't too many good games in this E3. I'm pretty disappointed with some games.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    arshlevon wrote: »
    best trailer of e3

duke nukem trilogy..in HD.

4 mins of concentrated awesome

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36747.html?type=

i wish every game trailer could be like this

...It will probably end up being the next "Rick Roll." Thanks Apogee.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    The Dawn of War II Eldar intro is amazing. Looks like another of Blur Studios' cinematics, but I can't find any info on who did it.

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index/1687
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I wanted to like Dragon Age but judging from the trailer so far... It just looks like the same old LOTR clich
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    the game we have been working on in grin barcelona has been announced.
    I dont want to comment anything, here is the link:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/890/890578p1.html
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wow bionic commando looks really really fun to play: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36692.html
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    what the fuck happened to Nintendo, is their corporation being run by soccer moms?
  • CaptainCock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptainCock polycounter lvl 17
    The Dawn of War II Eldar intro is amazing. Looks like another of Blur Studios' cinematics, but I can't find any info on who did it.

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index/1687

no, this trailer was made by plastic wax and is imo not as awesome as the first one (still awesome, tho). The clouds at the end are most likely a hivefleet.

also here is the trailer in HD:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/129821843/169_dow2_om_pc_071408_m2_hd.wmv.html
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    what the fuck happened to Nintendo, is their corporation being run by soccer moms?

No, Nintendo has just realized what path is going to lead them to profitability and market dominance. The last ten people that I've seen walking out of stores with Nintendo products were predominately female, and over the age of 35. Nintendo is hitting customers who never even considered buying gaming hardware before, and they are going to keep doing everything they can to keep that trend going.

Now, that means that the Nintendo faithful are left shivering out in the cold. But then, the Nintendo faithful also tend to have gotten on board that particular bandwagon with the NES or SNES, so they also tend to be a bit older. And if they really need more traditional games, they can probably afford to pick up a 360 or PS3. Or even a DS. (which is getting a lot of good traditional games)

Its just that Nintendo is going to make a lot more money catering to soccer moms than they will catering to old-school Nintendo fans.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    That pretty much sums up the nintendo conference.

[ame]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=0XR7LaJLLf8&fmt=18[/ame]

Nintendo maybe sells a lot of wiis but they don't sell a lot of games, compared to their user base.. most soccer moms don't need more than wii sports..
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That pretty much sums up my view of the wii ever since it hit shelves. A shame for a console that had so much potential as a concept.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony's conferences were all bad. In my opinion the worst was in fact Sony's but that's not what it matters most to me.

What bothers me the most is the cloning of ideas and the complete lack of originality (be it gameplay mechanics or IPs). There were a few exceptions but still, I feel disappointed. With cloning I am talking about Miis, the itunes interface, buzz, eye toy, singstar and let's not forget the copying of wii's controllers. It's like m$ felt like they made the wrong console and are trying to correct it as fast as they can.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ wrote: »
    It's like m$ felt like they made the wrong console and are trying to correct it as fast as they can.

Well, if we're talking pure numbers here, Microsoft DID make the wrong console. The most recent NPD numbers put the Wii ahead of the 360 in North America for total lifetime sales. And that makes the Wii the best-selling home console worldwide, less than two years into its shelf-life. And this is despite the 360 having a full years head start on it. It's hard to ignore rampant success.

I do agree with you on the rampant idea fads in the industry. At the same time, this trend is hardly anything new. Leaping on new ideas like starving weasels has been the game industry's MO for as long as I can remember. I think the real problem is just that the game industry has gotten so much larger than it used to be. So now every new idea gets attacked by several hundred pretenders, rather than just ten to twenty. It's not any different, its just more obvious.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I do agree with you on the rampant idea fads in the industry. At the same time, this trend is hardly anything new. Leaping on new ideas like starving weasels has been the game industry's MO for as long as I can remember. I think the real problem is just that the game industry has gotten so much larger than it used to be. So now every new idea gets attacked by several hundred pretenders, rather than just ten to twenty. It's not any different, its just more obvious.

It's the same with any industry. Original ideas are usually few and far between. But when they do come boy do they stand out from the crowd.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Bionic Commando FTW

The boss fights look great - almost Shadow of the Colossus style gameplay - and I normally HATE boss fights.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After perusing a lot of what has been coming out of this E3, I have to say that from the perspective of an armchair observer, it has actually been really good. I know a lot of people have been really down on this years E3, so allow me to explain.

This E3 seems to be all about the games, there seems to be a crap-ton of them, and a lot of them actually seem really good. The considerably less public nature of the current convention seems to have taken a considerable amount of pressure off of the developers. They don't have to worry about a big presentation, they have considerably more control over how their product will be showcased, its overall just much more friendly toward the devs. And this has been reflected in a lot of positive impressions on the part of the media. A lot of the games just seem to be showing better than they did in years past.

The biggest dissapointments seem to revolve around the three major press conferences, and that is understandable. With the scaling down of the show floor, the big conferences are now one of the focal points of E3. On the other hand, EA seems to have really brought their A-game to their own press conference, and I've heard nothing but praise for their performance at the show. It was a bit surprising to see a major publisher pull off an upset over the three major console manufacturers. (who usually have the biggest press conferences) I for one was pleased. EA's reputation has been flagging over the past decade, but the recent competition from Activision really seems to have lit a fire under their asses. Their "partners" program seems to really be paying off now as well. Instead of gobbling up every developer they can afford, they are partnering with powerful independent studios. (like Valve and ID) This means that they won't have control over IPs, but it is a much cheaper way to insure a hike in the quality of their portfolio of published titles.