Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto IV Chat

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished the single player... and um... wow.

Fucking hats off to Rockstar for presenting such an incredible 'sandbox game' that gives the player such drastic and dramatic choices in which path they can choose. I can honestly say that, when I play the game through again, I'll be able to feel like I'm playing it through as a different game due to the choices I'll be making.

That being said, there definitely were a few things that felt like Rockstar missed out on. The Triad, the golf course, helicopter missions, the prison.. just a few things that could have been expanded on. It almost felt at times like there were whole portions of the game map that you weren't exploring and experiencing.

Looking forward to the DLC.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    too bad R* committed one the mortal sins of game design. if you're going to have the last mission (revenge) be a time chase with a dramatic jump that has to be hit at speed then you make sure the path leading to the jump is clear of annoying obstacles such as a jutting slope 50feet beforehand. especially if the chase is after a long firefight that you have to redo every time you miss the stupid jump.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Asherr.....HOW ABOUT PUTTING A SPOILER WARNING NEXT TIME!!!!!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    because it's not much of a spoiler to say the last mission includes a shoot out and chase like half the other missions in the game? it's a Grand Theft Auto game after all, that's how they end. it's not like i included the who/where/why or any other details of the mission.

besides it's been two weeks since the game was released now and this is the GTA4 Chat thread. i think it's been long enough and people should expect some spoilers to start showing up.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    because it's not much of a spoiler to say the last mission includes a shoot out and chase like half the other missions in the game? it's a Grand Theft Auto game after all, that's how they end. it's not like i included the who/where/why or any other details of the mission.

besides it's been two weeks since the game was released now and this is the GTA4 Chat thread. i think it's been long enough and people should expect some spoilers to start showing up.

Yeah but it's still proper etiquette to WARN us...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nah, in all honesty he didn't ruin anything other than telling us he sucks @ driving a dirtbike on the sand! mwuahaha

Wasn't a spoiler for much of anything, promise.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok then all is good.

*puts dagger away*
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    you spoilered it with your mention of sand, brome :(
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I've been a bit reluctant to start reading new posts on this thread due to spoilers. I've already had a few things spoiled for me just talking about it at work due to people doing missions in different order and assuming I've already done them.
    But I guess we can use the new super duper rad spoiler tags.

-caseyjones
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep that away from Uwe Boll.

(and who the hell is that, anyways?)

.... ooooh, just read the properties for it.... makes sense too, considering the character.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i was watching this movie yesterday on tv so wierd i kept thinking he was actually niko kinda creepy how much he resembles him, they even have the same style of clothing.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL I actually thought of that movie as soon as I went into the russian clothing shop and saw the track pants! HA HA
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    LO-fucking-L.. Did this at lunch today:

If you stop @ a red light w/ a bunch of cars around (we did it in time square), do the "Shave & a hair cut" with your horn and another car will do the "two bits". Haha, we about died of laughter...
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    shave and haircut? what's this you speak of dear fellow?

been getting sidetracked by mp mode, fallen behind on the plot missions heh- still not on the central island yet despite having the game since the day it came out lol
  • adam
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    shave and a hair cut, no legs

chunkey, it's the "dah dah-dah dah dah" pattern of honking etc that people do from time to time, you'll know it if you heard it... just say "shave an' a hair cut" to yourself, you'll get it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    no legs? TWO BITS.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha never heard of that expression before :)
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg 3 posts in a day? what the hell is going on?!
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    SPOILER

I hate the final(at least, I think it is) mission!!! REALLY REALLY REALLY bad game design! Especially the boat part is so frustrating, you have to be lucky to not get hit by those missiles since its impossible to dodge them, what the F is that about? Its SO annoying to have to pickup up jacob, chase those guys(wich isnt even challenging) for about 5 minutes, then having to shoot people for about 10 minutes, only to get blown up or miss the helicopter ride in those 5 seconds you get to get under it... AAAAARGH!!!!!

Also, I couldnt understand anything Jacob said the entire game, it was funny in the beginning but since he explains a lot of the things that are happening it would have been nice to have him speak a bit more understandable nearing the end of the game.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    No legs is valid. It's the sugeon barbers knock. Chunk - You've never seen Roger Rabbit? Pretty prominent in that.

Congrats by the way, I do believe I saw your name scrolling up the end credits, along with Ian and Matt, and a couple of other guys from R*L too.

Mild spoilers

I could go into a long discourse on my thoughs about the game, and maybe I will later. Finished it with both endings, both of which sucked. I get what the idea was, but both endings sucked on several levels - the choice is ultimately meaningless, you just get to choose how you want to get depressed.

Beyond that, the gameplay is flawed, sometimes broken, slow (even by *real standards), irritating, often requires fighting the controls as much as the enemy and so on. But for all that the game is very enjoyable and a major acheivement in ways to present plot and character in an open world. However, it's very rarely *fun, in much the same way that the Godfather or Schindlers list are both great movies, but neither are actually fun. That's GTAIV. They didn't actually go much more real, but they got grittier and took away most of the flat out fun of previous instalments.

Still a good game though.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I actually grasped the controls after an hour or two of combat. Not sure where the complaint comes from. If the lock-on-then-snap to the next enemy worked a bit more intuitively that would have been a bit better, I guess. But pressing the R-trigger to retarget isn't hard work.

I did the revenge ending and enjoyed it. I'm glad I didn't do the other ending, I enjoy that persons perk.

Some of the 'flat out fun' Harl speaks of, I can see. But that sort of stuff deterred from the story of previous games. Seeing Niko base jump would ruin his character, IMO. Know what I mean?

And if you want FUN. Like, REAL FUN... play multiplayer. That stuff is too much fun.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game kinda feels empty now that I've finished the story... I dunno, the 'realism' kinda takes away from the stupid fun you could have with the previous GTA's when done with the story.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Harl :D

I does next gen! :p

We need to catch up mate, not had a good natter in ages!
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    HarlequiN wrote: »
    Finished it with both endings, both of which sucked. I get what the idea was, but both endings sucked on several levels - the choice is ultimately meaningless, you just get to choose how you want to get depressed.

Beyond that, the gameplay is flawed, sometimes broken, slow (even by *real standards), irritating, often requires fighting the controls as much as the enemy and so on. But for all that the game is very enjoyable and a major acheivement in ways to present plot and character in an open world. However, it's very rarely *fun, in much the same way that the Godfather or Schindlers list are both great movies, but neither are actually fun. That's GTAIV. They didn't actually go much more real, but they got grittier and took away most of the flat out fun of previous instalments.

Still a good game though.

says the man in Champaign IL, home of volition, creators of the saint's row series! large grain of salt advised!

just taking the piss my friend, just taking the piss ;)
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, yeah, good point - and unfortunately I have to watch what I say, both about GTA and Saint's Row as it looks bad to dis the enemy or pump up your own product ;) Not that I am - I've played the hell out of both the original SR and all the GTA's, including this one.

I could say a lot more, but you have reminded me that I shouldn't - heh. Let's just say I eagerly await the GTA DLC, and the next instalment, but I'm also eagerly awaiting SR2 purely as a gamer - I think there's more than enough room in the world for both series.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    And on that note: What's SR2 offering as a crime related open-world game that GTA does not? (I'm not making any sort of point by asking this, just curious as I love sandbox games!)
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I wouldn't want to derail the GTA thread by talking about it's competition (yeah, like the GTA jugganaught has any real competition - but second place isn't bad given what's in first), but it doesn't matter anyway because other than a couple of small details (and a lot of behind the scenes technical stuff) I don't know much about SR2 beyond what I've read in the press - just like everyone else.
    I'm not working on it, and I've deliberately avoided the majority of spoilers regarding it. Like I said, my looking forward to it is as a gamer, rather than an employee. :)
    I guess it's two main distinguishing features are that it's far less serious in tone, so lots of crazy fun antics (although the plot is apparently pretty dark), and you can play the main game in co-op mode (It retains standard multiplayer modes as well).
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well.. looks like Rockstar can save a lot now on those reference collection trips...

Just need two more going to Miama and So Cal.

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/05/22/giant-steampunk-telescope-connects-london-and-new-york/
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Finally getting around to playing it (from our GBX library since I was not about to pay for this) ... why is everyone talking about how shit the vehicle controls are? Haven't they ALWAYS been shit? Personally, I see them as no better as worse than the previous iterations; Yea, the vehicle controls suck but when have they ever been "good?"

Personally I am just wondering how many hours of tutorial crap I have to play through before the actual game starts and then when does it actually get "fun."
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Has anyone taken a cab, and it turned out to be the cash cab? Quit stealing cars, and enjoy the transportation services in Liberty City, you nubs. -.-
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I can deal with the driving, I've gotten used to that over the past 3 games. . . But the combat is what drives me nuts. You get raped if you don't take cover, but taking cover barely works, and tryign to get out from behind cover takes forever, doesn't work, leaves me being shot by everyone, or all of the above.
    I had to play through the "Rescue Roman from Dimitri" mission like 10 times before I got it right!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Phone interview with the actor who played Niko Bellic

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/220382.html