Home General Discussion

Mirror's Edge gameplay teaser video

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52539

First video footage of DICE's parkour-em-up... thoughts?

I really like the environment style. Bright and clean, a nice break from the FPS norm.
The main character is cool too, although the enemy characters shown there are very generic and bland.

I'm still not sold on the movement... it seems a lot more jerky and stiff that I thought it would be, I was expecting really fluid motion, but it seems slightly below what I was expecting. Still very interesting and exciting though.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Here's what I posted on Shacknews:

While that was in-game footage, I want to know more about the actual gameplay. Is it like Assassins Creed where I can simply move my analog and hold a button down to do all these sweet moves while running, or does each interaction require a button press?

It's my understanding that momentum plays a huge part in how fluid the protagonist moves through the world, so that's great to hear, I'd just like to see or read more about how I, the player, actually plays the game. If its simply move forward + a button press once in a while I am not so sure how engaging the gameplay will actually be.

With that said, though, Assassins Creed was a lot of fun to just run and see Altair move but that was third person where I could see all of the character. With Mirror's Edges attention to personal awareness (re: seeing the characters body in first person) I am hoping I get the same enjoyment of watching a third person character move as I would this first person character.

Cool video, great music, show us more!
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was a little weary of the whole first-person parkour idea at first, but I have to say that it is turning out very nice. I actually got chills at the large ramped jump towards the end when time slowed down. Im hoping thats a gameplay element there and not just fancy editing. can anyone confirm this?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I've been keeping an eye on this for a while now. It's looking fantastic. I really like the art style and the immersive first person feeling.

I am quite interested in seeing how it plays though. It'll take some very interesting controls to make it really work I think.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah looks great. Movements are great, very fun. The people who had motion sickness while playing CS are going to have a good time with is haha
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Wow this looks fun!

My only complaint is if this is all played in first person I’d like to see my reflection in the windows of the buildings.

- BoBo
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    might make me sick after a while of playing, but very impresse looking style!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The level looks great. Love the clean style and lighting. I'm all about self abuse. Hell I'm seeing Speed Racer in Imax this weekend! But a La Parkour FPS? I dunno. I really wish this was in 3rd person.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While that trailer does look quite rad, I do wonder if in the final product, you'll be locked into specific paths so the parkour stuff will "line up" correctly. For some reason, this reminds me of that old funky first person game Breakdown for the Xbox back a few years ago...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, I can't believe that they'd have paths like that - it must be adaptive so you can do it on any surface, or else it'd be inconsistent. I heard that the bright colouring shown in the maps is procedural, so the colours will change depending on which route you take and how fast you're going. I think you can see that happening in the video when she slides down the rope.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i dont know why people want 3rd person. That would make this so much less cool.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    this looks ace, and the heavy breathing makes me think that she might be the first sexy female lead in a long time
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    This looks really fresh. Gameplay is still an unknown factor but the visuals definitely have piqued my interest. Using the player's point of view is a really interesting idea. Hope they can make it work.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looked pretty awesome to me, but yeah this kind of stuff in first person weirded me out at first, and I really want to understand what kind of gameplay will be going down..

seems like a first person action title with a lot of crazy acrobatics. But it's something new, and the environment lighting/rendering looks awesome as hell, I'm all for it.

Make it good, DICE.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    i dont know why people want 3rd person. That would make this so much less cool.

because a lot of the fun in something like parkour is seeing them move, seeing a camera turn and limbs flail in front of it isn't entertaining.

i'll pass on this.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I heard somewhere that the red colored elements are the ones you mostly interact with : jump pads, gas pipes aso. Maybe something to bear in mind when deciphering the gameplay.

Anyways, can't wait for this. Loved the Ico tribute-ish when she stands over the city. Goosebumps, yum!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Marine wrote: »
    because a lot of the fun in something like parkour is seeing them move, seeing a camera turn and limbs flail in front of it isn't entertaining.

i'll pass on this.

Wells thats cool for you I guess. You'd be just as happy watching a parkour video it sounds like. I actually wanna DO it. IMMERSION FOR TEH WIN!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    nice! something about the movement reminds me of Tony Hawk...only without the board and tricks. There's a certain 'snap' to the animations and progression. Looks fun though, that's for sure.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I had a chance to talk to a guy from DICE at a Bad Company press event and he explained a couple things about this game to me.

This game is sort of like the storyline of District B-13 (the French parkour movie) in which your character is fighting against her government.

He said that much of the moving around in the world will be based on timing and not constant button mashing.

Obviously in the trailer you can see that you will be able to use weapons, but he said that it is going to be in rare occasions that you will use them. You will have limited ammo so you you gotta make your shots count.

The stuff in red is supposed to show the player where do go, but it will not be your only way to reach the objective.

Good thing is that when EA bought DICE in their contract it stated that DICE had the rights to make one game that was completely out of EA's hands and Mirror's Edge is that game.

Anyways this game looks absolutely amazing.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    Wells thats cool for you I guess. You'd be just as happy watching a parkour video it sounds like. I actually wanna DO it. IMMERSION FOR TEH WIN!

I'm 100% with you on this. To me the first person perspective is one of the main draws to this game.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks amazing, but I get simulator sickness from games like HL2, Doom3, Gears of War, etc. I even got sick within the first 15 seconds of Assassin's Creed (because of the hazy vision). This would probably make me throw up my lungs.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    This looks sweet, the visuals look a little like light tracer/ray tracing, will have to see if the gameplay holds up.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    but it's not a real next-gen FPS shooter! i mean look at all that brightness and color saturation! i mean it looks like the designers sat in a well lit room and worked on monitors with proper brightness, contrast, and color settings.
  • hellobuddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please, do not get me started on the color calibration issues we are having with this... Its amazing how 20 calibrated monitors goes all random over night.

Glad you like it so far!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Such a nice artstyle. I hope this piece of concept art makes it into the game. Reflection of the protagonist in the windows is crucial imho.
    http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/photo-m.phtml?post_key=85508&photo_key=42547
  • Scott_W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks sweet, the visuals look a little like light tracer/ray tracing, will have to see if the gameplay holds up.

Since it's UE3, I would imagine the global illumination/ color bleed look is being accomplished by the BEAST illumination plugin available to UE3 licensees. It does look amazing! Beautiful work, guys.

Edit: Yeah, it's BEAST: http://www.illuminatelabs.com/gallery/mirror-s-edge
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this does nothing for me. completely unexcited. hopefully it proves me 'tarded
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the art direction, is it really UE3? I thought DICE had their own engine, frostbite.

Everything looks beautiful, a very clean architectural type vibe. Similar to how models often look nicer untextured with nice global illumination than they do fully textured, the clean textures show off the lighting. My only complaint is the eye tattoo on the main character looks pretty lame.

To see your character they would need real-time reflections on the windows, as a coder friend explained to me:

"From what I could tell it does have reflections, just one higher res generic reflection cubemap, as opposed to hundreds of 8x8x8 cubemaps that might look slightly more accurate because they show the surrounding buildings, and even if they did have hundreds of high res cubemaps, given that the game is fairly fast paced, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference."
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha typical coder answer :P
    *Still* needs the characte rreflection tho! You don't need hundrends of real cubemaps for that, I guess that a simple duplicate geometry mirror shader would do just fine, used for the character only and composited on top of a generic cubemap reflexion?

Anyways, looks gorgeous. Can't wait.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I guess that a simple duplicate geometry mirror shader would do just fine, used for the character only and composited on top of a generic cubemap reflexion?

Man, that would look so weird. If you looked too closely at the reflection it would look like she is floating out above a city or something haha

I think if the reflections were possible DICE would probably have done it by now.

Ahh listen to us, we're never happy!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    TheSplash wrote: »
    Man, that would look so weird. If you looked too closely at the reflection it would look like she is floating out above a city or something haha

I think if the reflections were possible DICE would probably have done it by now.

Ahh listen to us, we're never happy!

hahaha yeah. I in way I think it could be possible. perhaps it would require a certain set of geometry (lets say basic house) to block out some areas that would reflect aswell, so she is not floating in the air, still combine it with a cubemap.
    The point would be to see yourself jumping from building to building reflected in another building nearby or when you crawl up a glass building on a pipe (as seen in concept art), rather then having a full reflection throughout the entire city.

Since Dice claims its more based on momentum and speed you probalbly wont notice it too much.

hm, would be really nice....

Her eye tattoo is the logo for the game btw.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm excited, I love the idea and the free style play, but I'm not sold on the FPS hand/leg animations. The camera work seems pretty good but the hands, they need some lovin'. Why is it always the hands, you can do so much with them yet people don't. =/
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the first person leg/arm stuff looks really cool, pretty fluidly integrated.

cant wait to hear/see more about this game!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks really interesting, love the visuals the gameplay, cant wait !
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Sweet game, i love that unique style.
    This is my new desktop :)
    http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/mirrorsedge.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone knows the concept artist behind these shots?
    Looks like a great mix of realtime screengrabs and paintovers. YUM
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I will buy it for PC, and it looks like it would fit perfectly with the wii's control scheme.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, the tattoo under the eye is kinda 'meh'. Maybe it is just the shape...but I think it detracts from the sort of femininity that I would personally find attractive in a character, in which I was forced to play as a female. Perhaps it has something to do with the story line, I don't know. But I would think that a tattoo on the face of a female character would cause more people to not become as attached to the character as it would were the female's face clean.
    From an artistic standpoint...it sets her apart from the "good girls" and is unique in comparison to most female lead designs I've seen. But from a player's perspective...I'd personally be more comfortable with playing a girl with a more neutral face. I know it sounds silly...and is only one person's opinion...but I think that in the case of forcing men (the majority of the FPS audience) to play as a female, a neutral face is easier to embrace. Will it hurt the "fun" aspect of the game in any way? Not at all. So it's really a minor issue I suppose.

Aside from that...the game looks like it will be lots of fun. I would love a boss encounter that required chasing the guy down and pulling off some really tough maneuvers just to catch him. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a "jump and grab hold of a passing helicopter or train so you can make an escape to another building top or area of the map" somewhere in the plot. :) Looks cool.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    She has a bit of a Brom-ish look to her
    he's one of my favorite artists so that's good
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think it looks good, if a little claustrophobic when it comes to the camera.

We humans have a 60 degree inward / 100 degree outward field of view. It would have made for an accurate game indeed if they bumped up the FOV a bit, or used some clever technique to set them selves apart from the FPS crowd.

1. no reflection of player on mirrored building (they should sort that out, especially as the game has mirror in it's title)
    2. love the orange on white buildings ;) It's got a very Frank Quietly "shimura" look to it
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    this does nothing for me. completely unexcited. hopefully it proves me 'tarded

Don't worry, scrot. Now, there are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded." She's a pilot now.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I love the clean look to everything and the really soft lighting. The vibrant colours just really pop everything out. I'd be interested to see how this plays, but the art has definitely sold me. Great job to all the DICE guys.

-caseyjones
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    BREAKING NEWS: MIRROR'S EDGE REPEATS TEXTURES

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34019.html

The most in-depth report on pointless minutia you'll ever get.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    my god
    why/how do people have that much time?
    I dont know, maybe I'm just as bad for having watched it. It feels like the ultimate gamefaqs post in video form.

Edit:
    Tiramisu;
    ITALIAN DESERT
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    When you're paid to do it, you have the time. That was produced by GameTrailers AFAIK.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    holy shit birds
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol, most pointless video ever

HEY GUYS, HERE'S SOME PLAINLY OBVIOUS STUFF

they should find some footage of a busy street in any city and just put text overlays on saying stuff like "Man buying sandwich" or "car drives past" and then rewind and play it back in slow-motion so you can see that YES A CAR DROVE PAST!!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    adamBrome wrote: »
    When you're paid to do it, you have the time. That was produced by GameTrailers AFAIK.
    Speechless.
    holy shit birds
    Where? If only the video could sort of pause and some text could come up to announce them.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Trailer : 4 mins of nonsense...on a pretty awesome looking game
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I thought I was watching a recap of lost....sheesh. That must have wasted an entire day.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    fucking assholes, RAPOSA isnt fox in spanish ! in spanish is Zorra/Zorro , raposa is portuguese ! oh and yeah the video is rubbish etc etc.