Home General Discussion

Report problems with the new forums here

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ---Your birthday may be wrong.One of the drawbacks from migrating the database to vBulletin was that some information may not transition 100% correct. Please do the following to ensure your birthday is fine.

UserCP -> Edit Profile -> Date of Birth

It also wouldn't hurt to ensure all your profile stats are correct.

---Clean out your private messages. The new quota is 300 messages to MAKE SURE YOU ARE UNDER THAT otherwise no one can send you a message.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i liked avatars cause its how i normaly kept up with whos post i'm reading, instead of the name, i could skim the page to find avatars quicker than reading the names.

i like the alternating post collors of the last forums.

swithc the grey to blue

EDIT
    so one of my wants will be fixed.
    the second is imposible.
    how about changing the grey to polycount blue, and the dark grey behind the name to polycount green... give us a slice of our old home.

if you want lower the saturation 10% each month till you are back to boring grey.. but don't shock us like this!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure if it's this type of board that has the feature or not, but: if there is an option to turn on "View Posts Since Last Visit" that'd be handy. Especially in the upper right to get to without scrolling.

Much prefer this type of post editor :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Is ok. As others have said, it feels like any other forum site now. :(
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    whats the deal with default forum display settings? I can't seem to find a field for it in my user CP settings, and the forum default seems to be alphabetical, not chronological. Hm?

also, love the updates... changing and growing is the way of the future! Pew pew!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta agree with per about the logo, a logo contest would be really cool.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cmon guys look at the page marked as 'calendar'. I bet you all fell for the face on mars thing as well
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if it is April 1st, it doesn't mean this is a joke. They had to change a lot of database info to do this, which means the forums likely got upgraded anyways. This is likely not the "real" design, though. (my guess).
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Again, this is NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE. THIS IS LEGIT.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    new forum looks sexy.
    can you make large images effect only the width of the window they are posted in, rather than the entire thread column's width?

reading long posts after a wide image is quite hanus.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    My dominance war entry is gone? I found it. :)

I miss the avatars, can't wait to see them back.

Alex
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im with per, all the way, though... i dont wanna know where thats gonna take me...

simplicity made everything clear and saperated us from them. now we got gradients and lots of borders. sorry for those who worked hard on this, but i also liked the old version better. though the colors are pretty nice. i think i just need some time to adjust

the difference between read/ unread threads in unclear
    the borders scare me
    the logo...

+ points
    cool colors, though the last ones were fine too
    quickreply looks coolz
    really like the new post, and calender function

suggestions
    outlined to the left, gives us more space to post crap
    names of people in limegreen aswell? makes the name stand out a bit more
    able to give ourselfs a weird nicknames/ status, wur all seniorz
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    The default Display Options are not set well. At first I thought all the old threads were just gone. The default Display Options should probably be "The Last Month" and "Last Post" "Descending" by default.

I'm sure you're aware of this though.

PS. The new forums are nice. They look more pro.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg wrote: »
    whats the deal with default forum display settings? I can't seem to find a field for it in my user CP settings, and the forum default seems to be alphabetical, not chronological. Hm?

LOL! I just noticed this. So yeah, I'm having the same problem. And I also can't find an option to override the alphabetical default to chronological.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    This must be a VBulletin thing - in the UserCP you can set your MSN, ICQ, AIM etc. - but no Jabber. Googletalk is getting very popular these days, I wonder if there is a plugin that adds support for it?

Yes, I use Googletalk. Yes I have a transport to leet it talk to MSN. But I'm picky.

Edit:
    To answer my own question, yes it is possible. After some web searching I found that not only can you add Googletalk (and Xfire), but you can also add Xbox Live, Playstation Network and Wii codes to you profile. Obviously this isn't going to be a priority, but based on the type of forum and the exist threads, it may be worth looking into this.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I dont like them, the greens feel off and the greys aren't black enough.

Also no avatars? I don't who's talking because I can't read!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I can't seem to figure out how to get more than the default threads listed on my page. Every time I want to list more than 17 or whatever it starts sorting things by ancient dates..

So currently, using defaults I get 18 threads showing with NO other pages of threads in the P&P section. So I go to my user CP and change the options to display threads from the last 2 months. When I go back to the P&P section everything is out of order.

I just want the section to list the threads by pages so I can scroll back a bit and view a thread.

I'm confused :(

edit: I slightly figured it out, its the display options (3 boxes) at the bottom of the forum. But I can't get them to save. I have to sort them by "last posted" and "show 2 months" and "descending order" every time I jump forums.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    LOL, I just realised why this is all sooooo familiar. It's the same theme as Revision3 uses.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i feel really special now XD
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Ur Box Is Full Per I Cant Pm U Love Anymore
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Any suggestions that aren't knee-jerk "it's new and scares me. make it old again."??

You WILL get used to it. You WILL like it. You WILL want these forums back the next time they are upgraded. Same crap every time.

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY POLYCOUNT!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I Don't mind it too much. change is a good thing surely.
    One thing I miss is the old polycount logo and the avatars were cool.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ruz, avatars.. argh. Read the posts I've been makin' you nutter.

Revision3 is using the same template we are, nothing more. We'll slowly make this our own. Patience.

Now then! For those who're feeling claustrophobic I present to you POLYCOUNT WIDE!

Go to the bottom of the page here:
    omgwhofuckeduppolycountnoooo.jpg

Change it to polycount_wide, give me a pie.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the Wide theme Adam, that helps a lot.
    Also, for all the people who are complaining about the current colour theme, I am sure we will get back to something more individual soon.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wide theme is much better, i dont feel like i'm trying to use a website designed for granma's 800x600 monitor anymore.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    mop is cheating...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh hell yes, the wide theme is great. :) We could use a different color for links...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Per128 wrote: »
    b1ll, U sent me 544 messages you terrerist

snemmy: actually if you read most of the messages they're about how to change things for the better, unrelated to the old design.

Someone else suggested that this is how people reacted when the last design was set in place. Yeah, exactly, and that design got known as the ugliest of all the cg sites. We grew to love it, but despite the design, not because of it. It was home after all. The point with this new design is it's not even just generic, it now turns out it's a straight out of the box thing. For a site of cg-artists. Don't you see the irony of that? It's as if the chefs at the swankiest restaurants eating at McDonalds every day.

and bla and bla and bla. All that needs to be said is said already.
    but
    boobs

Good points man and I 100% agree. We'll make it our own, we promise.

However, we wanted to do something special for Polycount's 10th birthday and this is it. The timiing wasn't perfect so we got something 'out of the box' so that we can get a jump start all while perfecting it as we go.

We're a community - as you said, this is home - and what better way to make it great than to work on this with the feedback from everyone.

I'm spending some time on my lunch quickly mocking up some ideas people here have posted (thanks for those!) and will update again once it's ready.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    btw.. even if this is no april joke... can i just get my jumping banana? .. pleeeeaaseeee!!!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Without scanning through every post, I assume you know that the img tags for the old smileys in threads all don't work...

oh, and on the side, figured I'd mention this new layout makes my photos of the 'cuda look even cooler. :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried doing a search for "Unreal Tournament 3" and was greeted by this:

"The search term you specified (3) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific."

I could have sworn that was okay before?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Either of these tickle a fancy?
    pcount_font_green.jpg

pcount_font_orange.jpg

Rhino - I tried your idea of alternating blues & greens, it looked like balls so I didn't upload it. We went with dark grays so that images would stand out more (re: Per128's comment)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    AdamBrome wrote: »
    Now then! For those who're feeling claustrophobic I present to you POLYCOUNT WIDE!

NICE! Much better. I also like how now when we quote a thread we can actually see WHO we were quoting. Having to guess who was quoting who used to bug the shit out of me in the old version.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    First one with the grrrreen stuff. Tickles my fancy all right.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    no orange.. thats to hard..

maybe for visited links
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Vassago wrote: »
    Tried doing a search for "Unreal Tournament 3" and was greeted by this:

"The search term you specified (3) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific."

I could have sworn that was okay before?

Nice find Josh! Fixed to 1 word minimum.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18

I like the greenish one also...

Would be rather amusing to see the little thread notification icons on the left turned to various takes on the ol' Greentooth. :D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That's actually something I am going to try out tonight, James.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Adam, I think you're doing a great job so far. If possible, could you see how the forums run with General Settings> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type set to Database (automatic forum marking)? It can be a bit processor heavy, but it would mean it would be really easy to keep track of read/unread threads :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Will do tonight. My lunch is over..

Also - tonight I am going to work on changing the forum display so that the nicknames + horizontal information isn't the way it is, and is back to a vertical display like the old boards. MoP brought up a great point to be about legibility and ease of browsing and I think it's worth a shot.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Per128 wrote: »
    Yes I'm sick and off work today, so all I'm doing is posting here and cybering.
    Dude, don't tell me you are ca1ientegrrl83..
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Its growing on me...the new theme. Meh, I like my mental image of the character I was thinking of with this new theme better. Go new Polycount colors GO! Actually, all I think it needs now is greentooth sitting in the upper right hand corner in a style similar to the title. Once we get our avatars back also, the distinction between posts should be more evident...

...plus we need the old smileys back. Not this -> :p , seriously what is that?
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    AdamBrome - so can i haz avatars:)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ... if you were in front of me right now I'd punch you in the face.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Punch him in the ring.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    AdamBrome - you could try sunshine:)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Fight!

edit: what the.. this forum actually corrects you if you write an all caps response??
    how is bill gonna cope?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Firstly, mad props to Brome, Vito, r13 and kub (we all love you kub... ALL OF US) and anyone else involved in getting the new boards up and running. You've done a great job!
    It was a bit whack seeing the theme is pretty much an out of the box theme (from the link East posted earlier), but you pretty much explained why, Adam so that makes sense and I'm looking forward to seeing it pimped out and making it our own.
    I'm looking forward to all the new shit that's going in and top stuff on all the recent improvements (quick reply, wide mode, text colour). Keep it up, lads.

-caseyjones
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    So far I have no problems using most of the functions on the new board....so excellent work to the board staff... :3

And yeah poor b1ll.