Home General Discussion

Report problems with the new forums here

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
vbVito polycounter lvl 15
Hello and welcome to the new Polycount forums, in honor of Polycount's ten year anniversary. I'm sure r13 will talk more about this tomorrow, but please post any bug reports regarding the new forums in this thread.

Known issues:
  • Your user info, like birthdays and time zones, is probably munged. Please re-set that as appropriate.
  • No avatars. We're not sure if we're going to host avatars or hack the boards to support remote avatars yet.
  • Some UBB code is broken. I know about
    . If you find other tags that are broken please tell me so I can fix it.
  • All old URLs are broken. I know, this sucks, and it's the first thing on my list to fix. Old URLs will work again (or at least redirect to the new thread URLs) ASAP.

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    vbVito wrote: »
    All old URLs are broken. I know, this sucks, and it's the first thing on my list to fix. Old URLs will work again (or at least redirect to the new thread URLs) ASAP.

An important one to fix indeed, because all the links from the Dominance War site to the Polycount WIP threads are broken.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    lot of extra info spots in user cp> edit profile > additional information
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    how do I reply.

oh

how about white text? gray on gray is a bit hard to read...

my PM box is full, the new limit is only 200

(it's all very nice aside from the "new" logo being very gash. How about just the small smily face so my boss doesn't catch on?)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jie.. hard to read!!!

even if i like to have stiky post now better highlighted

but realy hard to read!!!!

i want the name on the left and not over the post
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    we have no april
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Can we default "Quick Reply" to reply to the last post of the thread? I know you can click the icons, but they're tiny.

Also I have to say the whole forums feel very "generic" now, as much as I hate to agree with Per, Polycount now just looks like any old CG forum, which IMHO is bad, we lose our uniqueness and retro feel. Is there a way to preserve the new forums' functionality with the old forums' style?

Also I agree with Rollin that the name on the left is much better than name above, since having the name above the post makes it take twice as long to scroll through a long thread. Is there a way to change all this stuff while preserving the new backend and editing/posting style?

Also the default of 10 replies to view per page seems a bit skimpy, maybe we should up the default?

And finally, bloody good job in doing this, it seems to be pretty much painless :)
    Many thanks!

PS. Can we get the old smileys back? :D
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    and i want a big yellow banana jumping on the left of the screen.. while holding up "polycount your MOM!!"

Banana.gif

otherwise the forum will suck forever
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Per, I loved the old design, it was really crisp... this here looks so generic "web2.0 mac aqua"... anyway more contrast in the text would be good (maybe use the same color as the "Online"/"text field"... also avatars should come back, makes it way quicker to recognize who posted what (as we know each other's quite long)...
    and the thread icons are really tough to separate...

other than the "visual" side of course thanks for putting in time to fix the stuff that isnt visible and putting in time to make the forums go.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I really don't care what these forums look like. They always looked like ass, but it's the people here and the atmosphere they (you) have created that sets PC apart. Still, the forums look nice, and vBulletin is my board of choice. Good job :)

But since I'll be spending a lot of time here I do have to echo some of the concerns.
    • Font colour versus background colour
      Just make the regular font colour white. The way it is now is really hard on the eyes. Might be a good idea then to change the colour of the a hrefs to some kind of greenish one.
    • QuickReply quirk
      Let's just leave the people using threaded mode behind, and change the settings for the quick reply window so we don't have to click an icon on a post to quick reply. Current setting just defeats the whole purpose of quick reply.
    Just some first impression. I'll whine more once I've encountered more annoyances :P
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry I prefer the old design too... Because It looks like to be like the oher community now...
    The old school design was reason I choosed Polycount first...
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Not digging the new look. Sorry to whoever put it together ( If its not an april fools joke )..
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    fuck this shit is rude. aint the same place
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    it will sound like an echo, but yeah, I'm with others to say that we're way too "old school" to change the design behind our back :] I hope we'll be able to have the old design, at least, as an alternate skin. Nice try anyway ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    why on earth get rid of icons?? man I could quickly find mine and others posts before, now everything looks the same :(
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    can we have the show all threads in a page back too!
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, interesting. Initial reaction was ooo this is nice, then the old "but it's not PC" kicks in :( Bonus is that the CP is a lot easier to use though. Add old design as a user theme?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Polycount have changed... to better?

Time to be customed to the new colors and forum heh. I liked a lot the simplicity of the old forums.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    still retains the problem with super wide threads when wide images are posted, which was an incredible flaw with the old template
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    vbVito wrote: »
    No avatars. We're not sure if we're going to host avatars or hack the boards to support remote avatars yet.
    Why not do both? There's no need to hack the forums to support avatars anyway. Just switch it on in the options.
    hawken wrote: »
    still retains the problem with super wide threads when wide images are posted, which was an incredible flaw with the old template
    It shouldn't be a problem as per default vBulletin only resizes the post table which has the offending large image in it, so it doesn't ruin the other posts' formatting. It could be the way this theme is designed.

This is how it's supposed to handle it:

forumwiderub0.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    can you turn off the star rating thing? They never seem to be a good idea
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    OK, everyone relax. :)

No, this is no April Fool's joke, these are the new boards. We changed out from UBB to vBulletin to impliment some changes we wanted to make around here. Yes, the new look is a bit of a shock (just like when we upgraded the last time :P )

We are still fixing things and bringing things over from the old boards and putting them back here. We know there are things we need to fix and things that need to be tweaked. However, we do need you to help us out. Obviously, we won't get every little change and tweak implimented, but we are going to do our best to get as many of the common bugs/tweaks worked out as we can.

If you are going to post in this thread, please try and post something useful. "These suck. I like the old ones" style posts, while ever so informative, are not helpful. If there is a certain problem you want to see fixed or a change you want put in, please post it in this thread. For example:

Bad: "This thread star rating system is stupid and so are these boards. Why did you bother with this?"

Good: "I am not a big fan of the thread rating system. Is there a way to turn it off or modify it?"

Just hang with us, gang. There are bigger and better things on the horizon and the forums are only the start. :) We appreciate you hanging around. Most of us that are working on the boards will be on IRC in #model_design on irc.freenode.net most of the day if you really want a question answered right away.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I welcome the upgrade. Hopefully once you guys are done, things will look/act a lot more like normal again. I agree with several of the comments, even if they weren't delivered nicely ;)
    -Avatars should return (easier to recognize the user)
    -Quick Reply shouldn't require the user the click a button on the original post/reply
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ok, I've been a bit negative so I'll mention that some of the new features are great :)
    the new threads button, the search seems to be good.. all the actual features are sweet.
    My gut feeling is that the new design though is too much new design and not enough redesign. Its not the same design modernised, its various shades of grey with polycount at the top. Could the colours and stuff be tweaked to match the old design? Or maybe we could have some custom controls to do that ourselves?
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    uhhh, i miss the old design :(
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I already miss the < Previous Thread | Next Thread > buttons at the top of a page. If i come across a fairly long post that i've seen before, i appreciate just being able to hit the Previous Thread button at the top of the page instead of scrolling all the way to the bottom.

*also what personality is there without avatars?
    *i'm looking forward to the large image/ long text fix.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you actually pulled it off. Congratulations on the nearly-painless migration!
    There will always be the grumblers.

I'd like to see custom skins. I think the only one to migrate from the last board is the black bkg w/ red and green headers and the white text on blue. Did anyone use any of the other skins?
    polycount_2007_theme.jpg

Another vote for custom avatars. External hosting would be a nice option for easy updates, not that I ever update mine, but others do.

Another vote for higher-contrast text. Not too much though. I personally don't like pure white text on dark gray, too bright.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Good job Guys I'm sure this was a big project. Funny timing as well.

Wouldn't be PC without the crits though.

1. Needs more GREEN =)

2. Green on black text like the post edit window is nice. Perhaps that would work better for viewing posts as well.

3. Missing the Avatar's here as well.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I'd like to see custom skins. I think the only one to migrate from the last board is the black bkg w/ red and green headers and the white text on blue. Did anyone use any of the other skins?
    polycount_2007_theme.jpg

Another vote for higher-contrast text. Not too much though. I personally don't like pure white text on dark gray, too bright.

Is it just me or is the new layout half as wide as the old one? personally I enjoyed the fact that the old boards didn't have a background. The threads went from one side of my screen to the other. Now there seems to be a lot of wasted space on the sides. Maybe theres some custom option I'm missing?

I'll get used to this layout, but I liked the low-tech old one on purpose.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    cool update, not really any complaints other than the text contrast deal, and everything seems a lot more spaced out.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't bothered reading the other posts in this thread. But this is a nice surprise! I'm totally diggin' the new forums! The best part about vbulletin is that if I want to search for something, it should be less of a headache now.

You better allow avatars (need my Casey Jones fix). I could care less if you host them. Everyone that posts here should be used to linking to places like imageshack or photobucket anyway.

Other than that... THANKS!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Better text colours now. Yay \o/

Hey, stop screwing around with the thread sorting.. :P

[EDIT] Oh, and now that you've changed the width to 1024, consider subtracting 60px or so to allow for the scroll bar. There's no point in adjusting it to that width if you're giving 1024xn users a horizontal scroll bar :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    My two main issues are the new PM limit, and the narrow theme. I really liked the ability to read the boards wide, and make use of the maximized window.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo Hoo new features YEA! I like the green/black type in the reply boxes, I vote that be the default text scheme. It feels more PC then grey on gay.
    The new look is very web 2.0 (do we have Brome to thank for that ha!) not quite candy mac though.
    Not that its bad, its just different.

Glad to hear you guys are working on custom avatars, its kind of hard right now to tell who's who.
    The width thing is kind of bugging me, it seems to be a set width and on a widscreen it just looks odd.

Fixxy fixy the links, as of right now it looks like we dropped off the face of the earth, all the DoM war links is busticated, bad... very bad. I hope it doesn't screw up any entries. Hopefully someone made Fred aware already?

We need the green smiles back =/

Nice stuff guys keep up the good work!
  • cody2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't login! I'll PM my info
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I feel it suffers from the same problems other gray boards suffer, besides the natural sleep inducing effects of gray, everything has the same gray, or very similar shades of it that make it hard to separate things.

-Can posts have different/alternate shades of gray ?
    -The bar with the poster's name be more differenciate ?... it's hard to focus on anything when everything looks the same. Need more contrast overall.
    -I like the green on black when writing a reply.
    -Avatars bring life, personality and color to an otherwise very anonymous looking forum, let people have them.
    -The message icons are all green with a little white something i can barely make out. While i'm sure this new forum will be cooler and better than the old one, the current look promotes homogeneity, not uniquenes or artistical creativity through crazy happy forum colors and icons.
    -One of the reasons i always liked the PC over CGwhatever forums was it's unique look.
    -You need more color accents to bring back some life... orange accents would go with the gray and blend in perfectly with my modo windows theme! ...alternatively more green may do... too.

You shouldn't be afraid of spicing up the looks of the forums a bit... be unique, creative and all that, there's no need to copy the style of the other forums.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to set the allowed file size on the upload to something really small so the only real option would be to go with the URL? I guess you could still get flooded with 1px images =/
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear!

I was curious if you were going to allow people to use custom titles? It's not a big deal, but I've enjoy reading what people put under their screennames. And for some (like myself) it'd be great to put my real name under my screenname as oppose to in my signature. Again, not a big deal, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Keep up the great work. I'm actually amazed that the transition to this forum has been so smooth.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I like the colors but feel very claustrophobic for some reason. I think it's the borders.
    I prefer the old layout too but can live with this. It just feels very generic at the moment.

- BoBo
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I like the new design and welcome the changes. Can't wait to see what else is in store for us.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I don't like the side borders much either, maybe if they had something in them: links, ads, etc. If they're not going to hold anything, I'd prefer the layout to start on the far left side and use the whole screen.

I like the color scheme, I think some red scattered throughout would be a nice thing, though. Something to break things up.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I prefer the old color/skin as well. Also, it looks as if trying to rapidly scroll up and down in certain areas causes the mouse icon to slow to a crawl, or disappear. I had also planned on possibly making a character in the polycount theme with the colors, and now have nothing to reference...anyone have a link to a full-size screenshot of the boards from recently?

I do like this forums features better though, I'm more used to these, and they're probably a lot easier to use than the old polycount ones (quoting, editing, code, etc).
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just did a quick look around for info on vbulletin and avatars. I keep getting the same info:

vBulletin doesn't allow external avatars. Even if you use the URL option to specify an avatar, it still copies the image to your server and serves it from there.

So that's why you don't get the option to turn them on independently, because using the URL will still upload them to the server. I'm sure there's probably a mod out there that adds the option of linking to external avatars without copying them to the server. I guess we'll just have to live without avatars for a while. OR we could just switch to phpBB.... yeah I don't see that happening just to have avatars.

Welp, if I can't be unique with an avatar you better allow those custom titles so I can still feel special :p
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A link to the chat info should be added to the quick links tab at the top. It would be swanky if it launched a web based chat program...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what about a random logo? could have a logo contest and each time you visit a random one is picked to show, like pouet.net.. Or get the oldschool logo back from the ancient front page so we have something homely eheh
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh, nicer default posts per page now too!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Some notes about changes AND answers to some requests:

---Quick reply is working. In fact, I wrote this using it. HOWEVER! It may cause issues with Hybrid threads and if it does I will just remove it completely.

---The total number of posts per thread page has gone from 10 to 25.

---To reiterate, AVATARS will return.

---I cannot alternate colours every post. I am already using the alternating colour option. If you notice, the block behind your user name is a bit darker than the block the text is in. That's how the alternating colours work, for now, with out some magic/code. I reckon once avatars come back online it'll be easier. I can increase the contrast in the 2 colours if needed.

---I'll probably do a secondary theme that is 100% forum width. Would you guys like that? The blue,burgundy, green, black theme won't be a part of that.

---PLEASE ENABLE ENHANCED EDITING. While I sort out how to make it the default, please go to your UserCP -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface -> Change to "Enhanced Interface". This will allow you to do fancy things to your font that will even work in the Quick Reply window. You can bold with ctrl-B, Underline with ctrl-U, and so on.

---I'll try and get the browser chat back in.

---But graphics will be worked on to have more contrast and easier-to-read font colours. I promise. Tonight most likely.

:::::

I'll post more fixes as I do them.

All I can ask for while myself & Vito iron things out is some patience. We understand that the new theme is a shocker to everyone, we expected it to be, but we also want to make this place our own. So don't expect some colour/style modifications peppered throughout the week as we try and spruce it up a bit. You're welcome to do paint-overs and illustrate to us what you'd like in the COLOUR theme. Just please try and be helpful. (e.g.: Posting a picture of the old forums isn't helpful =P) )
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Didn't see anything about image resizing? (forums have thumbnails though, yes?) Can this be done automatically as a lot of images posted to the forums are still rather large
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I personally prefer the old layout but I guess I can live with it for the time being anyways...its the batshit stuff going on that makes me come back for more.

And yeah I second the "Quick Reply".
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    not ugly enough