Home General Discussion

Duke Nukem Forever

Uly
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 15
DNF_Teaser_Shot.jpg

Uh... Wow.

Here's hoping tomorrow's trailer doesn't get delayed 5 years, switch engines, or get stuck in a time paradox.

Replies

• adam
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Haha Uly, beat me by 5 minutes.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=254817&page=0&vc=#Post254817

Link to Duke in high-res glory:
    http://mikecyb.shackspace.com/DNF_Teaser_Shot.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
    Blow it out your ass.
    Edit: Quote, Duke. In case nobody gets the reference.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Symmetrical veins? FFS, what have they been doing for the last 8 years!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    what the fuck is up with that belt?

is the buckle supposed to look so... wonky?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    thats a square head
    BUT OMFG< DUKE IS BACK!
  • Keg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    BEWARE YE MEN OF EARTH FOR THIS TRULY IS THE END OF DAYS
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    looks like a young bruce willis
    pretty awesome tho. no matter how bad the game is gonna turn out tho i'm most definetly gonna buy it.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum. "
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I think belt buckles and the like will have very little to do with how much you enjoy this game.

My only hope is that it's not any more 'serious' as a result of going next gen (if that's even a relevant concept these days). I'd like to see a savvy writer involve Duke in a story akin to 80s/90s action flicks. Poorly written dialogue, plot holes and all. Something like Hard Target, On Deadly Ground, etc. I'd really love that.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    haha nitz, i really hope so too.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I hope this isn't going to be one of those weak sauce "text flying+ music + half a second of actual footage" teaser trailers.

Btw I still want this version packaged in the game:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1064.html
  • TheFrog4u
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFrog4u polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    Symmetrical veins? FFS, what have they been doing for the last 8 years!

[/ QUOTE ]

apart from that cigar it´s completely symmetrical :/
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope this isn't going to be one of those weak sauce "text flying+ music + half a second of actual footage" teaser trailers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet it will be!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think belt buckles and the like will have very little to do with how much you enjoy this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

as of right now this is the only thing we can enjoy from this game in the past 10 years.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The funny thing is, just yesterday I was saying how 3D Realms announced the release of Duke Forever for mid next year to a dude at work, just to be a smart ass.
    Now this!
    I don't even think this will even be a proper teaser for the game. From the quote in Kotaku about how a few people stayed back a few nights to make a teaser to show at the Christmas party, it was probably just something random they made with Duke saying Merry Christmas or some shit.
    If this was a final in-game model, then I'm far from impressed given the amount of time they've had to develop this fucking game. Its Duke! You don't fuck up the main character with symmetrical textures in a next-gen game. Very little work went into the diffuse, it doesn't even looked rigged properly, gah! I'm so over this game.
    GO DIE IN A FIRE!
    /per

-caseyjones
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    oh boo fuckin hoo. bitchin about symertrical design and belt buckles. that image looks pretty sweet as hell to me.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Seconded.

Duke is gonna tear out your necks and shit down your whiney throats.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    And don't forget the things he'll do to your sister
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Btw I still want this version packaged in the game:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1064.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah, I'd love it if they packaged all the abandoned versions of the game. I've got a handful of trailers of DNF at home and each one looks like a totally different game with a 5 year development gap.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum. "

[/ QUOTE ]

HAIL TO THE KING, BABY. WHAT A MESS.

YOU MUST BE 18 OR OLDER TO RIDE!

THOSE ALIEN BASTARDS ARE GONNA PAY FOR SHOOTING UP MY RIDE.

NO ONE STEALS OUR CHICKS AND LIVES!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, CHRISTMAS?

YOUR FACE, YOUR ASS, WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

YOU'RE AN INSPIRATION FOR BIRTH CONTROL!.

DAMN, I'M LOOKIN GOOOOOD.

-Duke
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    DONT HAVE TIME TO PLAY WITH MYSELF
    LET GOD SORT EM OUT!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    no matter how bad the game is gonna turn out tho i'm most definetly gonna buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    THIS TRULY IS THE END OF DAYS

[/ QUOTE ]

10 years, and they're still cocky enough to release a teaser? wtf is this, StarWars?

I'm going to bet this is nothing more than a black screen, a few words, some cheesy catch phrases, and that image for no more than 2 seconds. Where are the hot women with perfectly symmetrical tits?

If it contains any gameplay footage (not a mocapped cut-scene or cinematic), I'll be impressed...maybe.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    oh boo fuckin hoo. bitchin about symertrical design and belt buckles. that image looks pretty sweet as hell to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Boo fucking hoo? You're not serious! I'm as big a Duke fan as the next guy, and would love to actually see this game done. But not like that! Come on, that's a pretty piss poor effort.
    If this was fan art, you'd be the first to tear this fucker to shreds, Rhinokey. Take off your fanboy goggles!

-caseyjones
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i've never played any duke games for more than 10 minutes. i'm about as far from fanboy as there is.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I doubt we'll see Duke enough to actually give a shit over the fact they optimized the UV's and have mirrored veins. It's not a big issue guys, yeesh. You play AS the character, remember.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Fan art doesn't have polygon & texture limitations. Fan art also doesn't have a camera inside your head or behind your shoulder so you couldn't even see that it was mirrored in the front. But, by all means nit-pick it to death. Maybe someone who made it will hear all this hub-bub and fix it.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a fanboy, Rhinokey. My apologies, mate.
    Technically is a nice looking model and the normals look nice and crisp and I can appreciate it for that. The arms have great detail and they've done a great job with them. But to me it honestly doesn't look like a final game model. More like a mock-up/tech demo model.
    Bah, I'll remove myself from this discussion, not saying anything of value anyway.

-caseyjones
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    am I the only one that thinks that they are just fucking with us? Just like the original article said, this was made by a couple of employees in their spare time. Its not like this was planned by the higher ups. I bet they arent making the game at all and that this is just a long running joke.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, fair play Casey. I think it's a good model overall, but the obvious symmetry is worth a mention. Sure it's a minor detail, but it's the Duke! Besides, symmetry is ass and this isn't exactly a DS spec model. Hell even on low spec models I personally avoid total symmetry like the plague. They've given him a cigar and shifted some bullets in his belts around, so at least there's some effort.

It would still be nice if they had the decency to bullshit us a bit like other developers. In-game asset symmetry that you'll never notice, fine. But for god sake, hit that bad-boy up with some Photoshop for the promo stuff! Lie to us! We've waited years for this!

Also, does anyone else think those sunnies look a bit off? Take a look at them in the high res shot.

[/bitchingforbitching'ssake] smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seconded.

Duke is gonna tear out your necks and shit down your whiney throats.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol winner
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I will look into it just for comic relief.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Duke Nukem and Doom are the reason I never did any work during Auto Mechanics class in high school.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    caseyjones: You forgot to rant about how some developers retardedly apply speculars to EVERYTHING, even cloth.

And you apologized to mojokey, that is weaksauce.
    Otherwise good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHA, Per <3
    I'll learn not to apologise so quickly next time. I guess I just didn't want to de-rail the thread with some bullshit whiney cheapshots from both sides.
    But fucking good job for bitching about the mesh too, as expected, a no bullshit, no sugar coated post from you. WERD!

Eagle: Yeah, you got my six! I did find the sunnies a little odd, though I couldn't pick what it was about them that was actually so odd.

aesir: I totally agree with you dude, as I stated in my earlier post. Its probably just some internal shit and nothing to do with the game (if they are even working on the game).

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think it looks nice. Glad someone actually got around to making the damn game.

I just hope the gore is not _too_ realistic with all this new fangled normal mapping stuff. That would ruin it for me. Duke Nuke'em was all about comedy gore
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

You never, ever mirror UVs on the front of even minor characters (except arms and legs).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I get your point? So they did good here with the mirrored textures on his arms?

[ QUOTE ]
    They didn't bake GI, every material has only one color and no/little variation...Bad, exaggerated normals (photoshop?),

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be the style of the entire game (high res textures, some photsourcing, but straight forward colours). The metal on the weights in the back has that same treatment as well. Too early to comment, really.

[ QUOTE ]
    too low poly

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agree 100%. Unless the new Duke is a first-person sandbox GTA-huge game.

Per, you remind me of those who speak to hear their own voice. poly108.gif On & on about something so rudimentary to the final product.

Luckily for 3DR the average gamer won't give a shit about mirrored UV's or flat ears. But, alas, we're a game art community so I guess we have to nit pick.

Ah and that radioactive sign on his belt, that's just sloppy work all around but I doubt it'll be seen by the player. Or, make it in to the final game for that matter. But for a teaser image you'd think they'd spend more time.

Oh, and I think his face/head looks an awful lot like Duke from Duke Nukem 3D. If yah Google search Duke Nukem his headshape is different in all of the different images practically.

I think the pic is cool, it's my new wallpaper.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    man, is it me? or are gamers/devs(used to be one) just really jaded? i mean we know nothing about ANYTHING in regards to this game. what if the game has so much content...that the dude has to be chopped down some geo-wise? what if this is a game model and the peeps are being honest about showing the game model? i understand little shit like the radioactive symbol...sure. but i could care less about some of the mirrored shit. if they honestly have been working on this game for this long...maybe they are sucking up every last pixel space to deliver an amazing game(could even be shooting for 360 specs...who knows???). dunno mang....been hittin' the beers...could be wrong. i say this: let's see if they give us a release date at the end of the teaser, wait a bit for interview and shit, and THEN decide. sheesh.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Guess again, freakshow. Duke's coming back to town, and the last thing that's gonna go through your mind before you die... is my size 13 boot!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    AdamBrome: Generally you can get away with mirroring arms and legs. --> OK, now I've rephrased it in a very clear manner that you should be able to understand.
    I already explicity pointed out in the original post that my comments had no relevance to the final product. I'm commenting on the 3d model and nothing else. Any assumption you make past that is entirely a product of your imagination.

[ QUOTE ]

Per, you remind me of those who speak to hear their own voice.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have no idea what that statement even means in this context, and I doubt you do either.

It seems I can't make a single minor post lately without some douchebag jumping in to microanalyze what I've said in some retarded fashion and attacking my personality. There's always someone who has to take what I've said totally out of context and make a bunch of backwards assumptions and complain and whine. Why are you guys so obsessed about me anyway? My girlfriend is starting to get jealous from all the attention I'm getting on these boards. Some of you guys should really inspect your motives. I've started collecting your obsessive remarks in a scrapbook, I'm sure I can make money off of it someday. Anyway, thanks, you make me feel like a superstar.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* For the sake of keeping this thread on-topic I erased what I original had written.

I won't explain my other replies to you, just let them fester.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I doubt we'll see Duke enough to actually give a shit over the fact they optimized the UV's and have mirrored veins. It's not a big issue guys, yeesh. You play AS the character, remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a massive issue and I refuse to buy a game with such flaws. And why does he have shades on in a dark room? Absolutely Shocking!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a massive issue and I refuse to buy a game with such flaws. And why does he have shades on in a dark room? Absolutely Shocking!

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude just had his eyes dilated, give him a break, sheesh. cool.gif
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    Per i think your an awesome artist and i respect you to that degree. But adam has got a point its seems lately you have been speaking just to hear your own voice, you remind me of my older brother pretends to be smart so he feels good about himself it works for him and it probably works for you too. Im not trying to take any personal shots but try to tone down the snobbyness if thats even a word? its alright to have an opinion just dont be so god damn opiniated!!! if you know what i mean. i do agree though that the model licks balls!nice arms though :P
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it's been so long, this game has tipped over into novelty-nostalgia, and now i simply cannot be bothered with it.

Give over, do something fresh and new, this is akin to just wanking off now. Since when was wallowing in (possibly incompetent) development hell a positive marketing angle?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    After waiting for a game that alot of people are or were excited about, it is easy to go a little overboard on what little screenshots we have seen of the game. I think that it now makes it so much harder to impress due to the time, but hopefully tommorrow we can have a better idea as to what the final Duke game will look like.
    Per: I think it's valid to say your opinion on art, even though I personally mirror depending on what asset I am working on, or if I feel asymetry isn't as important to attaining higher level of pixel quality. But going to the degree of this qoute from you is where I think people are having a problem.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Plus the worst thing ever, so bad, whenever I see it I wish for a very special place in hell for the artist responsible... so mind-numbingly terrible that any self-respecting artist who commits such a heinous crime should just apologize on behalf of his family and then end himself, preferably in some slow and painful manner.. So noobish it's beyond belief, so neglectful I'm personally going to hunt the guy down and make him pay. Yes, I'm talking about ears that are mapped on entirely flat geometry. One of the absolute biggest sins of character modeling. Ever. Oooor it could be just the angle (nah).

[/ QUOTE ]
    Spark
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    this reminds me of when they released the first sht of killzone 2 it looked horrible but the ingame footage was breathtaking!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I will believe there is still a game being made when I see an actual, playable demo or beta. Not a moment sooner.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    although they can still decide to revamp the game after they release or show a playable demo, you never know.

oh yeah and that reminds me my first map ever was with duke 3d...that's a pretty long time ago...
  • ElysiumGX
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    leaked footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBkaPOrEQA

[/ QUOTE ]
    Elysium,you do know that that video is fake,right?
    Anyway,it's good to see new media of DNF.Hopefully we'll see some weapons/enemies/enviroments in the teaser,or that they show that in a trailer soon.