Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A LucasArt's classic, and an all time favourite...

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Everything looks really awesome, but the texel density on some stuff (or maybe just the blurriness of the texture) seems a little off.

I dunno, looks great!
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys!

SupRore, for sure the texel density is off. I purposely made them lower for the ground and french-roll cliffs in the background to draw the eye more towards the center. Perhaps it turned out to be more of an eye-sore than anything - but I really liked the final outcome.

Again, thanks!
  • Jay Evans
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    looking ace man. I love how you composed the shot. I still want to see the bike though:P
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome man laugh.gif LOVE Full Throttle. Definately getting some FT vibes when I look at this, so, success!
  • bounchfx
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Here's a few things that ran through my mind while looking at this.

It's been a looooong time since playing this game so the only ref I went by was the ones you posted from moby games. Anyways, you seemed to have lost a lot of the coolness that the trailer had in the original art, it's proportions were more cartoony and stocky.

The rocks in the background stand out because they look very blobby and unlike anything I've really seen. Was there a specific rock type you were going for? It seems like a lot of the environments in the contained rocks with large flat angles as opposed to the tall round shapes.

Last the final render has a very bright saturated blue sky but none of that is reflected in your lighting. The shadows are very dark and black. It would help tie your sky to the ground if there was some color to help soften these shadows.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    No, no rock type. Just something quick and easy. Lots of people have mentioned them so I may redo them over the weekend. Along with the ground and the sandbags.

And possibly the sky, although I like it.

Quick and easy fixes!

Thanks for the comments smile.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Brome! That is looking ACE! Very Hot.
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    I think you should move the sandbags-- or at least move Ben's bike so it is more visible in the scene. Right now, as cool as the scene looks (and it does look cool), you can't really tell that it's a Full Throttle Sequel, aside from the Corley Motor's logo. Hint more at the bike and it's unique shape and this scene will scream Full Throttle.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Need to play the game to understand the scene...look very good though.

Maybe some rocks scattered around would be nice....
  • vertexguy
    Overall I love it...especially because its Full Throttle. If you still want a crit, I'd say the weakest part of this composition is the environment. The round rocks in the background look very strange with the clean color changes and grit thrown on top. Also the ground texture itself is much too low res for this low camera angle and should have some bump / normal mapping applied. Another subtle but important detail missing is where everything meets the ground. There should be some small geometry / texture work to break up the straight lines. The weeds don't appear to be casting shadows and I can see a highlight halo on the left weed. I assume these are alpha textures? If so, outside of using raytraced shadows, you could use a texture to fake shadow casting on them.

Hope to see you do another Full Throttle piece in the future!
  • Soccerman18
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    As others have mentioned, I think the large rocks in the background look odd and the ground needs a higher res texture.

What's causing the shadow on the front of the trailor across the door? The lighting there looks inconsistent. There's a random shadow with nothing to show where it came from, and there's random bright spots even though from the sky it looks like the sun is behind the trailor. But then according to other shadows it looks like the light is coming from in front of the trailor and off to the right.

Looks excellent though, good job on the trailor. Kind of a sucker for the depth of field too.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The shadow casting from the rolled striped tarp is giving the shadow on the door. The rocks and the sky weren't done realistically to compliment the rest of the scene, which apparently failed horribly wink.gif

All consistent suggestions are being addressed right now: Rocks, ground, sandbags, sky

Thanks again guys, I'll post later tonight when I'm done.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I still didn't want to go with completely realistic rock cliffs, but I tried to keep the natural this time and stayed away from FrenchRoll Mountains™!

The ground was updated, the problem with the sand bags was fixed, and I changed where the sun lay in the sky itself.

One thing I am having trouble with, is the halo's on the weed's. The background colour of the image is identical to the green used in the texture. If I can figure out why I'll update the images here and remove this paragraph. But until then, if anyone has any ideas....

Beauty:
    fullthrottle_1.jpg

Wires:
    fullthrottle_2.jpg

+100 to Filter Power, Photoshop Hero:
    fullthrottle_1_flare.jpg
    Is it weird I actually like it with the flare? I didn't keep it in the final one because this type of flare would never happen from reflected light in a video game. Unless some game out there has that in its tech???
    (And I didn't want to have to read post-after-post about being a cheeseball for having a len's flare in a render =P, hehe.)
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I think the flare could work if you just tuned it down some, looking at that thing is worse than looking straight at the sun :P
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    dude sick. i think it could use some more depth though. it's a little difficult to read some of those shapes because all the values are blending together. i think it might help to separate some of the shapes from each other.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Stunning work, Adam.

-caseyjones
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great work on the textures. I can so imagine this in the crysis sandbox editor smile.gif
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i rather liked the old mountains.

new sun position is much better - makes the peeling on the trailer much more apparent, whereas before I thought it was a graphical error at first.

what's that painted on the rock right by the camera?