Home Technical Talk

Yes! another job phone interview thread!

Maddness
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Maddness polycounter lvl 11
Rock! I got a phone interview this week for the job that I did the ice cream truck for. it was surprising, considering they told me less than a week ago that it'd take several weeks to get back to me.

So they said it'd be an hour, so what should i expect? I plan on just acting normal and being myself, you know the usual. but should I be ready for weird questions and stuff?

man the excitement and nervousness is crazy! Here's hoping!

- Mike

Replies

• Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops. i didn't know where i should post it.

and haha. funny! laugh.gif
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Phone interviews are seldom the same. Sometimes they are conference calls with key members of the team all present bombarding you with questions. They're always frustrating. Not because of the people or the situation, but because you cant always hear everyone good. Dont be afraid to tell them if you cant hear them. Some people giving the interview dont realize they are talking too low to hear them. When it is a conference call be prepared to hear a range of questions. Because all of the people present are usually of different disciplines, they are all asking questions that are important to them and their work. They upside to these calls is that you can usually get a good sense of the teams overall dynamic. Whether they are a easy going group that isnt all politically correct. Like they might let a few cuss words slip to let you know you dont have to be so nervous and polite. Or maybe you'll get the vibe that they are very business oriented and not likely to clown around. You can also get a feel for how old the team is.

On they other hand some times phone interviews are with one guy, sometimes the hiring manager, sometimes a lead artist, and sometimes the art director. These calls you can tell when things are going really well or not. You'll get alot more direct questions all coming from one point of view. You might get a few of those tough questions like tell me what you weaknesses are, but I seldom have been faced with those kind. Usually it is more about finding out what kind of work place your are interested in. Oh and it is likely that you will be presented with the toughest question of all on those one on one interviews, the salary question.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that an interview is not only for the employer to find out about you, but also about you finding out about them! Interviewers LOVE when you ask intelligent questions about the company and the position. A lot of times there isnt a clear cut position that your are interviewing for either so take this time to try an create a job description for the kind of position YOU are best for and tell them why you are the perfect fit. If you got the phone interview there is definite interest in your skills so congrats! You are very close now, just maintain there interest by not coming off like a douche bag or a know it all and you'll be on your way to an onsite interview. If you land that you basically landed the job! It would be on you to blow it at that point.

Good luck man.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome advice sliva! I know who i'll be talking to, more or less. it's actually with the Environment Art Lead at the company. so I guess the one on one type stuff will be more apparent. i just don't want to seem like an idiot when i get the call. you know how those random times of moment happen.

i call them Bud Light Real Men of Genius Moments!. REEEAL MEN OF GEEENIUUUUUSS!!

But the salary question. That's a good one. I really have no idea what to ask for. Obviously, this would be my first experience job. I know that they are located in Colorado, but on their website one of their big expressive points is how they pay "California based wages" so I don't really know how that differs from the Colorado cost of living.

what does someone in California usually make annually for an environment artist position?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    CA is probably about twice as expensive as Colorado. So... whatever you make in CO, about double it to maintain your standard of living. Or you can take a pay cut for a job you like more.

Most the phone interviews I had was alot of listening. What they're doing, what they expect you to do. Just answer whatever questions you get to the best of your knowledge. Ask them some questions as well if they haven't already answered them earlier (reason to listen carefully).

Since you already did the art test, you are probably pretty familiar with the project they're working on. Research some of the company's history is often fun. If you find out some names you can run them through Mobygames (its like IMDB for video game developers) and see what past projects they've worked on. Sometimes that helps to earn brownie points if you've played their earlier games.

Good luck on the interview.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva is spot on. Interviews are like first dates, you what them to do most of the talking. Anytime you can flip the interview around so they are answering your questions and talking more than you, you're going to come off looking smarter.

He who runs off at the mouth at high speeds with no real aim, fails...

You can't see the place so don't be afraid to ask questions about the working environment, ask them about the surrounding area, what is there to do outside of work? That last one could segue into other non work related talk which could lead to you passing the personality portion of the interview.

I think the important thing to remember is that they think you can do the job based on what you sent in, and now they want to see what makes you tick. So don't unleash all of your personality disorders on them all at once. Give it a few months after your working there before you let it slip that you have a habit of shitting in abandoned coffee cups.

Remember they think you're the noob they'll have to polish up, true or not you are the "new guy". They have no idea you're a Rock Star waiting in the wings, ready to take their company to new heights. Try to break that news to them as gently as possible to avoid looking like a cocky dick face. I'm not saying you have a problem talking to people, or that you come off as a dick, but I've seen a few people crash and burn when they have way more confidence then their talent affords. In other words don't be the guy that writes checks his talent can't cash, heh =P

Good luck, you'll do fine if the guy that shows up here on Polycount walks into that interview. If you're acting here think about making that your default personality heh jk =P
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow double? man salary questions are tough. you don't wanna ask for too much, but you want to make good money too.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    If you already have a job you can go along with their steps of interviews and just let them bring it up, probably near the end of the whole thing. If they mention a number then you can see if its what you want. If they ask what your expectations are just answer honestly. If they only want to pay you 32k to live in or around San Francisco then it maybe a warning sign to stay away and look else where.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask for more than what you expect to make, that way you can negotiate down to what you actually want and expected to get, instead of low-balling yourself.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh Hito. The job is in Colorado. sorry for the confusion. they just say they pay California wages. so it's a colorado job with california salary.

Also, I am a funny guy, not stupid funny, but i love to laugh so I always try to find comedy in things. I like having a good time and stuff. So i like being casual in my conversations. I guess I just worry that the person i'm talking to is going to be the most business guy ever. I plan on asking about the company, the work environment, the mood, how they do their crunches, if there are any good sushi or greek places in town to eat at, what they usually do for lunch, if they have a good bowling alley.

stuff like that. I've done a lot of research on the company, so I already know the press release stuff. I hope that's what they are after also.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    so how did it go?

-Buddikaman-
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's thursday at 4pm Eastern. I'll update the news after that.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    We await your update ^_^
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Man now I'm nervous!
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually. i'm not really nervous. is that weird? I'm way more excited than anything.

also, does anyone work in Colorado? what is a good starting salary for that area?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Maddness I always get really excited when I'm about to talk to a team on the phone, it might be weird but it's more common than you think, especially if I like the game the studio made. Good luck. I guess it happens because there is a chance I will get to learn something new.

Alex
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    At least you didn't get just the hiring manager sometimes they could ask technical questions that have nothing to do with games which I got once instead of soft skills.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow pilang, that sucks. I do worry a little that they'll ask me some crazy:

if a train is leaving dallas at 40mph and another train is leaving philli at 64mph,and they both stop 3 times and then are heading towards each other and are meeting in paris, how many polys is the tree on the side of the mountain?

type stuff.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    lol I wouldn't be able to stop laughing long enough to actually answer anything else if they asked me something like that.

Colorado is a nice place, I've been there a lot in the past. I wouldn't worry about asking salary actually, just look at the quality of your work and the kind of rent you'll be expected to pay. So look for some apartments or whatever on the net for colorado places. A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't pay more than 1/3 of your income for rent.

A starting salary for a game artist is, I've heard from various sources, around 30-50k, depending on your skill and the place. But once you research housing you can eliminate that variable and just take into account your experience/skill. For colorado I would expect something close to 35-40. It's not too expensive but there are some expensive areas.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    if a train is leaving dallas at 40mph and another train is leaving philli at 64mph,and they both stop 3 times and then are heading towards each other and are meeting in paris, how many polys is the tree on the side of the mountain?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my god if i ever get the chance to interview someone i am going to ask them that. lol oh my... it would be even better during a face to face. Ok Tim you got the job all you have to do is answer this one last question... Oh man..
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yea Jesse, I'd be sweating it up at about that point.

Also, Cold, i've researched the hell out of Colorado, and actually it's the state I've always wanted to live in, since my dad used to take us when i was little on his business trips to Denver.

It's about the same if not a little more than the cost of living here (orlando). So maybe I should base my bills here as the same thing as i'd be paying there, more or less.

hopefully they throw a number at me that we're both agreeable on, if that happens, and i don't end up having to come up with my own number.

oh a perfect world. Regardless, All i care about really is getting the job. This would be a dream come true for me.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd answer

"how many pixels is the mountain goat occupying on screen at the time when you want me to tell you how many polys are in the tree?"
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Don't bring up salary - wait for them to do it. If you bring it up first you'll look like you're getting ahead of yourself. Before they bring it into the conversation they're still trying to decide if you're right for the job. Once they do, that means they have decided you're 'their guy' and at that point you are in a good position.

Have an idea of what you want in your head before the interview. When you do get an offer, don't accept it right away. Let them know that you are very interested, and ask for an opportunity to think things through for a day or two - any reputable company will allow for that.

If you think their offer is too low, and you want to negotiate for more, try to start and end with positives and address salary in the middle. Thank them for their interest in your work, then bring up the salary but make sure to reiterate to them that you can be a valuable team member, the skills that you bring to the table, and that you are excited about the position.

In an interview, you have to be your own salesman. However, make sure you come across as confident, not cocky.

Hope that helps! Good luck
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that does help! thanks forever
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easily ask for 200k... You can do it. And make sure you let us know how that goes ok.

haha yeah just wait for them to toss numbers around. Bring up any thing good you could possibly bring to the company, job, etc.

Sell yourself like the cheap whore you are. (Not that you really are a whore but well you know.) Convince them you are the answers to their prayers and the end to their childrens nightmares.

Good luck.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Convince them you are the answers to their prayers and the end to their childrens nightmares.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they're a bunch of Satanists working on the next big survival horror game? That would certainly suck then...
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha that's awesome! Really I was a little worried they might ask me some trick questions, but after reading all this and thinking about it. i have my gameplan down. I have my work related questions to ask, such as:

what's the environment like at work?
    how does the group handle crunches?
    what kind of seating is there? (crucial to know, since i have so many freaking figures for my desk. haha)

also questions about recreation:

any good movie theaters around?
    sushi or greek restaraunts? (my wife and my favorites)
    do they do any cool company outings..

stuff like that.

I just want them to know that I love having fun, but also love the job. in fact i don't know why i'd go home if i wasn't married. the thought of working on a game that will be played by people just makes me anime eyed.

man it's all so exciting. I hope i do well.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm married and hoping i don't have to go home wink.gif BRING ON THE CRUNCH.... Hell I'll volunteer to take another guys spot. haha

Oh man my wife is going to kick me in the balls
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'm married and hoping i don't have to go home wink.gif BRING ON THE CRUNCH.... Hell I'll volunteer to take another guys spot. haha

Oh man my wife is going to kick me in the balls

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahah
    you made me laugh
    lol
    wink.gif
    nice
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man. i can't sleep. i must seem like the weirdest guy. but man the anticipation is amazing. i hope it all works out.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I had the phone interview. It was definitely a new experience for me. The Environment Art Lead was very nice. He was a very easy going person and I enjoyed the conversation.

He asked me several questions (yes, even the strengths/weaknesses one) and I just answered them like I were me.

His concern was that I only had a few pieces of environments on my site, 5 or so. So I had to send him some extra stuff of things i'd been working on. Though It wasn't too many things, since I work all the time as well. But I'm sure they understand that.

They also read about my progress on the ice cream truck on here, (polycount) and that it was a good thing, because they saw how i worked and stuff. so I think that's good.

Other than that I asked him about the area and the environment, and he said that the questions weren't the norm, because he usually got benefits questions and stuff like that.

Hopefully they saw me for the fun and dedicated guy I want to show them I can be. Here's hoping I get a call back for an onsite.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I hope I didn't let you guys down.

I'm just worried the extra stuff i sent in won't be enough. but I don't want to discourage myself. Hopefully that's more of a reassurance thing for them, since they already sent me an art test and i must've done well on it. I hope so anyway.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Best of luck man. I remember waiting for them to get back to me after the interview and it was pure firey torture.

So hang in there!
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man. yea it's nerve racking. you hope that you did well enough to warrant a visit.

man i hope so.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like it went well, fingers crossed here for ya smile.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks lee, i hope it went well also. and haha isn't that guy from imaginary friends?
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man this is insane. i'm working on this other art test that I had sent to me last week, and the thought of not knowing is destructive.

my concentration is so crappy. Man it would be awesome to hear some good news today, but i fear it will be a LONG weekend.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    yeah waiting is the worse part. just hang in there and focus on more immediate things.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    whats the good word little buddy?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    The hardest part is waiting around to hear back. Try not to think about it too much, or jump through the roof every time the phone rings smile.gif

Easier said than done, I know - but at least you have another test to shift your focus to smile.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nothing yesterday. But i don't know how long it takes them to do whatever it is they do. he said they were flying a few different people in, so i don't know if that takes time also.

here's hoping today is the day. I would be really disappointed if i found out that my lack of a big portfolio killed me after i'd already done an art test :/ but that's just me being overly pessimistic.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Do what I did... just convince yourself you didn't get the job, then move on. If you hear back from them, then it's just good news, no surprises. If you dont get the job, then it's no sweat.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. That'd work if everything about the opportunity wasn't perfect. here's hoping it's in the cards!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Or, as we usually do here in Sweden, hold our thumbs for luck.

I'm glad you got to the interview stage. Back when I applied for a QA position at a Swedish developer, I sent in my resume and cover letter. All I got back was an internal email for the QA Lead's eyes, sent to me by mistake by the HR person.

After that, not a word. To keep my spirits up I just tell myself she screwed up my application and it got lost wink.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man. that does suck. i'm hoping if they do turn me down, they let me know that as well.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I GOT THE ON SITE!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    AAAAWWWWWWWW SHEEEIIIITTT!!!!
    Now you almost definitley got the job as long as you dont try an tongue kiss the art director or come smelling like a tub full of piss that someone just farted in smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOO HOO! Congrats!!!
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man this is awesome.... AWESOME!!!!!
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man it all just sunk in.

I'm so nervous. what if i fart or something ala peter griffin.

man!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you fart, play the best damn tune you can to impress them. Otherwise, WOOO!!!