Home General Discussion

Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars released!

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
etqwpaper1.jpg

Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars is out!
I figured since ET:QW is the first title I've worked on in-house and had published, it deserves a thread here...
We went gold around the time Halo 3 did (just before they stole all of the CD manufacturing plants...) and our Europe, Asia & Australia release was today!
ET:QW should hit North American stores on October 2nd.

While the release has been overshadowed a bit (just a bit wink.gif) by the monster that is Halo 3, we've been receiving very good reviews in the press and a great reception from the old-school gaming community, clan players and competitive e-sports players. I think our average review rating is around the 90% mark so far, which is pretty cool smile.gif

Suffice it to say I like playing the game enough even after working on it for over a year, to have installed it at home and I play it pretty much every night. Basically it's replaced Quake 3 in my PC gaming life now :P

Anyway, if people don't know what ETQW is, here's the link to our main site, and you can download the demo containing the map "Valley" there - www.enemyterritory.com

Megatextures!
Also if you're lazy and just want some eye candy, one of the guys on our community site has put together this website which contains overview map screenshots of all 12 maps:
http://d8d.org/etqwmaps/

They've just been pieced together from screenshotting a top-down view, so there are some seams, but mostly the pretty MegaTextured terrains are shown off very well there.
My favourite is the terrain for Refinery, although Salvage is pretty cool too (has to be seen in game to be appreciated), and Island and Volcano look rather nice also.

Also, Tully painted some very nice wallpapers on the website in the Downloads section, the image above is one of them!

But anyway, I strongly recommend you try the game if you like multiplayer shooters (CounterStrike, BattleField, Wolf:ET, Quake 3 etc), I think you'll have a lot of fun.

If anyone does have the full game and wants to add me to the in-game friends list, my handle is MoP.

Replies

• Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Conrats mop! You must be stoked smile.gif

Looks like a great game that had some talented motherfuckers working on it, Im looking forward to playing it cool.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, a rundown of polycounters on the ETQW project:

Frankie - Lead Artist at SD
    peppi - Senior/freelance artist at SD
    Sa74n, effekted, MoP - Environment artists
    Tully - Media artist
    Bryan Cavett - Artist at Nerve Software

I think that's everyone who posts here. We also recently gained Spacemonkey but he didn't work on ETQW.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Tully? really? that's awesome.

This reminds me I need to check out the demo. Congrats moppers. But if the game lacks in certain environmental areas, I'm blaming your post count.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yay ! Downloading the demo now.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Good work gents, I will be purchasing this.

w00t!
    Frag'm!?
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats MoP and the SD crew!
    Would like to check this game out but will have to wait for a new computer, and for all of my hard science courses to be done with frown.gif

post some screenshots people!!1
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    congrats to you and all the people involved in this
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Mop wink.gif good to see.

BTW bit off track but do you know if anyone from SD will be visiting the London game career fair later this October?
    be good to meet peeps for a beer and advice on the goin rate for slave labour heh.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    CONGRATS you guys!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Well done! I hope you all celebrate properly - this is something to be very proud of.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats my friend! That is awesome for you all, and looking forward to trying it out. Wish you guys were closer so we could all go out for a beer.

Spark
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I'll get this later. I already know the betas spoiled my productivity
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh snap, I saw some screenies for this, but I had NO idea it was coming out so soon! Shame you didn't get a bit more publicity, looks like a great game. I'll buy this along with Halo 3, if I ever go outside crazy.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    congrats you guys!!! I know you busted ass on this. that strogg technician wallpaper is BADASS!!!

oh btw:

rawkstar - testing! laugh.gif bwahahahahahaha totally adding this to my list of shipped titles wink.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, surely I'm going to buy.
    CONGRATS TO ALL POLYCOUNTERS WHOSE'S WORKED ON THIS TITLE.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I hope you had a big party!

Top job, I've grown to really enjoy ET over the last few weeks of the demo and our work LAN sessions.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Good Job Guys! GREAT GAME! whoo_hoo.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    well done I love the art in this game, I didnt really get into the demo but Im still considering buying it, just need friends to play with I reckon.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's definitely the sort of game that grows on you, I think.
    The learning curve is a bit tough right at the beginning but once you start to understand the maps and class roles then it all falls into place - nearly all the reports I've heard from people is that it starts out quite confusing but then then more they play it, the more they love it.

By comparison, a game like TF2 seems quite easy to get into but I think the longevity won't be the same. ETQW is very deep...
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to all. Must be a major stoke for your first FT position in the industry to be working on such a title with such a team Mop.

Better yet, a RELEASED title. laugh.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats... might get it when the Linux client is out, but I wasn't overly impressed by the demo either.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Grats to all who worked on this, good fun it is.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    congratz MoP and all the guys who worked on this great game smile.gif I'm gonna buy this week for sure ! laugh.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Gratz to you boys at splash.

I ordered the collectors edition today,will hopefully get it monday smile.gif.

John
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool John, the Collector's Edition has a bonus DVD with a bunch of concept art and behind the scenes videos on it.
    Actually now that I think about it, that bonus DVD will have a lot of Peppi's player/vehicle/weapon concepts on it... and those are cool just by themselves smile.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    congrats MoP and anyone else who worked on it. Its definitely a polished game from the demo I played.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Mop, and all those that worked on this title! I have the demo on my home comp and am looking forward to sinking my teeth into the final game. I just need to get through Halo 3, Metroid Prime 3, and Bioshock however QW:ET will definitely be one of the games I think I'll keep going back to again and again. Like CS, or the original ET.

Hope you guys are getting a little break in the meantime.
    Think you guys will post some of the stuff you worked on?
    B
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    yeah, actually, I was about to ask the same modeling_man, we want to see some "making off" images ! laugh.gif

I'll try to put my hands on the collector edition mmh.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okidoki, yesterday after-noon I've bought ETQW ED. COLLECTOR -

1) BONUS DVD :

<u>Concept Art -</u>

I'm a little bit disapointed about. Well done , but I've expected more sketches,concept arts etc.
    (maybe some short wip , why not ?) There's more art concept on the wall at studio Splash Damage.... - comme on guys
    what's up ? No model's wireframes . frown.gif

<u> Videos -</u>
    I don't see any reason to present LAUNCH TRAILER or TRAILER 2006 as Bonus ! Launch trailer You've got in a game
    and other Trailers 2006 or 2005 You can get on WEB !
    ...and the rest of team ? Why there's not short videos some others artists. This could interesting.
    (Seniore Artist,Animator, Level Designers,Programmers, Sound artist etc etc.)
    They could talk a little bit about their work.

Simply I've expected more.

2) ETQW Game -

surprise ooo.gif - I did "white night", I've had a fun playing till 4.00 morning as diZzyWalnut (On-line, ETQW SERVER -SAN JOSE,or blackbarn).
    Theres was 11 STROGS and 12 GDF .... real war ! How Mop sad before - It took me about 1 hour( maybe 2 ) to be HOT &
    understand well what I have to do. I've choosen COVERT OPS - to hack, snipe and deploy radar. I love it.
    Jesus what's the Flying Strogg - he kills me each time .Bloody bastard. mad.gif( next time I'gonna play as Strogg).
    The missions are cool too. F'k - long time we try to bring the case with software disc , finally we lost the game. frown.gif

Well - it's a good game and there's a lot of potencial to grow up and discover this game. Future will show us.

Anybody from Polycount is going to play tonight ?

<u>BRAVO - SPLASH DAMAGE.</u> cool.gifwink.gifcool.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be playing tonight, probably a UK or European server smile.gif
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    wow those are some killer wallpapers. great work tully, hadnt seen em before. and that megatexture site is cool too. would make a cool section for hoffas portfolio site =)

btw. its my first released game too smile.gif yay
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'll be playing tonight, probably a UK or European server smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    me too. I think about 23.00 o'clock I will be ready to fight
    as diZzyWalnut.
    Are You playing as Mop ?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, MoP is my nickname in ETQW - I've added you to my friends list so we can easily get on the same server smile.gif
    If you see the little Quake "Q" icon next to a friends' name in the server browser, you can right-click on it and use "Join on server".
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
    bought the game Friday but couldn´t play it until today, but if anyone wants to add me to their friendlist my nick ingame is the same as here; thefatladysings

loving the game so far smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to tell You something - (all of You).
    We know that MoP is great artist,
    but I'm telling You that HE IS ALSO EXCELENT PLAYER . cool.gif If You want to win = PLAY with MOP !

I'm a real noob. laugh.gif
    GDF has got problem - MoP comes and ... in 2 minutes No problem !
    He's done nearly all the missions. Even mines. blush.gifooo.gif
    Very impresive. Too fast.
    We've been 12 GDF against 12 STROGGS.

Thanks goes to SPLASH - I have a fun.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats MoP and all the other PC guys involved, certainly an awesome title to have under your belt.

I've been playing the demo pretty hardcore during lunchtimes at work and I'll definitely be picking up the full version soon. grin.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    awesomeness. i'll have to pick up a copy.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to everyone at SD and anyone who worked on the title. We've been playing the demo a fair bit here at work during our lunch breaks. I've been playing it since the BETA and I really enjoyed it, a whole lot more than I did BF2.

-caseyjones
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats MoP! Way to go - I loved the demo. Now just need to scrounge up some time to play it wink.gif
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any insiders can tell us when the SDK and mapping tools are to be released? tongue.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    congrats to all the polycounters on this project, it's a very solid looking game. for my two cents, the Splash Damage take on the Strogg is far superior to what showed up in Q4. kudos all around!
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats MoP and others who worked on it, the game is gorgeous looking.

Linux client yet? I tried the demo on my laptop, but it's running Vista on an ATI mobility x1400, and sadly the patches for ATI drivers don't cover that model, and I got really bad framerates.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone: Thanks! I wouldn't be playing it online every night if it wasn't a fun game smile.gif

Irritant: Linux client is being worked on by TTimo at id software, unfortunately no scheduled release date yet other than "when it's done".

thefatladysings: SDK and tools are planned to be released soon, probably in the next month or so. As usual though, "when it's done" wink.gif
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just grabbed a copy of the collectors edition tonight, looking forward to getting stuck into it. My game name is WhyteEagle (damn my generic name, someone always beats me to it!), feel free to add me to your friends list. smile.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Played for the first time yesterday night,played mainly against bots to regather the pace and take in the changes since I last played,the beta....damn good bots,mined the crap out of the objectives.....Also im a touch against being forced to shoot peppi in the face,even if he is stroggified smile.gif (refering to the bot named Herr Boehme.)

Had couple of games online,will be on for awhile tonight and at some point over the weekend.

Really enjoying it.

John

My nick is "Bronco" feel free to add.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Getting a new vid card...and the game comes with it for free!
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for bumping this thread up again, but could you tell us something modelling for quakewars MoP? Things like polycount guidelines for player models, vehicles and stuff, or maybe specific things to look out for when modelling for quakewars. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, our default player character models are around 4000 tris each, vehicles are about the same, maybe a bit more. Normal maps are your friend, of course.
    LOD meshes can be used but are not required.
    If you've ever done any modelling for Doom3 or Quake4, then the techniques and processes are pretty much exactly the same.
    You can even use the existing Doom3 MD5mesh exporters (I recommend the one by Jonathan "BeRSeRKeR" Garcia if you're using 3dsmax), they should get workable MD5s into the game if you need bones & animation.

For static meshes, LWO OBJ and ASE format should all work fine. You need materials applied to your meshes in the format mypath/mymaterialname for LWO and ASE (ASE is now correctly loaded with materials unlike the hackery you had to do in Doom3/Quake4).
    If you're using OBJ format for static meshes, it doesn't support the / character in materials, so it's represented with a double underline "__" ... for example mypath__mymaterial.

We're working on the SDK and help/tutorial Wiki here at the moment, should be released soon, I'll let you guys know when it's all up smile.gif