Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

omg demo char 3?! RTS Dawn Of War DarkAngel Raven

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
ok guys I thanks to some people on here, was able to scruff up the proper stats and info to get what I needed

So following suite Im making a master of the raven wing biker guy all in 1 giant 512 map similar to the dawn of war guys.

I just finished the Dark angel Biker himself, which I used many of the guidelines that Relics model had and remodeled alot of others making a few tris here and there to save more polys than what they had confused.gif

Anyway heres what im aiming for exactly

RW_banner_2_LG.jpg

and this is my progress so far, im starting the bike a bit later today

sefsversion.jpg

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    cool stuff! hope you succeed at making it look like the model!
  • Piotr Słomowicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piotr Słomowicz polycounter lvl 17
    Yup, cool model. Good luck.

Hands look too small.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    er, maybe I read wrong or misunderstood you, but are you saying you used another model as a template to build your model? like you basically lined up lines and vertices with another persons model and edited what you wanted?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nooooooooooooooo NOOOOOOOOO , more along the lines that I took the model for porpotions and remodelded things I didnt agree with and built everything new.

The only thing that I built similar was the shoulder pads and arms since I liked the way they kept them lower poly and basic shapes, but even with that I took the model and remade them to be less geometry and more of a basic shape since I have to build his bike still.

Im also rebuilding his hands since I honestly just dont like the way I built them, they do seem way to small, and I was doing some tests for deformation and im not to happy with it right now.

I should have a update by tommorrow if all works out
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Can't wait to see the updates that's a nice figure.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    the little meshsmoothed-box looking things on his backpack stand out as far too dense - a lot moreso than the original's.

i hope you're planning on making that censer ball thingie.

are his legs modelled under all that?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sect: Yea I actually just kinda made it a box on a spehefiy modifier to create that shape, The relic model was just a sphere with tris all welded to the top, so I didnt dig it to much, Im gonna go back and do a bit more work to it later tonight , as for the legs yes I have all the way to the pelvis made since he will be sitting and his cloak thing will be flowing around and all
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    very nice, much better than your previous attempts at marines... you modeling the bike to go with him? if that's the case, i'd model it now, and reposition him so he's sitting on it before you start any texture work. that way you can paint on important shadowing and stuff.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i fucking love Dawn of War. Was never too into all the specifics of the table top etc, but its such a sweet game.

Biker guy looks cool so far. From what ive seen of the DoW meshes, you could probably stand to beef him up in some areas. Lose the double belt mesh (danglies are cool) - texture that shiz, put a few more polys in the hood.

gogo! FORR CHAAAOOSOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FOR THE EMPEROR

Because I want to ride my Bicycle BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICYCLE!

newupadter.jpg

I should have the bike completely done by today if all goes well

I had to rework the cape area and I also redid the hands a 2nd pass, there now bigger and more poly effiecnt as oppose to before, All thats left is the back of the bike the angel wings on teh front and the guns and then all texturing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Critics and such always welcomed
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks great! i like the knee caps.
    keep it up!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Radtastic! We're all obsessed with the game here at work. Every tuesday night is beer/pizza and DoW night.

The model is looking great so far, but i would suggest that you lose the two loops of rope around his waist. You can paint those on no problem and wont even notice with how small the bugger will be in game.
    Also, be sure that you fold his cloak in under him so it's not clipping into the bike as much.

This may have inspired me to paint the Techmarine ive been thinking about doing...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    god damn... i'm gonna have to get back into modding AND playing DoW, i frigging love it. one of my favorite games ever.

there is so little that can stand against 5 squads of terminators armed with assault cannons :P

i have a weird playing style with DoW though, when me and my friends play, i always sit back on the defensive and build up what i call "the wall of gnarly". which is, in effect, full squads of termies with assualt cannons, set to "stand your ground" so they just stand and open fire on anyone who's stupid enough to run toward them. with 10 whirlwinds behind them, carpet bombing the ground in front of the terminators.

then when i want to attack, i either ditch the whirlwinds and build dreadnaughts, or just assault with the termies and leave the whirlwinds to stop people getting into the base.

i always hated "rush" games, where's the fun in eliminating people early? it's ALL about the epic battles of immense proportions between 8 different people and massive armies :P
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omfg Is that a update?!

hey guys sorry, been rather going through a up and down road lately, life is difficult and blah blah blah, ok heres the model

Finally finished up this guy, gonna be uv unwrapping the bike and beggining to texture him next quater.

Tell me what you guys think

DOW_guy.jpg
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    god damn... i'm gonna have to get back into modding AND playing DoW, i frigging love it. one of my favorite games ever.

there is so little that can stand against 5 squads of terminators armed with assault cannons :P

i have a weird playing style with DoW though, when me and my friends play, i always sit back on the defensive and build up what i call "the wall of gnarly". which is, in effect, full squads of termies with assualt cannons, set to "stand your ground" so they just stand and open fire on anyone who's stupid enough to run toward them. with 10 whirlwinds behind them, carpet bombing the ground in front of the terminators.

then when i want to attack, i either ditch the whirlwinds and build dreadnaughts, or just assault with the termies and leave the whirlwinds to stop people getting into the base.

i always hated "rush" games, where's the fun in eliminating people early? it's ALL about the epic battles of immense proportions between 8 different people and massive armies :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahahahaha...then youre fucked dude. Latest patch limits you to 1x of each term squad and 1x whirlwind. No more cheese tactics 4 u!'

Looks good seforin, but now paint it! The texture is whats gonna make it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it awesome work.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's ok i mostly play lan, and we've increased unit caps to stupid ammounts (like... every seen 1000 orks get mowed down by 500 marines? :P)

anyway, i'd say fix the clipping on the robe, it's a static pose so you can afford the polies to make it look pretty.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gir, but the character itself isnt rigged or anything and I plan on alphaing the robe to have cuts and such in it. I just placed him sitting to get the idea of how big to make the bike and such

a buddy of mine said this bike looked to long, does it really seem to long?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    a little long, if you pulled the front wheel back some so the forks are more vertical it'd match the minis more. As it is now it looks more like a bad-ass chopper. on the mini you don't get to see the front forks at all.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm so which is better bad ass chopper or mini version? haha
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I think I like it better shorter, I think it makes it look beefier and heavier. Other than that, solid work, looking forward to the texturing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really sure the poly bits on the engine need to be there, they get covered up by his feet, and a well done texture could fake that detail really well? I'm not sure how many polys that would save, or if those polys could be used some place else?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with Vig. I only ever played the demo of dawn of war, but it (and COH) didn't seen to have that much modeled detail. Plus, those polies could go to use in the character.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, so shorter bike, and add the polys to the character instead huh?

Hmm..I guess I can add more to the char and just cut back the bike, but since alot of those pieces stick out of the bike (those are major groups) I figured to just model them since there at most 10 polys each.

well Im beggining the UV unwrap faze, and I Think since there so low geometry I will keep those pieces,it makes it alot easier to texture since those are suppose to be muffler and engine bits

And since in DOW the chars die and fall off there vehicles I can just implement it that way so I think the geometry will come in useful.

well see, For now im going to start resizing the stuff and then from there Im going to just start texturing this beast finally
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so after a long shift at the night job and MUCH uv unwrapping, I got to thinking

hey wait these guys put everything in 1 big ass sheet and have interchangable parts.

What do I have to offer?

and then It hit me,

I think I need to add on this bad ass maba jamba right here

AttackBikeMkII2.jpg

And then I figured just for added shits and giggles, working on remaking this guy for a head swap, and I figured to give the old school guys something to get wet about

close4b.jpg
    close3b.jpg

so yea im already crappin myself trying to figure out how I will pack all this into 1 512 map, but damnit I will do it!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    you can do a 1024 map without a big performance hit from what I've read. Never tried it myself though.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    yes give them sidecars with multi-meltas and MK3 helmets!

I bought a whole bunch of old spacewolves stuff recently and it's easily half MK3 helmets. I like the newer helmets but particularily with Space Wolves mixing them up a lot looks good.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea im making it so theres atleast varations to the char, also added in his insese ball for the main guy

so head swap, bike swap, and prop swap, I think that covers for the bike unit pretty well,

And yea I would do a 1024, but I wanna stick to the ingame sheets they used, and from what ive seen there stuff is all 512

OFF topic, but if I get this guy to be fully game operational, with swapping parts and such, anyone wanna take him and try to get him to work in DOW for fun?

I have no idea how to mod the game and I dont mind supplying out this model if someone wants to mess with it
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Try asking around on the Relic modding forums. I was never completely successful in getting a model into the game, best I got was a statue sliding around. Non of the animations worked or anything.

The gist is that you make several files called VIS files, those are the various combinations you have of your base model, eg, the multimelta sidecar upgrade from basic storm bolter would have its own VIS file. A Plasma gun upgrade would have its own VIS File. then you export the model with all its animations and such to an SGM file, then you open the SGM file in Object Editor and give it functions that the game can call on to make things happen in game. Then you make a EBP and SBP (incase you want to have the bikes in squads of 3 or whatnot) with Attribute Editor.

There's alot of folder structure and trial and error involved, but after going through it a couple times it'll be pretty easy.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man it just sounds like unreal, forget it, gonna just do the model =p
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys heres a update

newbiker0z.jpg

I still need to add in the main gun on the side cart and the fender for the wheel,

but Im pretty much completely uv unwrapped everything except the new head, the insence ball and the side bike part.

After that I'll just pack all my uvs and just start texturing!

Critics and such always welcomed
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    BEAKIESSSS!!!

loving it so far laugh.gif
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    i have the attack bike...if you want to come over and see it other then that looks cool cant wait to see the textures
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks scuba, but our good friend jesus, lent me his painted version, so I think im good on the piece for now

ok so I finally finished this up final tri count was 7590 for 2 chars + the side gunner car, excluding swapping heads, and just keeping 1 style of head each.

(I still need to figure out how I will rig with swappin parts, since I have 1 with the cloak hoodie down and one with the different head)

well heres the new update, all thats left is to unwrap the new side part and start texturing.

Wish me luck! laugh.gif

finalb4unwrap.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys quick update and a question

Ive spent the last few days packing this entire beast all into 1 512 and not having overstretched parts or parts that didnt have enough uv space, so sorry for no updates

now the issue I ran into was this.

Should I paint these guys the traditional darkangles green, or should I keep them at the black color since there masters of the raven wing squadron?

heres a pic for a better idea, NO details all just fill colors for now

wtf.jpg
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    why not both? Honestly, I don't know how much detail goes into the actual figures since I haven't seen one first-hand in years, but why not make a texture map in black then duplicate it and make an Overlay or Multiply layer in PS, paint the black over with green...? I'm generalizing here because I'm tired and about to go to bed, but I hope that made some sense...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    throws off the army scheme color is why, and both chars are the same unwrap except the heads + 1 shoulder pad, so its one or the other....I can paint it both green and black...but I wanna stick with one only..?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ravenwing = black. Regardless of whether they are masters or not, the ravenwing, and the deathwing, follow the original Legion colour scheme, which was black. the Deathwing terminators repainted white in honor of the one squad of terminators who held off a planitary invasion of tyranids or something.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    you put both characters and the bike on a single 512?

could easily have gotten away with the bike on one and the dudes on another.

you should look into how relic did their army-painter stuff. I say both color schemes!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I think you'd need at least a 512 for the marine and a 512 for the bike. performance wise I don't think the game will have any problems handling a handful of these on screen.

Try posting it in the Relic's mod forums, might find someone who can get it into the game. Maybe even some advice from a dev.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea but relic made a shitload of weapons + characters on the 1 512, I figured well since they dont have weapons but the bike, just do it that way,

As far as the army painter, isnt that a ingame addition that you create another map of parts you want army painter to recognize as recolor you paint?(I think thats the principle to it)

hito, can you pm me the link to that forum.....I'll see if anyone would be intrested to take this beast off my hands on there once im near done with it
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

model-wise your best reference from in game would be the Orc wartrak. roughly the same size, with a rider, and two weapon upgrades.

yeah, army painter maps are a set of black/white maps that define primary, primary 2; and trim color areas. There should be some in the modtools archive if you downloaded the art samples along with it.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hito those kids on relic forums want me to be a full time modeler for there mods, haha, crazy no?

anyway texturing all tommorrow laugh.gif
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Hey I found the art sample texture sheets for the Predator tank and marine if you want to see them. The tank is actually split into 3 512 maps. the Marine with all upgrades is on 1 512.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hito, yea sure send me the file when you can.

damn 3 512 maps huh.....weird?

hmm...........
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yep. You need to look at the most recent files they've shipped... you're looking at the Space Marine - probably the very first art asset they made for the first game, three years ago.

A 512 for the bike and another for the figures would be appropriate.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I didn't manage to extract art assets from the 2nd expansion pack. The importer broke. Most the assets didn't change much over the years. The engine was very modular and things just get turned on and off with each expansion pack.

I'll let you know if I manage to get a new IG vehicle extracted.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Do you really need the insides of the legs modeled at all? You see them from far away, and they are invisible most of the time anyway.
    I suggest you model both marines fully, then unwrap them fully, and after that pose them on the bike, delete hidden, and voila, you gots sum spacemarines.
    Love where this is going, by the way wink.gif
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zen: there only modeled up to the pelvis, and I have that for when they sit on the bikes you can see there legs, and if they died and fell off you can see them spread there legs.

I had a few people on the relic forums suggesting to keep these all on the 1 sheet because it makes it more simple for them when there implementing it in there mods.

I figured since I have this all unwrapped already and Im not making weapons for these guys, I'll just keep them all in the 1 map for now,I think I'll stick with the stats I had as the original, and from there Im just going to keep going.

Oh looks like my guys gonna be in the horus hersey mod coming out in december time, haha, fun stuff.

I just hope they can get smoke particles to come out of the exhaust

oh off topic Ive been spending the better part of my day looking for banners and such for the raven wing, anyone wouldnt happen to have any better ones than what Ive found?

most are very tiny and shitty rez that Im gonna have to repaint completely

hito: Dont stress about the marine I alreayd had that for a while now and was my template for my unwraps. But the vehicles I could use so any are better than nothing
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    aw the memories of painting hordes of those bastards in my basement.... Love the dark angle armies. Orks were pretty sexy too.

Expensive hobby man.