Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

omg demo char 3?! RTS Dawn Of War DarkAngel Raven

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    hey guys just wanted to show a texture update, check it out small start but start none the less

newupdate-2.jpg

Phobos : I know what you mean , to be quite honest my love for texturing/ painting came from these little bastards, Im glad they went digital (Even if it was almost 5-7 years later when they did)

my cousin is the REAL freak, he was the one that got me into the hobby, he has a COMPLETE space wolf army (I mean one of every squad in that army, full painted and customized as well)

and had a complete Elder, dark eldar, and chaos army confused.gif

I dunno where he got all the money to do that, Im still convinced he sold drugs to support his hobby laugh.gif
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just some more progress as I go

updatre1.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slow update is slow....

sorry for the lack of new things on here, but I finally got to painting all this night and got the body done for the most part,and finally started to paint the bike little by little

dwownewupdate.jpg

as always crits and such welcomed laugh.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    linking it, but i don't think i'd enjoy zooming in too much on that, it looks too low rez on the texturing side =[

and i looooooooooooove getting up close and personal in a firefight/melee fest.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    textures shaping up nicely. The black around the eye pieces on the beaky helmet is a bit thick though. Its looking like glass frames.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is way closer than you would ever get to it in game, I think it holds up pretty well even at this close distance. Nice work! I like the detail on the robe.

You might want to fill the black areas with the color they boarder, it will get rid of the darker edges around the opacity maps edges.
  • Xena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the robe gonna end up always floating like that? maybe showing off a little bit more armor or change the texture will make him look stronger. To me, the color and design of the robe is a little grandma like. But the bike is very cool.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the robe is extended out for now because I need to rig it Im going to rig it so they flow back when there on the bike but when they stand they cover the front (think priest robes)

The coloring to dark for the robe for your liking?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just wanted to give you guys the idea of how "little" space im working with, so heres the flats as they stand

DOW_texture.jpg
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Ben polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The coloring to dark for the robe for your liking?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I believe Vig is referring to is the way your diffuse is cooperating (or not) with your alpha. I see it on the banner mostly, which is what i'll use to make this clear.

Instead of doing this:

SEFDONT.jpg

Do this:

SEFDO.jpg

It's not the finest example, but I did it quick to make a point. It's something quick and easy you can do to eliminate inappropriate colors from your alpha edges.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ben thank you for the paint over, I havent really touched my alpha since im sitll doing work on my character painting, but I will go back and touch up the edges as you suggested,

Do I have talent yet?

sept_28update.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, that UV unwrap job is a nice one good use of space =) The Ben nailed what I was talking about. You don't need to go as extreme as painting the entire background one color. Just put 1-2px of padding that matches the pieces color around each piece so the alpha mask doesn't pick up and try to blend with the black background.

Even if your Alpha mask is all black and all white (no grey blends) the black can still bleed in, thats why the padding is needed. UV lines don't adhere strictly to pixels and if it crosses between two pixels of different colors, it blends between them giving you darker edges.

One other thing you might want to think about is squaring off some of the UV pieces so you can get straight pixel lines. Like the white highlight on the front fender, if the leading edge of that UV piece was straight across you could paint 1 solid pixel line across, instead of having to paint an aliased line.

With all that said, its looking great! Don't forget to zoom out a bit to actual size and see if the tiny details are holding up. It's great to go in and do fine details but if it turns into noise when they player looks at it, then it's not worth the time. Like the eye on the eagle head, I would brighten it up and make it more pronounced because I'm pretty sure that detail would wash out leaving the head mostly dark and forcing the silhouette to do communicate what the object is. Same goes for the highlight detail on the red seat padding, I think it needs to be pushed higher.

I would caution you against using 100% black as a base color/ Black isn't always 100% black, especially when its metal. I would use a very near black, dark blue or dark grey as a base color. This will allow you to paint highlights AND shadows instead of relaying on just highlights to show details.

Don't forget to fake spec shine and reflections. I know your head just exploded when you thought about painting reflections on all those tiny UV pieces. It's ok a few well placed highlights with different colors like what you'll find in the environments will be all you need.

This should help a bit when it comes to painting details into a defuse texture, which is a slowly dying skill heh
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#light_stuff

Crappily Rushed Paint Over
    RavenPaintOver.gif
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys as you can see im near done with this guy, because the V tech just kicked in finally

all I need to do is finish up the scratches on the side passanger and clean the alpha map, and this should be good to go smile.gif
    vtecjustkickedinyo.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah thats looking good, it would be nice to see some "at game size shots too". I think most people will freak out and say "I can see the pixolz!!" but you have to remember what the player will be seeing. Given the space you had to work with I think you did an awesome job.

But for the next "black" object you have to texture, I wouldn't start with pure black, like I went over in my post above =)
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    very nice dude!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys took advice more true rez heres the final FINAL version smile.gif

remifinalthingystuff.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    like i said before, i actually like to zoom in closer than that...

do some LOD's laugh.gif

looks great though, i'd download it =]