Home General Discussion

Bioshock Demo for download

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Installed the game today, played through the first few story sequences, it's awesome! Very atmospheric and immersive.
    The character models are really kinda crappy though, and the ragdoll system is pretty cheap, there are rotating limbs and bouncy feet/hands/heads all over the place - dead body lying on the ground for 5 minutes and its hands are waving around looks kinda silly...
    Oh yeah and the weapon models are pretty rubbish, the shotgun just looks weird and the machinegun is basically two boxes with a cylinder on the end. I know it's meant to be set in the past but those weapons are just... cheap.

Still that stuff is pretty minor, on the whole it's great so far, and I love my Big Daddy figurine (although I think I will re-paint it myself at some point). laugh.gif
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    While copy protection is really kind of stupid, this isn't that big of a deal. If something really goes apeshit and you can't install anymore you can simply call them to get it fixed. It is not really a good enough reason to go download a 2 or 3gb ISO and wait for a crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

2-3 gb? Games today are more in the 6-8 gig range wink.gif I wouldn't say the size of the download is much deterrent though.

As for the game itself, I'm enjoying it, stopped last night before making the decision on my first Little Sister, love the game. Have to agree with MoP though, they rather failed at getting across the point that the weapons are homemade, they just come across as "a shotgun somewhat lacking in detail" etc. Doesn't matter that much to me, I try to stick to plasmids anyway tongue.gif
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    I dont know about everyone else but who rescues the little sisters? i have yet to kill on ?
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    MoP: the look of the weapons is meant to be that of things scrounged from the world made into weapons (source: bioshock art book)
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm saving them all this time through, plan to replay after and kill them all though. laugh.gif
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I'm killing them the first time through, I'll save them next time when I know what plasmids I want tongue.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Just got my Collector's Edition! Sucks the work day has only just begun, but I'll definitely be racing home tonight to crank this BIATCH!
    The Big Daddy is pretty sweet, though the paint is a little average.

-caseyjones
  • bounchfx
    wait until you upgrade some of the weapons, mop, theres a bunch of cool shit that gets added on.
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not that far in the game but i could only upgrade 1 weapon and i chose the machine gun just deals more damage now
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I love how the grenade launcher looks like a bunch of large tin cans cobbled together, and how the 'trigger' for the gas gun is a pipe wrench, really shows the whole "made from what you can find" weapon idea came together well. Loving the game overall; definitely noticing lil bugs here and there that I know can be attributed to using the Unreal engine, but I'm so engrossed the good gameplay, story, and environments that I can easily overlook these things. smile.gif
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the grenade launcher isn't as cool the paint can frag grenades.
  • indian_boy
    this game looks sweet. i downloaded the demo [cuz i wasn't sure if i wanted the game] and its sweet! i love igniting them and having them jump into water and then electro-bolting them. the first time they jumped into the water i was like "smart! but not smart enough! mwhahahaaha!"

but i think the character models could've been nicer. no offense to the character artists! its just that, this game has AMAZING environment art, compared to which the characters look mediocre. im none to judge but....

oh, and the opening sequences scared the SHIT out of me! [dark today in toronto as it was]

anyways, now to get a hold of the game. its not vista-only right? and its got windows live?
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    nope, its not vista only!
    have fun!
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The soundtrack for the game (that we should've gotten in the collectors mind you)

http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/BioShock_Score.zip
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Here, http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48621

2K Ups BioShock Install Limit, Plans FOV Adjustment Patch.

Now quit your bitching, it's annoying.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

adambrome, fovfix is great, but the other thing is
    just some lube to ease the assrape
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Just beat it. The 9 year wait was completely worth it.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think there would be as much bitching if people weren't passionate about the game, I'm so looking forward to play it smile.gif

but if it weren't for bitching, we wouldn't get any kind of fixes for anything, bitching is an important skill you learn early in your childhood!
  • Motz
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    I've managed to play through each time and gotten both endings... though there are 3 ending movies in the content files. 2 of them are identical video with slightly altered...how do I put this.. the audio tracks vocals are in different tones... like it was a 2nd take. Why they would leave it in there, who knows.

I agree with Mop on theart assets, but I can stomach that. What I can't stomach is the ridiculous endgame that makes no logical sense. Yes I get the story they were trying to portray but the events that happen make no sense, and I sincerely expected much more. It feels very rushed. I wont spoil things since this forum has no spoilers UBB code, but I have a list of about 5-7 things that just boggle me.

POSSIBLE TINY EXAMPLE SPOILER:

Anyone miffed that there were no (drum roll please) underwater levels? No swimming outside while avoiding mutated sea creatures?

And the guy arguing with me about there being a cracked/downloadabel iso of it already for PC is mistaken. There is a 360 iso, but no PC version. So there is a point to all of it. This ranting about being treated like a criminal is stupid, i'd bet a buck you hav'nt even noticed it nor would have if you did'nt read about it.

2K games stocks jumped 10 points because they handled thier assets well.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The soundtrack for the game (that we should've gotten in the collectors mind you)

http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/BioShock_Score.zip

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I was disappointed when the box stated we'd get the game soundtrack... Only to find it was 3 songs Moby did at home in his spare time. frown.gif
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with Mop on theart assets, but I can stomach that. What I can't stomach is the ridiculous endgame that makes no logical sense. Yes I get the story they were trying to portray but the events that happen make no sense, and I sincerely expected much more. It feels very rushed. I wont spoil things since this forum has no spoilers UBB code, but I have a list of about 5-7 things that just boggle me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    When more people have beaten the game, it'd be neat to discuss what you didn't like about the ending, or explain why you didn't like it in a spoiler free fashion. Personally, I loved it, and thought it made excellent sense minus one particular choice. As for the ending being rushed? Really can't agree there. Shock 2 was guilty of having the end portion rushed, Bioshock's was pretty sweet. Now... The other major event before that with the other big guy, that tickled me in places I'd never been tickled. Seriously, I might just squirt talking about it.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone miffed that there were no (drum roll please) underwater levels? No swimming outside while avoiding mutated sea creatures?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not really. Swimming levels always suck. Also, your head would buckle from pressure. Now, if they had you wearing a diving suit like the big daddies (haha) it would have made a sweet seafloor walking level. I liked that part in KOTOR. But no. No swimming levels. : ( Bleah.
  • cursedDice
    [ QUOTE ]
    Here, http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48621

2K Ups BioShock Install Limit, Plans FOV Adjustment Patch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hardly put my complaints about absurd copy protection into the 'bitching' category. I was laying out my grievances in a organized fashion. The fact that 2k has reversed their tune on this issue validates all this 'bitching' that people like myself have been doing. 2k is listening...if we all just kept our 'bitching' to ourselves, 2k would NOT have reversed this.

If I had said something like...
    "OMG 2k is filled with n00bs...only 2 installs OMGWTF!?!?!"
    ...then yes, that would be bitching.

On a different note, I have finished the game twice already, and wow...this game deserves all the reviews and GOTY predictions that everyone seems to be giving it...game is pure bliss.
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I pwned bioshock and I got the good ending wink.gif
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm just disappointed they caved on the FOV issue. just because some retards make an ill-informed post ("true widescreen" !?) that all the gaming sites turn into a story, now Irrational is basically forced to go back on a design decision that's been made before and was met with no resistance at all. what a frivolous issue to deal with on the opening week for the developers. i just hope most of them are on vacation and not paying attention.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'm just disappointed they caved on the FOV issue. just because some retards make an ill-informed post ("true widescreen" !?) that all the gaming sites turn into a story, now Irrational is basically forced to go back on a design decision that's been made before and was met with no resistance at all. what a frivolous issue to deal with on the opening week for the developers. i just hope most of them are on vacation and not paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO SHIT HUH! 360 version wont get fixed and I don't care. It doesn't take anything away from the game for me. Some people will bitch about anything.
  • tpe
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    The warning... Watch out if you have a PS2 card, it does not state on the box it requires PS3. And it does state DX9.0c.But dont be fooled even though the ati x800 etc are DX9 cards they are not PS3 so it wont work.

Another cry baby here.

I just bought it retail this evening, read the box at the shop, it said DX9.0c which is fine for me,

So after messing around for 2 1/2 hours to install it, new drivers, new .net framework, new hotfix (specifically for my ATI x850PE) for ati cards I found it wouldnt work.

This looks to be the PS2/3 issue? But suprised that ATI stated the 100mb bioshock hotfix was for the x850PE.

Of course i went and broke the seal and installed it so cant get the cash back. It would have been much quicker to download a pirate version. I guess it serves me right for reading the box and not checking the net first.

The demo was kind of fun at work though, but playing the whole game would be taking the micky. The characters were very variable quality, the zombie ones seemed the worst, and kind of murkey textures, and the weapons were closer to Valves quality controll than id's.

tim
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheap game with marginal creativity
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Still havent played through it im just barely past the middle of the game and have yet to get my crossbow frown.gif sadness ingulfs me right now ............. awesome game so far Best FPS i have played ever to me even better than half-life, only if there was multiplayer that would be fun.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have to find instructions on a website somewhere about how to uninstall the other crap that was placed on my PC without my permission, even with the demo, during the installion of this bloated overhyped wankfest sack of bullshit.

HL2 succeeded in gameplay in numerous ways compared to this theme park ride. Oh, but the water looks great. Honestly this game is somewhat enjoyable if the producers and fanboys would stop stroking themselves in the face of gamers who expect what they're assured.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh what?
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Jesse, haven't you heard? It's hip to be snobby.
    pretentious.jpg
    There are no monocles here, Ruz.

btw Elysium. Level design takes a radical change immediately after the demo. It's anything but a rollercoaster ride.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I suspect that you're just doing your 'just got back from the boozer and being obnoxious for the sake of it' thing Ruz smile.gif

If not, I'm genuinely surprised that you might feel that way. You're a talented artist, and its through an artists eyes that Bioshock can really be fully appreciated. A couple of folks at work compared it to Doom3, and it irked me. They just didn't get it. Immerse yourself fully into the experience and you might find a uniquely compelling, dark and incredibly realized universe. Viewed purely as an fps alone, the game may have its shortcomings, it may not quite deserve its scores, and some folks might think theres some shoddy Art here and there, although in my mind they've missed the point. But marginal creativity? That doesn't even make sense in the context of this game, since it's about the most refreshing, unique first person shooter I've ever played. Not to mention the huge disservice you're doing to the artists, designers and engineers that poured their heart and soul into this thing (and it shows). It may not be to everyones liking, but lacking creativity it is not.

This is one of the most intelligent game reviews I've seen. He gets it:

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=520
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. what? You've played other games like it that weren't made by Looking Glass/Irrational/IonStorm? "The _____shock fellas". Really? Please man, show me other shooters that offer this kind of creativity in character development, story, and art, in a first person shooter.

santa.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm only a couple of hours in...but so far it feels like an exact clone of system shock without the
    inventory/weaponbreakage. That's certainly not bad--system shock was a great game....but it was, in the end, a linear game built in nonlinear levels--like metroid. There's only one true way to go..you just have to wander till you find it.

that being said, I'm still having a blast. I just dealt with my first little sister...so we'll see if maybe the level design/objectives open up now that the big daddy/little sister element has been introduced.

oh, and the fights themselves are nicely open ended ..I can deal with combat in a slick variety of ways. it's not as many decisions as say, deus ex, but it's still very dependant on the player to decide how to progress.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    been playing it last night and this morning..
    Very solid experience so far, I'm enjoying it and its great fun. There are a few things about the overall design that don't quite gel in my mind, I feel like they have this great setting and the plot that kind of explain it, but then there are cracks if you examine it closely..
    well maybe I'm judging too soon since I havent heard the whole story but there are a few instances where I feel based on the circumstances I don't fully believe whats happening- and a better explanation is that 'it happened like that in system shock'

ps why in this great society built by these great scientists are there instructional videos on how to easily kill your enemies? what enemies? I would have found it much more pleasing if there were socially 'useful' reasons for the plasmids that the naieve scientists didn't forsee their destructive potential in the wrong hands.
  • indian_boy
    here are ur explanations:
    feeling cold? set ur friend on fire!
    power outage? set ur friend alight! [electro bolt]
    tired of throwing things at ur spouse? use telekenisis!
    realize u forgot to buy honey? use them bees!
    your children ganging up against u? convert one to ur side, and enjoy the mayhem!
    what others are there?

anyways, still contemplating if its worth 50 dollarz. my hard earned moneys will vanish:(
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    bloated overhyped wankfest sack of bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice objective, well-pointed review there. Moron.

[ QUOTE ]
    HL2 succeeded in gameplay in numerous ways compared to this theme park ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

HL2 never suceeded to be as atmospheric, scary and gripping as Bioshock though, IMO. There are some geniunely unnerving moments in Bioshock so far, and I'm only part way in. I never got the same feeling all the way through HL2.
    In most ways they're very different games. Sure, HL2 did some stuff better, but Bioshock does different things more effectively.
    I'm loving it so far.
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm Daz I perhaps was a bit harsh in the way i wrote , but the sentiments are real enough.

I thought it was very nice to look at , but found the gameplay not particularly original and the style was a bit of a mish mash of ideas.

If I liked it I would be the first to jump on the appreciation wagon, but it just did n't do it for me.
    I am allowed to have an opinion right? even if it does n't please everyone.
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Humerous Possibilities (well at least in my head):

Atlas: "Jack, would you kindly...f--k me! Oww! Damn-it! I spilled my damn coffee all over my pants. Shit. *furious wiping is heard* damn-it...this is going to stain. *more wiping heard* Just hold on a minute Jack...Jack? Jack are you there? Hello? Aww...damn it..."
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I am allowed to have an opinion right? even if it does not please everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

well duh, of course! Like I said, it may not be to everyones liking, but to specifically call it out as lacking in creativity, when it's as original as it is, is just plain....odd smile.gif I get the sneaking suspicion (as with elysium, and a bunch of other people at work that are very dismissive of it) that you probably have barely played it actually.

It's not about trying to jump on or be part of any bandwagon, I just happen to think that it's really damn good, so I'm curious to hear from the naysayers *specifically* why they don't. A couple of the game designers at work were very quick to dismiss it as another doom3 and thought that it was generally mediocre. I honestly truly believe that that was in reaction to a bunch of us showing up at work one morning raving about how incredibly well designed a game it is. As designers, they just cant handle that, and their egos force them to pick it apart.

But I mean seriously, setting your enemies on fire and watching them scramble into the nearest water to douse themselves, only for you to electrify the water, what's NOT good about that? smile.gif

Framerate is starting to chug for me in battles. Can anyone tell me If its genuinely stable on the 360? I'm seriously tempted to pick up a 360 so as not to spoil the experience. I was trying to justify getting one anyway.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz: you're entitled to your opinion, and everyone's entitled to their opinion of how much of an ass you're being (even if it doesn't please everyone).
    feel free to compare to other quality specimen--but your original post was fresh, grade-A certified Troll. a statement designed less to express a sentiment or opinion so much as to openly provoke in a thread where the majority is of a very different opinion.

it would have been different if you had started this exchange with the far less flamebait-ish post of "really wanted to get into this game, but it just didn't do it for me."
    that's a reasonable post. but of course, that's always the follow-up, once you get called out on the troll. "woah guys i'm just an opinion having guy like the rest of you, what's the big deal?" smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you probably have a point about me not delving in to it to much. I did finish the demo on the xbox 360 and it was ok, but perhaps for me , not quite enough for me to go out and buy it.
    I kind of spent most of the time looking at the nice environments and then dissing the the comparitive quality of the character models/animation.I didn't think they were awful, just not great
    I found the design of the game a little confusing. For example the mood was distinctly orwellian, combined with 20,000 leagues under the sea and a bit of 'lost' thrown in , but with a horror feel to it. Hence my comment about a mish mash of styles.

The watery environments look quite cheerful almost, which seems to clash a bit with the rest of it.
    I really didn't get that doom 3 connection, never even crossed my mind really.

Seemed pretty stable on the xbox 360 apart from one of the fierce fights near the end of the demo, where it chugged a bit.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    daz so far it's ran pretty nice on the 360. It chugs for me during huge battles with tons of explosions and me tossing everything around that I can find possible but seriously there are so many games coming for the 360 and with the recent price drop it is one hell of a deal.

Plus the new 360s have the newer chips in them and if you look at the boxes closely and look for the HDMI logo the premium (not elite) are also coming with hdmi outputs.

Just make sure it has that logo on the box.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: The framerate is absolutely top, it dips only barely for me in huge visceral battles. More than acceptable.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41921 <- This is what happens when paranoid morons have their say... From what I can tell, this article basically says

"All that amazing, hard work these developers have done... Fuck 'Em! Pirate this Shit!"

I can understand people taking a disliking to DRM and supposed piracy protection, but to openly suggest fuckin over these developers simply out of decisions the developers themselves didn't take and the bizarre illusion that the consumer is somehow being fucked over, despite getting their product...
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ah you got me gauss, I am king of the trolls this week. I will be a good boy/troll from now on:)
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Daz: The framerate is absolutely top, it dips only barely for me in huge visceral battles. More than acceptable.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41921 <- This is what happens when paranoid morons have their say... From what I can tell, this article basically says

"All that amazing, hard work these developers have done... Fuck 'Em! Pirate this Shit!"

I can understand people taking a disliking to DRM and supposed piracy protection, but to openly suggest fuckin over these developers simply out of decisions the developers themselves didn't take and the bizarre illusion that the consumer is somehow being fucked over, despite getting their product...

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta understand, that website is harsh and sarcastic. I don't believe they are telling people to do as such, they are saying the only way you can play the game on your PC without all the secure rom BS is by pirating. Its more to attack the publishers by being upfront that they are loosing potential revenue when individuals are swayed not to purchase it because of "big corporate brother" security issues.

They don't sugar coat articles. We need sites like this to bitch.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    bioshock 'busted big daddy' page now live:
    http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/busted/

gotta say, 2k/irrational is being badass about all the complaints. upping the install limit, fixing the widescreen woes, free artbook, free soundtrack download, free replacement of the bigdaddies... theyve run into quite a few snags, but my opinion of them has only gone up because of how they've dealt with things.
  • cursedDice
    I gotta agree that 2k's response to the criticisms (wide screen support, 2 installs, etc..) has been overwhelmingly positive.

I was very disappointed at the 2 install thing especially, and this new system (5 & 5) is awesome. It keeps massive pirating via one CD key much harder, and it allows those who OWN the game, to not worry about a 2 install limit, which is important. Two thumbs up at 2k...EA should have a notepad out.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Seeing how well they've handled the criticism, and actualy really seem to be listening to their customers, I went out and bought the game. Its all too uncommon for companies to stop listening to their customers once they have their money, but 2K seems to be stepping up and attempting to make ammends for their perceaved mistakes.

Good going 2K smile.gif