Home General Discussion

Sony: Nobody will ever tap full potential of PS3

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
That has to be the worst thing you can say about your system. "Nobody will ever tap full potential of PS3" Thats not something to boast about. I think they lack the understanding of if you want better looking games, they need to start making it easier to tap into the systems potential. Boasting about something like that makes you want to steer clear of it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3915

To go with that the new your times calls the PS3 a bust.
http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3914

Sony is just making this much harder than it needs to be. They already have soccer moms who think it badly of the PS3. At stores i see 5 times as many kids watching people play the wii's vs the PS3's...

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    It makes perfect sense. No one will ever tap the full potential because no one wants to. I won't ever tap the full potential of a 1983 Honda Civic either. Its sad to see something that has potential wasted because the company doesn't have a clue how to make, market or support it.

What this really sounds like, "oh crap Nintendo was right, cancel the plans for the PS4, we need to start making good games instead of trying to push blue ray on everyone"
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, they are really digging their own grave. Their exec team are *completely* out of touch and clearly clutching at straws, struggling with recent embarrassments.

I think their success with Playstation 1 & 2 made them arrogant, and let them think they could sit back and rest on their laurels, and the PS3 was ill conceived from the start.

What concerns me a little is how EA have put so much into backing the PS3 , and I still have a ton of stock. So yeah, I kinda dont want the PS3 to fail. But I kinda do, really. It's weird. *edit* scratch that, I really do want to see it fail.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz i think alot of dev's are feeling that way rite abut now. Wanting to see the PS3 die but wanting it to do well for the PS3 port sales.

Goes the other way too, wanting to see the wii do well yet not because they are not making anything for it.
  • McIlroy
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    I don't want Sony or the Playstation 3 to fail. I want the board of Directors at Sony to pull there heads out of there ass and Fire the entire Sony executive team starting with Howard Stringer,Phill Harris and Katsumi Ihara. Sony products are considerd by anyone with a brain as 2nd rate these days when at a time Sony made some of the best stuff . They need fresh blood in there and by that I mean a CEO and deputies that have a history of rolling out new successful technology and not just being the best bullshitter.
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Look at all this negativity.
    You guys ought to learn how to pust a positive twist in these kinds of situations. Example:

"Wow. No one will ever tap all the PS3 has to offer? Man, that's one powerful console. Maybe someday I'll work on a game that will get close to it!"

See? Easy.
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I have to sit back and laugh at how bad Sony is playing things, and I think that it is pure ego that seems to be driving them. Sort of like watching a sports game, where one team is up before the half by 20 pts, and think they have it won, then come back and get there ass handed to them. As a gamer, I always like competition..but honestly Sony better step up or step out as the wii and the 360 is making it look like the phantom/jaguar/ngage all rolled into one.

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
  • StrangeFate
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    i think what they are trying to say is that we devs all suck and our inavility to read and make proper use of the PS3 is what will always make it look bad... its not because the PS3 is inferior in any way, it's us not being good enough for it...
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I think what they're trying to say is consoles with 1/10th the processing power of the PS3 have games that are 10 times more fun. And that PS3 games will rarely be more than half as good as Sony promised. And those old PS2 games can't handle PS3's awesome backwards compatibility. But on the positive side, there are cheaper, better designed alternatives.
  • The3DGuy
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    /me hands Sony a shovel.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if they are doing a 'call out'. Trying to tell developers that they won't reach the potential, just as a challenge. So many companies have been stepping away from the PS3, that maybe Sony is using these statements to draw them back in.

That doesn't mean they aren't full of arrogance though. Although I think the PS3 will still be a great machine, I think Sony has already killed it with the flawed release and the unwillingness to drop blu-ray. Blu-ray should have been an optional add on like the 360 did with HD-DVD.
  • Mark Dygert
    You're totally right notman, punching someone in the gut is a good way to woo them back to you, its a perfect strategy they can't lose! heh
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    /me hands Sony a shovel.

[/ QUOTE ]

What good is that going to do them? They're already trying to dig themselves out of a hole... what they really need is a very tall ladder.

After reading this thread, it's funny to see such a drastic change in opinion. I remember about a year ago when the Nintendo "Revolution" was first unveiled, I said I thought Nintendo had the winning formula (i.e. attempting to expand and evolve interaction, instead of just increasing hardware specs). I mentioned how the general public doesn't obsess over graphics or technical prowess nearly as much as we artists do, and that hardware specs aren't going to determine the outcome of this nextgen console war. Not many people seemed to agree at the time.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You're totally right notman, punching someone in the gut is a good way to woo them back to you, its a perfect strategy they can't lose! heh

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol, just a theory... not saying it's fact wink.gif Now get over here so I can punch you
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    It would have made more sense to say the PS3 has unlimited potential(?).

...yep, they really nailed those target renders mad.gif

I feel bad for the folks who were waiting in line for their Killzone game machine.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I just wish metal gear solid 4 is quickly ported to the xbox 360.

I think the main thing about Sony's machines has always been third party support with exclusive titles, the PS and PS2 both had the largest game libraries of their generation of consoles. Wasn't the PS2 the hardest console to code for compared to the Xbox and Gamecube? Seems like Sony is losing ground on their exclusives list and I think if Square started doing Final Fantasy for the 360 and/or Wii, Metal Gear Solid getting ported to other consoles, etc etc would put the last nail in the coffin for Sony. With their current work ethic it seems they could easily go the way of Sega in the next few console generations...
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What concerns me a little is how EA have put so much into backing the PS3

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hi PSP, how ya doing?

I'm giving them 1 year until the "oh whoops we just realized the Wii is where the money is at" announcement comes.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ricks balls full potential is untappable according to Phil Harrison

In an interview with MTV, Sony's Phil Harrison put each of Rick lumpy milk sacks full potential into perspective. Harrison stated that Ricks nads maxed out the first PlayStation, God of Rick II, coming early 2007, is "about as good as it gets" on PS2, and Sony's games currently use "less than half" of his ultimate juice.

Regarding the limits of Ricks thick cock, Harrison stated that "Nobody will ever use 100 percent of its capability" due to consistent firmness, developers better learning and understanding the system, and the uniqueness of the sexy controller.

Do I win £5?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    milk sacks

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA !!!!11
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It's easy. The thing's so bottlenecked you'll never use that expensive hardware 100% because the RAM''s full long before then.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Now an article in PC world calls it the #8 in the top 21 tech screw ups of 2006.

[ QUOTE ]
    PlayStation 3: Late, expensive, and incompatible

When it was announced in spring 2005, the Sony PlayStation 3 was going to be the greatest thing to hit home gaming since a hedgehog named Sonic. Then came the delays. By the time the PS3 arrived, it was six months late, and Nintendo's cheaper and more innovative Wii had stolen much of its thunder. At $599 for the 60GB model, the PS3 is twice the price of the original PlayStation 2, yet research firm iSupply -- which describes the PS3 as having supercomputer qualities--estimates that Sony still loses more than $200 per unit.

Thanks to manufacturing delays, Sony shipped an estimated 150,000 units for the North American launch, or less than half the number it had originally planned. And the PS3 was incompatible with more than 200 PlayStation and PS2 games, though Sony is addressing that problem through online updates.

The good news? Game-crazed youth are buying up PS3s and reselling them on eBay for double the asking price. And unlike, say, Sony batteries, they don't catch fire...at least, not yet.

Big mistake: Trying to turn a supercomputer into a gaming device.

Bigger mistake: Failing to drive a stake through the heart of Nintendo when the opportunity offered.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128265-page,1/article.html
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    The article they link is as dumb as a box of hair: http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

So sure, 'on paper' the PS3 could be considered a bargain and a 'supercomputer' when you consider the sum of its components, but that's entirely beside the point when you factor in a) how hard it is to develop for, b)what kdr said c) completely shit launch titles, d) better framerates on the same games on the 360 and so many more reasons to boot. I could go on, but Im even boring myself with my PS3 hatin'.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    wii ftw!
    played it at work the other day.. doesnt even matter if the game you're playing isnt amazing (sports..) its fun just to wave about like an idiot
    sorry offtopic (kinda..) laugh.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm not so sure the Wii has the staying power, in the end I think it will have distracted people long enough to hurt Sony while Microsoft slowly keeps climbing. Think of the Wii like The 300 heh, only closer to the real historical battle.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Vig. I think the novelty of the wii-mote will wear off with time and they'll be left with their games to support them. They'd better improve those by that time wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The PS3 is a supercomputer. It has a complicated architecture that requires specifically programmed code, it is highly distributed so non-parallelizable code will suck ass, it's designed for stream processing with little or no branching which makes it best fit for computations that run for hours/days/months without user interaction and utterly worthless for interactive programs like videogames... Oh, wait, it's useless for scientific calculations since the SPUs only support single precision floats.
  • StrangeFate
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with Vig. I think the novelty of the wii-mote will wear off with time and they'll be left with their games to support them

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there will be always very fun games for that console.
    Will the Wii-mote's novelty run out ?
    Sure, all novelty wears off, but i think it will take a long time. All you have now are the launch titles, i'm sure the Wiimote will get a lot more fun as devs figure out new stuff to do with it, before it gets worse.
    I can also guess that Nintendo won't sit back and let it all fade away, but will rather do and innovate whatever it takes to keep it fresh...

i want a 3th party lightsaber Wiimote and a Jedi Knight game, NOW.
    Saber in right hand, small new mini wiimote attacked to your left palm... move hand (like you had to do in Black and white) to cast different force powers... Force push and pull would never be that fun again in any other console.
    i can see a lot of cool shit that can be done with wiimotes, from casting magic by 'drawing' shapes in the air to doing weird stuff in virtual rooms... not all uses have to be about firing or hitting something.
    I hope there will be some weirdly cool stuff for it too.

And in 3 years from now, i think i'll still rather swordfight or shoot with the wiimote than with a PS3 controller.

...and maybe they'll add voice recognition too and we'll all stand in our living rooms screaming FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL and simultaneously waving our arms like retards, awesome.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    AGREED ABOUT JEDI KNIGHT GAME !!! that ws exactly the first thing i thought when i heard abou wiimotes lol !

KDR : omg :|
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with Vig. I think the novelty of the wii-mote will wear off with time and they'll be left with their games to support them

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there will be always very fun games for that console.
    Will the Wii-mote's novelty run out ?
    Sure, all novelty wears off, but i think it will take a long time. All you have now are the launch titles, i'm sure the Wiimote will get a lot more fun as devs figure out new stuff to do with it, before it gets worse.
    I can also guess that Nintendo won't sit back and let it all fade away, but will rather do and innovate whatever it takes to keep it fresh...

i want a 3th party lightsaber Wiimote and a Jedi Knight game, NOW.
    Saber in right hand, small new mini wiimote attacked to your left palm... move hand (like you had to do in Black and white) to cast different force powers... Force push and pull would never be that fun again in any other console.
    i can see a lot of cool shit that can be done with wiimotes, from casting magic by 'drawing' shapes in the air to doing weird stuff in virtual rooms... not all uses have to be about firing or hitting something.
    I hope there will be some weirdly cool stuff for it too.

And in 3 years from now, i think i'll still rather swordfight or shoot with the wiimote than with a PS3 controller.

...and maybe they'll add voice recognition too and we'll all stand in our living rooms screaming FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL and simultaneously waving our arms like retards, awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent example of positivity from Stfate.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be happy if they ported Jedi Knight 2, and Jedi Outcast over to the Wii, that game was awesome, im sure it would be incredible with a Wiimote
  • Mark Dygert
    As well as lego Star Wars =)

Hold on, I have it for the cube, I should try it out see if it works with the mote.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the novelty of the wii-mote will wear off with time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like the DS, and it's silly stylus. Pfft, who plays those things?

I think it's more likely that, over time, the 360 and the PS3 may attempt to add motion sensing addons to their consoles to cash in on the fun market. And controllers with audio.
  • Michael Knubben
    Vig: don't hold me to it, but i don't think that'll work. Even though the wiimote is standard bluetooth, i doubt it'll be recognised for that purpose
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more likely that, over time, the 360 and the PS3 may attempt to add motion sensing addons to their consoles to cash in on the fun market. And controllers with audio.

[/ QUOTE ]

the famicom (Japanese NES) has a speaker in it's controller. nothing new!

pokemon just came out here, it's a Wii + DS game! nice

The PS3 is also gathering pace here now, mostly because of Gundam and HDGT
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the PS3 already have a motion sensing controller? Albeit it's not designed for the same kinds of things, but I absolutely hate the IR aspect of the Wiimote on sheer principal.
  • EarthQuake
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly how does having a really shity low quality speaker in your controler add to the fun? It sounds horrible compared to the sound of any decent tv, let alont a real stereo system, yuck.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it actually does in my opinion, no major important sounds come out there it just adds to the general experience when the whoosh and smack sounds come from where they should when you play tennis etc. its in addition to your sound setup not instead of
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    I was referring to the Wii's use of a tiny remote speaker to include small voice commands and positioned sound effects.

Hawken: why are you trying to argue my point with another Nintendo product?
  • EarthQuake
    IMO its a cool idea, but poorly executed. The first thing i noticed was "Wow the audio coming from this sounds like shit" second was "Hey cool i get my own little speaker". The more i played with it the more it just felt like a bad gimick.
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm glad the speaker is there, its nice when you are playing a multiplayer game and the mote lights up, rumbles and makes a noise when its the next players turn. It cuts down on the time the angry mob is yelling "HIT A! PRESS A ALREEADYY! COME ON PAY ATTENTION!"

I have to agree the low quality does kill its functionality and lead to an overall low quality opinion of the system. Still a good feature and they used it nicely in Zelda.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Hawken: why are you trying to argue my point with another Nintendo product?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude I'd argue anything from any point
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The PS3 is also gathering pace here now, mostly because of Gundam and HDGT

[/ QUOTE ]

The Gundam that looks like it would run super fine on a Xbox or maybe even PS2??
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    And with the 37% gamerankings?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a note.. technically the 360 (and xbox for that matter) already had this as an option with the headset, and the audio quality on those isn't exactly bad. Not to mention you have the option on the console's contol panel to adjust which audio outputs where.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I really feel bad for my mom about all this, im having big doubts about the system and no matter what i say or do they are so set on getting the ps3 it would put the most fanatic fanboy to shame. I can´t even get them to look at other options... or even think about looking at other options.

Her main reason for getting it is final fantasy (the only japanese game they play more or less.) and because.. well... it´s playstation. Xbox? bah humbug, can´t beat a playstation!

We will see how it ends though but i think that the playstation will really seem interesting to the ones that are older and don´t check out the gaming world. Everybody knows what a playstation is.
  • fogmann
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Maddox summed it all up nicely.

I'm so mad at Sony right now, and I am determined never to get any more of its products. Firstly, my stereo that I got back in the late 90s had bad laser and I had to take it to the service to be replaced. Then the PS2 had issues with laser. Finally, my monitor here, 21" Sony CRT Trinitron, priced as professional grade monitor, is about to die on me, and it is only 3 years old! Nobody is supposed to be scared of their computer, but me - I have to step back a few steps when this monitor is starting up, because it does some crazy blue flashing and zooming stuff and I feel it could explode any moment. And so I don't care a bit about PS3, I sure will not going to get it.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Some things I always buy from Sony. Others, not so much. I've never had a bad display from them - both of my computer monitors are Sony along with each of my last four TVs (a Trinitron, a pair of WEGA's and an XBR.) I also have had rock-solid optical devices outside of game consoles - three DVD players, a CD-RW and a Walkman.

What I wouldn't buy from Sony is an audio component. Their receivers are not as powerful as they are rated (in my experience) and their speakers are just crap. You can get a more powerful home theater or studio sound system by going a la carte with, say, Pioneer components and whatever brand of speaker you dig (I used to be into Cerwin-Vega, but whatever.)

I did have shitty luck with consoles. I went through three PS1s and a pair of PS2s. On the other hand, I've owned a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, GBA and GBA SP. None has ever needed replacing.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    saw this on 1up, had to post it... its what they should get for xmas.

[ QUOTE ]

Sony Computer Entertainment's Research and Development Team

A copy of Sneak King so you can see just how ridiculous it is that we can play a game that comes with fries and a shake in 1080i, but not Resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Robert Headley
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    saw this on 1up, had to post it... its what they should get for xmas.

[ QUOTE ]

Sony Computer Entertainment's Research and Development Team

A copy of Sneak King so you can see just how ridiculous it is that we can play a game that comes with fries and a shake in 1080i, but not Resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, LARF!

That is soooo golden. No one will ever tap the full potential of the PS3, unless someone makes an noninteractive game, with pre scripted events and no AI, and stereo sound. Maybe Mono.

I've seen less bottlenecks in a brewery (rimshot!) Thank you!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    aall i want is wii darts with free beer and belly, got that and im done.

merry xmas my wii digital bitches

=P

oh and sony will have to make a huge loss at start of console production if theyre gonna want to NOT lose euro and american teritory domination as a cosole itll be okayn once the price halves andsome tasty software arrives, ill probably wait till GTA and play whit my wee in the mean time.

happy new year, this dial up is killing me, the only people in the entire world that have dial up this slowm is my parents.

illpress enter and wait five minutes now.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i was talking to a fellow who's in electrical enginnering .. his friend works at IBM and they've investigated the CEll processor on the PS3.

According to them, the configuration is really poorly designed so whoever designed the layout didnt follow instructions properly. Thus the processor has 25-30% yeild rate. Which basically means that only a fraction of the processing power can be harnessed for practical use on the wafer. With the rest of the processor's power only suitable for simple irrelevant tasks.

So while the idea may be really cool, the execution is lousy, at least according to the engineers. It seems that sony elected to go with quantity over quality hoping that they can supply more of a cpu than IBM for xbox.