Home General Discussion

Wii on Nov24th @ $280?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
I've read a lot of articles on it, but nothing "official" yet.

The only thing Wii had going for it, is it's controller. I'm not paying $280 for a system that might not play DVD's, or lacks htpc features. I would have bought one if it were at the rumored $200. But the extra $100 (after taxes) just isn't going to be worth it, imo.

Sucks. I was looking forward to it frown.gif

Replies

• b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    bla bla and bla.

We'll see once its release.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    You don't own a DVD player? I don't think I've ever used any of my consoles as a DVD player, CD player, or media player. I feel the same way about the price, though. Part of the appeal to me was the ultra low price, but I probably wasn't going to buy one at launch anyway.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a DVD player downstairs, yes. But depending on what room I have the system in, it'd be nice to have DVD playback options smile.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    To counter Keyser, I use my 360 as a Console, DVD player, Media Player, & Cable Box. It's nice to have one gadget for all those things. And I don't own any other DVD players anymore, just my PC's DVD drive.

My wife wants a Wii, so I'll probably get it no matter what.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    uh, where you get 280 from? they said it wouldn't surpass 250, and the only roumor I heard of is that in a magazine it says it will ship for 150 on the 24th on november...
    and just for good measure :http://wii.ign.com/articles/731/731722p1.html
    EDIT: just noticed it's even pound so less that 150 dollar.. dunno where u get that number from, but at any means it's all just a roumor.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's going to be £149 in the UK. That's pounds, not dollars.
    £149 comes out to $279 U.S
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    "We know that everyone is as excited as we are about the pending launch of Wii and as a result there is a lot of speculation and rumours. We ask people to be patient as all will be revealed in due course."
    -Nintendo
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's going to be £149 in the UK. That's pounds, not dollars.
    £149 comes out to $279 U.S

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's where you got $280? You just converted the rumored UK launch price into USD? It doesn't really work that way. If you compare any console's Euro launch price (Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, etc.) to the US launch price, the Euro price is always higher. If it launches at $280 in the UK, it'll likely be closer to $200 here in the US.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    lol dunno why i got my dollar vs pound reversed.. at any rate, it wont exceed 250$ so I call humbug on that mag... and yet I'd gladly pay 250$ or 150£ - and the DVD thing afaik they havent revealed if it will support it or not?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    'Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.'
    -Nintendo

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^yay^

Keyser - that's good to know. If it's $250 I'll wait a while for it to come down. I just don't think it offers enough for that price. If it comes out at $200, I'll be standing in line smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    *laughs at Vassago for being a noob* laugh.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Marine
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    well $280 is more than reasonable considering the prices of x360 and the upcoming wallet vaccum aka ps3 .. You are definitely getting less number crunchin muscle, but that really depends on how you value their controller and their first/second party titles.

That price is actually pretty appealling to me since i am a big fan of nintendo titles.

Priced at $270 places the Wii to almost half the price of the competitors, is that still too much ?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i prefer to pay 600 dolars for the wii rather than the ps3 harr !
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think $270 is still too much, yes.
    As I said, the only things it's got going is the backlog on the virtual console, and the Wiimote.

That alone, isn't worth that amount of money to me. If it had more HTPC features, it would be more appealing. But $270 for a few decent games and a new control system seems overkill to me.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Keep in mind guys that the UK price of video games (and systems) almost never matches up to the US price if you use the conversion rate. Things in the UK tend to cost more in general.

For example, it costs £275 right now for a Premium Xbox360 console in the UK. That converts to $513. The Premium 360 only costs $399 in the US.

So based on that, I expect the Wii to be $199. Maybe $249 tops.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I am very tempted to get a Wii if it is priced around $200, and considering I never buy anything close to launch (closest to launch I've bought a console is the PS2 one year after). I may hold back to see what technical issues it will have, as much fun as those remotes look to be, I'm betting the first batch will be buggy or have overheating issues like so many consoles due fresh out of the gates.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I almost guarantee it won't be more that $199 in the states. And IF it is - it's because of some sort of bundle included (like wii sports or something). My best guess? I'm gonna go with $179.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you weren't seriously expecting the Wii to go for the same price as a Ds lite, right?

right, guys?
    The cheaper it is, the better for us, obviously, but i'll be happy if it's below 300 and fully functional (no overheating or anything)
    That being said, i'm not going to buy it at launch anyway. Not because i'm as clever as those waiting to see if there are errors, just becuse i can't spend the money on it.

I personally don't care too much for dvd-playback, and i doubt i'd spend money on the attachment.
    As usual i'm not going to slg off any one console, and i just hope my friends/coworkers/company buy the ones i don't get, so as to have all options available.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago i totally understand your concern, I guess it comes down to whether or not multimedia functionality is that important to you.

To me paying the premium for the ps3 or xbox360 just because they have crazy multimedia capabilities is not worth it.

But in that respect, do multimedia capabilities really sell the console to the typical consumer? or do they warrant a huge premium?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I would so pay an extra $200 as long as it plays DVDs and displays a resolution that requires me to buy a $2000 TV...

NOT!

I'm told my PS2 plays DVD's. Never used it.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yah...to me all that multimedia thing is bullshit, I'd rather get a wii, where I'll have games than a sci-fi supercomputer that can do everything except games

Bought the psp, never used the multimedia shit on it, and I'm really disapointed because the games are not satisfying for me, I only found 2 I like, which are wipeout and daxter, on DS, each time I'm tempted by a lot of games and all the ones I have are really fun to play. Guess it depends on each individual's expectations of a gaming system, mine is to run games, don't care about the rest.

still dunno if I'll buy the wii or any system tho, for the same reason as the pea, though the wii would be on top of the list...and if I want a supercomputer able to make coffee, I'll get an x360, that way, for the price of a ps3, I'll have games and the media bullshit, though I can have the media stuff on my computer, and can even use it WHILE playing.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess it's just personal preference then. I mean, I owned like 4 games for my DS for the last 2 years. I own 11 for my PSP. Wii's games aren't 100% appealing to me, so I guess that's why I'm looking for "more" in the console.

Just an individual matter I suppose smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I miss the days of buying a game system for $100 and it came with 2 games and 2 controllers frown.gif
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nintendo chief hardware dude Genyo Takeda talks about how, as soon as GC was finished, they had to start thinking about the next hardware system. If they followed the accepted industry roadmap, they'd think about giving it better graphics and more power.

But then they started thinking, wait a minute, even if we do this, is it really going to have as much of an impact on players relative to the cost? If you give people 1, they want 2, give them that and they want 3. Where does it stop? 5, 10, 100...? This creates a sort of malaise because they'll never be satisfied.

So they figured they wanted to create something different. They started to wonder why video game systems couldn't be refined like other technology -- like, rather than make a bigger, more powerful system, take what you have and make the chips smaller, make the box smaller, make it consume less power.

Once that sort of concrete plan was in place, everybody could understand what they were workign towards. So they ran some simulations: if they used GameCube level hardware, how much more efficient could they make it? They found out that it would be 1/3 to 1/4 the power. This really surprised them.

So rather than think "how can we make X better?" they thought "how can we make X take up less power?" The idea is "high performance, low power" rather than "high power, high performance," which is the industry standard, or "low power, low performance" which other companies are doing.
    Source

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's not going to be $280. That one of the most ridiculous price predictions I've heard (along with $129. Haha! God bless analysts.) It's souped up and shrunken cube hardware. Ultra cheap to manufacturer.

Stores will probably make bundle packs and sell those for ~$300, but the system itself? $199 USD = most likely.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    still getting a wii over a ps3. unless the ps3 suddenly drops in price.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i also hope that the loading time is minimal , i bet they worked on it eheh...
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    you know what, gamecube's overall load times were far quicker than xbox and ps2 .. at least on the games that i've played..
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I miss the days of buying a game system for $100 and it came with 2 games and 2 controllers frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

??? The NES launched at 200 USD, and adjusted to inflation, will most likely be more than the Wii.

When were the good olde days?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    He probably remembered a bundle that happened towards the end of the life of a console.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    there is so much noobage going on in this thread. how many times do people need to say that converting the uk price to dollars is incredulous!

Nintendo have always released their consoles at $200 on launch in the US, from the NES to the GC.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Bundles weren't an end-of-console-life thing back in the old days days, each generation just took away a little bit more. In 1985, $200 got you a Nintendo, two controllers and a game (Super Mario Bros.) In 1991, $200 got you a Super Nintendo, one controller and a game (Super Mario World.) In 1996, $200 got you a Nintendo 64 and a controller (pretty much the standard package for any new console these days.)

It's hard to say how things compare with inflation, but if you want a Wii with two controllers and a game on launch day, you're going to be paying about $80 more than you had to twenty years ago for the same bundle.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess no one remembers the Atari :P

I recall getting my NES for $99. Noth with two games, but I could swear I bought it for $99 with controllers and Mario. Either way, my point was that the systems have gone up in prices, but come with less. Personally I hate the idea of coming home with a system that I can't even use after spending hundreds of dollars, until I pay another $60 for a game.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ermm... I remember the Atari, but aren't we just talking about Nintendo prices in this thread?

I also don't like being required to pay extra for a game, but probably just because it wasn't that way in the old days. If I buy a DVD player, I don't expect it to come with a DVD, etc. And while Mario games are almost always great, I don't think I'd trust MS or Sony to pack in a game I'd really want, since they don't really develop any great titles in-house.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    you guys are forgetting duckhunt and the lightgun.

either way the Wii looks appealing to me still.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't forget Duck Hunt or the light gun, and I didn't forget Gyromite and R.O.B. They just weren't part of the $200 launch day bundle. I think you could the deluxe set with everything at launch for $250, and a year or so later the default $200 bundle came with the Mario/Duck Hunt double cartridge plus the gun. I was ten, I don't remember it exactly smile.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    The Wii is backward compatible with all Gamecube games and hardware...yes all Gamecube games and hardware. That means the controllers too. And the third party controllers.

And if you have a Nintendo DS it interfaces with that too.

$200 sounds fine for that...
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'd pay $200 or $280 for the Wii to be honest. Aside from the fact that it's Nintendo, it's bringing something new to the table + what Illusions pointed out. Well worth the money at $200 or $280.

Notman, I also remember paying $99 for my NES.

Johny, as expensive as the PS3 is suppose to be, I'll probably still pay it :]
    "Sony numba wan!"
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just hope they release more games that I like =\
    Their games are great, they just don't make many that appeal to me.
    Before I sold me cube, I only had 4 games for it, and I had it sinch launch. frown.gif
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    supposedly they are realeasing 1 official Nintendo made game a week for 13 weeks, or so i hear from the hot chick at the gamestore here. Should be an awesome launch to say the least.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey I didn't know it was gamecube compatible! hell, that seals the deal for me theres loads of GC games I feel like I missed out on not buying one, its the perfect way to catch up
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craig: Where is there a hot chick at a gamestore here, which store?
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just hope they release more games that I like =\
    Their games are great, they just don't make many that appeal to me.
    Before I sold me cube, I only had 4 games for it, and I had it sinch launch. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Smash Bros. Melee, Windwaker, RE4, Mario cart double dash, Soul Calibur 2 , Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime Echoes ... you really didnt like any of them ? frown.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem is, they tend to release 'kiddy' games. While obviously games like Resident Evil aren't kiddy games, there are only a few of those games that I'm aware of.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Smash Bros. Melee, Windwaker, RE4, Mario cart double dash, Soul Calibur 2 , Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime Echoes ... you really didnt like any of them ? frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved RE4, and Soul Calibur 2 smile.gif
    From that list, that's about it.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    frown.gif different tastes then ... i love the "kiddy" games as much as "manly" games laugh.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    :( different tastes then ... i love the "kiddy" games as much as "manly" games laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm sorry, but you're not a man unless you play ultraviolent videogames... videogames with female characters whose tits are bigger than their heads, huge off road vehicles, hookers that you beat to death with a lead pipe, lowered street-racing imports with NOS, an arsenal of weapons that rivals the size and spectrum of a small nation's army, and various other phallic compensators. You play Nintendo games? That's so juvenile.