Home General Discussion

second hand smoke (odd post sorry)

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
I'm a non smoker. In trying to get super fit over these last few months, I've noticed that often during and after exercise my lungs can sometimes feel sore.
I've also noticed that the bloke in the apartment next to me smokes like a chimney. Now, the reason I know this, is that every night when I come home from work, my place smells of cigarette smoke. This is an old Victorian converted into aptmnts, so the walls between us are not particularly solid. There's a big closet between his place and mine, with gaps under doors etc.

Am I 'smoking crack' to think that perhaps his smoking is rubbing off on me? I've found plenty of stuff online about the dangers of immediate second hand smoking, but this is a little further removed and obscure for me to find anything.

Weird post I know. I'm turning into a hypochondriac in my old age.

I dont have anything against smokers btw. I used to myself a long time ago.

Replies

• McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Probebly more to do with age then anything old timer wink.gif
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    If you've been exposed to it there's definitly a chance it'd have an affect on you. Exposure to smoke (yours or this guys) causes the alveoli in your lungs to not expand as much. Breathing harder could put pressure on them and could have this effect. If you're concerned about it, wouldn't it be better to talk to a doctor than listen to the vast medical knowledge of a bunch of modelers?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just the fact that you "used to" probably contributes to the sore lungs phenomena greatly. Additionally, you live in SoCal, a state notorious for is air pollution, which isn't exactly great for lungs either. When you work out, you breath in through the mouth & out through the nose yes?

Perhaps you're mildly asthmatic?

And yeah, you're as old as the hills, so worry not gramps! Can't be young forever!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wouldn't it be better to talk to a doctor than listen to the vast medical knowledge of a bunch of modelers?

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but I guess I'd feel like kind of an idiot for asking. Wait, you're all making me feel that way anyway! :-)
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    DAZ!..... I was in the same exact situation.

I've been living in my Apt. for 2.5 years, and for the long while an old woman lived on the other side of my wall. Under my sink was a hole that connected into the walls. Her nasty ass Butt smoke would leak into my apartment time to time. Thank goodness it was rare. But i started to loose my patience and did something about it.

Mckinley Apartments sent a guy to patch up the hole (giant gapping section that was just missing) under the sink.

That didnt help. Smoke came in through the hallway under the doors with enough space to keep giant rats from entering, barely.

Then they agreed to install an Ozone machine in her apartment. Good!... I hope that ozone machine is as big as a fridge and falls on the bitch. But to my luck, she was only days away from moving out. Total coincedence! Now shes gone, and so is her nasty ass butt smoke too. (the stuff really did smell like burning 100 year old shit)

Where was i going with this.. oh yeah.

So I had enough with smelling it and the effect on my heath was concerning me. I may have been more tired, but most obviously it was effecting my mental health. I was constantly worring about it potentially effecting my health and not doing anything. It wasnt direct second hand smoke. It was more like residual smoke. Maybe thats what your talking about DAZ. I never researched anything on it. But any smoke felt like too much smoke.

I got lucky though, my problem moved away. However I was just weeks away from dropping the F'ing hammer and finding a new apartment. Yeap just because of an old hag who smoked her dung pipe.

If you dont like the smoke at all and it concerns your health, just move. Or murder your neighbor. Gotta make yourself #1. :F
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: I have the very same problem with my lungs, and it isn't asthma either. I'm an athlete and I try to stay away from smoke as much as possible. None of my family has ever had the bad habbit, and I've pretty much grown up completely away from the stuff. Not to mention that it sickens me whenever I am near smoke.

After a heavy workout (Normally sprinting (State Highschool Track)) even on warm, dry days I would get this burning in my lungs. I went to see a my doctor and he checked for asthma, and even sports enduced asthma. Said I didn't have it, but gave me an albuterol inhaler anyways (which Washington State Track bans, so who knows if it would have helped). What it mounted up to in the end was me not getting enough water in my system. I was dehydrated. The more I drank in preparation, during, and afterwards, the less the feeling was there. It felt as if I was getting a dry mouth... all the way down into my lungs.

Yet I still get it even when I think I'm competely hydrated sometimes. I think its just a fact of getting in shape.

[ QUOTE ]
    Exposure to smoke (yours or this guys) causes the alveoli in your lungs to not expand as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it looks like you took SOME human phys, or at least know a fair bit about biology to make a statement as such. The commoner would look at alveoli and think its some Italian dish with meat stuffed inside some thick pasta.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

yeah Daz, the neighbours in london used to smoke a lot of weed and I could smell it though the walls, but there was no actual smoke seeping through , just a faint wiff.

mmmmm alveoli smile.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i used to smoke back in high school, only with friends tho for maybe 2 years, so a social smoker. Once I saw my friend hack up blood one day, it was over in high school. never smoked since.

2nd hand smoking is definately not good for non-smokers. I'm surprised people smoke still with the price of cigarettes today at $6!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    smoking for all its evil's is fun though. I started again recently, but it was a kind of nostalgia thing, so have quit again
    Also ciggys are around 6 pounds for 20 in the uk.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    my mother smokes like a chimney and on those 6 hours long car trips when we were with air conditioning in the car she decided to lit a fag and entoxicates us all and forbid us to open the windows, so hm...yeah..kinda ffects you.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    If you're continuously inhaling smoke from this guy, then I'm betting it's getting to your health, at least a little. Could you close windows and doors when gone? I'd hate it simply for the fact that the smoke leaves this thin layer of disgusting grime on walls and such.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There's no medical proof that says 2nd hand smoke kills (only assumptions and guesses).

I would not doubt though, that the chemicals are in fact affecting you to some degree. Cadmium, Arsenic, etc - all of that stuff can have adverse affects even in small doses.

Staying there and breathing second hand smoke won't kill you - but you obviously won't feel your best, unfortuneatly.

I started smoking when I was 13, only socially (weekends). I started smoking regularly when I was 18, quit for a year when I was 24. Smoked again when I was 25, then quit this past March.

Not smoking is great, but I always miss it. Not only do I smell better though, EVERYTHING smells better. I can taste food and beverage more clearly, or pick up a subtle scent of perfume on the air. I have more stamina and edurance, and can wake up without having to yack up some phlem.

Don't worry Daz, you'll live smile.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's no medical proof that says 2nd hand smoke kills (only assumptions and guesses).

...Staying there and breathing second hand smoke won't kill you - but you obviously won't feel your best, unfortuneatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not feeling your best being around 2nd hand smoke is PROOF enough for me. Smoke doesnt belong in human lungs.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    More exactly, your lungs aren't meant for dealing with dust particles in the air. Which is what smoke is.

I know I always get a sick feeling when inhaling smoke. Makes me want to puke. I'm also a non-smoker with zero tolerance for smokers (many of whom seem to think lighting up their bundle o'stench is a constitutional right). I wouldn't open a bottle of butter acid near other people, I expect them to have the same courtesy.

And really, if you ever had to clean out the insides of a machine that stood in a smokers' office you wouldn't even consider smoking.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Stuff a towel under your adjoining door to help keep it from coming in. I'm a smoker but I've been a non smoker so I know how much it stinks. Vassago's right though there's no proof that second hand smoke kills, just a bunch of padded EPA numbers but it's still unpleasant.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your lungs are just like any other part of your body. The more you use them the more they break down and build back up. just like if you are trying to get your muscles bigger you need to tear them down (they hurt for a while) and then build them back up. Your lungs are no different. I'm sure the smoke is not helping things and mixxed with your obvious paranoia about 2nd hand smoke I'm sure they are being illritated more when you get home after a workout.

But honestly you are more than likely forcing your lungs to work in ways they had not previously. They are having to meet demands now that you are working out that they never hand to meet sitting on your ass. You are ripping your lungs apart on a very tiny level so they can expand and grow new areas to pull in oxogen. Its like breaking your shin bones and pinning them in place just a fraction of an inch apart so it can grow back making you taller. No imagine trying to stand on those legs before they are ready to hold weight.

And you wonder why your lung hurt... =P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Im wondering what is your designation about no proof about second hand smoke Vassago and Sledgy. What constitutes the smoking gun to you? I did a quick search on google.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=second+ha...:en-US:official

Barring the tobacco supported reasearch, there seems to be a good consensus of the reasearch that it is harmful with case examples and showing the increased tumor occurence.

In fact, I then even went to Wikipedia.. "the most recent studies confirm the health risks." It then goes on to list the research in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondhand_smoke
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It also depends on what level of 2nd hand smoke you are taking in. Sniffing the old jacket of some guy that quit smoking 2 years ago doesn't count. Most of the subjective studies that try to prove it isn't harful use cases like I just mentioned.
    "so in our study we brought Bob in and had Bob smoke half a cig and then leave the room. 3 weeks later we walked Judy thru the same room and low and behold she does not have cancer!"

I think the SMELL of ciggerettes can more damaging to a persons mental health than any amount of second hand smoke they actually take in. The media needs to be more careful and not over sensationalize cancer and 2nd hand smoke. "Oh god I saw a guy on TV smoking, I feel a lump! I can't breath... THUD!"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your lungs are just like any other part of your body. The more you use them the more they break down and build back up. just like if you are trying to get your muscles bigger you need to tear them down (they hurt for a while) and then build them back up. Your lungs are no different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you perchance bash your head into a wall to become smarter?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your lungs are just like any other part of your body. The more you use them the more they break down and build back up. just like if you are trying to get your muscles bigger you need to tear them down (they hurt for a while) and then build them back up. Your lungs are no different. I'm sure the smoke is not helping things and mixxed with your obvious paranoia about 2nd hand smoke I'm sure they are being illritated more when you get home after a workout.

But honestly you are more than likely forcing your lungs to work in ways they had not previously. They are having to meet demands now that you are working out that they never hand to meet sitting on your ass. You are ripping your lungs apart on a very tiny level so they can expand and grow new areas to pull in oxogen. Its like breaking your shin bones and pinning them in place just a fraction of an inch apart so it can grow back making you taller. No imagine trying to stand on those legs before they are ready to hold weight.

And you wonder why your lung hurt... =P

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, thanks for that. I never realised that I'd be pushing my lungs when it came to vigorous exercise!

Of course I'm aware of that. But like I said, it's also compounded by knowledge that my apartment permanently smells of smoke, and the guy next door smokes perpetually and there are obvious gaps between the two apartments. It's an old building, made of WOOD.

"Obvious paranoia about 2nd hand smoke"? How about its bloody obvious that his cigarette smoke is creeping into my apartment? Why is that such a stretch? Do you work for Phillip Morris or something?

Anyway, thanks for the comments all.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im wondering what is your designation about no proof about second hand smoke Vassago and Sledgy. What constitutes the smoking gun to you? I did a quick search on google.

Barring the tobacco supported reasearch, there seems to be a good consensus of the reasearch that it is harmful with case examples and showing the increased tumor occurence.

In fact, I then even went to Wikipedia.. "the most recent studies confirm the health risks." It then goes on to list the research in question.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it please the court , I would direct your attention to Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" on Showtime who make a compelling argument in interviews with the EPA and other 3rd-party research about the second-hand smoke issue being a "cash cow" in that statistics have been padded or outright falsified in order to terrorize the general public, and thereby securing nicely-paid positions at the EPA.

Many will claim that second-hand smoke causes just as much risk of cancer as first-hand smoking. I've had larger doses of carcinogens waiting for the light to turn green. Life sucks - nobody gets out alive. I agree smoking is bad. Next witness.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In your google search at the top, this was the first hit in the list.

http://www.davehitt.com/facts/index.html
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually look again at the scholary studies above that ostrich. Im sorry, I have a bit more faith in wikipedia and research results than someone with a blog and knowledge of how to optimize google hits.

Sledgy, do you have a link to that particlar "media" show, you know, the same media as that is glamorizing this. How old was it and did it concluded that there was no health hazard at all, or simply it was being overemphasized?

EDIT: Just happened to find it on.. once again good ol wikipedia.

[ QUOTE ]
    The Skeptic's Dictionary's author originally sided with Penn and Teller, but switched sides after further investigation into the studies. The author had concluded that the studies were biased, and after having found this, decided that secondhand smoking does have negative effects on people. [6]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    sledgy, Penn and Teller's Bullshit show is bullshit, every show it's blatantly obvious they are not fully exploring both sides of the argument, but rather having extremely convincing arguments from one side, and extremely bad arguments on the other. One big blatant example of this is their show on the arguments for or against bio-engineered crops. They interviewed a bunch of very articulate scientists that were in favor of them, and a bunch of stoned out of their brain new-age hippies as the opposition. Granted the show sometimes does point out the "correct" side, using an episode as valid evidence...doesn't work.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Many will claim that second-hand smoke causes just as much risk of cancer as first-hand smoking. I've had larger doses of carcinogens waiting for the light to turn green. Life sucks - nobody gets out alive. I agree smoking is bad. Next witness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, the old 'were all gonna die anyway' argument smile.gif Pretty much negates the point of discussing any health issues in this forum doesn't it? Wait, it negates the need to discuss anything at all!

Listen, I'm not crying from the rooftops that the bloke next door is gonna give me cancer here. I was simply wondering if having a very heavy smoker in close proximity might adversely affect me, that's all. Clearly none of us here can categorically prove it or disprove it either way. It's simply up to me to decide wether or not i feel it concerns me enough to move or take action. I regret starting the thread, but thanks again.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    "I've had larger doses of carcinogens waiting for the light to turn green".

Yup! Everything causes cancer, or is carcinogenic.
    Remember the GARGANTUAN fight that went on over artificial sweetners and how they "without a doubt" cause cancer? The guy who did that test for the government works for IGT now. They had to pump rats with the equivelant of nearly 60,000 packets per month, for over a year, to generate those results. I don't care how much freakin diet soda you drink - you couldn't consume 60,000 packets a YEAR if you tried, let a lone per month.

The EPA is full of ass, as are the tobacco companies (or ANY corporation for that matter). The fact is, second hand smoke is ASSUMED to cause cancer and other diseases. There's absolutely no medical proof. Is it good for you then? Hell no. It's loaded with crap. But that doesn't mean you're going to get cancer from it.

The only thing you can do is stay away from it. In your case, Daz, perhaps asking him to keep his windows open when he's chain smoking?

And yes KDR, smoking IS a constitutional right. Your right to breath is the same as their right to smoke. But, I won't assume I know how Germany's consitution works.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well, according to the Surgeon General one whiff of second-hand smoke increases the risks of heart disease, lung cancer, and other smoking-related illnesses so effectively one whiff of second-hand smoke could KILL YOU!!1 since it "gets the cancer process rolling" (I'm paraphrasing of course). Maybe I should just keep smoking since after 22 years of it I don't have any smoking related illnesses and am healthier than most of my non-smoking peers. Good logic. That Surgeon General's a real smarty.

Ok aside from "Bullshit" here's some good arguments: (Thanks Ostrich)

Actually wait...arguing with you oxynary is like beating the side of my head against a brick wall while squirting salt water in my eyes and simultaneously biting my tongue. Look at the link Ostrich posted and read through it. Or keep on bleating. Who gives a fuck?

BTW, Wikipedia is written by "Joe Schmuckatelli", not necessarily scholars - just like the rest of the Internets.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's absolutely no medical proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

All those research papers linked on wikipedia that are newer than the EPA report being used as the basis as disproof here, and are not corporately sponsored. I mean what more proof do you want? Would locking you in a room with second hand smoke blowing in constantly for two weeks and measuring your vital signs be enough?

I will stop now before once again I go overboard, but geezuz, do you guys understand reason as it applies to the scientific method? Everything that science does is a continual process of refinement. The theory of relativity is a theory. But we sure seem to still be able to use it.

Otherwise to be frank its like the 3 monkeys covering their mouth, eyes, and ears.

Edit: Sledgy, that site does not take into account the newer research AND wikipedia links to research papers. Like I say, what more do you want?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realize I came off like I was talking to a toddler, sorry if I insulted anyone but everyone was starting to get all spun out and Judging by Daz's posts he was starting to worry. I figured I could bring it back to what might really be causing the burning in his lungs, exersise, duh. I even said I'm pretty sure the smoke isn't helping but really its not like he has a roomate or parent that is smoking right in his face.

I'm not Daz,
    I'm not Daz's lungs,
    I'm not Daz's neighbor,
    I haven't been to the same state Daz lives in,
    I'm not a Dr,
    I'm just a guy that felt like everyone in this thread was starting to side tracked and starting to spin Daz out. He needed a good slap across the face, much like KDR but hes a cock monger and no amount of beating will change that. Theres hope for Daz tho...

Daz, I know what you are going thru, I lived in an apt for 5 years where my downstairs neigbors and the neighbors across the hall smoked like crazy. My a close friend from highschool/college had a mother that chain smoked since he was a baby. There is a HUGE differance between being in a home where someone is smoking and being across the hall or next door from someone that is smoking. It drove me nuts because people would ask if I started smoking, I would explain and they would nod knowing what I was going through, I wasn't alone, your situation is not unique.

Talk to your neighbors see if they are as concerned as you are, chances are if even two of you go to the landlord something will happen. Smelling smoke is not the same as breathing 2nd hand smoke. What you are smelling is more like 3rd-4th hand. Yes you should move or bring it up to the land lord but don't jump my shit because you asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer.

Honestly it was as smart as asking "my nose hurts when I pick it, is it the dogs fault?"

If it bothers you do something about it, don't post in fustration hoping your landlord reads the forums.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    jeez its not often something I read here really steams me up but its happening.. My mum works as a physiotherapist in a cancer ward, and its damn certain that a lot of it is caused by smoking. Now if smoke in the persons lungs who is smoking can fuck them up, how exactly is it magically going to be fresh as a daisy when they spit it out into the air and someone else breathes it in? Maybe you can be smart and say well it all dilutes in the air, but in any enclosed space you're going to be breathing it over and over. Why exactly is it more and more public places are banning smoking?

Roy castle, trumpet player- non smoker who played for years in smokey jazz clubs. died of lung cancer.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I realize I came off like I was talking to a toddler, sorry if I insulted anyone but everyone was starting to get all spun out and Judging by Daz's posts he was starting to worry. I figured I could bring it back to what might really be causing the burning in his lungs, exersise, duh. I even said I'm pretty sure the smoke isn't helping but really its not like he has a roomate or parent that is smoking right in his face.

I'm not Daz,
    I'm not Daz's lungs,
    I'm not Daz's neighbor,
    I haven't been to the same state Daz lives in,
    I'm not a Dr,
    I'm just a guy that felt like everyone in this thread was starting to side tracked and starting to spin Daz out. He needed a good slap across the face, much like KDR but hes a cock monger and no amount of beating will change that. Theres hope for Daz tho...

Daz, I know what you are going thru, I lived in an apt for 5 years where my downstairs neigbors and the neighbors across the hall smoked like crazy. My a close friend from highschool/college had a mother that chain smoked since he was a baby. There is a HUGE differance between being in a home where someone is smoking and being across the hall or next door from someone that is smoking. It drove me nuts because people would ask if I started smoking, I would explain and they would nod knowing what I was going through, I wasn't alone, your situation is not unique. Talk to your neighbors see if they are as concerned as you are, chances are if even two of you go to the land lord something will happen. Smelling smoke is not the same as breathing 2nd hand smoke. What you are smelling is more like 3rd-4th hand. Yes you should move or bring it up to the land lord but don't jump my shit because you asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer.

Honestly it was as smart as asking "my nose hurts when I pick it, is it the dogs fault?"

If it bothers you do something about it, don't post in fustration hoping your landlord reads the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

jump your shit eh? What a charming expression. I'll have to remember that. I 'jumped your shit' because I don't particularly enjoy being spoken to like an idiot for no apparent reason. So yeah, the post was an error. Before your enlightening little addition back there, you'll note that I already stated that i regretted the thread, fuck you very much.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Having a bad day there Vig? Curious to know why you deleted the fucktard and dumbass comments. If that's how you really feel, have the conviction to leave them up there. Like I give a flying fuck If you don't like me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just trying to put it simple terms sorry you came off looking like a toddler. I'll toss in a few big words to wow KDR next time. It seemed like you just didn't get it, or where trying to blame your problem on the dog.

My grandmother and grandfather on my dads side died of lung cancer, they quit in thier early 50's but it wasn't soon enough. I remember going to see my grandpa after they removed one of his lungs I promised him I would never smoke and I have kept that promise. I ask people around me not to smoke. I live in washington state and fully support the no smoking bans. Somkers have the right to smoke but not around non smokers. I know what the hell cancer does to a person and a family. I also know worrying about cancer can be more damaging than actually breathing 2nd hand smoke. It won't help you to freak out about it and not do anything.

Really people in the US are all freaked out about 2nd hand smoke but do they care about gun control at all? There are bigger issues that kill people faster than cancer lets get our priorities in order and solve them in order.

If you really are bothered by it and think its a serrious impact to your health, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, move, talk to your neighbors, go to the landlord. Landlords don't like having smokers in thier units as its hard to get that smell out and its hard to rerent the place once it is fouled.

Sorry I talked down to ya, relax and lay off the F-Bombs buddy.

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Since when has it been a crime around here to use GD to ask people for thoughts before acting on something?

Note to self: never again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, and its common to ask stupid questions in GD, and then get stupid answers and get mad at the person giving the answer becuase you feel stupid for asking the question in the first place. It's 90% of forums thanks for proving PC isn't any different. laugh.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Whether or not a question is stupid is entirely subjective.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it just seems like you hit an issue with a lot of emotions attatched to it smile.gif. If you look hard enough there are some useful suggestions burried in there..
    edit: whats the saying? the only stupid questions are ones you don't ask?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My arms hurt when I do curls, then when I go home and lift boxes my arms hurt more, why is that?
    Yeah thats not a dumb question at all...

The only stupid questions are the ones you have the answers to already but still ask.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, agreed. That is a stupid question. I don't recall asking that one.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't approve of second hand smoke BTW. Someone sitting down in a restaurant and asking "mind if I smoke?" is like someone sitting down and asking "mind if I fart?" I don't smoke inside except at bars - and most bars now treat their smoking patrons like second class citizens - all because of a few fat douchebags who like to dictate how people should live. Ah well.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Whether or not a question is stupid is entirely subjective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wether you're actually being talked down to is subjective also. I wasn't trying to treat you like a toddler, I was just trying to make my point as clear as possible. I'll aplogize one more time your highness, I'm sorry.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Er, wtf is wrong with you?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You just rubbed me the wrong way with your I didn't make a stupid post, oh wait yes I did, no I didn't attitude. It's also a sore subject with me.

Last time I say it, if it bothers you do something about it.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i dont care if someone smokes or not but dad smoked from age 14(i think he said) until just this year when he had disks in his neck fused and a plate put in, 40 years give or take a couple. i went to college and got away from the smoking. after a while i got to the point where if i was anywhere near his smoking i had to stop and literally catch my breath, still am that way. it's like i hit a wall and have to stop to recover. if second hand smoke causes cancer, doesnt matter when i cant breathe around it anyway. tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    it just seems like you hit an issue with a lot of emotions attatched to it smile.gif. If you look hard enough there are some useful suggestions burried in there..
    edit: whats the saying? the only stupid questions are ones you don't ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently so. Politics? Religion? No, second hand smoking is where its at, wtf.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if you do something that jeopardizes other people, smoking, etc, and you dont give a damn its simply uncivilized. But if the "victim" doesnt mind then oh well. in daz case the neighbour or doesnt understand that the shit that he vaporizes from his mouth gets carried in the air therefor into other people lungs ; or is simply rude/uncivilized:
    im not against people smoking , do i find it filthy ? yes . But everyone has their own choices.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try being 9 and watching your grandparents die one after another. My grandpa took 6mo from the time he was diagnosed to his last breath. You look into his eyes and see he has so much to tell you and can't because there is a tube down his throat, even if the tube was out he wouldn't have the lung power to push the words out. You be 9 and imagine what it must be like to be him. You be 9 and try to understand he won't get better and you won't be able to go over to his house, or he won't be around to take you fishing any more.

Some how religion and politics just don't seem to stack up.

But its cool you just stay there and don't do anything about it. And really you should read over my posts buddy I wasn't the one who freaked out and started dropping F bombs.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK Vig, this is starting to seriously fucking piss me off. I'm sorry for your loss, I really genuinely am. I lost all my grandparents to heart disease when I was young.

But why you're continuing to direct your rage at me over this thing is totally baffling. I never for a minute said I wasn't going to act on this. I was simply asking people what they thought first. That kinda happens a lot on GD ya know? That was *apparently* yes, a HUGE FUCKING HEINOUS monumental error on my part. I truly do honestly regret starting this thread, OK? I'm dumb. I'm clearly a fucktard with a low IQ. I asked a stupid question. OK? OK?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your lungs are just like any other part of your body. The more you use them the more they break down and build back up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...or NOT! The lungs are not muscle tissue, which rebuild and strengthen with use. They are also not bone tissue, which is rebuilt and absorbed constantly in a process involving osteoclasts and osteoblasts. The damage done to the elasticity of your lungs from exposure to tobacco smoke is irreversible. Thanks for playing.

Daz, go get a physical before doing any serious workout routines. Perhaps it's just age and lack of endurance. And try to find cleaner air. Smokers are disgusting to be around. Try using a computer from someone who smokes. The air pathway and surfaces are all clogged with dirt and sticky yellow goo. Like your lungs.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    "The surgeon general warns that reading all the posts in this thread may be hazardous to your health"