second hand smoke (odd post sorry)

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your lungs are just like any other part of your body. The more you use them the more they break down and build back up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...or NOT! The lungs are not muscle tissue, which rebuild and strengthen with use. They are also not bone tissue, which is rebuilt and absorbed constantly in a process involving osteoclasts and osteoblasts. The damage done to the elasticity of your lungs from exposure to tobacco smoke is irreversible. Thanks for playing.

Daz, go get a physical before doing any serious workout routines. Perhaps it's just age and lack of endurance. And try to find cleaner air. Smokers are disgusting to be around. Try using a computer from someone who smokes. The air pathway and surfaces are all clogged with dirt and sticky yellow goo. Like your lungs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange, I heard that the lungs could heal themselves, That if you stop smoking within 7 years they'll be fine again. Something like that. However things like lung cancer won't just go away.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And yes KDR, smoking IS a constitutional right. Your right to breath is the same as their right to smoke. But, I won't assume I know how Germany's consitution works.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was "no smoking" signs would be illegal. That's what I mean, some fuckwad standing in front of a "no smoking" sign and lighting one after another.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't smoke inside except at bars - and most bars now treat their smoking patrons like second class citizens - all because of a few fat douchebags who like to dictate how people should live. Ah well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's warranted considering the additional cleanup costs smokers cause. The ashes won't always end up in the ashtray, the yellow stain on everything cannot be removed again (believe me, I tried. After ten or twenty towels the surface didn't change one bit while all the towels were a nasty yellow). There's also the issue of other patrons being annoyed by the smoke. Sure you could make it a nonsmoking bar but noone wants to start with that in a town where smoking is allowed in every bar due to the revenue losses.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just spent a week in ireland/n.ireland, and the few days i spent in dublin were absolute heaven as far as pubs went. No smoking, still packed to the brim.
    You go home and your clothes and hair don't smell like a tobacco factory.
    I'm one of those guys that can get incredibly worked up over someone lighting a cigarette when i'm eating, and i was just very pleasantly surprised to see that everyone in Dublin just followed the rules without making a fuss about it.
    And i must say i only now realise how affected my sense of smell was while i was living with my mother (who smokes. a lot), it's improved a lot since i started living on my own. Also, everytime i go back home, i'm just so much more disgusted by the smell there than i ever was.

And i don't think you should refrain from posting stuff like this, Daz. Sure it might be a touchy subject for some, but you were only posting out of concern over your health, which is fair enough, i should say.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i used to smoke, im glad i gave up two years ago. now it didnt annoy me when i smoked (obviously), but when youve given up its even worse, and i cant wait for pubs to be smoke freezones, although i dothink that smoking members clubs should be allowed, for those that really want to harm themselves.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's what I mean, some fuckwad standing in front of a "no smoking" sign and lighting one after another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, that IS f'd up then. When I smoked, I went out of my way to not bother people with it.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Many will claim that second-hand smoke causes just as much risk of cancer as first-hand smoking. I've had larger doses of carcinogens waiting for the light to turn green. Life sucks - nobody gets out alive. I agree smoking is bad. Next witness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, the old 'were all gonna die anyway' argument smile.gif Pretty much negates the point of discussing any health issues in this forum doesn't it? Wait, it negates the need to discuss anything at all!

Listen, I'm not crying from the rooftops that the bloke next door is gonna give me cancer here. I was simply wondering if having a very heavy smoker in close proximity might adversely affect me, that's all. Clearly none of us here can categorically prove it or disprove it either way. It's simply up to me to decide wether or not i feel it concerns me enough to move or take action. I regret starting the thread, but thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't mean to say that I think you were getting all worked up over getting cancer from second hand smoke - just certain others wink.gif This has been a hot political topic since the EPA 'report' came out ...i can remember smoking while at my workstation at work. And before anyone goes off half-cocked, everyone at my job smoked. It was a very small hardware house. Smoking wasn't a prerequisite or encouraged/discouraged or anything, it was just so common around where I lived that it was unusual for someone to not smoke.

And the "no-one gets out alive" comment wasn't meant to say that it's pointless to argue, I just meant that there are so many things that I enjoy that so many little social dictators just cannot abide by - such as pork chops, beef, whole full-octane milk, real cheese, BUTTER, fried chicken, bacon, being out in the sun without sunblock (gasp), changing lanes without using my turn signal, smoking tobacco, eating magic mushrooms, acid, ecstacy, drinking too much, staying out too late, not saying my prayers, etc. etc. My point is in the end, we all turn out exactly the same: dead smile.gif So why not do what we like to do and not necessarily what someone else would like us to do while we're alive?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    No idea if second hand smoke has any risk of severe damage (it has some effect if you're constantly subjected to it, those nicotine stains aren't going to magically avoid your lungs) but it stinks and I know I wouldn't like it if my home constantly stunk like that. Quality of life issue. Noise has no direct effect on you but it causes long term psychological damage, I'd believe it's the same with stench.