Home General Discussion

What brought you to polycount / #md

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I used to hang in Gamesnet's #models, which was larger just counter-strike oriented. I lost my liking of CS after b5.5 (until CSS), so I came to check out Polycount's IRC room.

I haven't been there in some time now, though.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    quake 3 world.com guided me here wink.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I was keeping gaming PCs updated with new content and in working order for a store that rented out time on them. I came across polycount a few times when I was looking for cool PPMs. One day years later I somehow ended up on the site, and clicked on the forum link.

Polycount was really my first forum experience. Even though I was frustrated at times (that nobody would recognize my uberleet skillz!), I have kept at it and have kept coming back.
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    I was learning to texture in 2000, and had come to Polycount for textures and models earlier without noticing the forums. I came back to find help and saw the forums link; got a bit hooked smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I believe you posted progress shots when you were making the crash skin HO.
    Harl and I both recognized the nick chiQ is a possible female poster and immediately started turning on the charm!

Turns out the skin was an absolute badass, remarkably well done effort.

So we came off looking pretty good smile.gif
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orahlith polycounter lvl 17
    I was trying to find info on creating textures and stumbled across this forum.

I'm still looking on that texture thing. ><
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    5 years ago to learn how to make player character/models + textures for games.

Ever since the release of quake3test_1.05!?

Stopped by model design twice.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, this thread is a great read. laugh.gif

I came here back in 2002 after starting to model for Dungeon Siege. I was directed here by someone at the Planet Dungeon Siege boards, who must've relized that I needed some real bashing and critiques cause my models suck(ed).

Been here on and off with different names since, bugging the hell out of everyone. laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i was originally browsing Telefragged for models nad skins for Q2. asherr showed me q2pmp but i liked the telefragged layout better than q2pmp :O

first forum memory is getting involved in some silly arugment about Dungeons and Dragons.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I honestly have no idea, because I know that I knew about Polycount before I ever came here. I was looking for a forum to get involved on, and I saw polycount and remembered the name....... from somewhere, but damned if I know how
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Dan Bickell, Jeff Garstecki and the golden age of Q2PMP. Good times smile.gif
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    i missed out on the golden age of Q2PMP. Actually i first joined the forums maybe a few weeks after they changed cuz i saw Q2PMP being mentioned by everyone ALOT. I was looking for a way to make my own Quake 2 models though. Got pointed to Planetquake, then i clicked something by accident and got to Polycount.

I invaded the chatroom and embarressed myself more than a few times being a n00b frown.gif but I LOVE this place and have enjoyed wasted my time here even if I am not productive. I have made so many friends over the past few years. I can't imagine going back to a world without all of you.

Thank you R13. You have made the biggest impact in my life that i can think of.
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I believe you posted progress shots when you were making the crash skin HO.
    Harl and I both recognized the nick chiQ is a possible female poster and immediately started turning on the charm!

Turns out the skin was an absolute badass, remarkably well done effort.

So we came off looking pretty good smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah! Yes, chiQ was originally a tongue-in-cheek nick, designed to take the mickey out of the grrl gamer movement, but my friends liked it so I stuck with it.

HO/H2O is still my favourite of my own pieces. I think I learned more in that thread than in the entire six months leading up to it thumbup.gif
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    looking for q2 and q3 model stuff back then as well, the reason for joing the forum was mostly ever evil ejaculating EarthQuake.
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    I was browsing portfolio's of several artists. One of them had a model in his portfolio which he made for the 'polycount challenge'. I searched for 'polycount' on google, thats how I got here.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    <--- Complete and Utter Fault of Earthquake --

He happened upon some crappy q3 recolors I did...asked me to join up with a few guys to work on the UrbanTerror mod (not sure it even had a name at the time)...and pointed me in the direction of Polycount. Back in that day, having one's art critiqued was comparable to having surgery without anesthesia. smile.gif