Home General Discussion

Give yourself advice ten years ago

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Ten years ago, I was 14, and just getting into computers. I would definately tell myself to start sketching and drawing. I didn't start till college, and even then it was half hearted. I'd also tell myself to get into modding games, as I had all the tools to do it, but I didn't even know it was possible. I always wonder where I'd be artistically with those extra years of practice behind my belt.

What advice would you give yourself ten years ago?

poop.gif

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Don't marry that psycho bitch!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    let's see i was 16
    stop moping or do something about it, get some friggin self confidence, get some books and draw your ass off cause you've all the time in the world in highschool, yes you can really make games for a living if you try, get your friggin driver's liscence, write some COMPLETE stories, stop being indecisive.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    no advice to be given in all honesty.

some hard decisions in the last ten years but not doing one thing would have led to something else, and visa versa, so maybe it's better this way.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Learn a real programming language. And there are tutorials for all kinds of objects, try those instead of trying to figure out how to model just from knowing how to place vertices and polygons. Oh and don't be scared by the interface of Max, that can be learned.

And learn how to amuse yourself with alcohol and loud music, both sucks and makes you feel sick but you aren't going to meet anyone without pretending to enjoy either one.

Wait, ten years ago I was ten years old. I'd send that advice back to maybe 2000, not 1996. As a ten year old I couldn't really use any of that. The only advice I'd send back to 1996 is "There is such a thing as Heavy Metal, look into it".
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I wasn't at an age to be taking art advice ten years ago, so I'll leech off of all of yours. smile.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't marry that psycho bitch!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I would say to myself "You really are never too old to learn, don't give up because you don't 'get it' strait away". I was just getting my first PC back then, purely as a hobby. I just wish I'd gotten into the internet earlier.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Do not talk to Poopinmymouth.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    the winning Powerball numbers for October 1996 are:

10/23/1996 9 24 27 31 34 18
    10/26/1996 4 17 19 25 37 19
    10/30/1996 10 13 19 37 43 45
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ten years ago I had been doing pre-rendered 3D for awhile but was just starting real-time 3D, so same advice as you Poop, wish I had gotten into modding sooner. I would've learned much faster.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I'd tell myself to buy property in London before I left, and to lead less of a life stuck in front of a computer.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    yup , i wish i had taken the plunge and tryed to learn game art about 4 - 5 years before i did. If i had done that i would be so much better at what i do now ... but they do say youth is waisted on the young. or somthing. You have been in the industry ages ben and your 6 years younger than me ... i waisted too much time.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Work harder, screw around less. Go to college, and backup your data daily...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Sell your Macintosh and get a PC and go to polycount. Major in painting instead of graphic design. Also get some exercise and drink less, older Jeff will thank you.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'd tell myself 'Keep at it, it's going to work'

r.
  • Dravalen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only advice I'd send back to 1996 is "There is such a thing as Heavy Metal, look into it".

[/ QUOTE ]

\m/ Rock on!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Oh damn you old people always letting us young apart frown.gif whats the fun on this thread if ten years ago i was just 8? at that age i didn't even think.. god!

If now you asked me what would be my advise some years later, when i started 3d (can't really remember when it was) i'd said start learning anatomy, drawing, and start modeling characters sooner.

Seems that most of you would like to start modding sonner, might that that advise to me and start working on something more serious. I was about to start my own thing a month later, then gave up dunno why lol. Perhaps i'll give it a try now =)

oh and the most serious advise i'd give myself when i start Cg was to forget about Threedy foruns and move to Polycount and Cgchat ones. shocked.gif
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    spend lots more time with naked girls... for anatomy and figure study, of course

oh and dont get into any relationships deeper than casual dating

and remember, everything you hear and read, there is a chance it's wrong

and draw more I guess
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Listen to poopinmymouth.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I was 8, enjoy life and make no decisions yet. Keep up with the uni dream and it will happen.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Lets see, I was 9...

I would tell myself to quit eating so many peanut butter sandwiches because I'm gonna get really fat and suffer fat kid trauma for the rest of my elementry school days and the early part of my junior high days.

I would also tell myself to not go to Bradley Academy in 9 years.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Honestly, I would have told myself to stay at Neversoft the first time around and collect all that stock money from the Activision buyout. smile.gif

Then listen to poopinmymouth.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    id tell my 7 year old self to stop wearing knee high socks and flannel shirts.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    "When Mr Jackson asks you to come over to his place for a party say yes, then tell everyone he put his fingers in you"

On a more serious note as daz said property prices have doubled in the uk within the last 10 years, though i might find it difficult paying a mortgage considering i would only be 11.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I was 16, and wouldn't touch a PC for another 2 years. At that time, I was more concerned with getting high than anything else frown.gif

I'd tell myself never to smoke. Pay more attention in school. Work my imagination more.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh damn you old people always letting us young apart frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Um yeah.....what he said. Whatever that was.

Oh yeah, and what Jeffro said, and listen to Poop!
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    If I would have told myself to listen to "poopinmymouth" I would guffaw and then hit myself.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I was 16, I'd tell myself I wasn't fat and half the girls in school had a crush on me. I wasted my whole childhood stressing out about my portfolio.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I would have said, pick up lightwave, even though its interface is strange, oh and spend the cash get that quake model setup program for LW and do something with it, forget the film industry, games are where its at for you. Get your drawing skills in order, take more time!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I would say, stop playing with it. Get a girlfriend. Draw more, and don't lose all the drawings you made. Don't let high school keep you from accomplishing your goals.

I was 13.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I was 33.
    I wish I had told myself to start watering the foundation of your house more often so you won't have to pay for foundation repairs ten years from now, dammit!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    if it were 20 years, I'd tell myself to punch certain kids in school, would have made those years a bit easier.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Lessee here... I was 15 at the time, soooo..
    - Don't worry about the depression, kiddo, it's just a side affect from the diabetes
    - and speaking of the diabetes, don't let monitoring it slip, hospital visits aren't fun
    - Get ready to enjoy driving, you'll love every minute of it!
    - Contrary to what your parents think, spending so much time working on / in front of computers will actually pay off
    - DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, start restoring that damn Barracuda, just wait, dad might stop bs'ing and eventually pay to have it restored instead of you having to spend all your time on it laugh.gif
    - Hang out with your friends who do metalwork more often, it's a real fun hobby

smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    14. Lets see.
    -Don't waste time. Get going on your artwork. Learn to draw and don't squander your sculpting skills.
    -Don't be swayed by people who say that maths is important. Its completely useless and you know it.
    -Yes, the girls are pretty but they're not interested in you. Focus on your art.
    -When you finish school don't waste thousands of dollars on a university course that gets you nowhere. Particularly don't try and do a double degree that is only half art related.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I would say stop poopinginyourmouth.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I was 17. I think I would tell myself:

"It's really important to be objective about your skills"

"Don't bother entertaining the idea that you will be exceptional at anything unless you have a passion for it"

and finally "don't worry about the girls. When you find one you actually like everything will work out better."
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    erm, dont believe that your teachers know wahts best for your career, this is more true the further you get in education.

keep on drawing, funnily enough my fine art years were my most sparse for drawing (damn you conceptual shit)

tell blonde girl in class(no names, oh alright then laura) to fuck off she just wasnt worth the effort/15 year old emotions.

be more bitter.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Don't worry about that last one, Shepeiro - I think you're really starting to get the hang of that bitterness thing.

The things I would like to tell my 20-year old self aren't worth thinking about, as my 20-year old self wouldn't have listened anyway. I'm currently much more interested in what advice my 40-year old self would have for me today.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd tell myself 'Keep at it, it's going to work'

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if I don't believe that because it hasn't happened for me, or it hasn't happened for me because I don't believe it...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I was 13, I'd pretty much tell myself what poop said, don't fuckin put milkshape down! Don't slack on your drawing, learn anatomy!!!

And don't date chunky chicks, they're screwy (at least the ones I dated in high school).
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    don't blow that two grand
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    JOHN!

Don't use the time machine!

Love, JOHN!

(and, don't worry so much about living in your mother's attic and playing with 3D programs, it all works out in the end. Also, you and your fellow poseur friend will never be punk superstars, and will never do weary-sounding "Catch the Frog" promos for the WB, and will never get into fights with other bands during the MTV Music Awards in emulation of something the movie version of Sid Vicious might do, so you should pawn the guitar and spend more time with the 3D stuff. Finally, don't kill that dude in the checkered tie; it's way too much trouble.)
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    dont drive mopeds while drunk
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Stay the course.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Keep doing what you're doing. grin.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    don't make fun of little flat mousey Danielle on the school bus, she will grow up to be A SUPER ULTRA MEGA HOTTY ! *doh!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    for me I'd say:

-BREAK UP WITH SARAH! NOW! NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW YOU FOOL!
    -DON'T EVER MOVE TO IDAHO! DUMBASS!
    -MMO = JUST SAY NO!

But in all honesty I'd just do the same as Asherr. That's all I'd need to know right there.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - I would tell my 20 yr old self;
    - Travel back in time 15 years and teach us the metric system.
    - Buy an island, not a house, and mine the beaches.
    - Follow your gut, you have good instincts trust em. Especially when it comes to if you should get a cat or a dog. If one cat doesn't behave like a dog, getting two others won't either.