Home General Discussion

What brought you to polycount / #md

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
So a random discussion tonight in #md lead to me searching for an old thread over at CGtalk so I could roughly place the time I came to be an PC'er. As you can tell by my post, I was none too pleased by the attitudes and egos present in cgtalk's irc channel. laugh.gif

Figured I'd start a thread about this... so what brought you here to the Army of Green & Black under our fearless leader Rogue13? If it was anything like my experience, is there still any evidence of it on the web?

Replies

• Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    I think I was looking for action quake 2 models a long time ago and stumbled on here. Lived here every since
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i know how i got to q2pmp and then onto the messageboards(vaguely).. cannot remember how i made it into #md...

i was chatting on Excite.com's rooms in those early days of me being on the net so i summize i popped onto #md out of curiosity..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, Showster, same here - I was looking for more AQ2 models and came across Polycount.
    I didn't know about the forums then, though, just the main page - it wasn't until halfway through high school when me and some friends decided to start a Q3 mod that I found the forums themselves.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    I got here because of an old Halflife model site called Coldfusion, where I learned about polycount and switched over to here smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    What's #MD, and more importantly where is it?

I don't have much of a story about finding Polycount. A mate in my game art class pointed me here a few years back and I've been contributing lots of words but not much in the way of art since then. And thats my courageous story.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    It was Mr_Rockstar that persuraded me to join the Great green and Black,back in the day when we modded for Max Payne 1 together...somewhwere round that time anyway.

it took me awhile becuase I was pretty intimidated by the standard of work here,but I relised being intimidated was stupid so acturally started posting stuff.

Havent posted much for awhile and spend of my time lurking but I still like to try and meet and many of you guys face to face as is possible smile.gif.

john.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    someone showed me the front page last year, but i didnt even realise there was a forum till recently when i stumbled upon a link to Rorshach's scifi support beam thread
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's #MD, and more importantly where is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://polycount.com/chat.html

watch out.. randomness and quiet are common. occasionally there is real content crazy.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I found #md talking to BladeKiller on IRC (UrbanTerror) as I was looking for help and a general discussion about it. The forums, I really have no idea. Probably just the main page and then into the forums.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Cold Fusion a sploded and I needed a new home.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Used to model for Command & Conquer Generals mods, but nobody in the community would ever give critics, it was all just "Oh, that's great". Hardly helpful. So, I got pointed in this direction by the guy who taught me a lot on 3D.
    The first time I saw the forums... Everyone used punctuation, models that I couldn't even dream of making were criticised... Heaven incarnated in bytes.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I saw something on the PlanetQuake news in 1998, forgot exactly what though. Brought me to Q2PMP though smile.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I saw something on the PlanetQuake news in 1998, forgot exactly what though. Brought me to Q2PMP though smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

quick someone find that news post!! and find a mob, we've got a lynching to perform! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I stumbled into the Q2PMP forums from another early Quake 1 editing site. Got pulled into #md shortly after it went up for some mod work with Betlog. Q2PMP morphed into Polycount, and #md... well, it's always been #md.

I think #md has got to be pushing close to 10 years old now no?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Google guided me here. Looking for some modeling help.

oh yeah... and the chics too.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I was in #3dsmax on EFnet and accidentally joined #md back when there were like 6 people in it. I got wind of q2pmp and posted a model for review. It was a redux of Tanner Owen's first Protoss Zealot model. I think that was 8-9 years ago now. I started in #md as Epsilon, then changes nick to Spartan, and then PeterK once I started to use my real name online. I'd say we've all grown quite a bit. We've watched friends go, and new ones come. Shine and I were just discussing this very subject the other day, and it’s satisfying to look back on all the good, and even some of the bad that we have all shared. Whatever happens over the next 9 years, I hope you guys are all happy and doing what you love to do.

- Peterk
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was a regular poster on an old HL1 custom model site Cold Fusion, when scarecrow passed the torch to bamph the site went down hill and a bunch of us jumped ship to polycount.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    q2pmp at first, I submitted (and got rejected) a q2 player model of the enforcer. I was gutted there was a converted ranger model there but mine was rejected! (mine sucked though)

And #q3skins smile.gif
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    Years ago I was searching for UT models when I first stumbled upon PC... much later I was lamenting the state of the MilkShape forums with a buddy when he steered me over to here, Yay!

... ooh and you can blame EQ for my presence on #md laugh.gif

-DK =^..^=
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm new, so... I wandered in first during Dominance war, became a member of both cgchat and polycount shortly after looking to improve. I didn't feel cgtalk was the right enviornment for the kind of critique I need(ed).
    I liked Polycount most of all, so I've stayed here. smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    It was a mistake

17:09] *** rogue13 sets channel #model_design mode +vvv flaagan|zZz harle HReaper
    [17:09] <+thnom> How come you're voicing everyone?
    [17:09] *** rogue13 sets channel #model_design mode +vvv Derelict_ EarthQuake ElysiumGX
    [17:10] <+Derelict_> watch
    [17:10] <+flaagan|zZz> o_O
    [17:10] <@rogue13&gt; just messing around
    [17:10] <+thnom> +m, minus weiser?
    [17:10] <+thnom> haha
    [17:10] *** rogue13 sets channel #model_design mode +vvv Cheapy Cyber|ZzZ Dane
    [17:10] *** flaagan|zZz changed nick to flaagan
    [17:10] *** rogue13 sets channel #model_design mode +vvv BoBo cancel|away chaka_
    [17:10] <Weiser_Cain> i figure thats what he's doing
    [17:10] *** rogue13 sets channel #model_design mode +v Asherr
    [17:10] *** rogue13 sets channel #model_design mode +m
    [17:10] <@rogue13&gt; yep you saw thru it
    [17:10] <+thnom> See the thing is, I can create a new php document or asp or w/e
    [17:11] <+thnom> and pickup shit dead quick.. and I can finish it
    [17:11] <Weiser_Cain> yes I'm use to you pointless agression
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Old mod team I was with, RiotSoftware, had suggested I check the place out for game-art related information.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I checked this site out originally when I was looking at the custom HL2/Quake 3 player models, a few years later I rejoined when I was recommended this by a teacher in college. Been using it to help my skills ever since!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg - A teacher recommended you? Funny, I've been trying to pimp PC to my college buddies for a long while.. I think only one ever actually created a profile, and maybe has one or two posts.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I'm here for the following reasons:

1. R13's original duckbutter cookies

2. Love to bust on EQ's mom

3. tubgirl

4. I stalk game artists shocked.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    when q2pmp became polycount, but all the mandrama keeps bringing me back.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    EQ worked his whore magic and I found out that polycount had a forum.
  • Derelict-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Derelict- polycounter lvl 17
    #model_design was started in 1998 by me and Betlog. The idea was to get real critque and to help people get into the game industry. I think it's worked so far smile.gifWe all found that since we both existied, that being polycount and model_design, for the same reasons...why not join forces and take over the world!
    Every now and then some jackasses hang around but they eventually get put straight and we all get back to having fun and helping each other out. I've made friends all over the world through the little #md and I wouldn't change it for the world. I hope it sticks around for many moons.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    quake and ut models ... found that it actually had a forum so i lurked but never posted, too intimidated ...

then eventually learned of #md..
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I was searching for Q ]I[ modeling tutorials and found'em smile.gif.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    when cgchat/PC dominence war was on, i sneaked over and had a peak around, then i jumped ship completely afterwards.

i first popped my forum cherry with cgtalk, but shes a lame cow for crits hehe and i like the mandrama/swearing on this forum.

ill continue to post like a post whore on all three, but PC is my top beoitch now
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I found polycount by googling "looking for a partner in crime" back when Hawkprey did the Tweaky and Tweaky mom art test post for Legend. I was a poster on cgtalk, and I wanted to see if he posted the thread on any other forums, so I could see what the others doing the test were coming up with. I liked it a lot more than cgtalk and stuck around since. I found #MD after someone mentioned it in a thread on polycount.

poop.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Friend in class told me about it.. Then it took me a few months of lurking before i actually pimped something. And here i am now, posting nothing but nonsense and never anything in the pnp section smile.gif

#md i dont visit.. i rarely use IRC
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Then it took me a few months of lurking before i actually pimped something. And here i am now, posting nothing but nonsense and never anything in the pnp section

[/ QUOTE ]

I still haven't pimped anything wink.gif I rarely get a chance to model, and most of my stuff isn't supposed to be public since it's part of a free/indie game that I'm helping with. Nothing spectacular anyways wink.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I learned of Polycount back in 2000 when I wanted to learn how to make Quake 3 Arena characters and do game art for a living. A few months later I started to post because I had some questions regarding making Quake 3 models. Been here ever since.

Alex
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I honestly wish I could remember. It was probably a mixture of magic and sunshine.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I somehow found my way here after 3dpalette died
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    my dads friend warezed me a copy of max 2 and i was google (well this was before google) searching to try and find out how to use this piece of alien tech ,, all i was told when he gave it to me was (they use this to make movies and stuff) i had no previous digital art epx, thru that search i found a irc channel on effnet called #3dsmax hung out there for a while when one day a fellow by the name "cluck" poped in and showed a model he was making,, it was all blocky and square, and when i asked about this, he said it was for games, i had no idea max was used to make games, he led me to #md, and then i found poly count,, i can say without a doubt in my mind,, without cluck / #md / polycount i would no be making games for a living.

a while back as a thank you for this, i helped start a fund raiser on these forums, and we bought r13 a sweet new top of the line (for the time) video card to say thanks for his part in helping so many of us fools get jobs
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    I think... hmmm. BadMoon dragged me into #md back in 96/97 or something(sometime when Q1 was new) and I guess I just got stuck there for various reasons. Then when Q2 was released I did a couple of PPM's with BadMoon and Frankie. So hanging out on the PC boards kinda came naturally I suppose.

fuck... 10 years or something...
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Came to the boards around the time Q2PMP transformed into Count de Polys, then to #md at the time of the CuteDoll contest only to have my cute doll not do very well. I got some great crits though from Mal, Gwot, and James Green so I stuck around for more abuse smile.gif
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    It's hard for me to share what brought me here... for obvious reasons but I wanna share something so...

I was sitting around on ICQ talking to Nebu, he was the last original contributor to the Q2pmp that was still around when I was thinking about redoing the site into something that was designed better and had a better name. He really liked the Q2pmp name and was trying to suggest names that played off it... like q3pmp... but his ideas still seemed rooted in the same problem as the first name, it would eventually get outdated. i knew it needed to be genric, be tolerate to multiple games, and short and quick. I also had Max open at the time so i started poking around at modifiers and such looking for inspiration. "free form deformation matrix" wasn't going to work.. subobject was considered.. for a second.. soon as i saw the polycounter dialog box, i knew i had the name. I told him it was going to be "polycount" which he didnt get as he was more a web designer than 3d artist. he didn't like it it much and suggested more, but i was settled... i figured at some point they wont use polygons anymore, but we'd worry about that at that point. it was 3d realted ... it was directly related to the fact that we counted all the polys on all the models at the time...heck we even listed % of wasted texture space due to a cool feature npherno cooked up for NST at the time...

anyways... thats the story behind the choosing of the name!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    quake 2 models brought me to polycount back in the day. After growing tired of cgtalk for creative advice, I turned to Polycount for honest creative feedback, not "it looks great." ElysiumGX showed me the other world of #md. laugh.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Quake 3 modding ressources, a long time ago...Ive been lurking in the shadows 'til now.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I think I stumbled across polycount in 1998 due to being on the Quake3world.com forums and Axel told me about a site that was the mecca for FPS PPMs and general game art. He also got me on to #model_design iirc.

Seems weird it's already been 8 years, though these days I mostly lurk due to crunch time, etc.

If it wasn't for Polycount and #MD, I wouldn't have met Harley, who then introduced me to Danr who gave me my first and current job in the industry smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    one day we'll be nurbscount frown.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    q2pmp, trying to submit my q2 skins to somebody smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop blaming me for your addictions faggots, its not my fault you cant get enough. I pretty much tell every person i meet that does any sort of art to post on these boards, nobody knows it but i am actually the sole reason for the livelyness of this forum.

I think im in the same boat with mop/showster. I came to q2pmp looking for AQ2 models, and resources for creating my own replacement weapons for AQ2. See i was doing cool weapon replacement shit way before this whole crazy "CS" thing was cool with all the kids. That or to show off my LEET DBZ models, if anyone actually remembers those or could manage to find an image of them i'll give you mad sexual favors.

I joined #MD back in the day to bitch and whine and demand people teach me how to make DBZ models, and give me ops.

True story.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I heard there was naked women and beer here
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I downloaded a fair amount of q2 models not realising that there was a forum. Insanely addicted to ActionQuake and QWTF at the time. Just got the demo of q3 and started making a mod called "biggahedz", then later ran a mod called "GTP". Punisher who made the guns for GTP told me about this place, along with another guy on the team making map items.

Long time lurker on IRC then started posting my incredibly shite models, as Terminal24. I must say many thanks to all those that worked on "hypers mole" as an SDK in 2001. That model taught me everything I know about texturing and polygon modelling in max. Before that, UV mapping was like a black voodoo magic.