Home General Discussion

America: Freedom to Facism

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
This movie looks interesting:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/americafreedomtofascism/trailer/

My issue, with the messages being said in this video and those in other documentaries (etc. etc.), is that I can't tell what fact and what's fiction - and that scares me.

Who's telling the truth?
Who's telling the truth anymore?

Replies

• McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm looks all pretty varifiably true to me . I have read about everything in that video at some point or another . After watching loose change on 9/11 I pretty much relized im living in a police state ran by sadistic criminals . The only real freedom is anarchy anyways ...that's what fight club was all about .
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    im a libertarian anyway, too much government is where we are at, but anarchy is way too little. a government should only exist to handle violence within a country.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Don't get me wrong I don't want anarchy ,I just want the goverment to go by the ideals the constitution was written for. Right now there are 100's and 100's of people in DC who's only jobs it is to make more and more laws. They have to justify there jobs so of course whatelse is going to happen but to eventually make a police state that eventually looks very much like communism or naziism.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are silly. Without government, there is no civilization.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yes. We all know governnment = civilization. Anywhere you find a government you also find civilization! Just look at Africa for proof. In fact, I don't see how anyone could ever get anything done without thugs extracting protection money from us.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    verm: Yes but you could cut away like 90% of the government and still have it be able to keep society running, although the result would be total capitalism, in effect aristocracy.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you probably would have aristocracy and some sort of new caste system with a very limited government, but if the government worried about protecting its own people against murder, theft, if we were invaded, and taxed those aristocrats more than anyone else, then i tihnk there would be no problem. too much money is being spent on catching and holding criminals who commit victimless crimes.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ... now, where did i put those lecture notes?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very high end civilization would not need a goverment, if everyone knows and does what they are supposed to do without asking then you would not need anyone to point the finger thus the goverment would be useless.
    Ofcourse its very utopic but still theoretically possible.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... now, where did i put those lecture notes?

[/ QUOTE ]

They were seized.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ben Franklin once said

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Still rings true to this day,i remember all the fear mongering after 9/11 by the press and politicians to scare people into signing away their liberty little by little,whats really sad is that many Americans are ignorant to this.

I always found it ironic and funny that so many people said that the terrorist were out to destroy our freedoms, surprise terroists!! how can you take our freedoms when we are already destroying them ourselves.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terrorists are trying to steal our freedoms! Let's adopt the Soviet scorched earth policy so they can't take them!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Terrorists are trying to steal our freedoms! Let's adopt the Soviet scorched earth policy so they can't take them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Atleast soviets were very clear about what you can and can not do.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    choice, right, or enforcement.

id chips are a good idea for crime and so on, but as the pairents of a new born child, you would want a Choice.

id cards are good for security of your own identity and help with many processes from renting a car to buying a house. Especially when twinned with a bank account, you would want a Right.

Killing someone just because you don't like them is barbaric, so having police to combat such activities is an Enforcement.

Civilisation demands that you contribute to it, in the form of a TAX. This is also an Enforcement. Not a Choice or a Right.

I see little point in the above video. Ok so America is not the wild west anymore, where you could shoot a man and not pay tax, as a right and a choice. Times have changed.

only the Enforcement of idenity is up for grabs. I'm sure if it was offered as a Choice many people would want it as thier Right, as services changed.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i find enforcing tax and id card two seperate issues.

as an animal of this planet i find, that forcing people to carry a card completely imorral, and is a sign that some people have the power to force other peoples actions without their consent, not through society but through law.

on the other hand you choose to use the monetary system you choose to pay tax
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    As animal of this planet I want to run around naked but some people have forced me into clothes without my consent wink.gif

good points hawken, allthough the thought of a chip under the skin as ID is discomforting esspecially if people have a choice or only certain people need to have it, welcome to segregation.

In the EU you need ID for various things that you buy( like you said, house, carrent) and in germany fa. you need to have ID on you all of the time.

It is a weird video but if this law exists it could be used to put the goverment under pressure (power to the people!!! weeeeeee) but that would be very chaotic and very little people would be mature enough imho to say that they stop paying tax if the gov. is ... beeing a jackass, wich leads us to the problem what a jackass is wink.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    "As animal of this planet I want to run around naked but some people have forced me into clothes without my consent"

good point but in most places you can get away with it :-) trust me :-) also its more of a society thing than a gover-mental although there are laws against indecent exposure in the UK they are usually enforced by society rather than the police
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    What always burns me up is paying sales tax when I buy a used car. I never buy a new car because that's just silly. Everytime that car is sold though, it's taxed over and over. Lame.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tax system is rediculous. Not only do you pay taxes on your used car over and over, but you pay a huge amount of hidden tax whenever you buy anything. The mines, the foundries, the rubber plants and paint factories all have to pay taxes and they pass that cost on to the car manufacturer. The car maker pays taxes, and the dealer too, and all that tax gets passed on to the consumer, and they still expect you to pay sales tax.

You guys may remember a thread a few months ago where I said inflation was on the way because of the new government debt? Every time the money supply is inflated, your dollars are worth less. This is another invisible tax.

Add to that property tax, estate taxes, and income taxes and you have a system where the normal working man is getting fucked.

What do you get in return? Marines over in some country I don't give a shit about killing women and children. A shity, 1850's tech school system. The FDA; an organization that is supposed to keep you safe from dangerous drugs but cant. FEMA; an organization that is supposed to help prevent losses due to disaster, but cant. Etc, etc.

Even things like the highway system that seem like a good thing will probably be seen as a bad idea by future generations. Why? The original capital investment in the road system created a situation where it made sense to own a car. This created urban sprawl, a dependence on foriegn oil and air quality issues (and we may never know about things like global warming).

I do think that governments can make good decision, but I think our's rarely does.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you get in return? Marines over in some country I don't give a shit about killing women and children. A shity, 1850's tech school system. The FDA; an organization that is supposed to keep you safe from dangerous drugs but cant. FEMA; an organization that is supposed to help prevent losses due to disaster, but cant. Etc, etc.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the things you mention were actually come up with by the Greeks (or earlier), but I do agree that civilization is actually a collection of technologies and techniques that were created by individuals.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Psst, that was a movie quote)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    KDR: er..brought peace?

Solidarity brother.

r.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ben Franklin once said

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Still rings true to this day,i remember all the fear mongering after 9/11 by the press and politicians to scare people into signing away their liberty little by little,whats really sad is that many Americans are ignorant to this.

I always found it ironic and funny that so many people said that the terrorist were out to destroy our freedoms, surprise terroists!! how can you take our freedoms when we are already destroying them ourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, guess what, in ben franklins day you couldn't use a suitcase to blow up an entire building.

i can't believe how everyone on the internet shouts, "THE END IS NIGH! PREPARE YOURSELVES, FOR THE FLAMES OF ETERNAL DAMNATION ARE UPON US!!! REPENT!" everytime they hear some account of the government 'spying' on us. i couldn't care less if the government wanted to know why i just ordered 800lbs of fertilizer if it saved even one innocent life. i know that if the government didn't do shit to protect us, and we actually did have rampant terrorism because they couldn't monitor us, everyone would start bitching about how "the government is doing nothing to save us!", followed by some ridiculous philosophical statement that has been used a million times over like "the government should exist for its people, the people shouldnt exist for the government."

seriously, it's 2006. do you know how easy it would be to use commonly found items to kill lots of innocent people? sure, the constitution is what we based our country on, but i don't ride a horse to work in the morning, and i don't shit in an outhouse. things change, and so the government has to evolve to protect us.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You are more likely to get killed crossing the road than by a terrorist. The terrorism card is easy to play.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i couldn't care less if the government wanted to know why i just ordered 800lbs of fertilizer if it saved even one innocent life.

Banning unhealthy substances that have no positive values would be an easy way to save lives, as would banning all firearms and raiding all homes to make sure none remain. As would banning individual transportation in favour of public transportation. As would banning everything that could create violent tendencies (entertainment and especially news on unhappy subjects). I'm pretty sure we'd all live longer in the scenario described in Fahrenheit 451 (minus the war).
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You are more likely to get killed crossing the road than by a terrorist. The terrorism card is easy to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to all the people who died in 9/11. If the government wasn't doing their job, terrorism COULD become a problem.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Banning unhealthy substances that have no positive values would be an easy way to save lives, as would banning all firearms and raiding all homes to make sure none remain. As would banning individual transportation in favour of public transportation. As would banning everything that could create violent tendencies (entertainment and especially news on unhappy subjects). I'm pretty sure we'd all live longer in the scenario described in Fahrenheit 451 (minus the war).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes! I see! You're comparing ammonium nitrate bombs that can blow up thousands of people to someone willingly buying cigarettes! I see the correlation!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terrorism is only a problem because the government insists on blowing up their shit and interfering in their trade and peace talks and whatnot.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get your Ouiji Board out Rick.

r.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very high end civilization would not need a goverment, if everyone knows and does what they are supposed to do without asking then you would not need anyone to point the finger thus the goverment would be useless.
    Ofcourse its very utopic but still theoretically possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if a frong had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a' hoppin'. But here on planet Earth, etc etc...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes. We all know governnment = civilization. Anywhere you find a government you also find civilization! Just look at Africa for proof. In fact, I don't see how anyone could ever get anything done without thugs extracting protection money from us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi! Your straw man just called. He'd really like it if you just addressed the things that other people actually say rather than propping him up so you can pierce him with that razor-sharp wit of yours.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    terrorism is only a problem because the government insists on blowing up their shit and interfering in their trade and peace talks and whatnot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your contribution to this thread is only a problem because you are attempting to dismiss a very complicated circumstance with a very simplistic explanation. Terrorism happens in many forms around the world, every day, including places where global superpowers have little presence. It's just one method of warfare, and people have been making war with each other since the dawn of time.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously, I'm not effectively surpressing my inner smart-ass today. I'll ask the doctors to increase my dosage...
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is one method of warfare, but we certaintly arent helping things by giving assloads of weapons and money to their number one enemy israel.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes! I see! You're comparing ammonium nitrate bombs that can blow up thousands of people to someone willingly buying cigarettes! I see the correlation!

[/ QUOTE ]

You know how many people in the US die each year of smoking? You know how many people in the US die every year of terrorism? Why do you think terrorism warrants severe restrictions on freedom while selling poison with addictive qualities doesn't?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR, you can't seriously mean you want to ban firearms. What will you and the rest of the master race use the next time you want to try taking over the world?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    You missed my point. Everyone knows smoking kills you, and no one is forced to smoke. Terrorism is the murder of innocent people. There is a huge difference. And obviously if not many people die of terrorism, then they are doing at least a decent job, which just proves my point.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes but the number of terrorist attacks wasn't exactly huge before laws like the Patriot Act were introduced. These anti-terror laws created severe restrictions on freedom and I don't think those were necessary at all to prevent terrorist strikes. Things like mandatory ID have their uses but they don't do ANYTHING to prevent terrorism because a terrorist will have a valid ID on him.

Also, the plans for the atacks on the WTC were known to the intelligence agencies of the US but they decided that noone would seriously try that. They get a lot of false positives so they have to sort out what makes sense to pursue and what doesn't. Even with all the new anti-terror laws 9/11 would have happened because these terrorists didn't do anything illegal or suspicious up until they took the plane.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is nothing the government could ever do EVER that would stop a determined person from killing thousands. It just isn't that hard to kill people.

Verm: Government helps to create order. Civiliztion requires order to exist, but I don't think government is the only way to achieve that order. It depends a lot on how you define a government.

I don't really have a problem with the idea of government. I just think that technology should be used to solve as many problems with the government as possible.

In a very real sense, until there is a world government, we do live in an anarchy. I don't vote. My expected utility is too low. If I have any serious problems with the US government I'll move to a place a like better. In fact, people have done that exact thing all the time in the past. It is this movement of highly skilled and intelligent people that is the real backbone of an economy. As a smart and skilled person, the worst thing you can do to the US government is to move away. They are parasitic in nature, and without a host they starve. In the same way, you can help a govenrment that you like or think are running things well.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    'You are more likely to get killed crossing the road than by a terrorist'

Unless you were killed by a terrorist driving a car whilst crossing the road. That would just confuse the stats people
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    it is one method of warfare, but we certaintly arent helping things by giving assloads of weapons and money to their number one enemy israel.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an excuse. Israel isn't doing jack shit to the people of Iran or Arghanistan or Syria or any other middle eastern nation that isn't the remnant of Palestine. The 'president' of Iran wants to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth because they're not Muslim, no more and no less.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Somalia hasn't really had a government since 1991 and look how nice it is over there!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Verm: Government helps to create order. Civiliztion requires order to exist, but I don't think government is the only way to achieve that order. It depends a lot on how you define a government.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no examples in history of civilization developing without some sort of government. And by government, I mean a group of people with the authority to impose order on the whole populace (be it a despotic tyrant or an enlightened republic). Fundamentally, some system of law is needed to allow for society to function and that's effectively what governments do.

Eeen putting obvious things like the police and armies aside, the things that keep citizens from killing each other, government-sanctioned order is critical just to make sure things happen. Imagine if each state in America was required to develop its own freeway system. Maybe Ohio wants to do something different from Indiana, and develops roads insufficient to handle freight trucking. Maybe Pennsylvanians lack the resources or coordination to create interstates at all, and freight trucks can't even travel from Pittsburgh to Philly. That would be bad, yeah? Fortunately, the federal government uses tax dollars to create a uniform system of highways that serve each state (and thus each taxpayer) equally.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes but the number of terrorist attacks wasn't exactly huge before laws like the Patriot Act were introduced. These anti-terror laws created severe restrictions on freedom and I don't think those were necessary at all to prevent terrorist strikes. Things like mandatory ID have their uses but they don't do ANYTHING to prevent terrorism because a terrorist will have a valid ID on him.

Also, the plans for the atacks on the WTC were known to the intelligence agencies of the US but they decided that noone would seriously try that. They get a lot of false positives so they have to sort out what makes sense to pursue and what doesn't. Even with all the new anti-terror laws 9/11 would have happened because these terrorists didn't do anything illegal or suspicious up until they took the plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, a conspiracy to commit a crime is a crime. And terrorist attacks were still very common in European and middle eastern countries pre-9/11 but taking down the WTC sort of "rammed it home" in the US.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I feel more threatened by drivers on my way to and from work, than by a terrorist attack. My last town, I lived 3 miles from an airport, a nuclear power plant, and a large military base. I was more concerned about hurricanes or Jehovah's Witnesse than any terrorist attack. I do believe crossing the street is more of a danger to the american people. 9/11 was an attack on American Business and Government, not its people. The government twisted the events to acheive its own interest.

Oh noes, terrorist stole my freedom!

No one is implanting a tag on me. That's the breaking point.

One thing that bothers me. The 22nd Amendment prevents a president from seeking a 3rd term. But who cares about the constitution, right? It's just a goddamn piece of paper. And we are at war...with...something...possibly forever. All we need is another tragic event just before the next election. But that's unpossible.

Are there any organized efforts to overthrow the current adminstration? I'd like to lend a hand.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    yah dude! it's just liek, ya know, in the StarWars prequels!!1 Bush is totally like the Emperor. working his way up from Senator/Governor to become Chancellor/President through a rigged election. then starting a war just so he can stay in power beyond his term limit. next step for Bush is to declare himself Emporer and beat up a little green man.

oh and is it still considered fear mongering if you use words like 'fascist government' and 'taking away your freedoms' instead of terrorists and WMDs? wink.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have much to say about the trailer in the original post. It just seems like sensationalist bullshit from those types of extreme economic-conservatives who try to argue that "tax is theft." I do, however, have a thing or two to contribute to the ensuing conversation.

Sonic, I can't believe how naive you're being. In fact, you're being more than just naive, you're being willfully ignorant.

The spying controversy isn't just about the government spying on American citizens. I expect the NSA and CIA to spy on people; they wouldn't be doing their jobs otherwise. The controversy stems from the fact that they're doing it WITHOUT WARRANTS. This is setting a dangerous precedent. Even if this lack of oversight isn't being abused right now (which I find hard to believe), there's the potential for future administrations to take advantage of this precedent and abuse it. Before they started conducting WARRENTLESS domestic surveillance, the court they went through to get a warrant was the FISA court. Since the inception of the court less than 30 years ago, they have rejected a whopping 4 out of more than 18,000 warrant applications. That's literally a 99.9% rate of approval, so they're essentially a "rubber stamp" court. Not only that, but they could get the warrant retroactively (meaning they could start conducting surveillance before getting a warrant). So why is the Bush administration sidestepping this process? Is terrorism such a threat that they need to undermine the very foundation of our country... our system of checks and balances, judicial oversight, our Bill of Rights? I don't think so.

You also don't seem to understand how terrorism works. Terrorism isn't about defeating a country by killing all of the citizens of that country, it's about paralyzing a population with terror. The number of people that have been killed by terrorism on American soil in the last 20 years is a pretty small number. You have a slightly higher chance of winning the lottery than being killed by a terrorist. But here's how terrorism is effective: for an attack that cost Al Qaeda about $500,000 in total, we've spent more than $500,000,000,000 in response; we've made many significant changes to how our government works; we've enacted new laws that possibly jeopardize our civil liberties; we've generated a huge amount of animosity towards our country, not only in hostile nations, but also in countries that we consider allies.

Osama bin Laden has said his plan is to bleed America to the point of bankruptcy, which is the same tactic he and the mujahedeen fighters used to defeat the USSR in the Soviet-Afghan war (when he was working for the CIA). They would do stuff like write "Al Qaeda" on a flag and stick it in the middle of nowhere. When the Soviets got word, they would move troops and equipment and investigate the area. They would waste tens of thousands of dollars on these pointless exercises, for what cost Al Qaeda a stick and a rag. And the Bush administration is making it easy on Al Qaeda; he started a dubious war in a whole 'nother country and is shoveling out hundreds of billions of dollars to military contractors. Al Qaeda doesn't even have to do anything.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inflammatory Comment goes here > I'm just glad the US funded terrorism for 30 years in the UK, thanks to that, like most Brits , I don't get as upset about the whole terrorism 'thing'.

Right now, to sit back and watch the righteous indignation smile.gif

r.