Home General Discussion

America: Freedom to Facism

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yowza, why'd the US fund the IRA? I don't doubt our government did but it doesn't seem to make sense. Seems like all the US funded terrorism in the past was part of the cold war, supplying arms and training to terrorist groups to fight Russia or their allies.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Verm: Your definition of government would also include corporate run oil platforms, not to mention any other place where they have permanent on-site workers.

The example of the highway system is not very good. Private organizations come up with international standards all the time. Not only that, but while smaller organization may have problems, the real questions is whether it is worth paying 10 times too much to solve those problems using a government.

{edit]
    I think any definition of government would have to mention a monopoly on violence, and taxation.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Verm: Your definition of government would also include corporate run oil platforms, not to mention any other place where they have permanent on-site workers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's alright. I said that government is a prerequisite of civilization, not that it causes civilization.

[ QUOTE ]
    The example of the highway system is not very good. Private organizations come up with international standards all the time. Not only that, but while smaller organization may have problems, the real questions is whether it is worth paying 10 times too much to solve those problems using a government.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think private companies do alright in that regard? So are you buying a blu-ray DVD or HD-DVD?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I suppose I could just buy this if I wanted to, but in all likelyhood I'll buy neither. I'm not really into the whole HD thing yet.

I bet if the government was in charge of that, we would be locked into using laserdisk, and we would all have a player whether we wanted one or not, but we would have to pay $8000 in taxes for it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that bothers me. The 22nd Amendment prevents a president from seeking a 3rd term. But who cares about the constitution, right? It's just a goddamn piece of paper. And we are at war...with...something...possibly forever. All we need is another tragic event just before the next election. But that's unpossible.

I guess you mean the White House being set on fire by a Jew^H^H^HMuslim?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Kev, it saved me pointing it out. Again.