Home General Discussion

Revolution has changed its name to wii

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Everyone who is talking about Nintendo today was already aware of the Revolution. They're talking out of shock at how strange "Wii" is. Nintendo is gaining nothing from that talk. On the other hand, I've heard a couple people claim that they're not going to buy the console now, which, is an undeniably bad thing for Ninty.

Any publicity that comes from this and gets exposure to people who have never heard of the console before will be of the "Nintendo named it's console something dumb" variety. That is not good publicity. Maybe there are huge untapped markets out there that want a games machine named after urine, but I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to be kidding. people are honestly not buying it now because of a name?? but now that i think about it, i would never eat chocolate as a kid because it was called chocolate, and still to this day i wont buy gum becuase in hindu it means rock and that really freaks me out. i never liked the way chair rolled off the tounge so now i will only sit on tables. i guess i had to think about it differently, now i totally see how the name of things directly influences my purchases.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    The question is, would you buy chocolate if it was called "Shit" or "Poop" or some such thing?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You are soooo overestimating the general populations intelligence. These are the same people who make stupid retarded decisions everyday and manage to keep completely frivolous and vapid industries afloat because they are fooled by the marketing strategies.

Yes I believe that Arshlevon is unaffected by the name, but I do not believe Joe Walmart will be unaffected.

I think the name is funny, and I'm interested to see how it does. It could go either way in my book. But if it takes on a negative connotation, that WILL hurt it's sales in the good old USA.

poop.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    nice timing poop. smile.gif

and..
    I think the "W" and "ii" will be fun to advertize with because its a very malleable logo thingy. They already had a bunch of i's running around bouncing into each other like people.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I fully support nintendo with whatever crazy schemes and names they might dig up, but remember, the Gamecube was code named the Dolphin...it's probably just a gimmic to distract and confuse.

That said, Nintendo is also the company that managed "Donky Kong" when actually intending "Monkey kong".
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    A product name won't stop me from buying the product. I own a 360, and it's name is quite retarded. I understand the reasoning for the 360 add-on, but it was still a stupid choice.

As far as this Wii goes, I won't buy it. Nintendo has refused to step up it's performance to compete with Sony and Microsoft. And there's no way in hell I'm gonna wag my arms through the air like a moron, playing a Wok cooking simulator, or petting dogs. Remember the Nintendo Power Glove? Virtual Boy? YEAH.....
    I own 2 gamecube games. TWO. They just don't offer anything good anymore. Such a pitty. The only thing I'm looking forward to seeing on Wii is a new version of PilotWings.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If you guys are SO upset over the name Wii just pretend the damn box is upside down and Nintendo just wants to exaggerate the letter M.

Yeesh.

M!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    A product name won't stop me from buying the product. I own a 360, and it's name is quite retarded. I understand the reasoning for the 360 add-on, but it was still a stupid choice.

As far as this Wii goes, I won't buy it. Nintendo has refused to step up it's performance to compete with Sony and Microsoft. And there's no way in hell I'm gonna wag my arms through the air like a moron, playing a Wok cooking simulator, or petting dogs. Remember the Nintendo Power Glove? Virtual Boy? YEAH.....
    I own 2 gamecube games. TWO. They just don't offer anything good anymore. Such a pitty. The only thing I'm looking forward to seeing on Wii is a new version of PilotWings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're a whore who wants graphics > gameplay. I'm glad you're not getting this console, honestly. Keep on wearin' your oldhat and get scared at the thought of innovation.

It's a fucking NAME. Like I said in my original reply... move on.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think this console was designed with the hardcore gamer in mind anyway. If the name insults their delicate sensibilities then so be it. I'm glad Nintendo is trying to do something different even if doesn't work out.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I said PERFORMANCE. Not GRAPHICS. Performance means a whole slew of things.

And sorry if I don't like playing piece-of-shit kid games like Nintendogs or Animal Crossing. Sorry that I don't want to wave my arms around like a god damn fairy, playing Yan Can Cook.

I'm all FOR innovation. But Nintendo doesn't make innovating products anymore! They make things that they think KIDS will like. Plain and simple.

Mario64 was innovation. A motion sensing controller is NOT.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    i think its a cool original and catchy name. plus the name doesnt really make the hardware or games. So my thumbs up to nintendo.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Xbox360 should have been Xbox2

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, calling it Xbox2 could give parents the impression that the Playstation3 is a superior machine. I think naming it something other than Xbox2 was a smart marketing move. Not to say that Xbox360 was the right decision though.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Actually, calling it Xbox2 could give parents the impression that the Playstation3 is a superior machine. I think naming it something other than Xbox2 was a smart marketing move. Not to say that Xbox360 was the right decision though

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I understand the reasoning behind the '360' name, but it's stupid. I preferred Xenon over 360. Hell, I like Xenon more than Xbox.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Then you're a whore who wants graphics > gameplay. I'm glad you're not getting this console, honestly. Keep on wearin' your oldhat and get scared at the thought of innovation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That was an overly hostile reply to what was said. And you're basically ragging on him for his personal taste in games. He doesn't like the Wii's game line-up, so he's not buying it. That and theres a point where innovation crosses the line into just dumb ideas. Innovation is allowing people to experience new and exciting things. The Wii is introducing neither. There are already motion based consoles and arcades out there, just not of the technological scale of the Wii. I'm with Vassago on this one, its not the name or controller stopping me from buy it, its the games. If I want to pet a dog, I'll go pet my dog. If I want to wok cook, I'll go cook using an actual wok. So its all up to the games they release.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I own 2 gamecube games. TWO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own more than 2 gamecube games. All that proves is I can count higher than you. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    And sorry if I don't like playing piece-of-shit kid games like Nintendogs or Animal Crossing. Sorry that I don't want to wave my arms around like a god damn fairy, playing Yan Can Cook.

I'm all FOR innovation. But Nintendo doesn't make innovating products anymore! They make things that they think KIDS will like. Plain and simple.

Mario64 was innovation. A motion sensing controller is NOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're just being hilarious.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ....must...not...praise...nintendo....
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I said PERFORMANCE. Not GRAPHICS. Performance means a whole slew of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, if you aren't talking about graphics, I really don't know what "performance" features you're talking about. In games like the new Project Gotham game or that WW2 game on the 360, everything right down to the last detail, besides the graphics, is 1990's era gameplay.

Marine:
    Are you for real? Do you really think that the D-Pad, Shoulder buttons, analog control and a touch screen were gimmicks? Nintendo has had a couple gimmicks. ROB and the Power Glove come to mind. The Virtual Boy failed cause it made people motion sick. Not because the 3D effect wasn't cool.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget that during the 1980s Nintendo was the company that managed to revive the flagging video games industry in the US. I suspect the industry might be headed for disaster again if publishers and developers don't catch a wake-up and start trying to attract a wider audience to the industry. I mean what is the point of increasing the budgets for games if you aren't effectively increasing your audience at the same time?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    A motion sensing controller is NOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's exactly what it is. And all those games you mentioned - Nintendogs and Animal Crossing are fun for adults too, but you - and the majority of us here - are "hardcore gamers" and usually put our noses up to titles like that. Have you actually played Nintendogs? It's innovative has hell! Animal Crossing is a game like no other (beides Harvest Moon, etc... but those are all the same type of game made by the same people). Yes, those games have a childish look to them - but they're completely different than games out there today and ARE (re: YES) fun. It's unfortunate you can't see the benefits of a gyroscopic controller - especially as an FPS gamer.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auto-aim anyone?

Edit: How anyone plays an FPS with a standard console controller is beyond me.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Once they get auto-move, auto-jump, and auto-switch weapons to go with auto-aim in FPS console games, maybe then I'll be able to play without screaming at the TV.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    quote from an article: "Anyone who gets fixated on the Wii name is the same kind of person who didn't appreciate what the GameCube could do because it looked like a purple lunchbox."

Mr. Sentient: that's the way I see it as well. these days, it seems people will buy anything if it's marketed effectively, and more often it's nothing worth the price, or the budget needed to make it. i play games at home, and now I'm paid to play them an additional 8 hours a day. but I don't consider myself a "hardcore gamer". I'd rather just play fun games AND have A FRIGGIN LIFE on the side!

Brome: thanks for elaborating on why I thought his opinions were hilarious.

the DS was just a durable handheld dual touch screen gimmick compared to Sony's expensive UMD player.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    a Gyro controller isnt a gimmick...

The gyro controller is just a new form of input, like using a mouse for FPS games back in 1995... Using a mouse to play quake didn't make it a gimmick..it just made control far more intuitively than doom, making it a superior way to play an FPS.

I mean..i can understand why you'd think it was a gimmick.. At first I thought the DS stylus was a gimmick too...but that ended up being one of the most intuitive ways to play puzzle and RTS style games...

-but in the end Nintendo just makes good products and fun games. I dont care if my games are 'serious' so long as theyre good escapism.

also, this is not the first time Nintendo has been in this situation. In 1990 genesis and Turbo graphix16 were out, making the NES a vastly inferior product... but you know what... 1990 was nintendo's most lucrative year.

TurboGraphix and the Genesis were getting those pretty, but boring, games while the NES was getting, well, Mario 3. Mario 3 single handedly made platform games fun again.

If anything I think the wii or whatever the hell it's called will just be an extension of that idea--new ways to play hackneyed genres, or new genres altogether.

-Oh, also I dont think Nintendo was responsible for the powerglove. I think it was a independent company.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Wii>WW2>Nazi>SS>Samurai Simulator
    I'll just call it Nintendo like I did all their systems.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    In 2 years: "microsoft new console named "Uzz"
    a spokesman said:
    "We wanted to put the focus on "Us", not just you or me, but "us", we have not only revolotionized names with "uzz", but we have revolutionized controllers in a way unimaginable!" "you can now control you character via a "motion sensor", this is high tech folks"
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    A name isn't going to quell my excitement for the system. I think it was a little misguided to further alienate the crowd that's on the fence, but at least they've got EVERYONE talking now.

I'm still looking forward to the new ways I can experience games. If Nintendo didn't do it, someone else would have. Nothing lasts forever, not Rome, not 8 Tracks, not a dual shock controller.

Whether it succeeds or not has yet to be seen, but every great gaming experience you've ever had was reached over a road paved with failed ideas and false starts on behalf of the companies that tried.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The first Wii game ever to be revealed was Red Steel, a game about the freaking yakuza. Yeah, I'm gonna run out and buy that one for my little niece as soon as it comes out.

Don't want to play Animal Crossing, don't buy animal crossing. Just because a system has Animal Crossing on it doesn't mean that's the only game on the system. It's like gee, the Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, so Resident Evil just ceased to exist.

I'm not saying everyone should love Nintendo, or "give animal crossing a chance you'll love it". Personally, I think the PS2's lineup beats the pants off the Cube and DS combined, and I have no desire to ever play Animal Crossing myself. However, the "oh Nintendo is a kiddy company" argument is old, tired and stupid. It wasn't very long ago that people thought all games were for kids. Then people woke the hell up.

It's such a North American attitude, too. All the quirky, bright, happy games come out of Japan. Katamari Damacy would have never been made in the West. Never. Loco Roco would have never seen the light of day. In the West if your game isn't dark and edgy then it's "kiddy" and no one will touch it.

Luckily, these games are making it out here. Luckily, Nintendo is willing to give their console a stupid name if it makes people laugh and have fun with it. Over time, hopefully we can get rid of the stigma surrounding games that don't involve massive amounts of murder so we can get some damn variety back.*

Hopefully, wii will mature a little and stop worrying about whether a game is "cool" enough for an adult to play.

*To clarify, murdering stuff in games is fun, but people should be more accepting of games which are different, instead of dismissing them as being for kids.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    well said

Edit: Do'h! beat me to it! So um.... yeah. what he said.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wee means piss in the UK as daz states.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also a first-person plural pronoun. smile.gif

And, *most relevantly, the sound little girls make when their daddies are twirling them around on a cool spring afternoon: weeee!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    *most relevantly, the sound little girls make when their daddies are twirling them around on a cool spring afternoon: weeee!

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...and damnit, who doesn't want to regain that feeling? Nintendo has always been about reminising about ones past, being able to enjoy the games that you played when you were younger and so forth. This is where the silly "kiddie" accusation comes from (and if you think GTA is more mature than Nintendo's fare then you're seriously deluding yourself)and probably not one that will ever be understood by the average Joe Graphics-whore.

It wouldn't have been the title I would have gone for, sure, but I don't have any issues with it and I'm still well looking forward to buying my console and going "wii, wii, wii" all the way home.

Disclaimer Edit: The above text doesn't in anyway insinuate that I was once a small girl.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    In the West if your game isn't dark and edgy then it's "kiddy" and no one will touch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. Sad, but so true.

poop.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lies. I am the exact opposite. Dark/dirty/grimey/edgy games are such a turn off for me. Give me the bright/clean/cute/happy games any day of the week.*

*Excludes some games from both categories obviously. Just need to state that before you say I would rather play Barbie Playland 4 over say Half-Life. But combine the 2? Holy crap is there a great game in there somewhere! Barbie and Gordon would make such a cUte couple!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    it is now clear that Luxury was single handedly responsable for the name wii. half life barbie equestrian holiday will be a wii launch title.
  • Steve Schulze
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Luxury, if you like fun games then play Glace were all about fun and happy...well unless its a sad part...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I predict that people will not refer to it as a "Wii" but as a "Nintendo."

i.e.:

"Want to come over and play my Wii?"

vs.

"Want to come over play my Nintendo?"
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, like you dont have to call it wii, just nintendo or the new nintendo could suffice.
    Regardless, this thread has been entertaining thanks to a number of posters and some of the things they have said smile.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    half life barbie equestrian holiday will be a wii launch title.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sweet!

And awesome link Jackablade. And now tell me that you don't agree with me. Look at the 3 side by side pictures.
    #1: play as 2 gangbangers shooting it up in the slums. -OR- play as a blue robot dude with whos fricken arm(!) shoots giant evil 4 legged robots by the ocean!
    #2: play as a gang banger punching other gang bangers for some reason. Probably "Street Cred". -OR- play as a blue hedgehog that runs 100 miles an hour jumps up the sides of high rise buildings to fight a mideviel knight who is out for his daily constitutional on the roof of a 9 story building!
    #3: play as a gang banger punching other - oh forget it. It's the same thing as the last one -OR- play as a renegade acrobatic prince who sneaks up on confused crossdressing bird weirdos for some reason. Probably to do a formal meet and greet and exchange pleasantries.

I rest my case.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    why not go the whole hog and release a must-have peripheral for the Wii called the Puh. They could get Albert Pujoles to feature in the adverts, and the peurile marketing pretty much writes itself
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Dreamcast" was slightly more stupid, and you see where that got SEGA.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    The Dreamcast was a great system. Maybe if it wasn't for the retarded name it could have gotten more folks to buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not being serious, are you? Please tell me you're not being serious, because that's one of the stupidest things I've read on these boards. The Dreamcast's failure had nothing to do with its name.

The Dreamcast failed because of three little letters: D-V-D. In its first year in the US, the Dreamcast was breaking all sorts of sales records, but in Japan it was a different story. At the time, DVD players weren't nearly as common in Japan as they were in the US (for some reason, DVD players were exorbitantly expensive there), so consumers held out for the PS2 because it served as an affordable DVD player. For quite a while in Japan, the PS2 was selling a ratio of 0.5 games to every system (that's 2 consoles per every game sold)... because initially, people in Japan were buying the PS2 solely as a DVD player and not a gaming machine.

That is what killed the Dreamcast: it flopped in Japan because it wasn't a DVD player. When sales finally slowed in the US due to SONY's massive hype machine (OMFG EMOTION ENGINE IS JUST LIKE THE MATRIX I SWEAR), the lack of sales in Japan (combined with SEGA's huge, lingering debt from the past decade) forced SEGA to abandon the system (and the hardware business altogether).
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sony has also had an expensive failure recently with UMD movies for PSP. People just aren't buying them from what I've heard. The movies studios who all jumped on the band-wagon aren't impressed.

Keyser: Makes sense now. Maybe the DVD issue could also have been responsible for the GameCube's lack of success.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

That said, Nintendo is also the company that managed "Donky Kong" when actually intending "Monkey kong".

[/ QUOTE ]

oi sandbag, we cleared this up earlier
    http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/donkeykong.asp
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sony has also had an expensive failure recently with UMD movies for PSP. People just aren't buying them from what I've heard. The movies studios who all jumped on the band-wagon aren't impressed.

Keyser: Makes sense now. Maybe the DVD issue could also have been responsible for the GameCube's lack of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but I've heard that Sony is starting to put UMD's in with all of their DVD's, so it might rectify that problem yet. Not exactly what they'd have hoped for I'm sure, but it could work out.

Also, I still think that the Gamecube's mediocre success was due more to their marketing than anything. Nintendo is still seen as a kid's thing by the majority it seems like. It doesn't have the appeal the PS2 (or the Xbox) had to the more mature majority. DVD woulda helped though, yea.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    oh o if it has a dumb name you wont buy ? that is simply silly and shows alot of common sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

ever heard of this: mitsubishi car naming screwup ?
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm - yeah I heard this on the news lastnight... I hope that they change the name from "wee" here in theUK/Europe like they did with the Snes/ super Famicom, Genesis/ MEgadrive... wee has such a different connotation here than Japan it seems.

On a side note... http://carltonwii.ytmnd.com/
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Yea, but I've heard that Sony is starting to put UMD's in with all of their DVD's, so it might rectify that problem yet. Not exactly what they'd have hoped for I'm sure, but it could work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably what they should have done in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I still think that the Gamecube's mediocre success was due more to their marketing than anything. Nintendo is still seen as a kid's thing by the majority it seems like. It doesn't have the appeal the PS2 (or the Xbox) had to the more mature majority. DVD woulda helped though, yea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mature majority is debatable given the response to the naming of the Revolution.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    i might be crazy, but I think the name will encourage the children to be bored of having their mind in the gutter.