Home General Discussion

Revolution has changed its name to wii

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
i guess too many asians couldnt pronouce revolution so now its just wii as in "we". pretty goofy

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, that's completely bonkers! I was really liking the name "Revolution". Nintendo Wii rolls off the tongue in an odd way. I like their description of the meaning behind Wii, though.

Wii.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    That is the single most stupid name I ever heard frown.gif

Mark my word on it: This is the death of Nintendo outside of Japan frown.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha i doubt it will be the death of nintendo, its just the name, but its stll a little.....
    theretardedallstarsresizedcopy.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    WTF Nintendo! WHHHYYYYY!!!!

"Dreamcast" was slightly more stupid, and you see where that got SEGA.

Great. This is just great frown.gif

[edit]
    It instantly reminds me of WWII, you know, the war the Japanese lost? WTF!!!!!!!!!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Sure can't complain about the names originality though. Beats the hell out of Playstation(X) or XBox(n).
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It's so wussy though, I won't feel manly when I buy it. They should have called it the Nintendo Deathcrusher
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Wii? They do know that that's practically PISS as in URINE in the UK right?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Uh, a pour choice for a name won't ruin the systems playability and level of fun. It's a different console and has a different name. Get over it.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    That is gay. Really gay. Nintendo may be Japs but fuck me, get a name that works with the majority of the english population. It really does remind me of world war 2. If its pronunced "we" why not just spell it that way?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i think its original, something that lacks in nowadays gaming undustry, and nintendo shows it in all aspects.

F U N
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will hurt people's willingness to buy it though.

I'll still get it, but I think this is a case of Nintendo snatching defeat from the clutches of victory.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    HAhahahahaha. I can feel my sony stock going up as I type!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I thought GO was much better. 5th console, go means five in japanese etc. Nintendo GO!

Wii is a little strange looking at first IMHO. And the aspect of it looking like WWII at first glance is slightly crap. I agree, in the UK this will be thier biggest flop.

You bought a wee?
    I want a wee for christmas.
    Lets play on my wee.
    sony vs wee.

wee means piss in the UK as daz states.

I very saddened to annouce that my friend actually named this console as part of his job. He headed the team responsible here in Japan for the the branding.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think its a dumb name but i also think nobody makes a decision based on name, i was going to buy one before i am still going to buy one, the name is just something you put on the outside. if my girlfriends name was doo doo i would still be dating her. not too many people blindly drop 200 bones on a whim and thats what you would be doing if the name alone was a factor at all in a purchase. its funny cause this same type of contraversy arose when donkey kong came out, nintendo america thought nobody in the whole world would play a game called donkey kong.and we all know how that turned out.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

You bought a wee?
    I want a wee for christmas.
    Lets play on my wee.
    sony vs wee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah yeah. "I played with my wee last night" Awesome.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasn't donkey kong a spelling mistake anyway?

[edit]ah, http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/donkeykong.asp
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no it was actually suppose to be called donkey kong, miamoto used a japanese english dictionary and found donkey as a word to mean stubborn, the translation is suppose to be stubborn ape.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah I heard that. Wii is original much like the systems design and fundamentals. I was a fan of Revolution, but "Wii" is good aswell.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah wii is always good. Im going to keep my wii in a cabinet in my front room. Periodically I'll get it out and play with it.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man Arsh, I hope you're right, but I look around and see a world of people buying iPods because they are called iPods, and not because they play music.

The Dreamcast was a great system. Maybe if it wasn't for the retarded name it could have gotten more folks to buy it.
  • shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadows polycounter lvl 18
    oh wii,

well the super duper xbox 360 or playstation 3 names sure wont make the games on those consoles any better.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really see a problem with dreamcast. I still have the system hooked up to my TV and play it very often, some of the later games are easily ps2 quality in graphics. Although it was more about the games on this system. They had really good branding in Japan, but awful mistargeted "too clever for its own good" marketing for the rest of the world.

Kind of retarded when you consider that SEGA is an American company.

Sega distroyed the dreamcast, not it's punters. Yu Sazuki almost single handedly spent the entire companies kitty on three games that hardly anyone bought.

They still do really well here in the Arcades.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    So now it's Wii vs. Emacs 360?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wii rolls off the tongue in an odd way.

[/ QUOTE ]

titter
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure eventually people will get tired of the urine, penis, and french-people jokes.

Wait, no wii won't. Wii'll all bii goiing into stores askiing for wii. And when wii get it, wii'll go home and play with our wii. Wii might iiven share our wii with our friends. Iiven four people can share the same wii. It iiven opens up the possibilitii of matchiing up our wii with someone elses wii across the world. Wii will open up a new era of digital wii'ing.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    lolol
    Gay. Simple as that. WE? WTF!?

What is wrong with marketing people!?
    Xbox360 should have been Xbox2, and Nintendo should have farken stuck with Revolution. Playstation 3 is farken PLAYSTATION 3!!! It's NOT PlaystationCELL3 or anything retarded. Keep it simple - KEEP IT SANE.

Ugh....wii
    GAY.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Oh and Hawken, please tell me where your friend lives, so I can shoot him.

With Wii, of course.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wii? They do know that that's practically PISS as in URINE in the UK right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just in the UK, in my neck of the woods WEE-WEE is "baby talk" for piss and or penis. I think its safe to say the big N just put one more big Nail in thier coffin.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Such a fuss over a name.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    They are going waa waa over the wii.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have to give them credit, everyone and their mom is talking about nintendo today, reguardless if you like the name or not. its way more publicity than if they just kept the name same. i havent heard so much talk about a topic at work ever, everyone has said something, even the korean kids who never talk to anyone, some of them cant even speak english. nintendo is causing a stir if you like it or not, there is nobody in the office waving the 5th, my brother even called me from school to comment. this is the kind of publicity money cant buy, they are making everyone say nintendo today.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    wiiiii.gif
    When you're a kid and you wanna go "Wiiii!", but you ain't got drugs yet...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The good news is that it's almost the Nintendo WRYYYYYYYYYYY, which would be awesome.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Was bored at lunch:
    owiily.jpg
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Uhhhhhh confused.gif

Hope they are not being seriel.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you have to give them credit, everyone and their mom is talking about nintendo today, reguardless if you like the name or not. its way more publicity than if they just kept the name same. i havent heard so much talk about a topic at work ever, everyone has said something, even the korean kids who never talk to anyone, some of them cant even speak english. nintendo is causing a stir if you like it or not, there is nobody in the office waving the 5th, my brother even called me from school to comment. this is the kind of publicity money cant buy, they are making everyone say nintendo today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    coming soon from nintendo, yet more gimmicks.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    All I know is that I'm not gonna call it "Wii". I'm not gonna call it "Revolution" either. I'm sorta undecided between "Wiivolution" and "WiiBox", but I think I am leaning towards "WiiBox". It just rolls off the toungue in a fun way.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who is talking about Nintendo today was already aware of the Revolution. They're talking out of shock at how strange "Wii" is. Nintendo is gaining nothing from that talk. On the other hand, I've heard a couple people claim that they're not going to buy the console now, which, is an undeniably bad thing for Ninty.

Any publicity that comes from this and gets exposure to people who have never heard of the console before will be of the "Nintendo named it's console something dumb" variety. That is not good publicity. Maybe there are huge untapped markets out there that want a games machine named after urine, but I doubt it.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    oh o if it has a dumb name you wont buy ? that is simply silly and shows alot of common sense...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that has to be realized with this name is that it reenforced nintendo's already bad rep in NA about being a kiddy company. Really, the GC sold worse than the Xbox and PS2 here in part for that reason. Naming their new console something extremely kiddish like Wii will deffinatly cause a lot of people who might've thought about getting a revolution to dismiss the console as a kid's toy.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    The name isnt going to effect me in anyway when i buy it, but yeah i wonder what the majority of people will think.

The name is close looking to Wi-Fi which is a common term these days. Maybe it could click. Of couse just pronouncing Wii in terms of a console system is kinda creepy.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've yet to hear a better console name than the Megadrive. Give it some welly nintento!

edit:
    The name is crap but Im still dying to have a wii.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    What a fickle bunch we consumers are.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. As it's already inspired several funny images in this thread. laugh.gif

It sounds fun. Rather than sounding like something for skaters and emo kids. I liked Revolution, but I can get use to this instead. I can't wait to answer with "oh, I think I'll go home and play with my Wii." Defying convention.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    still not as retarded as X-Box 360. you have to work pretty hard to top that one.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    lolol
    Gay. Simple as that. WE? WTF!?

What is wrong with marketing people!?
    Xbox360 should have been Xbox2, and Nintendo should have farken stuck with Revolution. Playstation 3 is farken PLAYSTATION 3!!! It's NOT PlaystationCELL3 or anything retarded. Keep it simple - KEEP IT SANE.

Ugh....wii
    GAY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everyone that the Wii name is absolutely awful. However, in the Xbox case, MS had a reason for the 360.

The argument (whether true or not) is that many consoles are bought for children by parents who don't know anything about them. What people do know is that a higher number is generally considered newer or better or whatever else. Sticking with traditional incremental naming, MS was faced with putting out the Xbox2 against the Playstation3. 2 vs 3, obviously, with the concern being that the clueless shopper would go with Sony's '3' over the MS '2'. It's not coincidental that MS came up with a new name that also uses a '3' and then adds to it. Sure, the 360 name doesn't make practical sense, but marketing always trumps logic.

On a slightly similar note, I'm sure many of you noticed how quickly Alias crunched through Maya releases in the early days. When Maya originally came out, 3DS Max was already up to version 3 (possibly 4, can't recall). Alias kept punching through revisions at a rate of about one a year until the current state when they're generally never more than a single release number back. It's stupid, but to some folks, '8' is still better than '7' when buying anything...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    still not as retarded as X-Box 360. you have to work pretty hard to top that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

How dare you defy the name of the christ box!

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/693/693211p1.html

(I actually like the name Xbox 360 a fair amount. Xbox is a fine name, and 360 is a more creative way of saying revolution and it's better than Xbox2)
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Well...at first I'm just like "Whatever...they can name it Wii (we) if they want..." then I remembered that people will be playing with their Wii by firmly grasping their "controller" with their hands and waving it around like a baton. Then I also remembered the idea that if someone didn't like playing with their Wii by waving their "controller" around like a baton, they can stuff the thing into a larger "controller"

http://ronveenstra.com/images/rev_cradle.jpg

I'm not trying to insinuate anything with this...really. I'm not. Honest.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Stupid Stupid Stupid marketing decision.

Stupid.

I'll still buy one probably, but certainly some mainstream customers that might have bought one will decide not to.
    I wonder if people inside Nintendo brought up the obvious problems with the name before they finalized their decision.