[ QUOTE ]
    Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    it's the subject matter. it's easier to make more interesting and engaging quests when they're about skulking around and killing people, instead of say, fishing or retrieving some arbitrary object. smile.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wonder why the dark brotherhood quests are so engaging compared to the rest of the quests. It feels as if they were directed or whatever by someone completely different.

[/ QUOTE ]

thieves guild is quite good too, i finished that. that last mission was a doozy.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    daz, I have to agree with you, although Im having constant speeds, and fluid speeds at that, I do think that it could have been faster on my system, and I know that my system belongs to the minority that plays the game well..

Even then I've had a dozen crashes, and the starting prisonscene is weirdly enough one of the slower (not the slowest) scenes in the game, as others have experienced too.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the dungeons fly around at 60+fps for me (and look fantastic), but then Im nearing a corner and the game suddenly chugs, 'cos it's calculating AI or playing an animation or *something*. Either way, that slight chug acts as a badguy alert for me. 'oh my cpu spiked, must be an npc nearby'. It's pretty ridiculous. Other than that, I love raiding dungeons. The game now freezes on exit for me, and has been doing so for a couple of days without me changing anything. Not just crashes, but literally locks my system up and there's nothing I can do but reboot. So now I ctrl alt delete>kill oblivion to exit the game to avoid the freeze. Hah, it's such a love/hate relationship that I have with this game.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

thieves guild is quite good too, i finished that. that last mission was a doozy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! A little bit drawn out, but that was one hell of a heist! laugh.gif

I got bored with my Imperial character, so I started over with a Dark Elf Rogue. I also went ahead and installed that slow-level mod mentioned a few pages back. The pacing of the game is actually surprisingly different. Rather than running up to monsters and bashing their heads in, I'm sneaking through the shadows and dispatching them with arrow sneak-attacks. I've also mixed up a few poisons to apply to my blade if the enemies get too close. grin.gif

P.S. The only real problem I've been having with the game is that it crashes on quit. Doesn't really bother me, as I'm already done playing at that point...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, maybe it's the harddrive caching up on something?, I'm blessed enough to have a raptor, so when it loads, it loads in pace with the game, so I haven't experienced those pauses, but it does chew alot even then..

resource-hungry game.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    So basically the game becomes the most fun if you turn it into a kind og Grand Theft Horse?
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, no more so than just tanking it out like I did with my other guy. Breaking into houses is just a nice change of pace after clobbering Dremora for a few days. crazy.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    And slap around teh harlots, pimp!

I'm starting to get annoyed about bethsoft doing some kind of dice/ea thing, going on to releasing expansions and selling things before the game has been fixed.

They've already released the horsey-armour on xboxlive, or so I've heard, and I doubt they'll fix anything more than showstopping bugs.

Interface, thirdperson camera, and performance will probably stay the same, forever.

Saying all that, and agreeing that this game is a mess, I still like it equally as much as morrowind, in a different way, but not more than daggerfall.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh, things seem to be ramping up too fast for my hand to hand fighter, every battle has turned into a life or death situation frown.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ugh, things seem to be ramping up too fast for my hand to hand fighter, every battle has turned into a life or death situation frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That happens if you level up any non-combat major skills.
    Like my assassin has lots of alchemy and security. Now i pretty much have to sit in the shadows and shoot people (at normal difficulty) and it takes like 5 arrows at 3x damage multiplier to kill your average enemy.

The whole stealth system is very buggy-weird too. Its like sometimes im in a shadow far far away and shoot someone, now it will run towards me like it knows where i am only it will stop like in front of me and starts to act like he does not know where i am. It only started to happen when i got to decent skill level. I think they have some poor formulas for calculating stealth so if you are in very dark you can do whatever you want and nobody will see you.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Damn... I think Gothic3 switched to useing that engine too

[/ QUOTE ]
    AFAIK they use their own engine...
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who uses their own engine?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    https://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1

Yep, they are charging for mods, and probably holding the model importer hostage. It's a cash grab. I 2nd eld here, it's incredibly stupid albiet profitable i'm sure to release pay expansions before a patch. Bah, i'm done with this crap. They lost a customer, i'm throwing this thing on ebay.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Who uses their own engine?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oops, sorry - must have clicked 'reply' instead of 'quote'...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That happens if you level up any non-combat major skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it looks like my character is a lost cause now, it looks like they aren't going to throw any bones to hand to hand fighters like brass knuckles or spikey gauntlets.

Would it be better to only have combat related skills as your major skills if your a fighter and just spend time leveling up your minor skills? I mainly wanted a character who fought hand to hand and augmented his attacks with magical buffs/debuffs and healing.

Oh yeah, my only bug so far is no speech outside of actually talking to people, I had to turn subtitles on so I wouldn't miss out on anything.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    actually if you loot the one chest in the arena district where two people are usually fighting during the day,at night they'll be asleep and you can steal a key off the one, and open their little lockbox and inside it, is like 100 gold, and these wristbands that fortifies hand to hand by 20.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can practice on training dummies?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    How's that ebay sale going Downsizer? ;-P
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was asking Justin. I thought the training dummies were for actual use.

I actually traded my copy for a portable media player. 2.5inch enclosure that supports most movie/image/audio types, standard av connection. You can find them on ebay for about 50 bucks shipped from china. i traded with a friend of mine who thought 2.5 inch was regular IDE and could'nt use the device. I had a 60gb notebook drive lying around, and *bamf* i'm happy. no more beating my head against a wall trying to play this thing. i'll pick up a copy when it's patched or GOTY bundled with all the should-be-free addon packs.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Well, no more Oblivion for me. It breaks my heart. Is it just me, or does microsoft like to throw the shittiest disc drives possible into their consoles? Mine scratched oblivion beyond belief. Damn you, MS, DAMN YOU!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    AFAIK they use their own engine...

[/ QUOTE ]

They did with Gothic1&2 but according this this page:
    http://gothic.gamaxx.de/en/index.php?page=facts.php

[ QUOTE ]
    # [WOG] [GS News] The game bryo engine will be the basic Gothic engine.However most of it will be changed from the team.
    # [O] They’ll use EMotionFX engine for the representation of the characters .
    # [PCGH] Gothic 3 will be able to use Hyper threading (Intel Pentium)

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly (see last point) they seem to use multicore (Hyperthreading is that sort of) cpus.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    On the subject of cpu's, after a bit more fiddling around, it seems that my 6800 Ultra is not what's holding back the performance of the game for me. I went crazy upping resolutions and AA, and my framerate is no different at 640x480 compared to 1600x1200

Which brings me back to my earlier conclusion of slow game code. So I guess my 2.8ghz cpu is what's slowing me up. That and HD access speed. Oh well, at least I now know I can crank up the rez with no impact!
  • Weiser_Cain
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Old'd 6 pages back, I'm afraid, Weiser smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I found this when looking for help for a quest. Everyone should contribute a little something, it's shaping up nicely. I've added a bit of help already.

http://www.oblivionportal.com/wikiwalk/index.php/Main_Page
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's the Gamebryo engine, and the latest official export tools are for max 5, so good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Before I left 5000ft, we were using Max8, and exporting to Gamebryo, which we used for STACKED. Perhaps they aren't public domain yet, though....
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, the only public domain ones are for Max3-5 AFAIK. The latest ones would be available to devs of course. It'd be pretty stupid if the engine creators didn't support tools for their engine tongue.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, so I hit level 75 tonight and I have completed this horrible piece of trash game at least a dozen times using every possible race / class combination. What an un-enjoyable piece of shit! Thanks for nothing, Bethesda! If I waste another one of the 600 hours I have already put into this game for the love of god please shoot me. What an awful game playing experience this has been for me.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    True to your sig, good man.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I believe AstroZombie was directing the full force of his considerable sarcasm at Downsizer.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, no more Oblivion for me. It breaks my heart. Is it just me, or does microsoft like to throw the shittiest disc drives possible into their consoles? Mine scratched oblivion beyond belief. Damn you, MS, DAMN YOU!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every MS fanboy on Slashdot would now claim that that only happens when you turn the console 90° during operation (which they've only started claiming since they decided that may have been a POSSIBLE cause, it's like saying cancer can happen in smokers therefore everyone with cancer was a heavy smoker).
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Possible spoiler:

I totally dig the quest where you go to meet two hot maidens in a farmhouse for a bit of medieval rumpy pumpy, and you have to walk past an Oblivion gate to get there. Haha, awesome. One has to get ones priorities straight, right?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Can you kill them after you're done to get your money back and keep their blood soaked panties as trophies? 'Cause that's pretty high up in my priorities on things to do before I go to hell.
    Should I apologize in advance?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so what you're saying.... is that my opinions must be horribly wrong, and that in fact i may have bought a bootleg bugged beta copy of the game? god that must be it. my opinions and help with tweaks and gameplay are completely invalid. wow i'm such an idiot. thanks guys you really cleared me up.

*thumbs up*
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer you like made a new world record in missing the point.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i got the point. hell yeah i am playing it as much as i do, i paid 60 bucks for that garbage. why would'nt i try to save my investment? most of my play has felt like being a beta tester.

you let other artists critique art and nothing personal is said. same should apply here. i'm giving valid well tested crits and tweaks. i dont think that calls for unwarranted personal jabs. i may have gone overboard with the first comment, and its removed, but i'm sick of providing factual information and being reprimanded for it.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Downsizer you like made a new world record in missing the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOOOSH! There it goes again ooo.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, being hit by pointy things hurts, doesn't it? Probably best if they miss.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not stupid and the point was made. i clarified, i played it as much as i did to find the saving grace of a $60 investment. i just dont like it. no need to get all your panties in a bunch about it and start being jerks.

and b1ll it's *sigh* not sigh**
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... a bit of medieval rumpy pumpy...

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, that goes in my "everyday mental dictionary" right away. =]
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    eyy, I just got the game :]. Ill keep it brief because I just got back from work and had me dinner, and want to get stuck in.. I gotta say, having played and loved morrowind, and knowing exactly what sort of thing bethesda are going to provide (not farcry, doom, hl2, whatever) Im having a whale of a time. All the tweaks and patches mentioned are installed, and aside from a bit of slowdown here and there its all gravy.. not on full settings of course laugh.gif

Really love the combat system.. aside from the *very slight pause killing someone daz mentioned, its incredibly brutal.. When someone goes down in this game they go DOWN. Even just twanging a mudcrab with an arrow smashes it into the ground and sends it sprawling across the sand.. great stuff.

One thing that really annoyed me however is how all the facegen stuff is really crap with the beast races. I chose an argonian, and if you get the sliders wrong you end up with a big pair of human lips plastered across the nose, and an extra pair of nostrils.. Also its pretty hard to choose what colour skin you want because its all set up for human skin tones. It took ages to get something aproximating green lizard skin, which really should not be dificult.

Aaaand the american voices are a bit offputting too.. I'm sorry but the last thing a guy in chainmail and armour should be saying is something like 'That was my Goddamn village!'

Theres plenty you can say negatively about this game, but none of it in my opinion strongly detracts from its core appeal.
    Anyway Im off for some deer hunting target practice, then perhaps a dip in a lake to search for pearls..
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started over and created an Assassin and I gotta say, wow, what a totally different experience! After leaving the beginning area I went straight to the imperial city and started spelunking it's sewers, it's a nice change of pace from my brawler who basically barges in and knocks people around like Mike Tyson.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was getting at! I didn't think that the game would have much replayability, but the type of character that you create can really change the game for you. grin.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I made a mess of the Mystic Library...

mess.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    MoP broke the library, rad! I haven't tried it, but If you keep that shit up do you get arrested? and does it always stay in that state? It's so much fun trying to break this game.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, well it's stayed in that state so far! I've been in and out a few times and it's all still lying around. I just fired off a few area-effect fireballs into the shelves, everything goes flying laugh.gif

Unfortunately I don't think you get arrested, or even noticed for doing it - try running around on a shop counter desk and knocking all the stuff on the floor ... I don't know how feasible it would have been to program the game so that when a certain number of NPC-owned items are knocked on the floor, the NPC gets angry.

However I did manage something funny and broke the game a little, there was a wizard giving a lecture to a bunch of students at the Arcane University, and I just walked into him as he was talking and pushed him right into a corner behind some rocks so he couldn't get out ... he ended up walking into the wall for about 20 seconds, then vanished entirely into the wall.
    I passed him coming down the stairs on the way out about 10 seconds later...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I really like this game (heck I really like this series). I have a set time each evening when everything else is done and it's 'game time'. I start and finish with my character at home, sat in front of the fire in his jim-jams with a nice vintage wine and a hunk of cheese. He's surrounded by shelves full of items brought back from his adventures, and rerwards/presents given to him by other characters.

Am I sad? Probably. Am I happy? Most definitely. I can see me playing this for a long time to come - bugs and all.