Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Big fat art dump - Age of Empires 3 (lots of pics)

Replies

• Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I did some high poly generated characters but they didn't render out so well since max doesn't render normal maps, so until max does render normals, they wont be on my site.

[/ QUOTE ]

What version of max are you using cause it does render normal maps?

Great fucking work btw. Juan can have your children that your proud of, just let me give birth to your bastard son laugh.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Use a "Normal Bump" map in the bump slot of any texture. It renders the normal maps fine. I've been doing it here at work for some pre-rendered cinematics.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    not in max 6 they dont. We're using ancient technology here!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    DH, I'm pretty sure you can download a free plugin for Max6 to render normal maps in scanline renderer. It's called "GNormal".

You can find it here: http://www.3dmaxer.dk/plugins.asp?r=5
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    i'll check it out, thanks mop, hopefully it displays normals on mirrored UV's correctly.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    you know playing some of the games that have been released recently that feature normals + specs etc. etc. and thinking about how you didn't paint any spec for cloth/flesh, the more it seems like a prudent choice. some of the first games to feature normal maps do indeed suffer from virtually every surface reading as glossy or wet plastic.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    thats one of the things I was thinking about when doing this gauss, if you look at a person you generally dont pick up the specular on their skin, and most cloth isn't shiny at all. It helps get rid of some of the plasticy look, once a sub surface fake becomes more commonly used I think flesh/cloth should look a lot better than they do atm.