MGS4 + Nintendo Revolution controller revealed :O

DeathTrip
polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    actually it seems that kojima has confirmed raiden to make a comeback in mgs4. i mean, you cannot let grandpa handle this alone!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    yay mgs4

and i like raiden, would like to get a chance to play as liquid though.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    live-from-tgs-iwatas-keynote-20050915074553984.jpg

Controller acts like a mouse in real-space 3D

Looks really cool imo! I'd like to see it in action though. revcon_screen001.jpg
    revcon_screen003.jpg

revcon_screen004.jpg
    revcon_screen002.jpg
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    nintendo is known to make superb controllers, and i must say i find the gamecube controller the most confortable and intuitive. This one looks superb and it looks like nintendo is exploring new posibilities and pushing the envelope once again.

i am really looking forward to revolution now
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I was gonna go to TGS tomorrow but instead I have opted to spend the day in bed with a woman.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I like it, very innovative and looks comfortable as hell, but...

I just wish they'd slap a second joystick on the right side instead of just a dpad (say goodbye to fighting games on revolution?) And there's just not enough buttons to push, and thats probably due to the fact that its designed poorly for more than 4 buttons (at least when using two joysticks)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I see polygons, this makes me happy.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Freaking bizarre. Never would have guessed this was it.

Hope the cord between the two can be made a bit longer.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    these japanese artists are fucking sick!!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And there's just not enough buttons to push, and thats probably due to the fact that its designed poorly for more than 4 buttons (at least when using two joysticks)

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remember that it is also a 3D mouse (at least that's what DeathTrip says), which gives you a whole new range of control. Holding down the "A" button while moving the left controller 33º to the XZ axis and 12º to the ZY axis could have a completely different function than moving the left controller in the exact direction while holding down "B" instead of "A".

I'm guessing it is going to be a godsend for FPS games. You move the controller around to "mouse look," and use the D-pad for forward/reverse/strafe left/strafe right.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    This is a great day, for freedom.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From IGN
    Main Controller Features

* 3D Pointing. Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.
    * Tilt Sensitive. Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.
    * Buttons Included. Has a trigger on its backside, face buttons, and a D-Pad.
    * Multifunctional. Has an expansion port which can be used with different types of controller peripherals. Analog stick with two trigger buttons planned for left hand.
    * Wireless. Totally wire-free. Currently there are no details on the max distance, source or power, or otherwise.
    * Rumble Built-in. Included as a standard in all the controllers.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

crazy.gif

Too bad no videos of the demonstrations are online.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think its a horrible move on Nintendo's part and that its going to alienate a lot of gamers. However, I also cant wait to try one of these out.

God knows how you'd play something like mario with that...
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Finally.... welcome to next gen gaming.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGS4 trailer... http://tallah.org/video/mgs4.wmv

*fap fap fap*

FPS... Forget Pre-rendered Stuff!
    18.gif18.gif18.gif
    (think back to e3...)
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    When i saw the TV remote.. i thought... "Whaaaaaaaat?" then you learn about its funtionality which has me intrigued. then when i saw the joystick hookup I was definately excited.

For those who dont like it.. I'm sure there will be addon controlers that look more standard.. either by nintendo or 3rd party people.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    My first reaction was "looks just like the standard Gyration remote".
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Nooo! Dont steal my FPS dominance from the PC. Argh! Might have to give this a try. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, the MGS4 trailer is pretty special. Anyone know of a better quality vid for d/l?

And yeah wow, I love the dig at the Killzone 2 movie! So awesome!

*edit* some high res stills on IGN now:

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/img_3074907.html

What's interesting to me is that although there is plenty of normal mapping going on in these scenes, I suspect the faces of main characters might be using realtime subdivision. I'm not seeing any polygonal edges even in closeups.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    The MGS trailer is certainly pretty, but man was that long and boring. On top of that I get the feeling the next chapter is the adventures of Sanke and Rob the Robotic buddy.

While I'm sure it'll be bizzare as hell story-wise the gameplay should be quite solid.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Countdown to the release of the high res. trailer. Only hours away apparently:

http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/japanese/mgs4_04.html
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yes, that video was interesting but i hope this doesn't indicate that mgs4 will look and play like your average first person boredom. sooo tired of these games...
    apparently there's some footage missing that's supposed to show raiden (hehe). let's see what the official version of the trailer looks like.
    snake seems to suffer from foxdie or what was that thing with the injection?

oh, and weird controller. good to see that nintendo did some homework. hopefully that thing works as advertised and won't be possible to rip-off for the other consoles. hopefully - for nintendo, of course wink.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Damn that looks hot. MGS was the title which got me (a PC die-hard) jealous of the PlayStation, and I've played them all to death since. I can't wait 'till the other guys get into the office, and that controller looks way too interesting.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGS4 is looking nice. Too bad it's MGS or I might pick it up.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    kdr, your crazy. I've never met anyone who didn't like MGS. =p
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Too bad no videos of the demonstrations are online.

[/ QUOTE ]

deathtrip: It's currently 5.50 pm on friday here in Japan. TGS is Tomorrow, and sunday. I don't think anyone is going to see clips of it for at least 24 hours from this post.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't play it but I hate stealth games so I fuigure I won't like it. And please, no "you can play it any way you want". That's what they said about Deus Ex, too.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I didn't play it but I hate stealth games so I fuigure I won't like it. And please, no "you can play it any way you want". That's what they said about Deus Ex, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a huge fan of the series, but MSG was probably the best game I ever played for the PS1, hands down. I haven't really played any of the subsequent games, though, since I don't own a PS2.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    God knows how you'd play something like mario with that...

I guess you simply need to tilt the remote 90 degrees? That turns it into a rather classic Nes controller, wich makes sense since one is supposed to be able to play old classic N games on the machine, right?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess you simply need to tilt the remote 90 degrees? That turns it into a rather classic Nes controller, wich makes sense since one is supposed to be able to play old classic N games on the machine, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I noticed too, but it is also my only problem with the controller. I was expecting to be able to play old SNES games, but with this controller only NES and GB games will be possible frown.gif

Otherwise it is a nice idea, and I will definitly give it a try.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Wow thats gonna be a steep learning curve.
    Hopefully this makes this system, rather then end up with another flop.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    re:mgs4
    so far, mgs games have been rather limited in regards to the player's freedom. for me it's less of a "real" game and more of a well thought out mix of interactive and not-so-interactive entertainment.
    right now i have a hard time imaginingg how big or small that game would be in comparison to mgs3 considering how time-consuming it is to create assets of the quality shown in the video.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't look friendly at all. Wow so who'd have thought it 2 year ago that the new best controller would be coming from the XBOX! and in last the PlayStation?!
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I am just dying to play with that new controller. Hell, I'm dying to play with the new games Nintendo has up there sleeves. Especially Wario Ware using this laugh.gif
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Best controller last generation was by far the GC imo.
    It wasn't too big (X-Box), wasn't too small (Playstation) .. all of the buttons were in the right place so there was no damaging yourself getting to them.

The Revolution controller looks interesting. It's certainly nothing like the prototype that a few companies had seen. You can still see the roots in there.

I think something people readily forget is that the GameCube controller will also be usable on the Revolution.

The controller is also designed to be used in 2 ways.
    In the standard Remote Style position or on it's side like the NES. With most of the motion control being in the motion sensor should provide a nice interesting number of games. I certainly like the idea of each part being seperate... I mean how many people do you know who sit there trying to twist controllers and move thier arms around to try and jump higher.

I think they're designing it more for these people.
    Guess we'll just have to see, as Nintendo have said that we'll be seeing it early-mid 2007 so a lot can still change. Nice to see one of the companies is being creative though.

Despite looking like something from the Coleco or Atari 2600 still looks a damn sight better and better to use than the PS3 controller wink.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    apple are making consoles now?

the remote controller looks like a mobile phone, given how many of them are sold, they probably decided to tap into that design.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two games everybody is waiting for on the Revolution:

1. The first Star Wars game.

2. The first Hentai game.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I think this was very smart for Nintendo. Some may disagree, but this is the coolest looking console of the next gen. machines. The remote will make non-gamers feel comfortabe with the machine. Most first party games could be played with just the analog stick half of the controller, and leave the remote half alone. I hated the GC controller at first (I still think the 64 had the best controller), but I learned to like it. Since this isn't like anything I have used before, I'm going to have to reserve complete judgement until it is out.

In the past Nintendo has made a bunch of dumb-ass decisions (even if you ignore the VB). So far I think this is going to be the best machine in a long time. Revolution: Internet (check), DVD player (check), disk media (check), non-kiddy design (check), new REAL mario game (check)
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    There's a keynote speech by Iwata up on Gamespot.
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/news_6133389.html
    There's also some video of how games could be played. The one that really got me excited was the flashlight example and the sword fighting one.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    great fps control on a console, rts on a console. Lucasarts better make a great lightsaber jedi game with this thing.

video here:
    http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

fucking brilliant
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Wonder if there'll be a 'Way of the Samurai' game for this system? I'd buy the whole thing just for that.
    This is pretty ballsy to launch a system with such a non-standard controler.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    who sees a Classic collection of NES games coming up? smile.gif

controller looks cool, and with the ability to support the GC controller then wow! all the control you could ever want

still need to watch thta MGS4 trailer.....
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Collection? I thought they were offering a download service for NES, SNES and N64 games.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Though, I wonder how smooth the gameplay will actually be with these new controllers.

This is just a marketing video, so they're waving it around like nobody's business. Let's wait and see how much of an impact framerate has on this targeting system.

Also, how would you calibrate something like this? What about someone standing on the far right of the television? Will their aiming be off?
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hm this looks sooo weird. It kinda reminds me off an odd sextoy....guess, thats just me..
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    "Yup. And this mechanism is equipped with with a Cell Processor." - Otacon just before the robot trips over laugh.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I looks pretty, but I don't like the design for gaming. Then again, I haven't played a console in years, so maybe I'm not seeing the potential for this.
    On a seperate note, one thing I'd like to see is a way to integrate controller storage with the console wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The MGS4 video is simply breathtaking. Should be quite amazing. All of that going on with a screaming framerate is pretty damn impressive.

As far as the revolution controller goes, this will be the only Nintendo system I won't buy. They just took it to far. Doesn't appeal to me in the least.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    1.) I'm excited about the Revolutions controller and will probably be buying one. Cheap price, too.

2.) That MGS trailer is the first time I've ever been excited about an MGS game... *ever*. Really top notch production on that one.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    it's quite interesting that the general response here is positive, perhaps artist are more opening minded about going things, other messageboard absolutely hate the controller without take the effort to read into waht nintendo is offering.

MGS video was real special, i agree with daz. Japanese have a way with creativity and imagination.