Home General Discussion

if british beer is so good, where can I get it?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
alright tough guys, tell me what beer to get and it's gotta be a lager

Replies

• JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    British lager sucks. If you want lager get a Heineken (Dutch) or Warsteiner (German). The only english beer you want to try out is a Guiness. Black beer, if you're in the mood it can taste really good.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    english beer ... Guiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Whoever said the British make good lager?!

If this is to do with that other thread about Zbrush, you want to read it more carefully. I was taking the piss out of Weiser the whiner for not being able to handle the fact that his country isn't famous for good beer. But I never said British beer was good. It makes good bitter perhaps, but not lager. If you want a good lager look to Germany or Holland. Personally I like Red Stripe, which is Jamaican. I also have a distinct fondness for Newcastle brown ale, which is English. All the top beer makers are international traders. Where can you find them? Walk into a bar. If you are 21 there's a person stood behind it that will sell you some. ( just don't ask for Budweiser or Miller ;-) )

Guiness is a stout JBoskma and is most definitely famously Irish as MoP quite rightly hints at.

sigh!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah and if you want to celebrate an awesome english holiday you should try St. Patricks day!!!!! also i really love the english leprechauns and english 4 leaf clovers!!! lucky charms is also a very nice english cereal...
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    If you're able get some yuengling black and tan or just the lager. Its american but you may not be able to get it in your area. I think florida has it though. http://www.yuengling.com/

While drinking the "black and tan" i've been accused of drinking "motor oil". ;D Good stuff though. They've been around since 1829!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    British lager sucks. If you want lager get a Heineken (Dutch) or Warsteiner (German). The only english beer you want to try out is a Guiness. Black beer, if you're in the mood it can taste really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

guiness british,lol
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only english beer you want to try out is a Guiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that English Guiness is much better than the Guiness they brew in Ireland

But if you really want a lager, the English Guiness brewery also makes a lager called "Harp"
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    We aren't famous for good food either but that's shit too.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.bottleworks.com/ <- a peice of heaven if you're in seattle.

http://www.ratebeer.com/ <- should be worth while if you're looking for good beer's to get.

also for those in seattle that like their beer. Brouwers Cafe is the place to check out. http://www.brouwerscafe.com/bier.html

good food, massive beer list that's always changing. owned by the same guy who owns bottleworks. beleive me you can't go wrong with this place.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Good UK beers - the Wychwood Brewery make a few good ones, like Hobgoblin and Circlemaster. UK beer and Lagers are generally shite: Tennents in the national drink of scotland, ands weka piss. Its still what I end up drinking cos they have it everywhere, but thats becuase I know I can survive a night on it. The character boys at R* can put away 10 pints of that stuff.

But what do I drink? Czech beers mostly:

Baltika
    Kozel
    Kurcovie
    Budvar

american beers?
    Brooklyn Lager is ace.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    My local pint is Cain's - the brewery's a half hour's walk (or an hour's crawl) from my house smile.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Tennents ... ack. Foul, undrinkable evil piss dribbled from Satan's stinging glans. And the place is swamped with the stuff, i'll never understand that as long as i live ...

Not sure if they export it (they might, they're doing well now), but Abbot Ale is fantastic. Quite different when it's bottled, but still really good.

Old redoutable i'm sure you can get in the States : Newcastle Brown. Just make sure it's cold. Get two bottles of newky (each), sit in a dark corner of some dive somewhere, and put the world to rights.

Oh, and anything from either the York Brewery, Roosters or Salamander, which i *know they don't export but it tends to make the tourists sick wih envy. Bwa and ha and ha
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer Grolsch or Brand for Dutch beers.
    I thought Molson and Labatt are decent beers. I think that they're both Canadian.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    mmmmmmmmmm Shiner Boch, born a and brewed in Texas! though not considered a domestic at most places here in Dallas, go figure. (sorta off topic I guess since it's not a UK beer) Anything by Abita is good! (Louisiana Brewery) you can get a party pack for 10 bucks and its just a good sampler of all the beers they make. mmmmm Turbo Dog. Guilty Pleasure = 40 oz. of Bud Ice! higher alc content than most beers. I havent had much experience with UK beer. I do like Hefeweizenqoiewdnq0iwdnq0983 or however the hell you spell it. though some may not consider it a manly beer because it comes with a lemon usually. 7:32 am, is it to early to drink?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The only beer that's good for you is Guinness, in moderation. The Irish are a smart bunch.

A pint of Guinness a day during a meal can help prevent heart attacks. It's loaded with flavonoids, vitamin B, and anti-oxidants that help to reduce the blood clotting activity in arteries. This prevents erectile dysfunction as well. Guinness is high in iron content, and lowest in alcohol. A doctor in a college course I took told me this. I'm not a beer drinker, but I looked into his claims, so I know this much. It's the only beer I'll drink. Lager and the popular goat piss brands people suck down in America have none of these effects.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ElusiumGX - thankyou for sapping all the joy from a)drinking Guinness and b) everything i might do for the rest of the day.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no prob
    drinking a pint of Guinness does make you feel good, so go ahead
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    can you get Tetley's in the states?

I was reminded the other night - if it's well kept - that you'd do well to beat a really nice pint of Tetley's. As long as it's the proper handpulled type out of a cask belonging to someone who cares ... rather than the "smooth" chemical horseswill version favoured by 33 year old, bald, northern tossers in white short sleeved shirts.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    while we don't do particularly amazing lagers, our ales are really worth a look. spitfire, london pride, landlord, mordue, newcastle brown and old speckled hen to name a few. And caledonian 80 if I'm right in thinking its an ale.
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    It's all about the stouts, baby!
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Guiness, seriously I wouldn't go to Ireland and claim it to be English or British if you don't want to go home in a body-bag tongue.gif

It's from the famous Jameson Brewary in Dublin, very nice brewary to go to cause you can get free halves.. which is handy if you take several friends cause each one of us went up for free halves each round. We were all nicely toasted afterwards.

It's also not a drink you can have on occassion, as it will make you feel very ill when you start drinking it; one of those things that really you need to build up a tolerance for before it's cool.

Personally I think the best English beer is definately Threakston's Old Peculiar. Though beware it's damn strong stuff, first time I had it.. knocked it back like my usual poison (guiness/murphys). By the end of the night I had a serious balance problem, or the barstool had one less leg.

I'd say more often if I'm drinking Larger it'll be Carlsberg, or Grolsh. Probably the best Largers imo.
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is really making me want a pint..
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    if you didn't want one before reading this thread, then you don't drink enough mate. wink.gif
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    MMMmmm, oh yes, Shiner Bock. I am not at all a drinker, but my close friend introduced me to Shiner and I realized how different it is from what some college friends used to call ACB - American Chemical Beer. I think my friend and I drank Sam Adams a while back, because we couldn't get Shiner, and it was close. But it is all about taste.

Oh, and here's a purportedly English beer joke:

Q: Why is American beer like sex in a canoe?

A: Because it's fucking close to water.

'Nuff said.

/jzero
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    If the bartender doesn't have to 'start' your beer and then serve it to you a few minutes later, it isn't worth drinking to me.

Guiness is great a room temp, but you can't get the real deal in the states. From what I understand the real stuff is thicker and stronger, I'd love to try it.
  • Players Be Trippin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Players Be Trippin polycounter lvl 18
    if you like heavy beer, get guiness
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    Guinness is horrible at room temp, get the extra cold stuff down ye!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    jzero: hahaha, good one smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A round (of applause) to Steve. He's the first one to spell GuinNess correcly.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Peroni and Stella are widely available here in the states, try those also... anything other than american beer is a great start when it comes to sampling beer.

Isn't there a 6percent law with beer here in the states? I'm sure I heard something about that, maybe that was invented to help ensure all the drunk drivers here were not TOO drunk and could still make it home without hurting themselves and other.

Certainly, considering how many americans go to the pub or a party, drink all night and then drive home, weak beer might just be the best thing for them.

In Britian and Europe where there are a fantastic selection of delicious and potent beers, people can walk home afterwards as the geography is far more forgiving.

r.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Course, I need to doff my cap for the nation who provides me with Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve (just got a bottle today), Makers Mark....

I'm off for a bourban and ginger.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    A round (of applause) to Steve. He's the first one to spell GuinNess correcly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're mistaken. But it's all good. This thread is giving me the urge for a pint as well.

[ QUOTE ]
    weak beer might just be the best thing for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Never thought of it that way. But, it doesn't stop them from going through 6, 12, and 24 packs at a time. Plenty of profit for Budweiser.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Oh god ror, don't suggest Stella. It's fucking yeast-- thats all it tastes off. Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters-- all nice.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    well, as i like to say:

drink what u think taste good and enjoy drinking it smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drink stella, then deal out some David Soul style justice!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, serves me right for posting before going to bed.

Daz: the whole zbrush thing sparked this but I didn't want to derail a 2D-3D discussion thread further than it already was. I've just always heard people say how bad American beer is so I wanted some suggestions on where I can get some good beer.
  • Rick Stirling
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to say, I am presently working my way through a 6-pack of Bridgeport India Pale Ale brewed by Bridgeport Brewing Company, Portland, Oregon, USA. This is hands down my favorite beer right now, and one of the best beers I have ever drank anywhwere around the world. Yes, the US Macrobrews are piss-water, but our local micros (particulary in the pacific NW) are on par and/or better than any beer, anywhere around the world tongue.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    IPA in cans? Pchaw
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pahahahaa. heineken?
    While far better than the us budweiser, it's still not really my favourite lager. As ror said, Stella's allright, but as far as lagers go most european ones are fairly similar. Just too bad their brewery stinks up my apartment, heh.
    roo: i've had some newcastle brown ale, and it's not bad. if you like it, i suggest you try dark leffe or grimbergen. Not really the same thing, but it has a bit more flavour than newcastle. in fact, try any of the trappists, they're all pretty great, allthough probably harder to find outside of belgium. Here's a good link for those: http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/style/abbey.html
    also, if you can find it at a good price, try some duvel, it's good stuff.
    ooh, and i almost forgot to mention white beer, which is fantastic on a summer day. It's a very pale beer (hoegaarden is my favourite), and they usually serve it in a cooled glass.

And to the guy who said "if you didn't want one before reading this thread, then you don't drink enough mate.
    " with the b-boy avatar: what are you, 13? tongue.gif
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    UK based drunkards may be interested to know that Somerfields are doing two cases of Carling/Fosters/Tennents/Stella for 16 quid this week..
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to LOVE Tuborg. I've never seen it to buy in mainland UK though, but everytime I go back to the province, I'll have some.

Tennents are sponsoring the T on the Fringe festival (they always have, T in the park, T on the fringe etc, the T stands for Tennents). Anyway, doubltess to say I'll be packing away several pints of rancid Tennents during the Pixies. I'll have a wee shot or two of Bulleit afore I go.
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    A pint of warm Tennents with a dead wasp in it is the taste of Summer.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Pea: Don't forget to push Palm beer too, strong wee beer that one, of course they don't have that here, thats the problem with belgians though isn't it, you dont push your beers as hard as the dutch do.

r.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I like Spaten white, but I prefer some of the microbrew beers here in town (from Silver Peak Brewery). They have one called the XXX Golden Blonde - simply amazing.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I likme Abbot Ale. There's a few "pubs" locally that carry abbot ale, which isn't bad, but the scary thing is once after a Highland Games we went to a place in the East Bay, and they had Abbot in cans, and everyone at the table, looked at the can, then at me, and then at the can, thenback at me, and told me to look at the can. The abbot onthe can looked just like me. Scary.

But I also really like Guinness. Just can't have any alcohol while on these (hopefully temporary) meds. Pilsners and Lagers to me taste like horse piss.

(but then I like the hard stuff better)

This illustrates my views
    Now this made me laugh
    adverts_lager_boy_poster.jpg

Scott
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pilsners and Lagers to me taste like horse piss.

Yeah but it's the only kid of beer you can mix with cola and get a decent result. Okay, wheat beer might work, too but it's not as good a solution.