Home General Discussion

if british beer is so good, where can I get it?

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    But what do I drink? Czech beers mostly:

Baltika
    Kozel
    Kurcovie
    Budvar

[/ QUOTE ]

Baltika is RUSSIAN beer.

Anyways i mostly drink Saku Originaal, the best estonian beer imho. It should be fairly easy to get in Europe and its sold in states also (in small quantities and it propably costs like $5 per 0.5l bottle).
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pea: Don't forget to push Palm beer too...
    ...you dont push your beers as hard as the dutch do.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Right you are, Palm is pretty good. I always like the special holiday versions.
    Did you hear about Westvleteren winning some (i believe) american beer contest? that's just hilarious, since Westvleteren don't even ship their beer, and they don't advertise it. If you want it, you have to go get it at the brewery laugh.gif
    That's the story with most of our better beers, though. It's all very local, and even in holland you're paying almost double for it.
    kdr: this is... good?
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I try not to be as snobbish about beer as I am about whisky.

After the first one they all taste great. I don't drink beer because It tastes good, I drink for a thirst quencher after mowing the lawn or during a round of golf. Beer is also good for washing down supper. The less taste for me the better. That is why I prefer American piss light beer and keep it coming wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Scott! It's you!

abbotale.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Fosters?....no australian drinks Fosters, thats the beer we sell to the rest of the world.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    pea: cool, i'll check a few of those out although I'm pretty fond of my broon ale smile.gif. my favourite blonde beer so far has to be Erdinger. Mop, if you haven't been down to the Trades for a pint of it yet, get goin tongue.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yea, bitter/real ales are pretty good in england, but most lagers taste like gnat piss.

the tap and spile pubs do nice real ales. i tried a pint of 'dreadnaught' once and it was somewhere around 10 percent proof. i was pissed after a few pints.
    Its has the look of treacle in a glass

old speckled hen was nice too
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    IPA in cans? Pchaw

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say cans? Hell no! Bottles of course! (You can get six-packs of bottles, btw tongue.gif ) Of course it is better on tap, but I don't have a keg-o-rator at home (good thing too!)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. I'll take a PBR or a Hamm's over that skunky beer anytime. I'd actually rather not drink a beer than drink a Heineken.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone should have a Belgian Ale at some point and it should be from here: www.ommegang.com

Belgian Ales are "bottle fermented" which means the yeast is still in the bottle and it will age on a shelf instead of getting old and stale.

As far as UK brew, there is nothing like a Newky brown (Newcastle Brown Ale) to cut away the unhappy. =]
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Regarding AZ's claims of Pacific northwest US beers: If you like malty (high alcohol) beers with lots of tangy hoppy bitterness, then the Pacific northwest is king. Here are a few of my favorites:

Dick's ESB - Maltier than a typical English, a bit roasty. You can't go wrong with anything made by Dick's. My favorite brewery.

Diamond Knot IPA - Possibly my favorite IPA. Good malt, and hops, hops hops! Lot's of subtle hop flavors if you can get by the wrecking ball of biterness.

Rogue Brutal Bitter - Lots of alcohol and bitterness. Darker malts than a standard IPA. Kind of a bastard stepchild of an IPA and an ESB. Beautiful and destructive.

Bottlewerks IPA - One of the best IPAs in existance. Brewed by Dick's for the Bottlewerks boys.

LaConner IPA - Neck in neck with Diamond Knot and Dick's/Bottwerks for my personal favorite. Fantastic malts, nice hops, good balance if you like things going to the bitter side.

Mac N Jack's African Amber - Not bottled, on tap only. Super malty, lots of flavoring hops, unfiltered beauty. Dark cloudy amber. Gives me a terrible hangover if I have more than two.

Rat City IPA - Like a lighter version of Mac N Jack's, but with more bittering hops. One of my new favorites.

With regards to the original topic: London Pride is probably one of my favorite English brews. Don't even bother with English lagers. They're all about the ales and bitters.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah see, I LOVE hoppy beers. I think Mac N Jack's is the only one on your list I have found down here in Portland, though. I'll have to keep a look out for the others you listed down here as well as the next time I am in the Seattle area. We appear to have similiar tasts in beer, Ryno. If you haven't tried a Bridgeport yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. Still my favorite IPA that I have found.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Bridgeport is an old standby of mine, but it's actually a little subdued for my tastes if I'm really in the mood for some teeth-kicking hoppiness. Nice warm weather beer, though. Also, have you tried McMennamin's Hammerhead? It's quite nice, and a bit similar to Mac N Jack's.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    proper pump pulled tetleys is very nice , but i like to go cheap and cheerfull and get canned Colt 45.

Bishops Finger anyone?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bridgeport is an old standby of mine, but it's actually a little subdued for my tastes if I'm really in the mood for some teeth-kicking hoppiness. Nice warm weather beer, though. Also, have you tried McMennamin's Hammerhead? It's quite nice, and a bit similar to Mac N Jack's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, Hammerhead is probably my favorite, actually. It's what I always get when I am at McMennamins, it's just that you can only get it there, though. I have bought it from them in the bottle "to-go" a few times, however. Not nearly as good as on tap but still good.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    London Pride is probably one of my favorite English brews'

But what you don't mention is that southerners are all soft and drink shandy. smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    but i like to go cheap and cheerfull and get canned Colt 45.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Bruthah! wink.gif

I prefer the bull myself but the Colt will do in a pinch smile.gif
    Good hot summer day drink is a Schlitz Twist

Schlitz Malt Liquor in a tall can.
    Get a tall glass and fill it full of ice.
    Pour The Bull into the glass of ice.
    Squeeze and add lots of limes.
    Drink too many.
    Have fun and wake with good headache wink.gif
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    London Pride is probably one of my favorite English brews'

But what you don't mention is that southerners are all soft and drink shandy. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thems be fighting words. tongue.gif
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, you guys sure know your beer! shocked.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ever had a Turbo shandy?

Buy a pint and a bottle of Smirnoff Ice. Drink half the pint. Top up with the Smirnoff Ice. Drink the new pint. Finish off the dregs of the SI bottle.

Every had a hand shandy off some dodgy bloke in the toilets? I reckon that several turbo shandies would lead to that.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about a snakebite? Guiness over hard cider (like a black and tan but with hard cider instead of lager) - good stuff.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    snakebite over here is cider and lager ... student drink of choice for many years. It could even be illegal to sell it in pubs now, not sure ...
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    We weren't supposed to sell snakebite when I worked in a club many moons ago, but we sold it anyway and charged 'em for 2 halves (more expensive than a whole pint). No idea whether it was illegal or not, we were just told not to do it by the manager (the head barman was the one who said to sell it anyway).

Speaking of the apple nectar, I'm a cider man myself, and my two favorites are English - Strongbow and Woodpecker.

To be fair though American ciders aren't bad at all, with Woodchuck being a favorite (available in various styles, dry, sweet, pear etc), with hardcore being a close second.

That's hard cider for the Americans in the audience, not cloudy apple juice.

Oh, and 'ello, I'm back posting for a bit (hopefully)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I think I did hear that a proper snakebite was actually lager and hard cider at one point. I had just forgotten. Still, Guiness over hard cider is quite good as well.

Harl: Strongbow is my absolute favorite in hard cider. Nothing else I have ever had really compares.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and 'ello, I'm back posting for a bit (hopefully)

[/ QUOTE ]

Captain Walker! You've returned!

We kept it straight! We ain't been slack!
    Welcome back! laugh.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh noes! Now we get into a Cide pissing competition!

Strongbow, Woodpecker - all those ciders available at 3 quid for 2 litres - all rancid filth.

I do enjoy a cider from time to time, but I guess they follow the same rules as most of the beers on this board: Anything made by big companies and sold in builk is not very good, and anything made in small quantities in microbreweries is very good.

Westons is very good, but I can't remember some of the nice ones we drink.

Magners is big over here at the minute, and its a case of superb marketing, shit product.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, my flatmate seems to drink nothing but Magners... I don't really like it. I'm more of a cider guy myself too, Harl, and I'll agree that Strongbow and Woodpecker are good... if you've never had Blackthorn, steer clear, it's awful!

I tried something recently that was about twice the strength of Strongbow, but smoother and MUCH tastier though. Can't remember what it was called, but I'll see if I can find out...

As for beers, my brother introduced my dad to Asahi super dry, Japanese beer, apparently very good from what I hear. Old Speckled Hen is a favourite of my dad's, too. He usually has pretty good taste.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asahi super dry, Japanese beer

It says Japanese all over the label except on the back. Its crisp and great. It's a czech beer though, perhaps thats's why it's so good.

Nasty hangovers though. In fact, Staropramen on draught gives possibly the worst hangovers of any draught beer.

I just remembered a great beer - Old Hooky from Hook Norton brewery.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    how about half special brew half K cider and dash of blue bols( green monster)
    you will be very drunk after 2
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Old Hooky, yum.

A nicely mental one i had recently : Jacobite Ale from somewhere in Scotchland. It's spiced, almost like mulled beer. Evil on the first smell and taste, gets better and better as you get to the end of the mug, and leaves you wanting more.

edit : http://www.traquair.co.uk/brewery.html
    that's it
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    how about half special brew half K cider and dash of blue bols( green monster)
    you will be very drunk after 2

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.trampjuice.tk/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Everyone should have a Belgian Ale at some point and it should be from here: www.ommegang.com

Belgian Ales are "bottle fermented" which means the yeast is still in the bottle and it will age on a shelf instead of getting old and stale.

As far as UK brew, there is nothing like a Newky brown (Newcastle Brown Ale) to cut away the unhappy. =]

[/ QUOTE ]

holy cow, I remember gettin this beer and being creeped out by the stuff floating in it. It tasted slightly like the alcohol I tried to brew in my closet as a teenager. It wasn't bad (the beer, not the homemade stuff, that was lethal) but not knowing what the yeast was made it difficult to drink.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Asahi super dry, Japanese beer

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff, I get that when I go for sushi.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah - I never realized that Asahi was actually Czech. I also like Kirin. I suppose now you're going to tell me that it's brewed by Coors tongue.gif
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    This is my favorite thread ever. I have to vote for asahi as well. Kirin also pretty tasty. Suprised no one's mentioned the Mexican beers (or maybe I missed something). I'm a big fan of Modelo Especial. Crisp like asahi, but not quite as dry.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I like Corona but only with a lime in it.
    Kirin is probably one of my favorite beers ever
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, in the Mexican beers category: Dos Equis Amber followed by Pacifico for me. Both with a lime, of course.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Negra Modelo is the only Mexican beer that I even find remotely drinkable.

But I am terribly biased against light lagers, which eliminates most Mexican, Asian, and central European beers from my preferred list.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Justin: Belgian ales are supposed to be drank out of a goblet and you are supposed to leave about 1-2 fingers worth of fluid in the bottom of the bottle (which includes the yeast...). I have a bias towards Ommegang because I have a friend who works there doing ad bits for them.

The best of their beers are the Witte and the Hennepin. Very, very flavor filled and robust. Not to mention, one bottle will put a good dent in yah.

oh, and Kirin brewed by Coors....thanks for making my skin crawl, AZ. =]
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    every beer should be drunk/dranken/drinked out of a goblet. Preferably that goblet should be at least 500 years old, cost over £100 ($200) in a retail transaction, and should look christingly good with the foamy head just threatening to overflow. Anything else is just wrong.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    simply the best beers are the Czech beers crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif, and that's it !

1 ) The real one "BUDWEISER" is only one ....and it's the Czech one. cool.gif
    Lezak_0.5l_obrazek_cz_.gif

Also the dark one -
    B1_tmave_obrazek_cz_.gif

http://www.budvar.cz/budvar/budvar-web/product/produkt_eng.html

2 ) Yeah - Pilsner ....
    home_flags_02.jpg

http://www.pilsner-urquell.com/

3 ) Kozel

pe52.gif

http://www.beer-kozel.cz/index.php?page=homepage&lang=en
    ...and others !
  • Michael Knubben