Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

tiger warior

Replies

• GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    joint the next one man! and thanks wink.gif muchly appreciated!

Jody
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Here where i am so far gonna try and get some more colours in and get rid of all the purple wink.gif

Jody

untitled11zs.jpg
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    colour update.. not sure?

Jody

untitled15pp.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Well besides the pink being a bit effeminate, I think you should unify your values.
    paintover.jpg

Make the focus area the brightest, and dull everything else back both in value and hue. You want a texture to read well, much the same as you want a 2d painting to read well. Right now there is just too much to look at, it's all crying for my eyes attention at once. Use contrast to give the eye a clear first resting area, and then let it meander over the rest as those details are taken in.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Good point poop.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Poop! Awsome idea man i didnt even thinkk of that!!! im going to start working on bringing more focus to it first thing tommorow!!! cool... laugh.gif

Shotgun: im sorry you feel that way! i am not trying to be rogant hnestly i didnt even realise i did anything... I am trying to take on the crits tht are given and i have used many ideas people have given. I m constrained by time and i am trying to find my own style as i am a complete newbie! i dont work in the industry.. trying to find my feet.. please understnd.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Keep your thread for what it is.
    I apologize for exposing it.
    Learn or not learn, good luck.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    ... ii dont understnd what you problem is, yoyu are getting upset over what exactly... that i post too ofeten and dont create my model my interpreting exactly what everyone tells me to do! i think your a bit mistaken and your anger is not helping the situation. plz dont give me grief on an internet forum.. especialy over something so trivial. i wont post anymore until iv done. Cheers

Jody
  • Lord Killmore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Killmore polycounter lvl 18
    hm looks very good so far man i love the skin ^^ and the model of course xD

maybe youll do a battle damaged skin ?? with blood ´n dirt on the armor and weapon *YAY for gore xD*

well anyway maybe you could add something like leather straps that hold the armor together . like on the side of the boots or the chest plate or something like this.
    not really needed but i think it may be a nice lil´detail n the skin and well it just seems right to me i mean the armor wont hold together itself right oO
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cheers killmore i was gonna add some buckles and straps soon ill try nd work on it this weekend. Glad you like man i appreciate it laugh.gif

Jody
  • Mojo2k
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    Gok don't not post because someone is in a cranky mood, the way i see it when you ask for crits you are not obligated to make every change that is suggested, or any, a lot of times I just take the crits and aply them towards my next piece, especialy if what i'm currently working on suits me enough to move on to the next step in creation.

crits
    i still think that it could use much more shadowing and such in the texture, unless the engine you want to put it in will do that nicely. also the face seems a bit flat to me, i think this may be because of no painted lighting in the face to pop out forms.
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    My eyes, it BURN BURN

I would say before going further, I would go back, and try and get a good color scheme, Something appealing to the eyes.

Try and get an interesting design in the textures aswell,
    Its some sort of tiger, Work on colors and design that would fit that animal more.

b1ll
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    You two are right i really need to push this more.. B1ll ill deffinatly try to work in more subtle and interesting colour and push the design a bit re, cheers mate!

Jody
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Ok tried to work in as many of the crits as i can, but monday is looming so i need to finnish this tommorow. cheers guys!

untitled22yk.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Next go round, when you are doing the concept, try to focus on a more cohesive design. It looks like you made it up as you went a long. There is no repetition of shapes, no clear rules as to how the outfit was put together, just a bunch of random details thrown together. Even the chainmail seams to be different from the arms to the legs. Try checking out some costume designs and see if you can try to break down the method for designing a cohesive outfit. Repetition can do wonders, as can a set of design principles you are aiming for.

That said, the texture is looking nice, though I would take off the darkening of the wood on the shield.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cheers poop great advice thier, ill take a mental note for next time ! and i need to finnish this today so expect the finnished product and the SDK for anyone interested. Ill fix up that shield too wink.gif

Jody
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    ok chaps think im gonna have to finnish this up (deadline up).. iv dirtyed it up and updated a lot of the texture plus given hima little base for contrast... any last minute sugestions..?

Jody

untitled11ba.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is a piece of work you should be proud of.
    You've come a long way in a fairly short time, especially
    in terms of texturing.

I really like the way this turned out. The overall feel of
    it is very nice and cohesive, and the texturing in some
    places is really great. I love the armour strips covering
    his upper legs and waist.

The only thing I don't really like about it is the weapon,
    it seems almost like an afterthought, there's not much
    design in it, and it's nowhere near as well-modelled as
    the rest of the guy.

The shoulderpad is suffering a bit from outliney-ness,
    there's a black line going round there which makes that part
    look less realistic than other parts of the texture.

It also doesn't make much sense that you have shading on the
    shield implying that it's curved (the heavy shadow on the
    front), when the geometry is perfectly flat. That'd probably
    look pretty weird in motion.

I think the face could do with a little colour alteration
    and saturation boosting, it doesn't look quite powerful
    enough to be a real tiger yet.

Overall very solid work though, I'd love to see this guy
    rigged and posed (and maybe with a new weapon).

Good stuff!

MoP
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff MoP, I agree 100% you hit all the faults (apar from the fact that i coulda worked in colour, altho thats something ill have to work on!) on the head. Ill try and come back to this after the comp and a break, to see if i can work it more. But overall im pleased with it. The weapon sucks your right wink.gif

Cheers, Jody
  • Lord Killmore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Killmore polycounter lvl 18
    yeah thats what i wanted to see ^^
    looks a lot better this way ^^
    and i dont think the weapon suxks it just needs...an unique touch you know? something that makes it look special

too bad i suck at ideas xDD
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I hope I'm not too late, but this is looking really nice. I think if you've got a little time left you might consider a lighting pass on the texture. I did a quick paintover to illustrate the finer points; hope this helps out in some way.
    http://67.43.11.132/~bradford/tigerpaintover.jpg
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aye first off the model is sweet, cool work getting proportions and sense of weight convincing. As has been mentioned the texture could go further but obviously its difficult with a tight deadline. Is his helmet still part of the model? havent seen it for a while.

Not too keen on the toblerone armour which does kinda look like chocolate, and the weapon looks (to me) a bit like 2 chunks of concrete connected with rebar. It could maybe use some decoration/highlights to affirm its metalness.

Overall though it does look cool which is the main thing, so good luck with the contest!
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    sorry guys, really good tips thier and ill keep them in mind for the next one! but iv submited so its to late to look back wink.gif

Ok got a few requests here.. firstly anyone want to get this into U2k for me... i remember someone offered.. also iv got the sdk ready if anyone wants it!

Jody
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, here is the SDK for my Tiger Soldier Model. All files should be here that youll need. I you have any difficulties let me know!

Included*

.Max file
    .3DS file
    My textures *2 .BMP files
    The wire texture *2 .BMP files

Please give me credit if you show your texture on my model publicaly.. cheers

PS let me have a look at any textures you make smile.gif

Jody

http://www.real-lamerz.co.uk/std/files/TigerSDK.rar
  • CrackerJaCK465
    Offline / Send Message
    CrackerJaCK465 polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a new link? Im really interested in skinning this.
  • Michael Knubben
    You know, i'm starting to feel like our resident bitch. The guy who can't help but point out to people that they're getting on my tits.

Oh well.

THERE IS A PMBUTTON FOR EVERY POST, AND THE GUY EVEN HAS HIS EMAILADDRESS IN HIS SIGNATURE, CRACKERJACK465.
    THANK YOU.
    also, his website is in his signature, and guess what i found there, being all "OMG, I AM THE FIRST LINK ON THE PAGE, LOOKATME!"? that's right, the sdk!
    http://www.jodygallagher.co.uk/files/Tiger%20SDK.rar

edit: i am SO kind, i even checked to see if that link worked, and it didn't. Upon furter investigation, i found this: http://www.jodygallagher.co.uk/files/TigerSDK.rar

when i say investigation, i mean "not being lazy", and spending half a minute of my time to try and find something mySELF.
  • Ingurum
    Offline / Send Message
    Ingurum polycounter lvl 18
    oi dont be so harsh to him ^^

despite you checked the link it doesnt work for me either ^^ :P
  • Michael Knubben
    i checked again, and that last link does indeed seem to work.
  • Laheen
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    It works for me aswell.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    ooops sorry havnt been here in a while... but if you go to my new site www.jodygallagher.co.uk its in the downloads section.

sorry guys

Jody

PS actualy that link does work you just have to right click and "save as"
  • TryForce
    Offline / Send Message
    TryForce polycounter lvl 18
    ..... Damn buddy...
    i just lost my inspiration of modeling and skinning... and
    by this work you gave me right now more fantasy and great inspiration laugh.gif.

Thank you so much!

Awesome model!
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    smile.gif heh wow thank you so much, hope some people will show some of thier attempts at skinning this laugh.gif would be great to see!

Jody