Home General Discussion

Explosions in London !!!

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a terrorist attack ?? Could it be pissed of frenchies after losing the olympic bid ?? The timing is very suspecious to me . Hope all the UK polycounters and there families are ok !
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    theres like 7 explosions or something.

worrying stuff, nothing explained in the news yet except for where the blast happened. The story about the bus being ripped apart like a can of sardines is particularly disturbing.

It was only a matter of time before this happened, I guess. I just hope that modern technology becomes cheaper and we can have automated bomb materials scans as people enter stations, looks like that could be the only useful deterent.

First instincts: ? Police have been arresting Islamic fundamentalists for a few years in London and every time they find bomb making materials or chemical weapons. Recently it was released to the press that the police had arrested and convicted dozens of terrorists.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Currently glued to the radio. Current official explaination is a power-surge in the underground network, but that doesn't explain the bus, and the National Grid has issued a statement of there being no anomolies in the netowrk.

All eyes are focused at the UK at the moment, with the G8 summit and winning the Olympic bid. A perfect time for an extremist group to make a 'statement'?

I'm praying for friends in London saftey, and all those who have been caught up in this terrible event.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw this on the news, sounds really fucking scary, I hope there wasn't anyone killed since the report didn't say.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Of course there were people killed. Bombs on the underground and buses? And there have been dozens of reports of deaths, from reputable sources.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    10 minutes until Blair speaks

Rang my family in London, thank goodness they are allright.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Just spoken to my mother who is down there at the minute on a trip. She was meant to be getting a train home from King's Cross today but obviously the station has been shut. Sounds like there is alot of panic going on down there from what I could hear in the background of the phonecall and what she was telling me.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Terrible, just terrible. I hope the underground system contained the blasts a little. No-one has the right to commit such acts. No-one.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Blair confirms this was a terrorist act.

Dark times frown.gif
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now there appears to be evidence that this is the first incident of suicide bombers in the UK. 2 fatalities in two of the blasts, so far.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    A 200 word statement has apprently just been posted on an islamic exstremist website with Al-Qieda claiming responsibility for the attacks.....dunno how true that is.

I hope the people who belive the war on terror is a waste of time and money especially in the UK will now believe otherwise...the people taht carry out these attacks are sub human...they are simply barbarians.

John
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cue the governments plan to force through ID cards - even though the Madrid bombers all cariied valid ones.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still beleive a 'war' on terror is wrong. A campaign against terror I agree with. Catch those who hold extremist views as they plan atrocities, education that builds a foundation of tollerance. Using bombs and guns begets more bombs and guns, until one or other side is utterly defeated and much innocent blood shed in between.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    News is saying that it only killed 2 people which while that is bad is better then 100's dead like it sounded would be . Damn sleep time i'll be glued to BBC tommorow
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Catch those who hold extremist views as they plan atrocities, education that builds a foundation of tollerance.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife is currently studying to be a primary school teacher and has chosen 'Institutional Racism and Inclusion' as her final assignment. Hopefully people like her will change things.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20 dead allready
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    My thoughts go out to everyone involved, their families and my gratitude to the enormous efforts of those working to minimize any fatalities and injuries.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I always seem to wakeup to these sorts of things... It would be inappropriate to argue politics on this so I'll just wish the brits the best in dealing with this however they see fit.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    News is saying that it only killed 2 people which while that is bad is better then 100's dead like it sounded would be . Damn sleep time i'll be glued to BBC tommorow

[/ QUOTE ]

But thats because at this stage there hasn't been time to start counting the dead. All those people with minor injuries that you see on TV are there beacuse they have minor njuries and were able to walk away. The others won't be able to do that.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a(23).jpg

I find this image very symbolic
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Another disgusting act by subhuman barbarians.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sad and angry.

Thoughts for all those affected.

frown.gifmad.gif
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sky news reports 45 dead and 1000 injured
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe now we can shift our attention back to eliminating Al-Qieda.

This is terrible news. I'm interested to see how the UK reacts. Maybe set an example for the US.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is that although the group claiming responsibility say they are affiliated with Al-Qieda, it is more a following of an (twisted) ideal. Unlike the experience the UK has with IRA terrorism, with a single organisation and command structure, the current terrorist situation is much more fragmented, with many small groups all with similar causes. Much more difficult to track, much more difficult to combat, and much more difficult to find.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Absolutely horrible news. I hope that no one here was adversely affected by this tragedy.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    A shame to hear, the war on terror shouldnt have been a war on terror but a war on Al Qaeda instead, going by other war on nouns drugs,poverty etc. the war on terror is too ill defined of a goal and how does one gauge victory ?

a war on al qaeda has a definate goal and target
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Horrible stuff frown.gif Both the CNN and BBC websites are reporting 40 dead, I suspect that will climb as the day grinds on. Can we ever get to a point that is level and people don't have to worry about this crap? If nothing else good comes from this maybe the world will start to see this issue as a global issue instead of a US vs The Middle East, thing. If that is the only good that comes out of this these are dark times...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    damn, this is horrible, my thoughts go out to all of England.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    heard about this on the radio on the way to work this morning. very scary. and I just found out my cousin is over in london and was close by when it happened, fortunately she's ok. hopefully all the london polycounters and their families are ok as well.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Kona!!! Im glad your family is fine, when I got up this morning and saw this on the TV news, your one of the first guys I thought of.. This brings back memories of Sept 11th here in NYC.. as most of the senior Polycounters know, I was in the middle of all that.. I know what that devestation looks , feels, smells and tastes like..

Thoughts, prayers and wishes of good luck go out to all those (Polycounters or not) and their families..

UPDATE: Just as I was typing this message, I got a call from my sister to see if I knew what was going on.. She reminded me that my cousin is temporarily living in London (going to school) but at this time I don't know if there is any word from her.. I had forgotten all about this as she was one of the few relatives who couldn't make it to the wedding because of her being there..

So it seems, once again, I am somehow connected to this all..

Just found out my wife (who is also an NYPD cop) just got mobilized for extra security in NYC.. I guess they are sending waves of cops into the street for sweeps of transit systems and the like..

Ugh...

here we go again...
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    34 confirmed fatalities, with no count from the bus.

My thoughts go out to everyone in London, not just the polycounters. All the fear in London can't be healthy, not just england but across the whole of England. I just hope we don't all get high strung on it where a fire cracker is a bomb and people jump to the floor, etc.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully all you UK cats and your families are OK.

Man, can't we be done with this shit already?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap... this is not good.

I have relatives living in London, hopefully they're ok, they shut down the mobile phone networks for a while though, so it's hard to know.

Also just found out that one of the buses that was hit was the number 30, which is apparently the one Dirty_C from Conceptart.org usually gets to work, it just so happened that he had a guest over today, so he didn't take it... wow.

Good luck to everyone living down and around there right now.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There wont be the fear in London like there was in the US. London and the UK have been used to terrorist attacks for 30 years - this was differetn as there was no warning, but it wasn't unexpected.

The emergency services have been dealing with attacks for years, and were well prepared for a situation such as today. In my opinion it was a very light attack, and I expect more in future.

Peopel will still be afraid, and it was terrible, but not unexpected or unprepared for.

For targetting the transport system we got off very lightly (at this stage), unlike the train bombings in Madrid last year.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This may not have happened if we had finished the goal we set out for rather than pushing into Iraq to make daddy happy mad.gif

Anyway, I hope the best for those in London. I work will a guy who has family there and he hasn't been able to check yet to make sure everyone is safe.

Too bad it's so easy to be a terrorist pussy.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    in full agreement with rick

check this part of the supposed statement from the Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm:

"Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters".

We beg to differ, cunt.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think there was a misperception that there was fear in the US. I think surprise/shock was the initial impression, then anger.
    That's not to say there weren't SOME people who were scared, but I sure as hell wasn't one of them, nor were those around me.
    I would agree that the UK is a little more use to these acts though.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    We beg to differ, cunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. These people are utterly stupid. Here's another brilliant claim by that Al-Queda group:

"We still warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the crusader governments that they will receive the same punishment if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan," it said. "We gave the warning, so we should not be blamed."

These pricks were making terrorist attacks long before we even went into the middle east - decades, even. And they'd still do it if we left.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    i think if anything it will just piss off people more and motivate them to join the army to go there and bust some caps in some al-Queda asses
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    well, shame to see these barbaric muslams making "justice" in the name of their god, now also in england.

make no mistake, most muslams are very good people like you and i and want to live happily and quietly on a nice green village house with a hot french woman. but the dictatorships dont leave them a lot of choice. you wont believe how dark muslam countries are.. a person can't even open his own little grocery shop without having trouble from corrupted police.

the ironic thing about al queda (and other barbaric arabs) is that the islam, their legitimic excuse, is the most strict and unforgiving religeon when it comes to violence and taking life. it condamns it more than any other. i mean, what, they say its in name of the islam, and they actually do the opposite? what is this bullshit

i see it often here in israel, it is not so different. most palestines want to be left quietly, but the fanatic minority has the gun and the money (the "goverment" is corrupt.. the money they get dont really go to the people) and so they have no choice but comply. in the name of the islam, of course.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was in New York a few months ago and the level of fear was through the roof.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Through the roof? eh?

I don't know anyone in New York who's afraid of terrorists. They ARE afraid however, of murderers, rapists and theives. But New York has always suffered from that.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    These people believe in eye for an eye, right? They consider this a holy war, right? We should take them up on their offer and take a few "hostages", like occupy Mekka and threaten to completely annihilate the city if there's one more terrorist attack on a western nation with a "jihad" group claiming responsibility. If they're spouting rhetorics about war they should prepare to get their war. If they attack civilians they should prepare to see their civilians targeted. When they take our people hostage, grab a few people off the street and offer to trade hostages. IIRC the laws of war say an army can execute up to four civilians for every man lost to the militia.

Of course that's not a very realistic plan but sometimes I wish we could just give them a taste of their own medicine, random slaughter of innocents, destruction of their places of worship, telling them they have noone to blame but themselves for continuing this "war". Hit them where it hurts, don't "liberate" their supporters, that won't stop them and isn't comparable to what they are doing. Let's see how much will they have to continue when their targets don't just sit there and turn the other cheek. Let's see if they are willing to risk the total annihilation of all sacred places of Islam.

But then again that's not our style, that's why we're better than them. Perhaps we should just start a big "advertising" campaign, ridiculing them for their inability to function in society, painting them as cavemen, subhumans that envy our humanity, our ability to forgive, our ability to do what our god told us. Not to act eye for an eye, not to execute people in barbarian ways. They should be damn happy we're not as evil as they make us out to be, you can probably imagine how someone like Castro, Stalin or Hitler would handle the "muslim issue". That is the message we should send them, that they should consider themselves lucky that we're not evil because if we were, no god could protect them from our wrath. They better start praying their actions don't turn our countries into facist dictatorships because then they'll experience armageddon first hand.

Seriously, it's our goodwill that keeps them alive, not their strength. The earlier these nuisances realize that the earlier we all can start living in peace.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I feel really bad, I live only an hours drive from london and I only just found out about it in the 'model_design irc channel.
    How bad is that?
    Alas I don't watch TV or listen to the radio regularly untill the evening.
    I have friends living in london, luckily they're online rite now so that's a relief.

My heart and respect goes out to everyone affected by this barbaric act.

STRENGTH.

[ QUOTE ]
    "Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters".

We beg to differ, cunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen Brother.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i think you make a mistake in perception, kdr. there is no "Them" and there is no "we", we are all the same people who want the same things in life, dont you see?

al q. is a fanatic minority.

blow up mecca? what r u crazy?
    what does mr. mahmud from across the street, who likes to walk is herd in 5pm and fuck his favorite ship before he returns to dinner has anything to do with it?
    if he objects loudly - the goverment will torture him and kill his family. that is how things work in muslam countries, fyi.

honestly, if you truly feel killing a lot of """"them"""" will make you feel good, you're fucked up.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

We beg to differ, cunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were my thoughts as well. The UK has been dealing with terrorists for centuries now. I can't imagine that you all would be that easily shaken.

My condolences to the victims and their family and freinds.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    None of us are 'shaken' at all. We're simply showing our concern and regret about what has happened.