n_pope_ratzinger_050419.vsmall.jpg
doom3_5gr.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7523254/?GT1=6428

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Lol... kinda sucks that he became the new Pope (even though he is German wink.gif ), because he is VERY 'backwardish' in his believes... at least he is quite old already and will not 'last' that long.

(mumbles the atheist...)
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    LOL!

Different old man...same narrow minded foolish ideas frown.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i was hoping they'd go for someone more liberal this time...not a former hitler youth member who's as conservative as the last...

GODDAMMIT! THE CATHOLIC CHURCH CONDEMNS PEOPLE IN AFRICA TO DEATH FROM AIDS AND HIV BECAUSE THEY DON'T ALLOW THE USE OF CONDOMS!!!!
    [/rant]
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I think he looks little like the Emperor from SW laugh.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

GODDAMMIT! THE CATHOLIC CHURCH CONDEMNS PEOPLE IN AFRICA TO DEATH FROM AIDS AND HIV BECAUSE THEY DON'T ALLOW THE USE OF CONDOMS!!!!
    [/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

They do however whole heartedly support abstinence, which is the only surefire way to avoide aids through sexual contact.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Right. Don't you silly kids know sex is only for making babies and molesting/punishing altar boys, not enjoyment!?

Fuck the church. Really.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    German? I thought H.R. Geiger was Swiss?
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I was just told that 'zinger' meant something similar to 'hump' in Quebec. Joseph Ratzinger.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    was this guy in anyway connected to the nazis during WWII, or is everyone being complete shitheads about the whole situation because he's german? if he was american, how many people would be shouting "omg, capitalist redneck!"?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Here comes the new Pope, same as the old Pope...

This new Pope was also in the Hitler Youth for a while, although I believe he was conscripted, it wasn't actually his choice... He was apparently against Nazism.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1082734.cms
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Joseph Ratzinger was born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, the son of a police officer who was staunchly anti-Nazi. In 1937 Ratzinger's father retired and settled in the town of Traunstein. When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he joined the Hitler Youth, as all young men in Germany were required to do in the Third Reich. According to biographer John Allen, Ratzinger was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend any meetings. In 1943, at the age of 16, he and the rest of his class were drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for guarding a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Austrian-Hungarian border, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences. After being shipped back to Bavaria, he deserted in May 1945 and returned to Traunstein.

Shortly after returning to Traunstein, he was detained in an Allied POW camp, where he attended de-Nazification classes. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) entered a Catholic seminary."

That clears things up a bit. I'm just a little upset to see images like this already.
    http://img15.echo.cx/img15/7146/popenazi3er.jpg
    And I'm not even Catholic. Yay for the internet and 13 yr olds.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I see our next religion-hating thread is already in full force. Some guy is elected to some job that will have as little impact on most of this forum's readers as what they're serving for breakfast on the International Space Station, but we just can't let a chance to spew venom at organized religion slip by. Why, I remember when I was seven, the Catholic Church stole my bicycle and beat me up for my lunch money - mad h4t3!!!

God bless modernity and God bless the internet.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, some people are just mindless.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That clears things up a bit. I'm just a little upset to see images like this already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up. Seriously...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Here comes the new Pope, same as the old Pope...

This new Pope was also in the Hitler Youth for a while, although I believe he was conscripted, it wasn't actually his choice... He was apparently against Nazism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more significantly, he was 14. Does anyone here really want to be held accountable for the dumb shit he did when he was 14, whether they did so willingly or not? And is the dumb shit you did at age 14 really representative of who and what you are today? He wasn't even through puberty yet, but to hear the haters talk, you'd think he was cackling madly as he shoveled Jews into ovens. Nazi Pope, religion is the opiate of the masses, Catholic Church is pro-child molestation, etcetc, blahblahblah, regurgitated iconoclasm that has only been posted on the web 316 billions times before today but escapes any need for critical thought because it's what all the cool kids are typing...

I'm actually far more irritated by the inevitable flood of thoughtless kneejerk ranting that finds its way to my screen anytime religion is in the news than I am over anything people say about the 265th guy who gets to wear a funny hat. Of course, this is what I bring upon myself for abiding in the haven of liberalism that is teh intarweb laugh.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Great.. go ahead and start bashing other people's religions... Really mature, folks.

Scott (not Catholic)
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    What cracks me up is how so many Catholics (or even everyone else) wants to change everything to be more modern.

Really, I'm serious laugh.gif

If you don't want to be Catholic, don't be Catholic.

Don't expect the Catholic church to change just so it fits your lifestyle. If it's outdated it will eventually disappear, but don't expect them to compromise. (I wouldn't)

Now as for priests not being able to marry, well I have other ideas on that wink.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    vermillion
    that was a good read.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

these are worse
    post-2-1113943460.jpg
    pope.jpg
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Hahahhahahaahah

those pictures crack me up
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Of course, this is what I bring upon myself for abiding in the haven of liberalism that is teh intarweb laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    They do however whole heartedly support abstinence, which is the only surefire way to avoide aids through sexual contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks mommy. grin.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Lighten up. Seriously...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. Now go to your room!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like Langden saved the day again!
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Boo woo, welcome to the internet.
    What is devil to you is christ to them
    What is christ to them is devil to you.
    You can't win, become a mormon.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm catholic and today was a very happy day for myself and my whole family. Pope Benedict has a great academic mind and should prove a strong followup to one of the most significant popes ever.

dukester: yes, quite smile.gif the church is a constant and operates best as such. the rest of my life is more than adequate at providing ephemera of all kinds.

vermillion, i particularly appreciate your remarks in this thread.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not catholic or anything close, like I said. But even I took the time today to flip on my TV and watch the announcement. It's an important event that's continued for hundreds of years. I've learned my lesson and don't care to get into the politics. I guess it's no surprise to find references to star wars and nazis anywhere on the internet. lame. I do see the D3 likeness tho.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Apparently the Internet is institutionalized it's Liberalism, Look at the Wikipedia Post on the New Pope. Especially the pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pope_Benedict_XVI&direction=prev&oldid=12526972

Scott
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wahaha, that's rather excellent.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe - that *is* pretty funny tongue.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Man, this really sucks. I got out there and campaigned for the position and everything. I even kissed babies, FFS!!!! What a disappointment. frown.gif

Just curious, how many of you voted for me? I so thought I had it in the bag...
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    The Catholic chruch, like any organization of men is subject to the corruption inherant in human nature.

Unlike any organized body in power today they apologize for wrong-doings.

I personally think slow change is so much more responsible than the reactionary type we see in modern democratic nations. When policies change slowly the change is more thorough, and there tend to be less kinks.

How many organizations have lasted this long? That should say something about the responsibilty of an organization that depends completely on chairty of their members. Tithing is still an act of free will, and unlike other churches, no one really knows how much or when you give.

The Church doesn't institutionalize any of the horrible things that people scream about. It shouldn't reflect badly on an organization that condemns those things to begin with.

So talk about moldestation and contraception all you want, the arguements are completely irrelevent from a Catholic perspective. People shouldn't judge another society based on their own value systems when they don't hold your values to begin with. It's something I have stuggled with too, so you Pope-bashers/Catholic-bashers aren't the only one smile.gif

-R
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    eh? It's the fact that the church does condemn contraception that people are upset ... they're hardly protesting at the amount of condom usage in the world and wondering why the church doesn't speak up on the issue are they? The argument is most definitely relevant from a Catholic perspective, to lump in it with molestation and claim it to be a non-issue is bizzare.

on the choice of pope - i'm quite surprised. The church is running out of priests: they're getting old, and either dropping dead or just going plain loopy (this, i can attest to) and not being replaced by the younger ranks. A pope as equally conservative as the last is not the best thing to entice more young men into the priesthood.

Congregations are affected by this too, and the numbers are likewise dwindling. Most churchgoes don't really care about the choice of pope: a pope's a pope, it doesn't really affect them unless they mess about with doctrine (not likely). However, they are most definitely affected by their Parish priest - as priests get older, the parish is more likely to be lumbered with a senile old gimmer, or some scary old bastard who does indeed resemble Emperor Palpatine and makes the kids cry with his Force Stare. Again, not the best thing for convincing young Catholics to carry on the church-attending traditions that their parents tried to instill in them ... or, for that matter, keeping established congregations. My parents were actually forced to attend church in a different parish altogether because of our local Palpatine psycho - who was brought in to replace the young, popular priest who left the priesthood altogether.

yeah, a progressive pope would have helped, i'm sure.

edit - blasted UBB
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You know, on the other end. I dont care one way or the other. But to point out the hecklers as being "liberals". Well, in short.

Fuck you.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    this is why we can't have nice things...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I voted for you AZ, but i just forgot to drop it off in the pope finder mailbox. I ended up putting it in the Ho finder mail box. If you get some mail about becoming a pimp, that would be my fault. The pope box was another foot away, and well i just didnt feel like reaching.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    (Every Sperm is sacred, every sperm is great...)

I can only imagine how much my father is cursing now that the religious figure he hates the most has become pope. Our religion teacher (back in school) told us they jokingly referred to Ratzinger as the Grand Inquisitor. Can't say I'm happy with Ratzinger commanding the largest organization on Earth.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Heila ga bim bam, est gib kein pope auf panzer-nas-horn!! despinnen de duchein!!!!!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    haha I'm in Japan and the pope news doesn't exist here

instead we have programs about cookery.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Damn and I thought for sure it was going to be Father Sarducci
    http://www.spradley.org/alfa-romeo/guido_sarducci.jpeg
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I could really go for a world war right now, to weed out the weak ones and hit the reset button on the western world to remind us that we shouldn't take things like life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for granted instead of having a Street hummer and eating at mcdonalds.
    But instead our fate is to go extinct from starvation.

Hurray!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You know, on the other end. I dont care one way or the other. But to point out the hecklers as being "liberals". Well, in short.

Fuck you.

[/ QUOTE ]

oXY, you might find that you get along with people easier if you bought underwear that fit. The pair you've got on right now are apparently a bit too tight in the ass.

In other news, when people use laugh.gif faces after making seemingly inflammatory remarks, it means they're kidding.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    if you don't want a religion inspired flame war, don't start threads about religion...
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i sure as hell don't care. you monkeies would flame each other over a thred about chocolate sauce.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shut the fuck up about your fucking chocolate sauce, you motherfucker.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BS Vermillion. That is used an excuse. The same way Rush would go "What? Im joking around." When confronted. Its the argument of those who cannot take responsibilty for their words.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I mean it's not like people can be sarcastic on the internet.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly.. Sarcasm is a indirect way of not being held accountable for what you say. Lets go back to the idea behind it. To laugh at the joke took a certain mind set. That being that Liberals would be the type to start this hoo hah. It's funny if you are into that black and white Conservative VS Liberal ideal. If not - Its fucking shit. So ideally we should keep our mouth shut cause we can't take a "joke".

I don't believe in such restrictions. So I called on it. And I repeat to such people. Fuck you.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    shut up you liberal hippy
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Way to follow the man conservative nazi.

:rolleyes:

ARGUING ON THE INTERNET DOESN'T WORK, QUIT WHILE YOU ARE AHEAD