Home General Discussion

Fever Induced Rant

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Others have made many a post drunk, and this is about as close as I come. I have a fever of 102 and I came home early from work and have been trying to sleep it off.

I'm tired of being surrounded by "bohemian/pseudo-intellectuals" that think they can rag on what I like because they determine it's too "mainstream". I accuse them back of altering their own likes and dislikes based on the opposite of what's hip and hot at the moment. They won't *let* themselves enjoy something if it has enjoyed commercial success. The more success, the more they hate it. The more obscure and original, despite any merrit it may or may not contain, the more they convince themselves they like it. It's pretty obvious if you just look for it. They enjoy reveling in their "fringe" outlook, they are the "rebels" of society, and they are obviously cool because they like what only a select few like, that the public at large could *never* understand the way they can. Just like what you like, and make no appologies. I like Kelly Clarkson, I like Linkin Park, I like the two new Star Wars movies, just as much, if not more than the original three. I like Sushi, I like the brand Quicksilver (a division of Levi's), and I like big titted game characters with stilhetto heels, when they are done right. I like the big space boot sci fi space marine character, and I like the egyption theme a lot of games like to include for cool factor. I liked Battlefield Earth. I enjoyed Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Woa dont drag me into this! smile.gif

I sometimes laugh at friends.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    And I meant the TV show.

Get well soon!
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    media preferences are ultimately subjective, who knew!

don't let le poseurs get you down poopeh. they hurt themselves by not allowing themselves enjoy some things that they might otherwise embrace.

(the egyptian themed stuff does need to go, though smile.gif )
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Fear of the lowest common denominator has driven many a victim of low self-esteem into a beret and a snooty attitude (pseudo-intellectuals). Personally, I have nothing against the mainstream, for without it, there would be nothing to be different FROM!

I listen to Christina Aguilera, Green Day, Jet, Beyonce and Madonna on a regular basis. But only because I have a large collection of mashup MP3s. Madonna sounds great with the Sex Pistols, really!

Ben, take Tylenol and Motrin on a 3 hour rotation so your brain doesn't bake. We need that brain!

/jzero
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda like both Linkin Park and Evanesence.

I also enjoy the new Stereophonics single.

And giant robots and ninjas are cool.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh poop, i don't like Peter M.s games because i have actualy purchased and PLAYED THEM. unlike some people i don't think peter M shits gold because he gits in a million magazine interviews.. i don't care how popular he was. fable was a complete disapointment.. i can say that cause i played through most of the game and spent my hardly earned money on it (yes hardly) you havent even played the damn thing and you get all pissy when i talk bad about the thing.

my coment had nothign to do do with the mans fame and popularity, it had to do with dull games
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    once i stopped caring what other people thought of what i like, i started to enjoy the things a lot more. smile.gif

i also like Linkin Park(most kick ass concert i will probably ever see), love SW Ep 1 and 2 and FF:Spirits Within, and i like Metallica's Load and Reload albums(yes sidwell i have no taste!), and i regularly listen to JPop and Black Metal back to back.. buwahahhahah! im crazy like that!!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I liked Battlefield Earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was with you right up until that part smile.gif
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Im ill to with a fever, snap! People do tend to think they are "cool" if they revel in the complete opposite of fashion, but (and im not being a dick here) the same could be said for you in that some people genuinly have personal morals that say they cant like something that every one else thinks is cool NOT because every one esle thinks its cool but because they dont believe in the brand/products moral value! so i think you have to seperate the people who hate just because others like and the people who have strong moral oppinions! I for one think the last two star wars fils were great i loved spirits within and i love space marines and i too think people are just sheep sometimes who are trying to be cool and individual but are actualy just following the crowd altho sometimes it seems lie you are just following the crowd but in actual fact you just happen to have strong oppinions! I think its a bit silly to say that other people who follow the crowd are just trying to be cool when in fact this subject has been brought up many times before on many different forums and in loads of conversations down the pub so YOU are in fact becoming what you hate by slaging others for what they like or dislike! you see what i mean!? im not saying you arnt free to express your own opinion... but you seem to be! and just to be cool and a "rebel" i hate linkon park they really do SUCK ass man not that their music sucks its actualy very catchy but catchy doesnt always make great music. I just dont like them.. end of story!

Jody
  • Dravalen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    I normally don't mind the mainstream too much with the exception of Evanesence(since someone mentioned it).

I can't help but think they ripped off Lacuna Coil and put a whole ton of money behind it in marketing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It's mainstream to be not-mainstream.

Circular logic folks!

EDIT: I don't know where that post came from Mojo, about Peter M.. but I'm with yah on it. Fable was a dissappointment. The last couple of his games I've played have disappointed. I like the guy for what he's doing for our community - multiple studios, etc., but the quality of fun in his games lately has been piss-poor.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I enjoyed Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is definitly NOT mainstream laugh.gif

Concerning your rant, well I understand where you are coming from (e.g. the idea behind this rant), but most the time (at least where I live) the people who belive their views are smart and outside the normal, but in reality arn't really that uncommon or a result of their own thoughts, are far worse than those you are describing. (duh I hate those pseudo intellectuals : "I am not anti-american; I am anti Bush, because bla bla bla"... don't get me wrong though, I am against most what Bush stands for too, but at least I try to get a picture of both sides and stuff like that).
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    "It's mainstream to be not-mainstream."

exactly what i was saying cheers for summing it up im not the clearest of posters!

Jody
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    whoa.. didnt know this was such an issue benny boy.. its okay you like things other people dont or do. i dont care, but when someone else has an alternate view or opionion i dont think it is deserved to sterotype them into group and attack them. the main difference i see is instead of accepting people all like different things you are always trying prove or defend what you think is cool and that everyone should see your point of view. i might not like the same stuff as you and i might think the somethings suck.. but i also never really fight over or get mad about what i like. nor do i say everyone just likes it because everyone else likes it. wich seems to be the couter point of your idea that people only like stuff because noone else likes it. i dont know if you considered it in your line of reason but people like differernt things sometimes these things might not fit into your definition of what is even likable but its okay i am sure they have real reasons for liking it. you can hate what i like its cool, i wont give you a dissertation on why its cool and why you should think its cool. a good quote an art professor of mine said is "the world is filled with art.Each artist has their own style, each viewer their own taste.it is more important to find art you like than to judge what you dont."
    your a pretty smart guy and i am not trying to attack nor throw you in a catagory because i dont think you really fit into one. i just wish you could see things that way, noone really fits into a sterotype. i love all kinds of mainstream stuff like 50 cent and the simpsons and i never goto coffeeshops or hipster punk/emo bars.. but you throw me into that catagory and anyone else who has a point of view that may be different. but i never call you sheep or drone of modern civilation, i just take your comments in stride and maybe throw in some type of comback but its all in fun and not personal attacks on your philosophy of life. it seems me and tracy have taken simalar paths in life and hung around the same types of people so our tastes in music and movies are simialar, but i know he isnt just likeing things becasue they are not popular the guy owns the damn pokemon movie. i think you should lighten up a bit down a bottol of nyquill and wake up in better mood.. we are not teaming up on you. find people that like what you like and talk about how cool it is, dont find things people dont like and then insult them for it cause its not how you believe. there is no one right or wrong way when it comes to things like movies and art so you shouldnt feel insulted when someone thinks differently... and final fanstasy way sucked laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    Star Wars 1,2,3 is better then 4,5,6?
    Man, you do have a fever.

Big titties never go out of style.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    you can say in your oppinion 12 and 3 are better than 4 and 5 but how can you judge 6 as its not been released yet?

jody
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    All I know is that everything I like is cool, and everything I don't sucks.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    you can say in your oppinion 12 and 3 are better than 4 and 5 but how can you judge 6 as its not been released yet?

jody

[/ QUOTE ]

Well some people refer to the old ones as 4,5,6 because that is how the books and the chronological order is. But back on topic: I hate Starwars tongue.gif (but also the old ones)
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    You liked BATTLEFIELD EARTH????????!!!! DIE MAGGOT! BLUUUUUUUUUURGH!

winona_terl-thumb.jpg

I hereby taint this thread with my deathtouch.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Star Wars 1,2,3 is better then 4,5,6?
    Man, you do have a fever.

[/ QUOTE ]
    -seriously.

[ QUOTE ]

Big titties never go out of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Amen. Unless you're a fashion model. What the hell's up with that? Why is it that the majority of men prefer Playboy measurements to Vogue measurements, yet women seek the opposite? I watched 'America's Next Top Model' last week and in the FIRST ROUND they kicked out the hottest one, in the opinion of myself and my wife, mind you. Because she weighed ten pounds more than the others. As a result, she was the only one with a chest! Stupid TV!

Hey, Poop, I've known quite a few people who've embraced the worldview you're railing against. The funny thing is, they're just another stupid clique. They all dress the same, just like the jocks do, just like the preppies do, just like the geeks do. I recall when Nirvana hit the big time, wearing crappy thrift store clothes (as all the hipsters in Olympia, myself included, did at the time) and the next thing you know the 'grunge look' is the IN thing, and the Gap is selling barfy flannels.

The good news is, most of us outgrow it eventually. I think it's just a holdover from High School. I don't know anyone my age any more who still gives a damn about what's hot or what's not. They just like what they like.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I KNEW the second I posted that, someone would say exactly what you said. Hahahahha.

Tracy and Arsh, I know why you think this comment was directed against you guys, but it was more just my thoughts I've been having since School. Art Students are the worst about this type of thing. I just finally decided to type out what I thought. I blame the FEVER!!

I told Doc_Rob the other day that the office wasn't the same when you weren't around Arsh, you are the best! *hugs*

Lol at MrRogers post. Good stuff brought up in this thread by all. I'm sure the vast majority of people lie somewhere in between the two extremes, but I've just experienced too much of the whole "rebel" thing since I'm (supposedly) on the other end, so I wanted to speak up about it.

I try to be aware of what other people like and that opinions differ, I don't think my opinion is always right, but I have problems sometimes calming down when someones view is brought up forcefully in my face (as I'm sure most people do). I'm always more than willing to listen to a rational discussion and take part without going overboard on the other person.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come on, haven't you figured out the most neurotic people you'll ever meet will be people in high school?....and the neurosis lingers a little while afterwards.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    neu·rot·ic (nʊ-rŏt'ĭk, nyʊ-) pronunciation
    adj.

2. Informal. A person prone to excessive anxiety and emotional upset.

hmmm just a thought guys!

Jody
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    When in fact, they are all slaves to the structured and established cool anti-mainstream culture. They're a bunch of bohemian sheep if you ask me.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I KNEW the second I posted that, someone would say exactly what you said. Hahahahha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you were wrong it was 29 minutes after! tongue.gif heheheh sorry couldnt resist!

Jody
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Amen Poop, though i will make allowances for your slip with Battlefield Earth. We all have our guilty pleasures. I have no sympathy or empathy with the "counterculture" anyway and blissfully glide in the middle of the mainstream. :-)

Scott
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    When in fact, they are all slaves to the structured and established cool anti-mainstream culture. They're a bunch of bohemian sheep if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

whom are!? and good thing no one is asking you ! what about the cool anti-anti-mainstreme mindset YOU are in! its a fact that no one is right here people can have thier own oppinions about things who are you to say they are "bohemian sheep" !! your being an ignorant sheep just by saying that!

"Bohemian \Bo*he"mi*an\, a.

2. Of or pertaining to a social gypsy or ``Bohemian'' (see Bohemian, n., 3); vagabond; unconventional; free and easy. [Modern] [1913 Webster]"

So HOW exactly can some one be a sheep and a bohemian at the same time !!?? bohemian sheep is an oxymoron!

Jody

Jody
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    What I love are people who think it's a valid response to steamroll through criticism of their bad taste by admitting it loudly and clearly like they're in a parade shouting "I'm here, I like shitty music, so get used to it!" You don't have to listen to criticism, it's all in the eye or ear of the beholder and doesn't matter one way or another anyway, but you don't have to become a cliche either.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    well said!

Jody
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Why on earth would someone who is part of what we're calling the counterculture here, want to be misunderstood?!

I've got a thick accent and I've lived most of my career in different countries from my native one, the hell with being misunderstood!

Personally speaking, I actually despair that more people don't share my POV or tastes, I don't get any kind of buzz from being different, I get a buzz from feeling connected to others around me instead of feeling alienated!

The other day at work I discovered our new sound guy Mike Larson is a fucking monster movie nut with a collection of 2700 DVD's and I was able to rattle off obscure movies I loved and thought funny and he knew wtf I was talking about.

When I suggested he loan me a couple of obscure movies and he half retreated to a safe entrenched position where he explained that a lot of the time he would loan people these 'classic name' films and people would just be trying to impress him and instead, the films would simply sit around in their apartments for months unwatched.

I thought ' YES, I know exactly what you mean and it feels great to meet someone else that despairs at the overlay image conscious tits that most people betray themselves as being, unable to simply say they are uninterested in the classics and find Jerry Bruckenheimers story's mentally challenging'!!!

I guess I'm trying to say that being on the opposite side of whatever side you are on does not necessitate our being posers. Granted, there are people wearing masks so much that they have forgotten their real face, in all walks of life.

But its worth bearing in mind there are many of us here who are the counterculture through genuine alienation borne out of always having simply gone their own way due to most of the people they knew, not really being the sort of people that inspired imitation!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know who Kelly Clarkson is, Linkin Park make whiney-rock, although their collaboration with Jay-Z was oddly better than the individual pieces, Star Wars is blah, it's best without Lucas' involvement, the new one looks like he's finally wised up to not pandering to marketing though. I hate fish, unless it's from the chippie, I've heard of Quicksilver, but I can't remember what their stuff looks like, yay for spacesluts, the big-ass marine in armour is overdone, it takes a great concept or great technical skill to impress now. Yep, Serious Sam rocked. i've seen a few minutes of it, with travolta in a bad costume. the ff movie had fuck all to do with the ff games, they should have used one of the game storylines, the thriller easter egg rocks
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I've noticed as I've gotten older that songs I thought sucked and bands I thought sucked, (when I was a teenager} are somehow okay now and I like hearing them blush.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've noticed as I've gotten older that songs I thought sucked and bands I thought sucked, (when I was a teenager} are somehow okay now and I like hearing them blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The opposite it sadly true, too...
    Nowadays I almost feel ashamed for some of the music I liked when I was younger wink.gif
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quicksilver use to be a bunch of cool looking t-shirts sold to surfers.

Now wannabe surfers wear Quicksilver.

So I'm like those elitist snobs you were talking about earlier......MY BEACH, MY SURF, MY CHICKS....GO HOME, GO HOME!!.....maybe real estate prices will go down.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    (IMHO) If you are secure with yourself you don't need to validate your likes or dislikes through the approval of others.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Iv heard sandi is has a great surf!

Jody
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Woohoo. I am one with the universe! I usually have no reason to argue a point or to make a statement unless i think it has some sort of worth other than to merely express an opinion. That maeks me a happy clam, and a silent one at that wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    You know, there are situations when the puppets of society also insult those who choose to follow their own path. And sometimes those tortured "individuals" are simply a product of nature living in an unnatural modern society.

I don't give a shit what name is on my jeans as long as they fit and keep me warm when my AC goes out. I drink water instead of Pepsi (soft drinks)...because water has more water in it. And the body needs lots of water. I can be young, and have more fun...while drinking water. Call me crazy. I turned off the television years ago. I know it's odd, but the whole idea of "buy this, buy this, buy this", just doesn't entertain me. I don't smoke because I enjoy having lungs...so don't fucking smoke around me you arrogant weakminded self-destructive puppets. edit: this comment is directed towards those who feel they can smoke wherever they want without consideration towards others.

I don't like large fake tittied women because it's ugly and unnatural. It's a complete waste of artistic talent to include the images within games. It's marketing. It's boring. And everyone falls for it. It confuses children as to what is normal. It causes poor self-image among women and young girls. It degrades their role in society, and draws unwanted attention to a natural female human trait. Breasts are not sex objects. They provide Naturally Acquired Passive Immunity to newborns. To display them as sexual for the sake of profit is perverted and damaging towards society. Woman should have the freedom live in a world where their natural bodies aren't exploited and exaggerated. They should have the same freedom as men to display their bodies without the fear of breaking laws, and drawing unwanted sexual attention. To imprison them from that is sick and disrespectful.

Movies are a form of expression. If the movie tells me that merchandise, marketing, and following the latest trends is more important than the freedom of artistic expression, imaginative storytelling, and creativity...then I care nothing for it. Worship the almighty dollar.

Oh, and I find that generic UT2k4 characters with meaningless egyptian and mayan style decoration pasted on them who fight on fictional planets simply for the sake of being cool...very boring. But that's just my taste.

I am who I am, and not because of what I purchase, watch, wear, listen to, believe in. I try my best to keep it that way. And that makes me happy.

my rant over.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    im with ror, i think it sucks that not more of my peers know what im talking about. when i mention pink floyd, steppenwolf, skynyrd, etc they have no idea what the fuck they're on about. when i mention bubba ho-tep or dead alive they dont know what im talking about. i dont do things to be "different" i do thinkgs because i like them. it just so turns out that i dont like whate everyone else i know likes.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Elysium you said a lot of good stuff man! and i agree with it all but just because you dont smoke dont belittle us that do! "so don't fucking smoke around me you arrogant weakminded self-destructive puppets" i think not i am neather arrogant nor a puppet i may be self destructive and weak minded (at elast when it comes to nicotine, any one who sais they smoke and can stop when ever they want are laying !) i dont smoke around non smokers! i respect other people i just enjoy smoking sorry if that bothers you i hate non smokers who think they are the greatest people on earth just because they dont smoke ! everyone has thier demons.. YOU to i wouldnt believe you if you said you didnt! but yehh everything else is well said especialy the stuff about large breast its ashame on kids like 14 who are getting surgery and shit that is sick ! and women look alot more pretty with natural breasts.. as for games i think if your model is good thier is no need for huge breast it will just detract from your model, unless it part of the design!

Jody
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like tits.

[/ QUOTE ]

pfft philistine!

My more discriminating palette prefers ass!
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like tits.

[/ QUOTE ]

pfft philistine!

My more discriminating palette prefers ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you do ! wink.gif

Jody
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should point out btw, that tolerance is a fine thing.

My wife has taught me tolerance. She loves Jerry Bruckenheimer films, her favourite film is Dirty Dancing, a guilty pleasure for her true, but she's the one that made me buy The day after tomorrow and I cuddle in with her and watch that because thats 'her thing' and when I put on 'Little Cesear' she remarks when looking at the cover 'oh, its black and white, you wonted mind if I fall asleep during it will you?' wink.gif

Does she need to be wrong for me to be right?
    I don't think so, no more than I need to be wrong for her to be right.

Tolerance is a fine ideal, it's not something any of us can live will fulltime, but in manageable doses its a great thing right?

When I spoke up in defense of the counterculture, I wasn't damning the mainstream for not agreeing with me and I don't think anyone else should be so quick to judge either because in 10 years time, everyone on this board is going to be a different person.

As near as I can tell, thats how time works, its better to just enjoy what you do without ranting that others should be like you, its natural enough to despair now and then if you can't relate to people, but just ranting at individuality is missing the point no?

This isn't aimed at any one person, I'd just prefer to express a POV that perhaps most of us could agree on rather than arguing over something as impossible and pointless as which colour of the rainbow is the best one!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to just be less sensitive about this type of thing. It would be great if everyone could display the tollerance that Rorshach mentioned when someone expresses a differing opinion, but that's not really how it is.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    blue deffinatly! :P just kidding nice point! i think its group hug time wink.gif

Jody
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I need to just be less sensitive about this type of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No shit.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gok: yeah, give us a kiss gorgeous smile.gif