Home General Discussion

AI Art, Good or Bad? A (hopefully) nuanced take on the subject.

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Automating the drudgery, I actually like that approach. 

However as far as I can tell it’s still burdened with unethical/illegal data scraping.

it doesn't have to be. 

I have seen (with my own eyes) realtime ML cloth sims trained off in house data  -  Its not a great leap to think the same is viable with muscle sims and so on.
    Because you're simply trying to replace a simulation with something that runs faster you can easily generate that data by running the original sim lots of times. Additionally, because you're working off actual data you don't need an LLM to interpret it and can use a much more focused approach. 

(this does of course require that the people building the tool are doing it properly and aren't simply repackaging an opensource LLM)

• zetheros
  • Eric Chadwick
    Wow. But not unprecedented, lots of scraping going on.

Interesting to see clarifications from Creative Commons about AI vs. their licenses:
    https://creativecommons.org/2023/08/18/understanding-cc-licenses-and-generative-ai/

In particular:
    ... we believe there are strong arguments that, in most cases, using copyrighted works to train generative AI models would be fair use in the United States, and such training can be protected by the text and data mining exception in the EU. ...

Which is kind of sad to see, from a content creator's standpoint. But they also outline a lot of the existing uncertainties in their article.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I must say I fail to understand why "Creative Commons" believe they have any say on the matter of the use (authorized or not) of copyrighted work in AI training. They do provide a useful framework for a bunch of premade license types and that's great ; but they do not define any law whatsoever, and them seing something as "fair use" doesn't mean that it is ...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Oh of course not. But I do see them as an informed source on copyright matters, so it's interesting to see what their opinion is, given this is an ongoing matter and not resolved yet.
  • iam717
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Think they are on the idea of the law where you can be recorded outside because you are outside, like how there are cameras everywhere now.  So they are i suspect trying to say that since the internet is an equivalent to being outside and you are blatantly posting your "creative works" "effectively outside your home to a server outside your residence they see it as sadly.  Now i am 1000% against this stuff as this creativity takes years to develop and the sloppy people who do not practice anything other than how to manipulate a situation benefit more than those that take time to create and develop aspects of value and those without value benefit off the backs of those that have.

And afaik, they are scraping everything now cause people are pushing for laws to prevent this which is stoopid as fox cause its after the fact which is how they always do these things to the "average person".
  • myclay