Home General Discussion

AI Art, Good or Bad? A (hopefully) nuanced take on the subject.

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Neox said:
    Paid by a NFT company he has stake in.
    Wait, really? I did not know this. 
    :skull::skull:
  • ModBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Alex_J said:
    the more i think about it, the only thing i really see AI doing is giving more power to the anti-social types and owning class.

for 99% of human history, a persons value was in their character. What they do daily, and this is summarized as reputation and known locally. Reputation has to be maintained daily - you can't accrue billions of reputations and then hold that as leverage over others. 

industrialization killed the age of character and now the only means of leverage a worker has is what they know. They have to try and learn something valuable and rare so they can gain enough leverage to be worth keeping around by the owning class. 

if work is gone, the only thing i see being left is what effect a person can have on how others feel. This will skew value even more to anti-social types and make life for working class even more volatile in an attention driven economy as the modern consumer has the attention span of a gnat.

Basically it's an attempt to monopolize the value of labor in a knowledge-based market - the ultimate power grab - because value of labor is really only thing people have in a system where means of production are owned by a few. Whatever the large scale effect will be, I doubt it will make life more stable, more just, more fair, or more enjoyable for the majority of people.

Well lets think about it a little more. I don't think a persons value is going to be reduced in the way your thinking should work be removed from the equation. Lets say we're in this dystopian future where AI has replaced the majority of human labor.

I think the key question to figure out what happens from there first is survival. By such a hypothetical future, UBI or some variant of it will be implemented because we'll still be in a monetary based society where it takes money to live. It'll be enough to afford the basics like some food, water, healthcare, etc ,but I would imagine thats about it. So what becomes of jobs if we're not forced to do them? Jobs would become optional at that point. They'd serve a few purposes in general I think:

-the ability to earn more than whatever UBI gives you (or perhaps UBI cuts out if you get a job?) so you can afford a better life
    -people who want to have purpose in their life
    -people who just want something to do instead of sitting around all day
    -people who have skills that AI/machines simply can't do that effectively

I consider those to be very realistic possibilities for what could happen should we find ourselves in that situation. Thats just focusing on people who want jobs however. As said by this point in our hypothetical scenario, UBI exists so there is nothing that really forces you to go to work. Its moreso a want /desire to work more than anything. Basically, this will create a society where human value is determined by those who want to get off their ass and actually be someone. I would say its better to argue the importance of a job is what would be reduced and as such, individualism/desire becomes more important.

Now would this be better than our current way of life....dunno.
  • myclay
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    myclay said:
    From X (got on it by following links, I never liked twitter).

THIS is pure offensive insanity. Adobe is claiming royalty-free rights to copy and make new content out of customers' assets. Adobe is claiming that they can then sub-license customer assets to OTHER companies. They describe a "reasonable" use-case, but describe no limitations.

So we can take (scrape) whatever we want. I don't know about you but I don't want adobe to have any access to my work at all!
    So not only can we take (scrape) your stuff we can also sell it! It's amazing these guys can walk, the b...s on them.
    Now I know why I don't use any adobe products.
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    mmm would be like removing everyone else from the equation, thank for the "free" work time to make money on it, cha-ching-aling!
    That is how mafia works.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    So they can take work from unannounced projects and pieces under NDA and sell/repurpose them at will?
    It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    And, mEtA announcing proudly that they are already training their stuff on anything that is posted "publicly" - full-on attempting the usual heist of "if it's posted on the pUbLiC iNtErNeT, then it's free to use".

https://petapixel.com/2024/05/14/meta-is-using-your-instagram-photos-to-train-its-amazing-ai-image-generator/

This + the Adobe debacle + 700 000 people joining Cara overnight, all in the span of a few weeks. Yay tech world !
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    why is cara any different than artstation or deviant art or anything else? If I can right click and save an image, surely the geniuses can still scrape it, right?

I bet somebody has a good answer, but I also bet that after some time it will come out that cara (or anything on the internet claiming to be some sort of safe haven) was just an opportunistic cash grab nothing burger, similar to green-washing. Say the words people want to hear, don't actually do anything.
    But maybe it is run by true purist who would die defending the dignity of artist... even if that is the case, I don't think you can protect your work on the internet from the richest thieves on the internet. I think the only way is to go full mujahideen - nothing digital whatsoever. Doubt that's feasible since artist at large compete with each other rather than cooperate, but probably better to just assume anything you post on the internet will always be scraped.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh, I am absolutely not saying that Cara is *the* solution - as a matter of fact I am not planning to join it anytime soon since I have my own self-hosted folio anyways. But I think it is well worth keeping an eye on, and the mere fact that 700 000 artists ditched IG for it in a matter of days says a lot about how quickly things can happen when people are fed up. The founder of Cara also has an excellent track record, and recently won her appeal in a case of plagiarism from a "photo-copier-painter" who stole her work, producing a painting based on it without a license.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/06/06/a-social-app-for-creatives-cara-grew-from-40k-to-650k-users-in-a-week-because-artists-are-fed-up-with-metas-ai-policies/

About the platform, from what I've gathered :
    - Their stance is clear : no AI-vomit allowed. Meaning that at the very least, it could become a place for artists to browse art without having  to think about AI-vomit, or having to double-check everything.
    - On scraping : the standout feature of Cara is the built-in Glaze support, which ultimately could make it the easiest way for artists to get their images Glazed, as not everyone can run the standalone version. Meaning that there are now three ways for people to Glaze their work : through Cara, through standalone Glaze, and through webGlaze (which requires submitting a request and art portfolio, hence similar to Cara in that regard.)
  • CyberdemoN_1542
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberdemoN_1542 polycounter lvl 5
    This is FUCKING INSANE!!! is this even legal?
    Now they're going to scrape my 3D models and textures and use them to train my replacement. Just fucking amazing...What am I supposed to make my textures in, GIMP??!
    Maybe I should start pirating their software.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photopea is free, and an excellent replacement for Photoshop. I use it at home, it has nearly everything PS including PSD, hotkeys, 8bit/16bit/32bit, and a few extra filters PS doesn't have like a decent normal map filter and an excellent dilation filter. 
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    another day, another riccitello moment lmao

+1 for Krita btw
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    zetheros said:

+1 for Krita btw

Also +1 for Krita!  In fact there are alternative open software solutions for most of the stuff people here need.
  • PolyHertz
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Oh yeah baby. Greedy holes of 'A'!
    Just threw up in my mouth a little.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    zetheros said:

+1 for Krita btw

Hadn't realised it's as old as dirt til I had a look, must be something in the water these vikings are drinking over there that speaks too longevity in the foss space....

OT - and in terms of 'ethical' so called business practices these tech entities are attempting to obfuscate of late, I'll just quote Lewis Hamilton (F1 racer) when covid initially hit the grand prix back in 2020, here in Melbourne simply as:

"Cash is King"