I am new to the polycount community! I am in the process of working in games as an environment/prop artist and I am also in the process of really learning and understanding trim sheets. I figured my first post could be about what I have learned about trim sheets so far and eventually building a scene using MOSTLY colour variations of one trim sheet on both scenic elements and props.
So please feel free to comment, add words of wisdom, tear me down a bit if needed, and perhaps this could be useful to someone else in the future..
So I started by following, fairly close, a tutorial series by Tim at Polygon Academy on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipfrjCgYW8
He has the best info I've found so far on basics of trim sheets, understanding technique, etc.
I started with a basic breakdown of a 4m x 4m plane, broke it down into useable sections, separated into 7 main trim areas, then broke down a few of those even more
I then proceeded to extrude my sections into the depth I was after and deleting faces I did not need, making sure to keep faces on any bricks I had decided to have sculpted edges on.
Next, I went to work sculpting everything in Blender. It was an ordeal at first, I'm new to tiling techniques and working with many different sculpting sections at once, but it started to click and in the end it didn't take as long as I feared, a few hours really, until I was happy enough. Found a few rock brushes for some of the smaller details, but otherwise the scrape tool was my best friend, with a little clay strips here and there. Of course there were still a few tweaks after seeing how it tiled.
EDIT: (forgot to put this in before)
Before exporting my high rez mesh for baking, I tiled on either side on my sculpts copies of the opposite sides to solve the AO problem that will arise during baking. Those lines seen will not be there when baked.
Next was baking and painting! I did that in Substance painter. For my for ornate section, I had purchased a library of tileable textures from artstation, found one I liked, and ended up doing all the tiling work in photoshop on the UV's, creating my base colour, metallic, roughness, and height maps all in photoshop and bringing them into Substance. It worked suuper well, had tons of control, and I didn't have to deal with sculpting that tiling detail.
Here are my maps
Here it is tiling!! I let out a sigh of relief when I saw it was finally working.
Next was getting my new trim on a basic shape. I chose round as I felt it was a good first challenge to line everything up, unwrap properly, and get an interesting result!
Here are my UV's. They look terrible. But they work.
And here is my final result of my first real venture into trim sheets! Just a quick Blender render in cycles. I managed to line up what I wanted to line up, get my bricks working in my favour, and show off most aspects of my trim.
My plan next is to start planning and building a scene with this trim in mind. The final result will be in UE, I imagine. But either way I will keep adding to this post as I progress!
Again, if you can add to this or have feedback, I am alll ears!