Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Hehe yeah this is a very Blenderesque case : under the hood it is actually really quite elegant (as being able to pack while still allowing refreshes from source is truly a great design imho - it allows me to work very safely with all the advantages of working from external textures, while still being certain that I won't ever lose anything months down the line even if my folder structure changes for whatever reason) ; but the UX has inconsistencies and oddities, like the way Reload is allowed from the menu and from a hotkey, yet not allowed from the side panel as you pointed out.

The only explanation I can think of is that the concept of packing while still retaining the link to the original and still allowing reloads from it is likely a feature that has been introduced later than packing itself, and the "graying out" behavior for packed files (which is really just a UI behavior and says nothing about the so-called validity of the path itself) didn't get the design attention it deserves.

Also, my guess is that the greyed out nature of these buttons is not determined by the path being invalid in and of itself (as in : not pointing to any existing file on disc), but only by the fact that the image data currently in use is packed.

So it follows that there are really 2 paths being stored there : the internal path inside the Blend, AND the external path, just greyed out. Otherwise there would be no way for Blender to refresh from source, and the "Unpack - Use original" feature wouldn't exist.

-----

As for "Edit externally" : indeed this is inconsistent since in my case the path is valid (or shall I say : it points to a file that actually exists, and that Blender considers as source all this time, despite it displaying the path as greyed out/invalid) and I should be able to open and edit the source (and indeed I can - just not initiated by Blender, only manually). That too to me is an artificial limitation imposed by the UI because under the hood it is actually supported (as demonstrated in the video).

Ironically I am not too warm at the idea of bringing it up as an issue/dev thread, as this could lead to the reloading from source of packed files to be disabled altogether, even though it is a fantastic feature.

(Nice Windows user name BTW :D)

• Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Yeah, better don't wake up sleeping dogs here :D

• quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11

Blender devs asking for feedback on designing texturing tools, voice your opinion guys !

https://code.blender.org/2022/02/layered-textures-design/

edit: the devtalk discussion is happening here:

https://devtalk.blender.org/t/layered-textures-design-feedback/23092

• wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8

I have a question regarding Blender 3.1 and OBJ exports. I have a problem here that I already had with older versions Blender, but I knew how to fix it there. This method does not seem to work in Blender 3.1 anymore.

The problem is with the naming of the objects/ meshes after OBJ export. Blender 3.1 changes the names of the mesh objects contained within the file. When I have an object named e.g. 'arms_low' in a Blender file, export it in OBJ format, and then re-import the OBJ, the same object is now named 'arms_low_arms_low_arms'.

As I said, I had this problem already with older versions of Blender, but there was a way to 'fix' it. All I had to do was to make sure that both object name and mesh name were the same (object named 'arms_low', and mesh named 'arms_low' as well).

This doesn't work anymore in Blender 3.1. Even if both object and mesh names are the same, Blender still changes the object names to gibberish, or attaches the mesh name to the object name. This is very unfortunale, as it makes it impossible to use OBJs exported from Blender for texturing in Substance Painter or Marmoset Toolbag, they rely on exact naming conventions.

Any ideas/ solutions for this?

• Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Report it as a bug. It is one :)

• Oaken
    Offline / Send Message
    Oaken polycounter lvl 10

Hey guys,

I made a small video to show off some of the UV techniques I use to one of my buddies and since I've never seen any tutorial or anyone use theses techniques I thought I'd share it here too. Hope someone finds this useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X6X-47iL0o

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor

@Oaken Any reason why you don't just use pinning and Live Unwrap? Select verts, pin, auto-align, and you're done. No faffing about with UV coordinates, inverse and box selections and all that?

Edit: You could also save a few keystrokes and clicks when trying to align your border verts (like in the arm) if all the border verts are pinned, you can just alt-click the loop that contains both verts, and then right-click, auto-align. I know it only saves a couple of clicks, but they really add up when you're aligning a ton of verts.

Edit 2: You don't happen to know Guillaume Tiberghien, do you? He's a fantastic character artist (and a fantastic guy!) that's up in your neck of the woods. If you do, tell him I said hi!

• Defunct
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10

What's going on @ 0:12. unselected verts automatically pinned? 🤔

• Oaken
    Offline / Send Message
    Oaken polycounter lvl 10

@Brandon.LaFrance Oh wow, I think when I started switching to blender I didn't grasp what the live unwrap/pin actually does so I discarded it and found an addon that applies the unwrap algorithm only to the selection... essentially the reverse of what live unwrap does.. Makes me feel dumb. I'm the one learning from this after all, It does look more efficient and feels more "free flowing" from the short time I've been testing it since your comment.

@Defunct It's part of an addon that applies the same algorithm from the unwrap option but only to the selection and not the whole uv island.

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor

@Oaken Hah, don't be too hard on yourself, we all have our blind spots. Not doubt there are a million things in my workflow that are "suboptimal" to say the least. I just don't know about them because I'm too scared to go out on a limb and post stuff like you did. Just glad I could help you out. Keep up the good work, and keep sharing your knowledge!

• quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message

@Oaken would love to learn the name of that addon if you dont mind. That workflow of unwrap only selected part of the uv is very handy in maya. Sounds like this addon allow blender to do the same.

• Oaken
    Offline / Send Message
    Oaken polycounter lvl 10

@quockhanhlk https://alexbel.gumroad.com/l/NbMya

The addon as other features which I've never used, the unwrap selected was the only thing I wanted. The hotkey should be Shift+E by default and It doesn't work with UV sync activated

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator

Made a new video showcasing the new Zen BQQ (Build Bevels Quickly) addon for Blender :)

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter

@LuisCherubini Thanks for sharing this here - I didn't have that zen plugin in my radar, and I'm glad I know of it now!

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah, it's a time saving thingy, the bevels controlled by custom attributes. The devs are located in Russia and Ukraine, so any little contribution / donation really helps them right now

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

hi :) Can't seem to find the quad-remesh function in current Blender 3.1.2 (I think it was "Quadriflow"? It's mentioned here in the docu ). I vaguely remember using it in a previous build. Was it removed? If anyone knows anything or has any suggestions, happy to hear it! Saw there is a paid addon "Quad Remesher".

• quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message

You can find it here under object data properties/ remesh, there are both voxel remesher and quad(riflow) remesher.

The quad remesher addon is expensive, but works very well and worth it if you understand and know how to include it into your workflow.

• Fabi_G
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6

Have they fixed/updated the UV tools in the latest version of Blender?

• Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Not that i know of. No significant changes in this area. https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/3.1

• xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10

They just hired a guy to work on UV tools. I haven't seen anything about what is planned yet, but hopefully it gets some upgrades soon.

Phabricator activity: https://developer.blender.org/p/chrisbblend/

Weekly reports: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Chris_Blackbourn/WeeklyReports

• Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Yes, but i fear this will not make it in a nearer future release. This all first needs to be developed. And this is open ended in features and time frame.

• xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10

Well, the links I posted shows he has already been developing stuff. Several of his patches are already in for the 3.2 release. Plus, Project Heist aims to improve pbr/texture paint/baking workflows. So I would imagine improved UV editing is related to that.

• TechyandCreative

Hi everybody! I'm a newbie here! I do know a couple things about Blender, though. So, thought, maybe I should share here a tutorial I made about using Blender and about making your first project in it. I know somebody out there might need something like this. Especially if they are a complete beginner and don't know much about Blender but want to learn a new skill fast and create something very cool. Enjoy and let me know what you think.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMSu-LPuCI

• KirtleyKhaos

Hey guys I have a question regarding baking. Basically, I have this cauldron here which I sculpted a small detail into as a test and was confused as to where to go from here to achieve the low poly from this model. Do I duplicate and decrease the multi-res?

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

The Multiresolution Modifier in Blender has so to speak it's lowpoly "already included" and the bake function has a Bake from Multires option. But i have never seen a Solidify Modifier after a Mutires..

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator

Is there a way to use this tool and have it go back to the selection tool after you created the primitive?

• Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Use hotkey W :)

The old tools are one trick tools. After activation and usage they are deactivated. But the paradigm for the new tool system in the tool shelf is that such a tool stays active as long as you don't switch to another tool. So you have to switch it actively.

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator

That little white grid can be removed?

• Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

No, it's part of the widget.

• wilson66
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8

Hi,

I have a really strange problem with Blender 2.9: I can't access the Particle Edit tool options, like brush size ect, because they are hidden behind the menu (see screenshot). The menu UI is actually on top of the tool options, covering it (you can see it in the gaps between buttons).

I can simply flip the tool options to the bottom of the UI, but I'd like to know whats going on here and how to fix it. Thanks!

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

@wilson66 Strange stuff! Works fine for me on 2.93.3 at least. Perhaps try with a new tab/resized window and create a new startup scene?

Question for the group: anybody know what's going on with Pie Menu Editor addon? I noticed updates were really lagging for a while now where in the past the author was all over the thread on Blenderartists and super quick with updates. Now it looks like it's not even properly 3.2-compatible.

Wanted to dip my toes into the new version - but can't use Blender without that... 😩

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message

For the overlapping menu in Blender.. i'm not sure if i remember this correctly but if your workspace is acting weird just try to add a new Layout (or in you case Modeling) workspace which may don't have this problem (you can delete the old and rename the new and reorder if this works).

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Hello all,

Is there a clever add-on out there (or perhaps a default way ?) to create a simple material (say, Principled BRDF or even just Diffuse) as well as a plain white or grey texture connected to the diffuse input of said material, all in one single action ? All this without having to interact with the material tab and the node editor. In other words I'd like to be able to paint right away on any model that has UVs without any interruption. I find myself having to do that a lot, and the lengthy process of creating a new material and texture each time is seriously getting in the way, to the point that I end up using other ways (grease pencil, sculpt vcols ...) even though painting a good old texture would without a doubt be best.

This sounds relatively straightforward to script, but there has to be some handy little add-on out there doing just that - perhaps with the option to set the color of the texture and resolution for instance ?

Thanks !

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Hi pior, Would a Material Library do the trick?

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Hello - I don't believe so, as it would only take care of the creation of the materials, but not that of the blank textures. I'd have to double check though.

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message

Using Texture Tools for Blender :

you can in the UV Editing workpace/viewport click the Checker Map creation button and instantly switch into Texture Painting workspace/vieport and paint onto your object.. Maybe using one additional click for choosing the size.. (and maybe one for new material.. 😅) (Dont' forget to save the image additionally to saving the blend file). The material setup will use a Principlaed BSDF shader with image node with no texture coordinate and vector mapping node like with the node warngler (Ctrl-T in Shader Editor ; uv is used by standard even without this).

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Hey @okidoki , that's pretty clever ! That totally works, and even better than expected actually. Much thanks :)

• LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message

Sharing my latest finished #blender Project, "Scout Drone".

Its a reference from Roc H's concept art, You can find more renders at: luischerub.com

Enjoy!

• Chrismartinartist
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrismartinartist polycounter lvl 2

Quick question, when opening Blender all my collections are expanded, is there a way to collapse them all in one click/key?

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Pressing numpad-/numpad+ with the cursor over outliner collapses/expands collections for me.

• Chrismartinartist
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message

Hello all,

With Boxcutter gradually becoming more and more bloated, is there a good alternative out there that goes back to the basics of cutting a model with polylines/cubes/cylinders without any fuss, just like BC originally did in the 2.7x days ? Blender does ship with Carver, but it too is awkward and convoluted to use. Any suggestion is welcome !

• SomeAB
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeAB polycounter lvl 3

Shift+Left Click on the highest collection "Scene Collection".

You can try out Fluent (see BlenderMarket)

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Ha, that Fluent addon does look good indeed ! I remember seeing it a while ago but didn't take the time to try it and forgot about it. Thanks :)

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator

Sometimes when working on mesh that are not native to blender it will messe up the shading and you have to "reset vectors" to fix it, but it can happen again. Is there a way to make it permant?

• okidoki
    Offline / Send Message

You do know this: Object Data Properties -> Geometry Data -> Clear Custom Split Normlas Data ?

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator

@okidoki I did not, thank you!

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

SO i was having a terrible problem with the mist pass in that you get a lot of white noise from any items that use alpha like tree leaves, windows etc

I think I kind of have fixed it by bumping up the samples for transparency to 128 i think also denoising the mist pass in composite should fix it further. It seems that the white bits are from lack of samples and the more samples you use, the less noise you get from the alpha( like tree leaves , windows etc)

Now its just case of finding the minimum amount of samples I can get away with.

I used minimum light bounce of 3 and minimum transparent bounces of 3 with 128 samples for the max transparency bounces. looks ok, just a few left over noisy bits but not totally white and looks ok in the final comp

if you zoom in you can see there is still a bit of noise, but less horrendous and it just about works in the final comp.Maybe a bit of blur or denoise can fix it further

The zebra crossing is alpha, as are the tree leaves - On the rest I used transmission which looks fine in the mist pass

The Eeevee version so much cleaner, so i guess it is technically a bug, but I finally found a way to make it work for me

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Hello all,

Is there a way (or a clever workaround ...) to convert a Face Set from sculpt mode to a sculpt mask ? (This is something I've been hoping to be able to do ever since face sets got introduced but this wasn't possible back then). Any workaround is welcome as long as it doesn't rely on extracting geo. And of course I am aware that brushes can be made aware of face sets for some useful tricks, but that's not what I am looking for - I just want a regular black mask.

(I suppose that what I am looking for is some automated way to convert face sets to vertex groups, and then somehow being able to convert a given vertex group to a mask)

Some hint here : https://blenderartists.org/t/how-to-turn-face-sets-from-sculpt-mode-into-vertex-groups/1235783

[edit] Ha, nevermind - one can simply isolate the current face set and then paint that easily with the mask brush. Solved !