Home Adobe Substance

Designer normals not appearing in substance painter as it would be.

I am trying to replicate a similar flaky surface in substance painter for creating worn paint surface, but normals almost look correct but substance painter won't do it anyway, Is there anything else do I need to care about to get exact same results in painter or it does have any limitation?

Flaky surface detail I am trying to replicate: 

In substance painter 

video here: https://youtu.be/WvKRRxQGmlA 

Replies

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Perhaps it's  something with the fact Painter use -1 to 1 values   for the height  and Designer  typically 0-1 .       Just a guess .     I have no idea.    I myself  gave up fighting  Painter quirks long ago
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    In the second  image it looks like the imported normal is hidden  and may even be loaded into a mask.  

Anyway.  The correct way to do this would be publish the effect from designer as sbsar and load it into painter. 
    There's stuff about how to set this up properly in the documentation
  • Sayooj_js
     I have used a normal map in a separate fill layer later applied an anchor point to set up micro normal in the main blue painted layer, thanks for replying btw. 
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's the fact it's plugged into an input marked grayscale that concerned me. But I can never quite remember how painter wrangles it's UI for anchor points til I have to go fix something for someone

Generally speaking I'd recommend working with height in painter rather than normals - it's much easier to manipulate the data and visually there's sod all difference for this sort of surface information